FL600 vs FL50R

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
RamblinR Regular Member • Posts: 239
FL600 vs FL50R

For those that do event work, how have you found the power of the FL600 for your work (bouncing light etc)?  Is it powerful enough?

Is the FL50R a better choice for this purpose?

Really interested in comments from those that have both flashes.  How is the recycle time of the FL50R compared to the FL600.

Comments on either flash welcomed.

Thanks

RamblinR's gear list:RamblinR's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,816
Re: FL600 vs FL50R

RamblinR wrote:

For those that do event work, how have you found the power of the FL600 for your work (bouncing light etc)? Is it powerful enough?

Really interested in comments from those that have both flashes. How is the recycle time of the FL50R compared to the FL600.

Thanks

Using nickel metal hydride rechargeables, recycle times on both flash units are virtually instantaneous, but the FL50R is considerably more powerful, and it starts to show when using flash modifyers/bounce flash. The FL600R has decent power, but once you take the photography from a house/low ceiling setting to a large-ish hall or church for event shooting, there's no way I'd use it over the FL50R.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +24 more
RamblinR OP Regular Member • Posts: 239

Would love a few more comments on these two flashes.

Thanks everyone.

-- hide signature --

EM5, S 7.5 Fisheye, P 14, O 45, O 12-50, O 14-150,

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Albert Ang Regular Member • Posts: 245

I'm also thinking to get fl600 for travelling.

I have FL50r and found it's too big to carry or to be mounted on top of the camera. So far, I only have used it as a remote flash (holding it with left hand) and the kit OMD mini-flash as the trigger.

Note, FL50r is not as powerful as Canon or Nikon's top range (580EX or SB900). I'm pretty disappointed with FL50r performance to be honest. For that price & weight, i expect it to be at least on par. In the last event I had, i found it just barely enough but it i took ages to recycle. At the end, i gave up and used Nikon D7000+SB900 instead.

FL600r is only half as powerful as FL50r. So, for serious event, I will avoid FL600r.

Albert Ang's gear list:Albert Ang's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
dotborg Veteran Member • Posts: 8,250
Does the FL-600R have a zoom head?

Like the FL-36R and FL-50R?

Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 12,554
nt)+1

nt=No text

Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 12,554
You're mistaken, Canon, Nikon, & Oly FL-50r have similar power output...

Albert Ang wrote:

Note, FL50r is not as powerful as Canon or Nikon's top range (580EX or SB900). I'm pretty disappointed with FL50r performance to be honest. For that price & weight, i expect it to be at least on par.

They ARE on par...when measuring flash they have to be at the SAME ISO, and SAME zoom...you can only compare flashes if they are the same setting! Although some flashes have more zoom to gain a more concentrated light, we're talking about power output here, and all three are ALMOST THE SAME!

If all three flashes are measured at 35mm zoom position (FL-50 in 135/35mm mode rather than 4/3 mode), and all measured at ISO100, here are the guide numbers for each flash:

Peter 1745 Senior Member • Posts: 1,039
Re: Does the FL-600R have a zoom head?

dotborg wrote:

Like the FL-36R and FL-50R?

yes

-- hide signature --

Regards, Peter 'Keep taking the photos'

Peter 1745's gear list:Peter 1745's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II

Thanks for the replies.  Looks like the fl50r will be ok for my needs

Is there any other flash I should consider that can be used on the Olympus that is better etc Metz 58. I don't know much about these at all.  Is the Olympus FL50r the better choice.

Thanks to those of you in the know.

Appreciated

Maria

-- hide signature --

I forgot to add.  I want to be able to use remotely from the EM5 so another flash must be capable of this also.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

daddyo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,009
My experience...

The FL50r is clearly more powerful than the FL600r, however, for use with the E-M5 for event work it is too bulky in my opinion.

I find that I get great results shooting at ISO 400, which give the FL600 plenty of flash range and the recycle time is immediate -- also the battery life is outstanding. I shoot my E-M5 using an Opteka FB-30 flash bracket with FL600 and a Vivitar flash diffuser (it's a mini soft box) - it's a compact, professional looking set up that really works well for me. If I am shooting a venue with low, white ceilings I use a 'Better Bounce Card' set up on my flash.

Below is a shot from a recent corporate golf championship trade show. I was using the Vivitar diffuser.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

Olympus E-M5
1/50s f/3.5 at 14.0mm iso400

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Albert Ang Regular Member • Posts: 245
Re: You're mistaken, Canon, Nikon, & Oly FL-50r have similar power output...

Mike_PEAT wrote:

They ARE on par...when measuring flash they have to be at the SAME ISO, and SAME zoom...you can only compare flashes if they are the same setting! Although some flashes have more zoom to gain a more concentrated light, we're talking about power output here, and all three are ALMOST THE SAME!

My quick test result:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50154838

Albert Ang's gear list:Albert Ang's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Jeremy_T Senior Member • Posts: 1,224

RamblinR wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the fl50r will be ok for my needs

Is there any other flash I should consider that can be used on the Olympus that is better etc Metz 58. I don't know much about these at all. Is the Olympus FL50r the better choice.

Thanks to those of you in the know.

Appreciated

Maria

-- hide signature --

I have a Metz 50 af-1 and find it a very good flash. The 58 AF-2 looks to be quite good on paper as well.

One thing to be aware of is the difference in how guide number is represented, and Metz uses a longer zoom length than Oly (thus making their flashes appear more powerful). The FL-50R advertised GN is at 85mm, while Metz advertised GNs are at 105mm. You need to use the instruction manual to decipher an equivalent GN.

In Oly terms, the 58's GN at 85mm zoom more like 52 - so only minimally more powerful than the Oly FL-50R.

Should you be thinking you can save money with the Metz 50 AF-1, be aware that its GN at 85mm is 45, placing it between the FL-600R and the FL-50R (but closer to the latter).

From a handling perspective any flash larger than the FL-600R is big and imbalanced mounted on a M43 camera and I find I carry the 50 AF-1 rather infrequently due only to size. For this reason I recommend owning something the size of the FL-600R or smaller for casual shooting, even if you still need something more powerful as well.

Jeremy_T's gear list:Jeremy_T's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
papillon_65
papillon_65 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,030
If you want to use multiple strobes consider Yongnuo....

they have built up a good reputation for reliable flash guns that are considerably cheaper than own brand, and most 3rd party flashes such as Metz. They can be triggered wirelessly from an Olympus though they are not TTL. You can get an FL50R equivalent (minus TTL) for an absolute fraction of the price (we're talking about 85% cheaper!). I could buy four of these for less than the price of one FL 600R. Personally I don't see a lack of TTL as any kind of issue but you might, if not then they are definitely worth a punt and I'm pretty sure you could get them in Oz.

http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-ourproduct.php?category=1.Flash

-- hide signature --

Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V +7 more

Canon the fl50r be used manually off the camera.  1/1, 1/2, 1/4 etc

I have the fl600r and just working my way around the flash I can't find full manual but I'll get the guide tonight to work out how they have this arranged.  Or maybe this flash can't do it.

-- hide signature --

Have checked the manual and unless I am missing something (which is quite possible) I can't seem to find where this flash can be used in manual 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, etc

Does anyone know if it can be used with triggers in this way?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

DigitalDick Contributing Member • Posts: 691
Re: FL600R

Set the FL600R to RC mode. Then in the Flash Control panel in the camera set the FL600R to M and set the power level. The camera controls the settings for the external.

If I remember correctly I think you can also set the flash directly to fire in Manual mode and control the power setting in the flash. I don't have the flash with me at the moment to confirm that.

Dick

dotborg Veteran Member • Posts: 8,250
Re: You're mistaken, Canon, Nikon, & Oly FL-50r have similar power output...

Albert Ang wrote:

Mike_PEAT wrote:

My quick test result:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50154838

What people are usually concerned with is how much light reaches their subject, not how much spills onto the floor immediately in front of the flash. Try repeating the test against a flat wall with the units set to equivalent focal lengths (like 35mm for the Olympus and 70mm for the Nikon).

JCB123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,269

RamblinR wrote:

For those that do event work, how have you found the power of the FL600 for your work (bouncing light etc)?  Is it powerful enough?

Really interested in comments from those that have both flashes.  How is the recycle time of the FL50R compared to the FL600.

Thanks

FL600R is smaller so less overwhelming when mounted on the camera.

FL50R is considerably more powerful and this power is needed for larger rooms halls etc. Very Bulky when mounted on camera so best mounted off camera

Metz 52 AF-1 has much the same functionality & power output as the 50R for just over half the cost.

Manual flash. I use up to 4 Yongnuo manual flash units off camera. I prefer to use manual flash & I don't find this any more difficult than using ttl. The only problem I have had with these is that I could not get them to work with radio triggers so having to use the luminance slave trigger mode. This means that I have to have a flash on or connected to the camera to provide the trigger, and cannot use this system where others are also using cameras with flash. If these limitations present a problem I have to use my Nikon cameras which do work with Yongnuo RF603 radio triggers.

If you just want a small flash to use in ttl mode on-camera then the Nissin Di466 is quite nice (bounces but doesn't swivel though. The Metz 52 AF-1 is what I would go for if you want more power although its a larger gun can make for awkward handling. In this situation I use my left hand to hold the body of the flash if hand holding or use a tripod. I prefer to take a flash this size off the camera though.

Regards

John

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads