Quick fix for K-5 battery-depleted problem?

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Questions
Jeff Charles Veteran Member • Posts: 7,514
Quick fix for K-5 battery-depleted problem?

When I press the shutter button to take a photo, my K-5 will not fire. The LCD shows "Battery Depleted." I tried two fully charged batteries, one of them a Pentax, but that did not fix the problem. Also, I've removed and replaced the battery, removed and replaced the SD card, tried different lenses, etc. Still no go. (I've read all the posts on the problem here and at Pentax Forums, and I've tried all suggestions, except the overnight reset.)

I assume that it needs to go to Pentax for repair, but I'm posting this on the chance that someone has found a quick fix, since I need the camera for an event that starts an hour and a half from now.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X100T Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +5 more
ANSWER:
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 5,195
Re: Quick fix for K-5 battery-depleted problem?

Hi Jeff,

I noticed that you had little response to your thread so I thought I would throw in my two-hapethworth, you didn't however, state the circumstances before the problem. All I can suggest in fact, is to try a battery that isn't fully charged, or if you only have fully charged ones,try discharging one by using a 12 V car bulb across the two outer terminals(ignore the center terminal) for a few minutes and then reinsert the battery and try again. If that changes nothing there is little to do other than to return the camera to Pentax. Sorry that I cannot give any other help.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +16 more
OP Jeff Charles Veteran Member • Posts: 7,514

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Hi Jeff,

I noticed that you had little response to your thread so I thought I would throw in my two-hapethworth, you didn't however, state the circumstances before the problem. All I can suggest in fact, is to try a battery that isn't fully charged, or if you only have fully charged ones,try discharging one by using a 12 V car bulb across the two outer terminals(ignore the center terminal) for a few minutes and then reinsert the battery and try again. If that changes nothing there is little to do other than to return the camera to Pentax. Sorry that I cannot give any other help.

Good luck!

Thanks. I will try that.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X100T Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +5 more
capturef22 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,578

Hi Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your difficulty and I hope you found a solution for your immediate need. I too read many of the posts about people having difficulty but don't remember many of the posters reporting seeing the "Battery Depleted" message. I too got that message shortly before my camera "died" altogether.

It won't help you in the short-term and it may not help you in the long term (your situation and mine might be completely different), but my K5 is on its way back from CRIS. They reported:

WARRANTY
REPAIRED MIRROR OVERRUN/LOCKUP PROBLEM
MIRROR LOCKING UP WAS CAUSING BATTERY DEPLETION AND CAMERA FREEZING PROBLEMS.
CHECKED FIRMWARE
RESET ALL
CLEANED AND CHECKED TO MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS

My whole story is here (p.3).

Good luck; I hope you're up and running soon!

DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 13,388

"Battery-depleted" when the battery is not depleted is the Pentax way of telling you that there is something  seriously wrong with your camera.  With luck you can take the battery out and let the camera sit over-night and it just might solve the problem.  If not it is time to ship it somewhere for repair.  I had this problem with a K10D when the main motherboard failed.  I also have it with a K-5 when the mirror-motor failed.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.

DLBlack wrote:

"Battery-depleted" when the battery is not depleted is the Pentax way of telling you that there is something seriously wrong with your camera. With luck you can take the battery out and let the camera sit over-night and it just might solve the problem. If not it is time to ship it somewhere for repair. I had this problem with a K10D when the main motherboard failed. I also have it with a K-5 when the mirror-motor failed.

I did try leaving it overnight with no battery, but that did not solve the problem. I sent it to Pentax in the US today.

Maybe "Something is seriously wrong with your camera" would be a clearer message than "Battery-depleted", but I did get the message.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

Holger Bargen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,123

Could you let us know if it was the orignal Pentax battery? I had two batteries - the orignal one and one from another company - not a no name product but not Pentax. One day the no name battery failed after a few shoots with high energy consumption (Liveview+HDR calculation). I looked around and found in the internet taht thsi was a problem of that particular batterie company. No problems with original batterie. So I bought a new second batterie and the problem was solved.

Best regards

Holger

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +6 more

Holger Bargen wrote:

Could you let us know if it was the orignal Pentax battery?

I tried two batteries. One was a Pentax, the other a Lenmar.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,237

Jeff Charles wrote:

Holger Bargen wrote:

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news, There is no quick fix.

Your shutter is failing , The camera needs service so will require returning to Pentax.

If you brought from a pro store with the two year warranty it will be covered.

I suspect there is a Mech change for this (shutter overrun) as there appears to be an above average number failing in the 14-18 month age window.

If you keep trying to fire the shutter in this state the camera will eventually perform a full reset wiping all your custom setting dammed annoying.

If your desperate to get the shot and the camera is less important then remove the lens and flick the mirror a few times. This may/hould unlock the shutter but may ultimately destroy the camera

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +17 more

awaldram wrote:

Jeff Charles wrote:

Holger Bargen wrote:

Your shutter is failing , The camera needs service so will require returning to Pentax.

I shipped it to Pentax yesterday.

If your desperate to get the shot and the camera is less important then remove the lens and flick the mirror a few times. This may/hould unlock the shutter but may ultimately destroy the camera.

I tried that, but it did not help.

I do like the idea of getting the shot being more important than the camera.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

mwgstan New Member • Posts: 12

Jeff Charles wrote:

awaldram wrote:

Jeff Charles wrote:

Holger Bargen wrote:

I shipped it to Pentax yesterday.

If your desperate to get the shot and the camera is less important then remove the lens and flick the mirror a few times. This may/hould unlock the shutter but may ultimately destroy the camera.

I tried that, but it did not help.

I do like the idea of getting the shot being more important than the camera.

A couple weeks ago, while I was shooting egrets, my K5 locked up in same manner. Initially I though it was battery running low. Did the all tricks, removing/inserting battery, cleaning lens contacts, changing camera mode, all in vain. Got home, recharged battery, used different lenses, reset to factory default, still no use. Then searched forum, someone suggested pushing LV button in fast succession, that worked, so far it still takes shots, just feel nervous when that will happen again.

mwgstan wrote:

Then searched forum, someone suggested pushing LV button in fast succession, that worked, so far it still takes shots, just feel nervous when that will happen again.

I tried that too, but it also did not help. Maybe I didn't push the LV button in fast enough succession. Regardless, if you have to do something like that to make the camera perform the basic task of taking a photo, something is wrong.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads