Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions
hea
hea Regular Member • Posts: 354
Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

After reading all comments in B&H and Amazon about these 3 cameras I found almost no issues complaining Back/Bad focus on D3100 and D5100, but lots on D7000.

Also I read on this forum that problem with D7000 is not a problem but a user lack of technique due to size of sensor, I doubt because D5100 has same sensor, but on that camera people appear not to have issues.

If problem is because it is a semi-professional camera with lots of adjustments, again, I do not recall issues with D300 o D700 owners.

All this comment is because I want to buy D7000 but very afraid, because I buy in Texas but I live in Mexico and it is not easy to send to repair, adjust or return the camera.

Thanks

 hea's gear list:hea's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D40 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +2 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D3100 Nikon D5100 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 13,298
Re: Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000
8

Buy the D7000 and use it in good health.  People who buy the entry level cameras do not pixel peep the way the D7000 owners do, as a general statement.  The AF is superior on the D7000.  Is it perfect?  No, but some people expect it to be, and thus the internet myths germinate and take on an eldritch life of their own.  Use Ray Soares' settings and check out some of his pictures with the D7000 while you're at it:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/37815130

 Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
phiri Contributing Member • Posts: 969
Re: Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000
2

hea wrote:

After reading all comments in B&H and Amazon about these 3 cameras I found almost no issues complaining Back/Bad focus on D3100 and D5100, but lots on D7000.

Also I read on this forum that problem with D7000 is not a problem but a user lack of technique due to size of sensor, I doubt because D5100 has same sensor, but on that camera people appear not to have issues.

If problem is because it is a semi-professional camera with lots of adjustments, again, I do not recall issues with D300 o D700 owners.

All this comment is because I want to buy D7000 but very afraid, because I buy in Texas but I live in Mexico and it is not easy to send to repair, adjust or return the camera.

Thanks

Because D7000 has an advanced focussing system with a steep learning curve that requires users to take time to master it. Once you have achieved it, it will be hard to use the D5100 and D3100 because you will feel limted by their focussing systems. That is my humble opinion.

 phiri's gear list:phiri's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +6 more
Xhinzo Regular Member • Posts: 160
Re: Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

As the owner of a d5100 and not being in a position to buy multiple cameras its a matter of making the best of what I have. I simply learned and dealt with my cameras limitations and now all I focus on is getting the picture I want.

First of all I exclusively use single point AF. I always want to be in control of what I am focusing on instead of hoping the camera guesses right.

Secondly in terms of depth of field and getting the right plane in focus I have learned what the combination of each lens and my camera is capable of under which given settings. For e.g. using my 35 mm f1.8g @ events, I know that to achieve the right plane of focus at f2.8 I have to focus on a given point if its a persons face etc.

Does this mean the D5100 does not have focus issue? Perhaps it does. The thing is that D5100 owners can't fine adjust with a button, so we adjust with our brains, eyes and feet.

garyhgaryh Contributing Member • Posts: 551
Re: Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

the d5100 has focusing issues.  Sear h for it in the forums or UTUBE.

blue_cheese
blue_cheese Senior Member • Posts: 1,880
+1 on who uses the camera

I would assume that it does have to do who the majority of users are. The D3100/D5100 are aimed at bringing people over from P&S. The D7000 is for enthusiasts that have certain expectations of the capabilites of the camera. Most D3100 users I have encountered do not take it out of the green auto mode. The would get more focus issues due to Auto area and AF-A drive than from the acutal AF system.

And before I get flamed about putting down D3100 users, I am one.... some know how to use the camera in other modes too, but given the sales volume of these camera i would guess they are a small proportion.

D7000 users on the other hand (from what I have observed) either know what they are doing and enjoy using their camera, and there are those that just imagine that they would be better cuz they paid more.

There are of course defective cameras, but I dont that there should be a difference beteweend the models. perhaps the entry level users notice it less.

nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080
Re: Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

Xhinzo wrote:

As the owner of a d5100 and not being in a position to buy multiple cameras its a matter of making the best of what I have. I simply learned and dealt with my cameras limitations and now all I focus on is getting the picture I want.

First of all I exclusively use single point AF. I always want to be in control of what I am focusing on instead of hoping the camera guesses right.

Secondly in terms of depth of field and getting the right plane in focus I have learned what the combination of each lens and my camera is capable of under which given settings. For e.g. using my 35 mm f1.8g @ events, I know that to achieve the right plane of focus at f2.8 I have to focus on a given point if its a persons face etc.

Does this mean the D5100 does not have focus issue? Perhaps it does. The thing is that D5100 owners can't fine adjust with a button, so we adjust with our brains, eyes and feet.

Um, hate to tell you this, but unless you're manually focusing, you ARE "hoping the camera guesses right".

Also, DOF is a formula, it has nothing to do with you knowing a specific lens and/or camera.

Lastly, your final statement also makes no sense.  We're talking about AUTO-FOCUS.  If your camera had AF issues, you would not be able to "adjust with your brain, eyes, and feet".

nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080
Re: Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

hea wrote:

After reading all comments in B&H and Amazon about these 3 cameras I found almost no issues complaining Back/Bad focus on D3100 and D5100, but lots on D7000.

Also I read on this forum that problem with D7000 is not a problem but a user lack of technique due to size of sensor, I doubt because D5100 has same sensor, but on that camera people appear not to have issues.

If problem is because it is a semi-professional camera with lots of adjustments, again, I do not recall issues with D300 o D700 owners.

All this comment is because I want to buy D7000 but very afraid, because I buy in Texas but I live in Mexico and it is not easy to send to repair, adjust or return the camera.

Thanks

All camera models have some that aren't right from the factory.

Also, you are comparing COMPLETELY different AF systems.

Also, when you are talking about "sensor size", you are confusing the size of the sensor with the size of the individual AF points.  They are 2 different things.

stuntmonkey
stuntmonkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,735
Re: Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000
2

hea wrote:

After reading all comments in B&H and Amazon about these 3 cameras I found almost no issues complaining Back/Bad focus on D3100 and D5100, but lots on D7000.

There are a few reasons why you have to be more careful with the D7000, but there are a number of reasons why the landscape looks the way that it does.

1.) For the most part, D7000 users are sophisticated enough to know that AF calibration is an issue, but not experienced enough to know all of the intricacies of it's operation.

2.) A higher proportion of D3100 and D5100 shooters use the kit lenses only. Since they don't have the ultra-narrow depth of field of the more expensive lenses, it's harder to pick out AF calibration

3.) Detecting a true calibration issue also depends on your shooting style. If you are only shooting landscapes, you might never realize that the calibration is off if the amount is only modest.

4.)There's the psychological aspect of the fact that in a camera where you can't adjust the AF, your subconscious has a vested interest in not finding a problem.

5.) Forums and comments sections aren't scientific samples. Because every commenter is exposed to the opinions of the previous commenter, there is a herding effect that obfuscates the real reason of what is going on.

6.) Also, the comments section in places like Amazon et al is open to abuse and competing companies spreading fear, uncertainty, doubt (FUD) as well as those that do nothing but shill in the positive.

Shunda77
Shunda77 Senior Member • Posts: 2,132
Re: Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

nfpotter wrote:


Um, hate to tell you this, but unless you're manually focusing, you ARE "hoping the camera guesses right".

Doesn't stop you pointing the thing at a particular spot and readjusting your composition.

Also, DOF is a formula, it has nothing to do with you knowing a specific lens and/or camera.

Yes it does.

Lastly, your final statement also makes no sense. We're talking about AUTO-FOCUS. If your camera had AF issues, you would not be able to "adjust with your brain, eyes, and feet".

Yes you can.

I suggest you try thinking about how this might be possible.


nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080
Re: Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

Shunda77 wrote:

nfpotter wrote:


Um, hate to tell you this, but unless you're manually focusing, you ARE "hoping the camera guesses right".

Doesn't stop you pointing the thing at a particular spot and readjusting your composition.

Also, DOF is a formula, it has nothing to do with you knowing a specific lens and/or camera.

Yes it does.

Lastly, your final statement also makes no sense. We're talking about AUTO-FOCUS. If your camera had AF issues, you would not be able to "adjust with your brain, eyes, and feet".

Yes you can.

I suggest you try thinking about how this might be possible.


I thought you were ignoring me.

I'm right.  You're wrong.  If you can't read between the lines in my responses, that's your problem.

Shunda77
Shunda77 Senior Member • Posts: 2,132
Re: Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

nfpotter wrote:


I'm right. You're wrong. If you can't read between the lines in my responses, that's your problem.

Still spreading misinformation unabated I see.

Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
You can find..
3

AF complaints on every model of DSLR ever made to varying degrees that is.

Lemon bodies will hit the shelves from every maker that is life and a reality. But it should not be so high in numbers that the market is flooded with iffy bodies.

There are a few other points, average D7k user might spot this..some might not. There are complaints about other Nikon models, but not as many as the D7000. That may or may not reflect the actual situation. Chances are some D7k D3100/5100 users might not even notice issues..some will

There there is the "tolerance" part where users can come to accept things..such as Mira here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50110247

Basically saying what I have all along inconsistency in AF and suggests using live view. I just don't think the D7k is that good for AF after owning 2 of them. Some might accept it..I personally do not. I also noted some mirror vibrations at some shutter speeds causing some blur..which I did not on the D90 separate issues but it did show up for me.

I do hope we get beyond the stage of simply saying the AF is complicated, or just settings, users fault of blaming the lenses, pixel density, or limitations of phase detect AF. It's quite possible your idea of decent AF is a million miles away from mine. D7k is IMHO not that good for AF, and I'm not the first person to suggest that either

Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 13,298
I have no idea either...
4

Re: K-5IIs: K-5 Front focus in low light issue solved by SAFOX X

Good old Barry, back in the house after an all too brief abscence.  Sprinkling toxicity through multiple forums.  Very strange.

 Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: I have no idea either...
1

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Good old Barry, back in the house after an all too brief abscence. Sprinkling toxicity through multiple forums. Very strange.

Oh come Reilly Ray being the die hard Pentax forum hound who attacks anyone who dare suggest issues.

Reilly I'm wondering which company has worse AF and customer service Pentax or Nikon..tough call. But hey I'm not brand biased..you're just the Nikon forum's "Ray" defender of the faith..denier of problems every forum has them. I simply report what I find..I'm honest

Back on topic (I know it's killing you a discussion rather than insulting people)

So if Mira admits the AF is poor then I'm sure it's a lot more common than the deniers make out

Mabye some users have low expectations I think that's part of it..and not wanting to admit a great camera like the D7k can have pretty poor AF.

phiri Contributing Member • Posts: 969
Re: You can find..
2

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

AF complaints on every model of DSLR ever made to varying degrees that is.

Lemon bodies will hit the shelves from every maker that is life and a reality. But it should not be so high in numbers that the market is flooded with iffy bodies.

There are a few other points, average D7k user might spot this..some might not. There are complaints about other Nikon models, but not as many as the D7000. That may or may not reflect the actual situation. Chances are some D7k D3100/5100 users might not even notice issues..some will

There there is the "tolerance" part where users can come to accept things..such as Mira here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50110247

Basically saying what I have all along inconsistency in AF and suggests using live view. I just don't think the D7k is that good for AF after owning 2 of them. Some might accept it..I personally do not. I also noted some mirror vibrations at some shutter speeds causing some blur..which I did not on the D90 separate issues but it did show up for me.

I do hope we get beyond the stage of simply saying the AF is complicated, or just settings, users fault of blaming the lenses, pixel density, or limitations of phase detect AF. It's quite possible your idea of decent AF is a million miles away from mine. D7k is IMHO not that good for AF, and I'm not the first person to suggest that either

Barry, your complaints get tiring each day that passes. People have tried to help you in the past but hey, you have made your mind. Why you keep on Nikon cameras is vey strange to me. If it was me with your issues I would have moved on a long time ago. But here is what I feel, these problems will follow you wherever you go so that says something. You have to learn your tools. If it was just one camera body, I would understand, but three Nikon D90s in a row then two D7000s in a row. Wow! Could anybody be this unlucky? There is a bigger chance of being hit by a car than experiencing this. It is time to learn AF mechanisms and how to make use of them

 phiri's gear list:phiri's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +6 more
phiri Contributing Member • Posts: 969
Re: You can find..
1

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

AF complaints on every model of DSLR ever made to varying degrees that is.

Lemon bodies will hit the shelves from every maker that is life and a reality. But it should not be so high in numbers that the market is flooded with iffy bodies.

There are a few other points, average D7k user might spot this..some might not. There are complaints about other Nikon models, but not as many as the D7000. That may or may not reflect the actual situation. Chances are some D7k D3100/5100 users might not even notice issues..some will

There there is the "tolerance" part where users can come to accept things..such as Mira here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50110247

Basically saying what I have all along inconsistency in AF and suggests using live view. I just don't think the D7k is that good for AF after owning 2 of them. Some might accept it..I personally do not. I also noted some mirror vibrations at some shutter speeds causing some blur..which I did not on the D90 separate issues but it did show up for me.

I do hope we get beyond the stage of simply saying the AF is complicated, or just settings, users fault of blaming the lenses, pixel density, or limitations of phase detect AF. It's quite possible your idea of decent AF is a million miles away from mine. D7k is IMHO not that good for AF, and I'm not the first person to suggest that either

By the way, have you ever been able to achieve perfect focus with any camera body? If so, can you please post them so that we have a look.

 phiri's gear list:phiri's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +6 more
dirtdiver82 New Member • Posts: 24
Re: You can find..
2

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50110247

Basically saying what I have all along inconsistency in AF and suggests using live view. I just don't think the D7k is that good for AF after owning 2 of them. Some might accept it..I personally do not. I also noted some mirror vibrations at some shutter speeds causing some blur..which I did not on the D90 separate issues but it did show up for me.

I do hope we get beyond the stage of simply saying the AF is complicated, or just settings, users fault of blaming the lenses, pixel density, or limitations of phase detect AF. It's quite possible your idea of decent AF is a million miles away from mine. D7k is IMHO not that good for AF, and I'm not the first person to suggest that either

Totally agreed.

Same here, I also went from the D90 to the D7000 and using the same lens, no matter how I tried ( single AF point, holding my breath ) many of my pics have a little of motion blur quite evident at 100% while the D90 used to have none.

Not to mention that tracking fast moving objects under certain circumstances remained also problematic with the D7000.

Sadly my D7000 has been stoled so I'm thinking on buying a D5100 to keep the same sensor performance until the eventual D7100/D400 shows up, but I'm not considering another D7000.

The D7K feels more responsive than the D90, has better viewfinder, better video, more features, but AFwise, it disappoints me too specially given the 1300€ I paid for it.

 dirtdiver82's gear list:dirtdiver82's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: You can find..

phiri wrote:

By the way, have you ever been able to achieve perfect focus with any camera body? If so, can you please post them so that we have a look.

Nothing is perfect..but you ignore the obvious points made. there is something called "acceptable" and that varies from user to user.

Mira admits here D7000 is inconsistent for AF, something I have complained about with the D90's and D7000.

The Km5d is consistent in focus..much more so than any of the Nikon bodies. Tiring or not..that is my conclusion. The D7000 is probably the most complained about DSLR for AF from Nikon possibly even any model I've ever seen. Is there a slight hint that there is a reason for this? A bit more than possibly internet hysteria?

Did I not read Thom Hogan's review of the D3200 and he too complained about back focus and it being "annoying"?

The user comments on this forum were mostly akin to blaming the end user, settings, focus shift, higher pixel density (firmly discredited with my 6mp v 4mp test shots), the complicated AF. But where I am standing it's quite simple really..the AF isn't calibrated properly and QC issues are still present.

Moving on yes I am, but as a user who has experience of Nikon I'm quite entitled to comment. I see no reason why anyone would get that upset.

Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: You can find..

dirtdiver82 wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50110247

Basically saying what I have all along inconsistency in AF and suggests using live view. I just don't think the D7k is that good for AF after owning 2 of them. Some might accept it..I personally do not. I also noted some mirror vibrations at some shutter speeds causing some blur..which I did not on the D90 separate issues but it did show up for me.

I do hope we get beyond the stage of simply saying the AF is complicated, or just settings, users fault of blaming the lenses, pixel density, or limitations of phase detect AF. It's quite possible your idea of decent AF is a million miles away from mine. D7k is IMHO not that good for AF, and I'm not the first person to suggest that either

Totally agreed.

Same here, I also went from the D90 to the D7000 and using the same lens, no matter how I tried ( single AF point, holding my breath ) many of my pics have a little of motion blur quite evident at 100% while the D90 used to have none.

Not to mention that tracking fast moving objects under certain circumstances remained also problematic with the D7000.

Sadly my D7000 has been stoled so I'm thinking on buying a D5100 to keep the same sensor performance until the eventual D7100/D400 shows up, but I'm not considering another D7000.

The D7K feels more responsive than the D90, has better viewfinder, better video, more features, but AFwise, it disappoints me too specially given the 1300€ I paid for it.

Thanks you it suggests I am not alone in my findings.

I agree about the D7k being more responsive, better video, nicer VF believe me it is a great body overall I really wanted to love it. But the AF issues were just to big to ignore..the motion blur is quite subtle at times, but I think something changed with the mechanism to cause this, it's not something I have seen for hand held shots with many DSLR's but I did see it on some recently with the D7k. I hope Nikon do bring a D7100 out minus AF and other problems.

IMO for the money bargain deal or not the D7000 can't cut it AF wise and overall I can't recommend the body. I can see why it sells well and is so popular..right now for it's price it is the best camera on paper by a good margin. Shame that doesn't come through in real world use.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads