Ditching your DSLR?

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions
MattiusGB Forum Member • Posts: 86
Re: Ditching your DSLR?

ianbrown wrote:

I think a lot of people are sick of lugging heavy bodies and lenses around but, is it time to ditch the DSLR yet?

If you bought an X Pro1 or EX1 did you ditch your DSLR, if so what do you miss if anything?

Looks like the mirror-less cameras fit the bill up to 800 ISO but they do lack telephoto etc

Or did you keep both, it would be good to hear of your experiences

I'm a hobbyist and simply enjoy taking pictures for my own pleasure.  I don't sell them but I do print them for displays, home frames and personal picture books etc.  I had a D700 which went all around the world and performed brilliantly in deserts, dusty environments and humid conditions etc.  Now that I have a little person and associated paraphernalia to take around the Nikon kit was too much and the personal hobby ultimately gets less time.  I sold all the DSLR stuff and bought the X-Pro1 and three primes.  Any regrets?  None.  IQ is excellent, it's great fun to use and is far more portable.  I guess whether ditching a DSLR is a good idea will change for each person depending on their own needs, priorities and personal circumstances.

kwa_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,252

I've been constantly downsizing since I stopped shooting on assignment (I used to shoot college football, some commercial and even had one national magazine cover).  Now I shoot for my own pleasure.  I started with Canon and L glass.  Then downsized to Olympus E-1/E-3 and their mid-grade glass, then moved to micro 4/3 with a GF1 and GH1 and kit lenses and 20 f/1.7. 
Now i'm in the Fuji X camp with an X100 (main camera), X10 ("pocket travel") and the X-S1 (still at Fuji for lens/sensor swap...argh).  I just select the tool I want for each occassion.

Later today, for a family outing, it's the X100.

For a sports event or tele occassion, the X-S1

For the upcoming family vacation, the X100 + X10

Oh, and an iPhone 4s in my pocket at all times just in case.

I've contemplated going the X-E1 route and may down the road, but for now, I'm pleased with my "selecting the right tool for the right job" approach.  Each camera is about the cost of a decent lens.  The X100 EXCELS at what it does.  The X-S1 (24-624mm f/2.8-5.6) at $599 is a bargain IMO (come on Fuji, repair and send it back!!!).

I have no plans to go back to a DSLR.

-- hide signature --
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,441

ianbrown wrote:

I think a lot of people are sick of lugging heavy bodies and lenses around but, is it time to ditch the DSLR yet?

Don't know but for me no.

Because the Fuji X-Pro1 + XE-1 Lenses are not good enough for my needs + to Expensive for the Performance.

I would only buy the XE-1 or X-Pro1 with a Nikon AE Adapter there can write the F-Number in the EXIF-Data and so on...

Regards: Carsten

srdilley2 Forum Member • Posts: 53

Ditched Canon gear about 1 year ago, i.e. 1D Mark IV, 300 2.8L IS, and more, but kept the 7D & &70-300L is for the long stuff.  I was thinking of buying a 5D Mark III, but the Fuji seemed a better option.  Thus far I only use the 7D on rare occasions.. doing more travel, street and landscapes where the Fuji really shines.  No regrets.

-- hide signature --

Captivated by the light

Finch585 Contributing Member • Posts: 509

I love my X100 but kept and still love my Nikon D7000 and the few lenses I got prior. I find they have different well documented and blogged strengths and best serve me for different projects. I definitely carry my X100 with me out and about more often, especially for street and travel.

I tend to pull out my D7000 system when shooting events where I don't need stealth.

-- hide signature --
 Finch585's gear list:Finch585's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +2 more
prentisd Contributing Member • Posts: 727
-- hide signature --
Ross Kennedy Regular Member • Posts: 300

The Fuji lenses are not good enough for your needs...seriously???!

The 35mm is an absolutely superb optic. Who else makes a lens like that with better performance at a cheaper price?

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,878

Until they state making mirrorless cameras that support bar code readings like the s5, then I am stuck with DSLRs.

Jonesey New Member • Posts: 12

This is my first post ever! Having been a canon man for over thirty years, possibly more! I've got fed up with the looks I get from people when I go out with a Dlsr plus a few lens 's. it makes me feel uncomfortable, as if photographers are pedo's! as I love ttaking ices, particularly landscapes, I've been on the lookout for a smaller, more discrete system, I.e. rangefinder style for some time. The Leica is far too expensive for e, so I looked at the x pro. Then saw the launch of the x- e1 , well to cut a long story short. ffordes in Scotland have taken my Canon gear in exchange for the x- e1 plus kit lens plus the 18mm.

Looking forward to mid nov when the gear should arrive, and I can start again

Jonesey's gear list:Jonesey's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 40D Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
lnbolch Senior Member • Posts: 2,311

I appreciate the D700 when traveling and working out of a vehicle—wide range of focal lengths let me respond to whatever is around the next bend. Above all, its GPS that lets me pinpoint where every shot was taken, embedded in the EXIF data. As an urban, walkin'-'round, shootin'-stuff camera, the X-Pro1 is ideal. Both cameras let me react and capture whatever I find.

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
archrich Senior Member • Posts: 1,330

Interesting question. I'd likely give up my Oly dSLR gear if I didn't photograph  so much wildlife. The long lens for mirrorless cameras just aren't here yet for this type of photography. I'd be more than comfortable with an X-E1 or an X-Pro for landscape shooting and the rest of my photography. . Everytime I hoist my camera bag I think it's time to move to a Fuji mirrorless system.  Lately I've been using my X100 & WCL for landscapes and greatly enjoy using it. On a regular basis now I carry my X10 & X100 instead of my dSLR except when I'm photographing animals.

archrich's gear list:archrich's gear list
Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Fujifilm X30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm X100F Olympus E-1 +5 more
Indulis Bernsteins Regular Member • Posts: 475
Re: Ditching your DSLR- Why all the "unlikes" on good comments?

Who are the twits "unliking" posts when the people writing the posts have just given their opinions. Please stop doing it, it is really silly to rate a post as negative just because you personally don't agree with it. If the person posting is inaccurate, wrong, or abusive, then there's a reason to rate the comment down. If it is just a person telling you what they do and why, it is a positive contribution even if you personally wouldn't do things the same way.

Indulis Bernsteins's gear list:Indulis Bernsteins's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
nawknai Senior Member • Posts: 1,043

I saw $7000 worth of Nikon stuff not being used and thought, "Well that's a lot of money sitting in the closet."   I sold it all and saved the money in a high-interest savings account that currently pays 5.16% interest p.a. (and paid 6.51% at the time).

And this is when I bought my X100, not my X-Pro 1.  That's how much I like it.

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,441

The Fuji lenses are not good enough for your needs...seriously???!

The 35mm is an absolutely superb optic. Who else makes a lens like that with better performance at a cheaper price?

Yes "seriously", => Samyang 35mm F/1.4 .

Regards: Carsten

rjx Contributing Member • Posts: 917
Depends on your needs, wants and acceptable compromises

I'd use the XP1 for casual travel, light walk around kit, and when I want to be more discrete.

I'd use the DSLR for real macro, serious landscape + nature, wildlife and portraits. I don't shoot sports, but that would be another DSLR use.

It just depends on what you like to shoot, what you need, want, what your willing to compromise on and your budget.

rjx's gear list:rjx's gear list
Nikon D750 Sony FE 28mm F2 Zeiss Loxia 50 Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +2 more
MuMinded Senior Member • Posts: 1,939
Not ditching.. But now in storage

I have a D300 with a plethora of Nikon glass..     However, a few weeks ago now I packed up all of my glass in the original boxes and put them in storage with only one exception..  I've kept the D300 and 80-200 Nikkor lens only for the occasional sports photography of my kids..

I live in Japan and the amount of money I could get for a used DSLR is practically nothing.    My son will soon enter into High School and when he does I'm considering donating the body and a few lenses to the photography club as a gesture of good will..

My X-Pro 1 is now THE camera of choice for me..   hands down.

MuMinded's gear list:MuMinded's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

As said the lack of telephoto options will ensure some will be DSLR users in the future.

Depends on what you do shooting wise

Fuji's offerings are interesting, but not yet mature and in need of more lenses/refinements. I think some will def look at them to compliment their SLR set-up. Maybe street shooters will be happy to dump the DSLR, but for general use I don't see that happening.

I'm keeping an open mind to possibly looking at Fuji's system in the future, but now isn't the time not for me anyway.

Thomas Streng Senior Member • Posts: 2,753

I still have my D700 and several lenses for sports and tele...(additionally to my Leica M and Fuji cameras) but dont use the Nikon much.

But its more the IQ than the size.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads