Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

You have never helped anyone, ever. Not once in 30,000 posts. All you do is spread your failure for all to see and try to frighten the newbies. You are the definition a a troll.

No, a troll posts to annoy people, we were trying to have a sensible discussion until the die hard fanboys arrive insults in hand. Either take part in it or take a trip to the doctor to stock up on some medication it might help ease the anger issues.

I would suggest anyone buying a D7000 do as you do for any other camera or product (even non photo stuff) just check it over make sure it is to your satisfaction.

For Nikon DSLR's I would pay particular attention to the AF and make sure you are happy with that. Every maker has problems, but Nikon seems to have had a lot of problems in comparison to other makers.

jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875

ott77n wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

It is sometimes user error...from inexperienced users,

True truth. Sometimes it is. How much experience do you have?

...:)    OK, ott...how much experience do YOU have ?   With SLRs ?  With shooting ?  Selling images ?    ....can hardly wait. 

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100
Re: You can find..

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

AF complaints on every model of DSLR ever made to varying degrees that is.

Lemon bodies will hit the shelves from every maker that is life and a reality. But it should not be so high in numbers that the market is flooded with iffy bodies.

There are a few other points, average D7k user might spot this..some might not. There are complaints about other Nikon models, but not as many as the D7000. That may or may not reflect the actual situation. Chances are some D7k D3100/5100 users might not even notice issues..some will

There there is the "tolerance" part where users can come to accept things..such as Mira here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50110247

Basically saying what I have all along inconsistency in AF and suggests using live view. I just don't think the D7k is that good for AF after owning 2 of them. Some might accept it..I personally do not. I also noted some mirror vibrations at some shutter speeds causing some blur..which I did not on the D90 separate issues but it did show up for me.

I do hope we get beyond the stage of simply saying the AF is complicated, or just settings, users fault of blaming the lenses, pixel density, or limitations of phase detect AF. It's quite possible your idea of decent AF is a million miles away from mine. D7k is IMHO not that good for AF, and I'm not the first person to suggest that either

The AF on the lil consumer D7K is not that complicated.  It's also not that advanced.  And not rudimentary.  Many were hoping it would be of similiar performance as the 7D...but it is not.  Granted, the 7D is a significant amount more $, and that must be remembered.  Not many buyers of the D7k were expecting it to be like a D3...just closer to compete with the 7D.   It does compete, but loses most of those competions.  It is easier to beat the AF on the 60D, which is priced slighly below the 7D...and which I did not want either.

My ratings...and don't yell too too loudly...:)

7D--9/10

D7k--8/10

D600--6/10.

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 25,650

jonrobertp wrote:

ott77n wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

...:) OK, ott...how much experience do YOU have ? With SLRs ? With shooting ? Selling images ? ....can hardly wait.

If you take the time to check his gallery you will see that as of May he had taken over 11,000 exposures with a D7000.   I thought you returned yours late in 2011 and took to the Canon PowerShot exclusively. I think that might be what he's referring too.  You also have a New Sony that seems to be working great. I like those pics.  Well done. I've also suggested CDAF only a good move for Barry until thing change for him. The newer system are very nice in many ways.

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 25,650
Subjective.

jonrobertp wrote:

The AF on the lil consumer D7K is not that complicated. It's also not that advanced. And not rudimentary. Many were hoping it would be of similiar performance as the 7D...but it is not.

Actually the 4800DX system was a step up from the 7D in most ways.

My ratings...and don't yell too too loudly...:)

7D--9/10

D7k--8/10

D600--6/10.

Remember it was only a month ago that you stared a thread asking how the AF system on the 7D worked. At that time you where quite confused as to the similarities  and differences in the AF-Area modes of both cameras. You even were unaware that "Single point with expansion" was the same as Nikon's. "9pt" though the Canon version a bit more limited in number of arrays used. No disrespect, I'm only pointing this out so that folks might realize your ratings are based on not really ever using the 7D or D600. I didn't want folks still deciding to get misinformation. That does not mean that your ratings are not valid.....just subjective based on reports.

cerberusjf Regular Member • Posts: 350

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

All this while, you and Barry and all the other whiners could have been taking lots of pictures with your cameras which were close enough to being in perfect focus, a state, btw, which exists but rarely. If you think that bailing and going over to Fuji is going to make things better, you're in for a rude awakening. Every consumer camera and every pro camera to a lesser extent focuses a bit off 99.9% of the time. That's just a fact. If you confine yourself to test charts and newspapers taped to the wall, you're for the funny farm.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/07/autofocus-reality-part-1-center-point-single-shot-accuracy

I just read this and none of this is news.  It is pretty easy to find out that PDAF is not as accurate as CDAF, and neither are 100% precise.  I am not looking for perfection.  I was also prepared for front or back focus problems because the D5100 doesn't have focus fine tune.

Nikon acknowledged my 35mm 1.8 was back-focusing (not exactly a rare problem with that lens).  The fact that they forgot to check it first time was disappointing.  This lens, along with my 50mm 1.8 is now consistently front-focusing.   The newspaper taped to the wall was a focus test and at no time was the newspaper anywhere near in focus with PDAF.  All the shots showed front focus, which indicates the camera/lens combo is now front focusing.  As it is happening with my 50mm 1.8 as well (which Nikon have not indicated finding a fault with, though it's not clear) I suspect the camera.

I agree that focus testing is a fast track to the madhouse, which is why I am very frustrated with Nikon.  If there is something wrong, I have to send it in.  If Nikon don't fix it, or don't do it correctly, I have to send it in again.  I do shoot other things, but so far have had to resort to "work-arounds" to make up for the poor accuracy of the PDAF.

The plain truth is that you and Gibraltar's most famous citizen have failed where the vast majority have succeeded brilliantly. Might just possbly be time for a reevaluation there.

If you look at my newspaper focus test and honestly tell me that my camera is not exhibiting front-focus then I will re-evaluate myself.

Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 13,293
Re: Subjective.

No disrespect, I'm only pointing this out so that folks might realize your ratings are based on not really ever using the 7D or D600. I didn't want folks still deciding to get misinformation. That does not mean that your ratings are not valid.....just subjective based on reports.

So, he's a Canon fan without the Canon and a Nikon critic without the Nikon?

Wow, who'd have thought it?

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 13,293

Well if you can't even focus the fifty, then there may be a problem there.  If so, get it fixed and stop whining on DPR.   Otherwise you'll turn into another Barry, who to my knowledge has never taken a decent photo.  Take about ten thousand pictures and put the keepers up in your gallery so we can see what kind of chops you've attained. Then you'll have some credibility.

Or go with Fuji.  Who cares?

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
ott77n Contributing Member • Posts: 959

jonrobertp wrote:

ott77n wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

...:) OK, ott...how much experience do YOU have ?

It is very impolite to answer a question with a question.

With SLRs ?

The first SLR I have owned you might recognize (although I doubt it) was a Canon T50. Hated it

You?

ott77n wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

ott77n wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

With SLRs ?

The first SLR I have owned you might recognize (although I doubt it) was a Canon T50. Hated it

Must admit I liked the T90 better. It was a great camera, for a Canon, that is.

You?

ott77n wrote:

ott77n wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

ott77n wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

With SLRs ?

You?

My first slr was the Minolta XR7.   Liked it...

jonrobertp wrote:

oops...it was the Minolta XG7.

ott77n wrote:

ott77n wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

ott77n wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

With SLRs ?

You?

My first slr was the Minolta XR7. Liked it...

jonrobertp wrote:

ott77n wrote:

ott77n wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

ott77n wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

With SLRs ?

You?

You mean Ricoh XR7?

jonrobertp wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

oops...it was the Minolta XG7.

ott77n wrote:

ott77n wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

ott77n wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

With SLRs ?

You?

Minolta XG7, and not a Ricoh XR7?

Anyway, I am sure you have owned them both.

Steve_in_FL Contributing Member • Posts: 963
Re: Not shutter/Mirror Vibration

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Makes me wonder how I got all those razor sharp shots with the D7000 and the 70-300VR at 1/500.

It obviously HAD to be an accident.   EVERYONE knows the D7K can't focus and that the 70-300 VR is worthlessly soft.   In my case, it was divine intervention that yielded sharp shots with that combo.    well, that and a decent tripod, and not drinking the night before....

Steve_in_FL's gear list:Steve_in_FL's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
phiri Contributing Member • Posts: 969
Re: Go away, Barry, just go away.

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

Ignorance is bliss..some users just prefer we don't talk about these real issues.

Sad really..also sad to see some folks ending up slandering people because they can't stand their love of a particular brand damaged.

Really quite amazing how worked up people can get.

Barry, the fact that you cannot focus with any camera, the problem is you to be frank. Learn your tools. If it was one camera, I could have give you a benefit of the doubt. What puzzles me the most is why are you not moving to something that you find acceptable. But I know the answer already, there will be none. For you, all cameras regardless of brand will have AF problems.

phiri's gear list:phiri's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
lnguyenh Contributing Member • Posts: 685
Re: Not shutter/Mirror Vibration

once again the same wars ....

Just because the DXXXX you used worked perfectly doesnt mean all the DXXXX should work as well as yours.

Just because all the DXXX you used had problems doesnt mean all the DXXXX have problems.

It is almost impossible to win the lottery, but still some people do.

Please, respect each other's experience.

Pure nonsense

phiri wrote:

Barry, the fact that you cannot focus with any camera, the problem is you to be frank. Learn your tools. If it was one camera, I could have give you a benefit of the doubt. What puzzles me the most is why are you not moving to something that you find acceptable. But I know the answer already, there will be none. For you, all cameras regardless of brand will have AF problems.

My Km5d can focus just fine. I picked up an Sony SLT A57 mostly for fun..and that has accurate AF too.

It is only the D7000's that have poor AF it's rubbish basically.

You can continue to blame me, but your theory is smashed into tiny pieces.

Both A mount cameras focus just fine. The problem is with Nikon and not users, they have poor AF accuracy and calibration. Stop blaming experienced users when they pick up on sloppy QC from Nikon. So I'm complaining about other brands? Grow up and smell what's really going on here..I'm so tired of people getting stick for Nikon's problems

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Well if you can't even focus the fifty, then there may be a problem there. If so, get it fixed and stop whining on DPR. Otherwise you'll turn into another Barry, who to my knowledge has never taken a decent photo. Take about ten thousand pictures and put the keepers up in your gallery so we can see what kind of chops you've attained. Then you'll have some credibility.

Or go with Fuji. Who cares?

I Got this reply from Thom Hogan after I passed on my overall experience with him and the AF issues

"I'm not going to disagree with you. One reason why I've been more vocal lately is that I see things slipping even more than they had."

So what you smoking Reilly denial special hand rolled? People care because this is important, it's not acceptable for users to be sending cameras in multiple times, and still not getting a fix. Not acceptable for brand new out of the box cameras to have big focus problems.

Wake up..and stop preaching the tired fanboy mantra

phiri Contributing Member • Posts: 969
Re: Pure nonsense

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

phiri wrote:

My Km5d can focus just fine. I picked up an Sony SLT A57 mostly for fun..and that has accurate AF too.

It is only the D7000's that have poor AF it's rubbish basically.

You can continue to blame me, but your theory is smashed into tiny pieces.

Both A mount cameras focus just fine. The problem is with Nikon and not users, they have poor AF accuracy and calibration. Stop blaming experienced users when they pick up on sloppy QC from Nikon. So I'm complaining about other brands? Grow up and smell what's really going on here..I'm so tired of people getting stick for Nikon's problems

Then why dont you use this time to shoot with your sony and pentax cameras? What do you gain by proving to anyone that you cannot manage to focus a Nikon camera? Move on buddy. Time is precious. You seriously gain nothing by repeating this same thing over and over and over

phiri's gear list:phiri's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads