Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions
jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875
Re: Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

It's true that entry level users have low expectations.   It is also true that a mid level cam like the D7k gives the buyer certain expectations ...after all, 39 AF points ...etc.

So the unit is good, but not that great. It's still a relatively cheap unit, and performs as such.

Then there are the host of D7k users to whom the 7k is a wonderful machine.  They don't have much aspriration for a higher end cam.   So when someone has a minor complaint or issue with it, they become unreasonably defensive of the cam that to them, was superior to what they used before.

It is sometimes user error...from inexperienced users, and it is also a simple fact that you get what you pay for...and the D7k is merely mid-level...when some of us were hoping it was more than we paid for.  But that didn't happen, as it seldom does in any field.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 25,567
Very true

jonrobertp wrote:

So when someone has a minor complaint or issue with it, they become unreasonably defensive of the cam that to them, was superior to what they used before.

Most folks here give very useful help and try hard to provide assistance. I think what your perceiving isn't actually born out by the number of helping posts vs posts designed to not help.

It is sometimes user error...from inexperienced users, and it is also a simple fact that you get what you pay for...and the D7k is merely mid-level...when some of us were hoping it was more than we paid for. But that didn't happen, as it seldom does in any field.

Very true. A small percentage of folks bought a D7000 ( a body a real step up from the D90) and where upset it didn't perform like a D3 or D400.

nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080
Re: Go away, Barry, just go away.

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

Ignorance is bliss..some users just prefer we don't talk about these real issues.

Sad really..also sad to see some folks ending up slandering people because they can't stand their love of a particular brand damaged.

Really quite amazing how worked up people can get.

That's ridiculous, Barry.  Reilly and I HAVE sharp shots, thousands of them.  YOU are the one with the supposed "problem", and after 5-6 bodies, the problem is CLEARLY YOU, not the cameras.

You want to call people ignorant?  YOU ARE THE IGNORANT ONE, since you can't use a camera.

However, the BIGGER problem is that you WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT IT AND LET OTHERS ENJOY THEIR CAMERAS.

No one is "worked up".  EVERYONE is tired of hearing you whine.

Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 13,227

jonrobertp wrote:

It's true that entry level users have low expectations. It is also true that a mid level cam like the D7k gives the buyer certain expectations ...after all, 39 AF points ...etc.

So the unit is good, but not that great. It's still a relatively cheap unit, and performs as such.

Then there are the host of D7k users to whom the 7k is a wonderful machine. They don't have much aspriration for a higher end cam. So when someone has a minor complaint or issue with it, they become unreasonably defensive of the cam that to them, was superior to what they used before.

It is sometimes user error...from inexperienced users, and it is also a simple fact that you get what you pay for...and the D7k is merely mid-level...when some of us were hoping it was more than we paid for. But that didn't happen, as it seldom does in any field.

One wonders what it would take for Nikon to produce a camera that would impress some of you ungrateful biotches.

Manufacture a camera with image quality superior in resolution and noise to a $3000 D700 at low ISO for less than half the price?  Well, gosh, they did that.

Put out a DX camera that can shoot at 6400 and not embarrass itself like a D300 with a sandstorm of noise and off colors?  By gum, they did that, too.

Take all your old crappy lenses and focus them?  Check.

Run a veritable studio full of flashes with the popup right from an easy to understand commander screen on the back of the camera?  Oh wow, that too.  Hmmm.

Better not try that with your RX100 or your Powershot.

Focus well enough to catch birds in flight, let alone dogs and cats?  Check.

Leave every Canon shooter who bought a 7D for $1700 with a bunch of expensive glass grinding their teeth to the gums in helpless envy?  Yes indeed, that didn't hurt a bit either ;^)

Be able to crop every which way but loose compared to any model before it?

The rest of you can feel free to chime in, the list is long.

Not you, Barry, you can $od off.

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
GCharles Forum Member • Posts: 73

"Like sands through the hourglass... so are the Days of Our Lives." 

-- hide signature --
ott77n Contributing Member • Posts: 959

hea wrote:

After reading all comments in B&H and Amazon about these 3 cameras I found almost no issues complaining Back/Bad focus on D3100 and D5100, but lots on D7000.

Also I read on this forum that problem with D7000 is not a problem but a user lack of technique due to size of sensor, I doubt because D5100 has same sensor, but on that camera people appear not to have issues.

If problem is because it is a semi-professional camera with lots of adjustments, again, I do not recall issues with D300 o D700 owners.

You almost got it.

Look at it this way: had D300(s) been priced at $1000 (consider yen vs usd) at introduction, you would have seen many more complaints.

HTH

ott77n Contributing Member • Posts: 959

jonrobertp wrote:

It is sometimes user error...from inexperienced users,

True truth. Sometimes it is. How much experience do you have?

cerberusjf Regular Member • Posts: 350

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

One wonders what it would take for Nikon to produce a camera that would impress some of you ungrateful biotches.

I'd have been impressed if they made my D5100 so that it focused out of the box. I'd have been impressed if they had fixed it the first time, or the second time I sent it in.

I'd have been impressed if they had fixed the back-focus on my 35mm 1.8 the first time I sent it in. I'd have been impressed if they hadn't damaged my 35mm 1.8 when they replaced the motor.

I'd have been impressed if they had fixed the back-focus on my 35mm 1.8 the second time I sent it in instead of making it front-focus.

After a year of focus misery, I am not impressed with Nikon. If that makes me ungrateful then sorry, I'm not a masochist.

Reilly Diefenbach

Anyone who shoots with a D5100 and a 35 1.8 at 1.8 in low contrast lighting is asking for trouble.  Well beyond the brief of lens or camera.  The 35 1.8 should come with a warning sticker:  "No newbies or focus tweakers allowed!"  You were looking for failure, and you found it.

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

nfpotter wrote:

That's ridiculous, Barry. Reilly and I HAVE sharp shots, thousands of them. YOU are the one with the supposed "problem", and after 5-6 bodies, the problem is CLEARLY YOU, not the cameras.

I don't doubt that..

On the other hand...

https://www.google.com/search?q=D7000+back+focus&hl=en&prmd=imvnsfd&ei=aVeQUIbDKJGXhQeF8YDICA&start=10&sa=N&biw=1600&bih=775

Doesn't seem to be a rare event either

You want to call people ignorant? YOU ARE THE IGNORANT ONE, since you can't use a camera.

Funny thing is I managed to use my Minolta and it didn't show the same problems. Guess they actually calibrated it properly

However, the BIGGER problem is that you WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT IT AND LET OTHERS ENJOY THEIR CAMERAS.

Considering the thread is about AF and Nikon I think it's rather on topic don't you?

No one is "worked up". EVERYONE is tired of hearing you whine.

Or tired of hearing you attack posters for simply conveying their experience with this model.

Stay on topic or shove off and take your anger somewhere else

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Yeah try one that can focus on target "out of the box"

Manufacture a camera with image quality superior in resolution and noise to a $3000 D700 at low ISO for less than half the price? Well, gosh, they did that.

It's got the AF capability of a vivitar and probably being unfair to vivitar on that too.

Not you, Barry, you can $od off.

Idiot of the year posts again..so glad you get wound up with honest feedback.

cerberusjf Regular Member • Posts: 350

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Anyone who shoots with a D5100 and a 35 1.8 at 1.8 in low contrast lighting is asking for trouble. Well beyond the brief of lens or camera. The 35 1.8 should come with a warning sticker: "No newbies or focus tweakers allowed!" You were looking for failure, and you found it.

I wasn't looking for a failure, I was looking for a camera that focused in low light.  The 35mm 1.8 is made to work with the D5100 isn't it?  If the D5100 is a failure with the 35mm 1.8 and the 50mm 1.8, then yes, it should come with a warning.  If this combo doesn't work, why is it the user's fault (newby or tweaker)?

And the initial focus problems I had with the D5100 were with the 18-105 zoom, which the camera comes with as a kit.

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Anyone who shoots with a D5100 and a 35 1.8 at 1.8 in low contrast lighting is asking for trouble. Well beyond the brief of lens or camera. The 35 1.8 should come with a warning sticker: "No newbies or focus tweakers allowed!" You were looking for failure, and you found it.

Why my Km5d can focus with a 50mm f1.7 and hit the target most times. If you had any photographic understanding you'd be quite a poster on this forum

Nobody expects a 100% hit rate, but you also don't expect it to miss focus by the margin some users report. If you can't get a focus lock the AF system should let you know. That's another gripe with Nikon

Also the D7k hunts much more in low light v the D90..slower too by some margin. It's far from the miracle some say it is

Reilly Diefenbach

I thought I told you not to reply.  Belt up and slither away, foul troll.

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Re: Very true

Mako2011 wrote:

Very true. A small percentage of folks bought a D7000 ( a body a real step up from the D90) and where upset it didn't perform like a D3 or D400.

To be honest Mako the 2 D7000's I got did not even perform to the level my £199 Dynax 5 35mm did for AF. It kills the Nikon a super budget film body (and yes I have a high res film scanner)

Even my dated Km5d blows it away for accuracy, whilst not a super budget body (more upper entry mid level at the time) it's not exactly "pro level" either far from it.

As it stands I'd not accept that performance off a Canon EOS 1100d let alone a semi pro spec body. Cost isn't the issue here..static targets it's not even consistent then

We're not talking about trying to track focus a golden eagle swooping in near darkness with erratic movements..just people standing still..and it still missed!

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

I thought I told you not to reply. Belt up and slither away, foul troll.

Oh the game is on Reilly have you noticed something though..the more you tell me to shut up, the more I post.

Try being civil and polite for once..just give it a bash you might get the result you are looking for.

I'm at least adding to the discussion by talking about the AF, on the other hand you're just throwing mud (badly at that) and not making any meaningful contribution at all.

nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

That's ridiculous, Barry. Reilly and I HAVE sharp shots, thousands of them. YOU are the one with the supposed "problem", and after 5-6 bodies, the problem is CLEARLY YOU, not the cameras.

I don't doubt that..

On the other hand...

https://www.google.com/search?q=D7000+back+focus&hl=en&prmd=imvnsfd&ei=aVeQUIbDKJGXhQeF8YDICA&start=10&sa=N&biw=1600&bih=775

Doesn't seem to be a rare event either

You want to call people ignorant? YOU ARE THE IGNORANT ONE, since you can't use a camera.

Funny thing is I managed to use my Minolta and it didn't show the same problems. Guess they actually calibrated it properly

Considering the thread is about AF and Nikon I think it's rather on topic don't you?

No one is "worked up". EVERYONE is tired of hearing you whine.

Or tired of hearing you attack posters for simply conveying their experience with this model.

Stay on topic or shove off and take your anger somewhere else

Tell me what to do, BOY?  Not too bright.

Reilly Diefenbach

All this while, you and Barry and all the other whiners could have been taking lots of pictures with your cameras which were close enough to being in perfect focus, a state, btw, which exists but rarely.  If you think that bailing and going over to Fuji is going to make things better, you're in for a rude awakening.  Every consumer camera and every pro camera to a lesser extent focuses a bit off 99.9% of the time.  That's just a fact.  If you confine yourself to test charts and newspapers taped to the wall, you're for the funny farm.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/07/autofocus-reality-part-1-center-point-single-shot-accuracy

The plain truth is that you and Gibraltar's most famous citizen have failed where the vast majority have succeeded brilliantly.  Might just possbly be time for a reevaluation there.

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 25,567
agree

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

To be honest Mako the 2 D7000's I got did not even perform to the level my £199 Dynax 5 35mm did for AF.

Based on your example shots....I agree. Only thing we disagree on is the source of the problem resulting in the poor performance.  Your case is another exceedingly rare example and not very indicative of normal D90/D7lk performance. Simply an outlier on the performance cure. Luckily it's not enough a sample to shift the curve any. Both bodies are indeed still best in class for their time.

BTW, I thought you said you had given up and were going back to film. Good Luck and best wishes in that regard.  (I think that's why I was surprised to see you hijack this thread also....You seemed to have made a positive decision finally)

Reilly Diefenbach

I'm at least adding to the discussion by talking about the AF, on the other hand you're just throwing mud (badly at that) and not making any meaningful contribution at all.

You have never helped anyone, ever.  Not once in 30,000 posts.   All you do is spread your failure for all to see and try to frighten the newbies.  You are the definition a a troll.

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads