Laptop-based home computing set-up?

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions
Rob_Jones New Member • Posts: 21
Laptop-based home computing set-up?

Hi

I will upgrade our home computer set-up early in 2013.  I'm thinking of ditching the traditional desktop PC for a high-spec laptop (Apple?) - for portability - with a large external screen/monitor for desk-based work.

Does anyone have this sort of set-up?  Could you show me some pics of your set-up?  Any feedback (good and/or bad)?  Is Apple the way to go?

Main applications = standard office apps (I work from home) and photography stuff (Photoshop etc.).

Many thanks,

Rob

Art Jacks Senior Member • Posts: 2,850
Re: Laptop-based home computing set-up?

I have a very unsophisticated setup, I have been an Apple laptop user for 6 years using various versions of PS to edit my images, I now have the rMBP, the screen is very very good for image work, the SSD drive and the max ram makes light work of my best quality D800 nef files. I have a very comfortable Ekorness Stressless chair with a computer table, I am sited in the corner or the room so no reflection on the screen, ( the Retina screen is very good preventing reflections in regular room light anyway ) with my various external HD's  sited on a unit alongside the chair. I am an amateur so for colour accuracy I have a little poetic licence  as I do not have to match any known product colours etc

Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Veteran Member • Posts: 7,820

New 15 inch Macbook pro with Retnia display.  512 GB solid state disk for OS and application. Thunderbolt display and thunderbolt raid disk for data.  I also us it for signal processing and imaging radar development so need a lot of storage for data.

When I'm on the road, I disconnect the display and disk and ready to go.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R XF 90mm +8 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 12,623

The monitor situation is about to get very interesting.  For desktop, imagine seeing your stuff at 4800X2700:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Higher-Resolution-Displays-Coming,15329.html

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
fft81 Contributing Member • Posts: 945

Rob_Jones wrote:

Hi

high-spec laptop

Rob

This is a contradiction in terms.

On a more serious note pretty much any new laptop will do what you want; today laptops do pack a punch. You want more than 2 GB of ram and a good video card.

Of-course this is coming from a guy who is running a desktop with 980X, 12GB of fastest ram and 2x6990s...

slipstream2006 Regular Member • Posts: 375

I have a MBP 13" 2011 model, (upgraded to 8GB RAM) connected to an external 23" iiyama IPS screen via display port to HDMI. Works fine for me.

I do the usual stuff on the mac including using LR3 and PS, i do not have any issue with speed and i find it a cracking set up.

I hope this helps

Bruce Fasterling
Bruce Fasterling Forum Member • Posts: 55

While I don't work from home, my daughter, wife and I use laptops throughout the house - no desktop computers. All of us have MacBook Pros (they have 13", but I have the 15" rMBP). I run Lightroom 4 and Microsoft Office for Mac 2011. A Synology DS212j Network Attached Server (2 x 2Tb drives) backs up all the laptops using Time Machine. While a large monitor would be nice, I don't miss not having one.

-- hide signature --

Bruce F

Bruce Fasterling's gear list:Bruce Fasterling's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
OP Rob_Jones New Member • Posts: 21

Bruce Fasterling wrote:

While I don't work from home, my daughter, wife and I use laptops throughout the house - no desktop computers. All of us have MacBook Pros (they have 13", but I have the 15" rMBP). I run Lightroom 4 and Microsoft Office for Mac 2011. A Synology DS212j Network Attached Server (2 x 2Tb drives) backs up all the laptops using Time Machine. While a large monitor would be nice, I don't miss not having one.

Many thanks, Bruce (and to all the others who answered my post).  This is very interesting indeed.  Anybody care to share a pic of their laptop-based set-up (ideally with a large, separate display)?

Thanks again,

Rob

herbymel Veteran Member • Posts: 6,153

Not my set-up, but probably about what you're looking for.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50123871

-- hide signature --

Herby

herbymel's gear list:herbymel's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +6 more
OntarioJohn
OntarioJohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,959

27 inch iMac, with an iPad3.  Nirvana.

I NEVER wanted to do this, but after I bought the wife an iPad for her bday, and let her use it on Sundays, I loved it so much I got the iMac.  I was on drugs.

Now I'm really addicted.  I have 2 2TB hard drives sitting on my wireless router station.

And I hit delete for every marginal photo.

My HP media edition and Toshiba laptop are gathering dust.

-- hide signature --

Retired forensic photographer.
London, Ontario, Canada.

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +3 more
slipstream2006 Regular Member • Posts: 375
ARB1
ARB1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,396

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I'm looking to buy a new laptop to handle these D800 files and was looking at this Mac.

Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro with Retina Display

Quad-core Intel Core i7 2.3GHz

8GB RAM

256GB Solid State Drive

Intel HD Graphics 4000

1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

OS X Mountain Lion (MC975LL/A)

Question, with the specs above will I be okay to handle these large files?  I'll be using an external drive for storage so I don't need internal storage for the actual photos.

I've been trying to decide between a Mac and a PC, still not sure, but Mac have become the majority at work so I'm thinking I may need to jump on board.  The only problem is that my financials at work are all done on a PC and it's been interesting trying to work between a Mac and a PC with financials.

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 +1 more
Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898

ARB1 wrote:

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I'm looking to buy a new laptop to handle these D800 files and was looking at this Mac.

Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro with Retina Display

Do you mean 2.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz? Or, are you looking at an older model used?

8GB RAM

I would get 16GB RAM if you want to run Lightroom 4.3 and Photoshop CS6 at the same time with D800 files. You can run on 8, but will be better off with 16, especially if you do focus stacking or HDR.

256GB Solid State Drive

Intel HD Graphics 4000

OS X Mountain Lion (MC975LL/A)

Should be good.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

ARB1
ARB1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,396

Robin Casady wrote:

ARB1 wrote:

Do you mean 2.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz? Or, are you looking at an older model used?

8GB RAM

I would get 16GB RAM if you want to run Lightroom 4.3 and Photoshop CS6 at the same time with D800 files. You can run on 8, but will be better off with 16, especially if you do focus stacking or HDR.

256GB Solid State Drive

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Should be good.

Thanks Robin.  I was wondering the same thing about the 2.3GHz vs. 2.4GHz so I'm guessing Mac Mall has an older unit since the 2.3GHz isn't listed on the Apple site.  I was considering the 16GB also so I'll add that to the order if I decide this laptop is the way to go.

http://www.macmall.com/p/product~dpno~9232232~pdp.hgcijcg

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 +1 more
Jabs767 Contributing Member • Posts: 906

ARB1 wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

ARB1 wrote:

Do you mean 2.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz? Or, are you looking at an older model used?

8GB RAM

256GB Solid State Drive

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Should be good.

Thanks Robin. I was wondering the same thing about the 2.3GHz vs. 2.4GHz so I'm guessing Mac Mall has an older unit since the 2.3GHz isn't listed on the Apple site. I was considering the 16GB also so I'll add that to the order if I decide this laptop is the way to go.

I would go the whole hog and get the 16gb of RAM as I am told that with the MBP, all the RAM is soldered in and can't be upgraded later so get the biggest SSD and RAM you can now.

I have a 15" MBPr with the top chip, RAM and SSD and it handles D800 files with ease.  But having said that I mainly use it on location and still mainly use my nearly 3 year old 17" MBP with 8gb RAM and it easily handles D800 files as well in CS6, LR4, CapNX2 or Capture Pro.  All screens have been calibrated using a Datacolor Spyder 4.

I'm about to setup the whole shooting match connected to a 27" cinema screen for better flexibility.

I hope that helps.

-- hide signature --
 Jabs767's gear list:Jabs767's gear list
Nikon D850 Adobe Photoshop CS6
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Veteran Member • Posts: 7,820

It is.  When my Imac dies, I will hand my brand new Retina display 15 inch Macbook Pro with 16 GB memory on the wall, plug in a Thunderbolt display and a 6 GB Thunderbolt raid drive (mirror) and rock and roll.

When I travel, I'll unhook the display and raid and be on my way.  No synchronization required. Todays laptops can serve two purposes.

Thanks Robin. I was wondering the same thing about the 2.3GHz vs. 2.4GHz so I'm guessing Mac Mall has an older unit since the 2.3GHz isn't listed on the Apple site. I was considering the 16GB also so I'll add that to the order if I decide this laptop is the way to go.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R XF 90mm +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads