Nikon dumping lemon D800/D800e/D600, Federal Trade Commision or other gov't entity assist us ?

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions
KewlEugene Regular Member • Posts: 306
Nikon dumping lemon D800/D800e/D600, Federal Trade Commision or other gov't entity assist us ?

We now know that Nikon obviously didn't finish developing and tuning the manufacturing line for the D800/D800e/D600 and dumped defective products on American consumers. How can we get the  Federal Trade Commision or other gov't entity assist us ?

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
Re: Nikon dumping lemon D800/D800e/D600, Federal Trade Commision or other gov't entity assist us ?

KewlEugene wrote:

We now know that Nikon obviously didn't finish developing and tuning the manufacturing line for the D800/D800e/D600 and dumped defective products on American consumers. How can we get the Federal Trade Commision or other gov't entity assist us ?

We do? You can prove intent?

Take the internal Nikon memo or email that has Nikon executives discussing dumping defective product in the USA.

The FTC will not be interested in speculation.

-- hide signature --
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,305
Re: Nikon dumping lemon D800/D800e/D600, Federal Trade Commision or other gov't entity assist us ?

KewlEugene wrote:

We now know that Nikon obviously didn't finish developing and tuning the manufacturing line for the D800/D800e/D600 and dumped defective products on American consumers. How can we get the Federal Trade Commision or other gov't entity assist us ?

Maybe you should write to Judge Judy.

-- hide signature --

Roy

OP KewlEugene Regular Member • Posts: 306

Nikon's intent is obvious to people who have worked in engineering, manufacturing, marketing, customer service, etc. You sit in meetings and discuss bugs, defects, components, shortages, staff, etc. then make decisions. If we could at least get free shipping to and from the service centers that would be nice. Better if Nikon dealers opened up D600, D800, and D800e units and tested and certified the units before listing for sale since Nikon quality control is not doing it now.

Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,807

Funniest reply I've read in ages  - thanks for that !!

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
gl2k
gl2k Veteran Member • Posts: 3,232
as always ...

If you believe that a company sucks, stop buying their products. That's the only thing that makes companies rethinking their strategy.

OP KewlEugene Regular Member • Posts: 306
Re: as always ...

Nikon needs to hire Morton Thiokol execs

Mr Gadget Senior Member • Posts: 1,973

Less than kwel comment

If you think you have been wronged by Nikon, lawyer up with a good class action tort lawyer and go after them. If they think you have a case then you are in high cotton; oh wait, you need to own a defective D800/E/600 that Nikon has refused to repair, you do have a defective camera that has been refused repair/replacement dont you?

-- hide signature --

Conrad --------------------------------------------------- Show Low, Arizona

michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,527
D600?

KewlEugene wrote:

What's wrong with the D600?  And please don't say dust/oil on the sensor.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +28 more
Snapternity Junior Member • Posts: 31

If that's the case, I say Nikon refund first.

Gosman Contributing Member • Posts: 924

Refurbished D800s are now being dumped on the market.  See my previous thread.

-- hide signature --

Jay

Catalana Senior Member • Posts: 1,259

LOL

Catalana's gear list:Catalana's gear list
Pentax K-5 Nikon D600 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +10 more
LPLIV Regular Member • Posts: 179
Re: D600?

Total nonsense..  Did you stir up enough poop to get a response??  Do you need the attention that badly that you would make such an empty headed statement...  Oh well, filtering the nonsense is getting easier on this forum...

On a more serious note, I spent almost thirty years in the elecronics industry in a wide variety of markets... Semiconductors, PC's starting with IBM's early models, main frame computers, DASD, tape drives, electonics based ag products ad nauseam...  To be honest no product that I have ever worked with or seen, no matter how well engineered ever came out with some kind of design flaw, mfg process error, software bug... I had a VP of developement tell one of my customers once that his processsor (system) board we were building looked like a plate of spagetti because he had some many jumper wires on it you could hardly see the board...  . Often times the down side would result in millions of fixit dollars eating away at lost profit..  So I guess those silly execs at Nikon decided to just throw away millions of dollars of what could be profit to refurb and repair...  And then.. to add insult to injury they arbitrarily decided to pick on one of the most litigeous (especially for consumer products) societies in the world...  Go figure... the logic of it all...

Let me know how that works for you...  I am sure that some lawyer will pick up your cause if you are serious...  BTW my D600 doesn't seem to have any flaws yet, I guess that I got one of the only good ones.... Lucky me...

Phil

LPLIV's gear list:LPLIV's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) +5 more
Gosman Contributing Member • Posts: 924

LPLIV wrote:

On a more serious note, I spent almost thirty years in the elecronics industry in a wide variety of markets... Semiconductors, PC's starting with IBM's early models, main frame computers, DASD, tape drives, electonics based ag products ad nauseam... To be honest no product that I have ever worked with or seen, no matter how well engineered ever came out with some kind of design flaw, mfg process error, software bug... I had a VP of developement tell one of my customers once that his processsor (system) board we were building looked like a plate of spagetti because he had some many jumper wires on it you could hardly see the board... . Often times the down side would result in millions of fixit dollars eating away at lost profit.. So I guess those silly execs at Nikon decided to just throw away millions of dollars of what could be profit to refurb and repair... And then.. to add insult to injury they arbitrarily decided to pick on one of the most litigeous (especially for consumer products) societies in the world... Go figure... the logic of it all...

Phil

Nonsence.  I also had 30 years in the electronics and telecommunications business. You obviously were before 6 sigma.  Continueous improvement is the goal here and Nikon is going backwards.

-- hide signature --

Jay

mbecke Contributing Member • Posts: 807

KewlEugene wrote:

OP, good post.    Don't let the imbeciles below dissuade you.    Your points are well taken.    Probably the most appropriate course of action would be a class action lawsuit.   Also, has anyone reported these QC issues to Consumer Reports?     Might make for some useful publicity.

garyhgaryh Contributing Member • Posts: 551

Gosman wrote:

Refurbished D800s are now being dumped on the market. See my previous thread.

Someone on this forum got butt hurt when I asked where are all the refurbished Nikons.

Finally! But of course, did they fix the L-AF issue on those units?

Gary

olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,924
What a...

KewlEugene wrote:

...nonsense.

olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,924

mbecke wrote:

KewlEugene wrote:

OP, good post. Don't let the imbeciles below dissuade you. Your points are well taken. Probably the most appropriate course of action would be a class action lawsuit. Also, has anyone reported these QC issues to Consumer Reports? Might make for some useful publicity.

Sure it's a good post if you believe in conspiracy...

LPLIV Regular Member • Posts: 179

Not sure what Sigma 6 is, sorry..   That's pretty funny that you believe that Nikon decided to dump so much defective product on the US..  There really is no way they can get away with it at least in California because the have to include a one year warranty by law here...  Oh well..   Or they did a cost analysis on what it would cost them to fix them at the factory first and then decided to ship them out so that they would have to devote thousands of man hours and millions of $'s in parts to recycle all the defective cameras and then sell them at a lower price as refurbed if they weren't returned to the original owner...  (Is this where Sigma 6 fits into your product quality scheme... I'm sure Finance loved the Engineer Quality group after that one???)

Honestly I was never with an electronics company (Solectron, Nat Semi, Hitachi Data Systems, Sinclair Systems International, MKS, CDC,) that had and still have products that came with out some sort of design, mfg., sw or functional flaw..  These are Billion+$ well respected long lasting profitable companies...   The companies I worked for built to mil spec, and standard grade mfg quality standards.   You are right about one thing though...  I am a little older, but not nieve enought to believe that you can implement a standard of some sort and not have issues of some type with your product...  (Sorry, no offense intended in that last statement.)  I suspect that if you were to take a good look at your own industry you would see issues with phones, routers, what ever that come from any of the issues I mentioned above...  I can honestly say I have recieved a bad phone, Verizon still gives me crappy recption in my own home even though I have synched with the closest cell tower to my house.  I have gone thru several wireless routers due to defects.  Sorry I haven't bought any Cisco routers lately because they are too expensive...  But I do know that they all have a CS&S  (Customer Service and Support )  I spent 12 years working in a field engineering support group for main frame computers and periferals and I can guarentee you that the quality and design of our equipment was top notch but...  We still spent millions on field eingineering parts support, engineering change support and plug compatible software issues for all the players in the industry.

so if you still believe I am wrong about this, I will agree to disagree... Not my intention to offend, sorry if I did but...  We (our designs and processes) are human and mistakes are made...

Phil

LPLIV's gear list:LPLIV's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) +5 more
chili5555 Forum Member • Posts: 96

KewlEugene wrote:

Nikon's intent is obvious to people who have worked in engineering, manufacturing, marketing, customer service, etc.

Judges and juries don't decide cases on perceived intent. Cases are decided upon violations of law that are proved in court. If you  can prove it, file a class-action suit and do so.

chili5555's gear list:chili5555's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads