The scratch right below the reflecting mirror on D600.

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,075
Re: With the risk of trading in a scratch for a a left Af issue.
1

MariusMM wrote:

Has any one tried to sending it to NIKON and getting it fixed? I've contacted Nikon Customer Support send them that picture, they told me to send it to Nikon for a fix, same thing with OIL spill. But because i need my camera for upcoming photo shots i will hold on from sending, for now.

Exactly. Nikon will fix it because it is not normal, but if you don't send the camera in it will not be fixed. You can wait but you must contact Nikon immediately when the camera is new otherwise they might blame you for it, and might not fix it under the warranty, but you have to agree with them that you will wait.

That's just my point. I can not understand why people are discussing issues on this forum and do nothing about them on their own. Who is best to fix problems if not Nikon?

 olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
Any updates on this issue?

I'm planning on sending it in this week.

lock

lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
This doesn't illustrate the true situation

Your example about the car is different. We did not seee the scratch before we bought it.

so we now have to rely on Nikon and how they handle it. I cannot return it and ask for a refund because the camera is not 'faulty'. It still works. So it should be repaired. Which likely means either a long wait, or a new one that probably will show the same issues within due time.

lock

MariusMM Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: Any updates on this issue?

lock wrote:

I'm planning on sending it in this week.

lock

I think i will send my on Monday. Have you contacted Nikon what did they say?

olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,075
Re: This doesn't illustrate the true situation

lock wrote:

Your example about the car is different. We did not seee the scratch before we bought it.

so we now have to rely on Nikon and how they handle it. I cannot return it and ask for a refund because the camera is not 'faulty'. It still works. So it should be repaired. Which likely means either a long wait, or a new one that probably will show the same issues within due time.

lock

Of course, if you would see the damage in the shop you may say no to the camera, but in terms of the car analogy, I just meant that it would not be acceptable, even though we can with 100% certainty say it would not alter the performance of the car, as opposed to the scratch inside the camera, which might cause problems. Of course, you can not return the camera but you can demand repair, just like if you detect the scratch on your brand new car after you have paid for and taken the key, or at home later on when the family is walking around it as well. Yes, the price you'd pay is being without the camera for the time it takes to get it fixed, but personally, I would not hesitate to get it fixed because it might cause problems and if it does it is worse because you might not be sure it is the camera and you might spend time testing lenses and other things, like light source, hood, filter or something else.

 olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
Nikon repair center

has no idea about this issue. I'm the first one reporting it. They adviced me to take the retailer route so that, if neccessary, exchanging it for a new one would be possible.

I want to have it fixed. Either because I will continue to use the camera, or because I will sell it within a month or so. I cannot sell it knowing this damage exists.

lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
They never heard of it.

I was actually contacting them about the inconsistent implementation of the focus priority and the fact that focus trap no longer works (which btw they considered odd and judged it as an incidentally flawed camera...).

I sent them the picture of the damage and they said it should not happen. They adviced me to first send it to the retailer because they might exchange the camera with a new one. Whether that solves this issue for good is another question.

lock

lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
Did you return it?

Or have you decided otherwise? mine is going to Beverwijk, one way (retailer) or the other.

lock

Prairie Pal Senior Member • Posts: 2,725
To All: regarding my second body with only 1 shutter actuation

My dealer exchanged my first body a few days ago. After picking up the second body I took only 1 test shot to see what the condition was from the factory. The new body had 5 oil spots right out of the box. This is a vast improvement over the first one, which was littered with oil spots PLUS 2 large obvious paint chips that looked like hard edged with flat sides and pure pitch black (so obviously not dust or oil). Darn I wish I had kept those test shots. In another forum I explained how I continously blew, brushed, wet cleaned until the sensor was spotless. Then fired off 10 frames with the camera upside down and then recorded another reference frame. I couldn't shoot 10 frames on a squeaky clean sensor without picking up new spots. I finally went out to shoot in the afternoon and picked up about 39 significant spots after 125 shots.

Does anyone have any requests or suggestions how to document the sensor from this second body with only 1 shutter actuation?

 Prairie Pal's gear list:Prairie Pal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Prairie Pal Senior Member • Posts: 2,725
Re: You made me look into my D800 and...

olyflyer wrote:

...I have no scratches. This is an obvious QC issue and a camera with those scratches shouldn't have left the factory. I am pretty sure none of my cameras before the D800 had scratches because it is not normal to have them. The surface is matte black to eliminate possible reflection or internal flare, so there is a reason why scratches are not normal to have and why we must be careful when we are changing lenses or cleaning our cameras. If mine was scratched I'd send it in to Nikon to get it fixed. There is no way I'd keep the camera with the scratches, not only that it may reduce IQ, but also because it definitely reduces the second hand value. While I am not particularly worried about the second hand value, never the less, I would not accept something which reduces it's value due to manufacturing error.

BTW, I don't understand those people who are giving you the thumb down for this thread... In my opinion it is a good thread because it opens our eyes and make us think.

Knowledge is power.  Unfortunately I think Joe-average-consumer will discover this issue more readily on you-tube before he does in these forums.  I think we need to take this to You-tube on a larger scale.

I'm on my second body.  I would have preferred a refund so I could wait it out but the return period passed by before I had a chance.  If I continue to have issues with body #2 I will offer to make an exchange for a D800.

 Prairie Pal's gear list:Prairie Pal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
sebastian huvenaars Forum Member • Posts: 57
Re: Did you return it?

Yep. Good service from the dealer. Explained the case to the guy helping me, he understood my concern.

There will be a D800 under the christmas tree this year : )

For what it's worth, here's the 118th picture i took with my D600:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastianhuvenaars/8139742846/in/photostream

(Tweaked the levels to show most of the contamination)

ataylorthefish New Member • Posts: 5
Re: They never heard of it.

I've just sent my second D600 back to Nikon today with two significant spots showing at F5.6 in the top left corner. The first camera I bought from a shop in Sydney had a large spot visible at F5.6 (top left again).. and literally loads of dust visible above F16 which I was less concerned with.

The Shop replaced the first one, and the initial test shot they quickly took  looked ok, but a few shots in a couple of days later without changing any lenses and I noticed spots in the sky again at F5.6.

Hoping Nikon don't just clean it and say next time it happens it will cost. Will update with what they come back with.

lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
Wow.

That's a mess !

Mine isn't that bad but I will send it in on Friday.

lock

OP Snapternity Junior Member • Posts: 31
I did send Nikon a couple of mail with this problem.

This first mail I sent with the photos of the scratches and they (not Nikon but the official local dealer in my country) just told me that Nikon has only informed them to do the sensor cleaning.

And so I did some search about this sensor cleaning thing, and found the local dealer is offering free sensor cleaning for D600 only.  And there were some people who heard the blowing-air machine working outside the cleaning room so I figured Nikon told them to do the cleaning to the entire mirror box.  Maybe the dust were already inside the camera?  I don't know, it's just my guess.

And the second mail I sent I've requested them to announce some statement, even something little to ease the customers worries.  So I advised them some topics to say about, such as this thread, the scratches, and the left-focusing problem on some cameras, and the dust/oil problem.  The funny thing is they told me to send photos of all the problems (how in the hell do I send photos of any left-focusing problem?) , and provide them the serial number of the camera as if they've never received such trouble-shooting mail before.

I just think that we might need a bigger action other than send them mails individually.

adostrom New Member • Posts: 10
Re: The scratch right below the reflecting mirror on D600.
1

olyflyer wrote:

larrywilson wrote:

If the camera takes good images then the scratch is not causing any type of problem. I have a good respect for Nikon, but never have been into micro inspecting any camera device. This thread has gone on for at least three pages and there is not a shred of evidence that the same scratches or whatever are causing any sort of problem.

Let's just say I disagree with you. If there is a scratch inside the mirror chamber than that migt cause flare or reflection. You might or mignt not see it in your images and might even suspect the lens or the filter because it will definitely not cause constant problems, just some times depending on the angle of light. There is a good reason why the mirror box is painted that way, not just for the cool look.

The fact that you never inspected your camera is totally irrelevant to the readers.

BTW, wouldn't you care if a brand new car you just bought had a scratch on the paint? ...and in that case it would definitely not have anything to do with the function of the car, as opposed to this case with a camera.

I used to work for car dealers.  I hate to tell you this, but just about every new car has had a scratch (or a lot more) either buffed out, or touched up.  And -- this was expensive European luxury cars that got delivered in special trucks and whatnot.  This is being blown way out of proportion -- if you're worried about flare, take a black sharpie and make it black.

lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
Is that so?

Than why did Nikon urge me to send it in after seeing the pictures of the damage? So they can nsolve it with a black sharpie ?

lock Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
Maybe you should stick to the facts.

You've got a scratched mirror box ? Send it in and tell them to repair it since this is not normal. Wait until they respond. If they solve the problem, the issue is known to lead to either repair or replacement. If not, start from there. If more buyers complain about Nikon not doing anything, the thing will grow bigger by itself.

But do not count on Nikon admitting there is something wrong. That's not the way they make money.

Rich Rauenzahn Forum Member • Posts: 55
Re: Is that so?

lock wrote:

Than why did Nikon urge me to send it in after seeing the pictures of the damage? So they can nsolve it with a black sharpie ?

I'd be worried it is an indication of a bad baked paint job, which means it could continue to flake (maybe it's not a scratch..)

We'll never know, which is why it should be sent to Nikon -- because after your 1 year warranty is up, the defect is on you.

olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,075
Re: The scratch right below the reflecting mirror on D600.

adostrom wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

larrywilson wrote:

If the camera takes good images then the scratch is not causing any type of problem. I have a good respect for Nikon, but never have been into micro inspecting any camera device. This thread has gone on for at least three pages and there is not a shred of evidence that the same scratches or whatever are causing any sort of problem.

Let's just say I disagree with you. If there is a scratch inside the mirror chamber than that migt cause flare or reflection. You might or mignt not see it in your images and might even suspect the lens or the filter because it will definitely not cause constant problems, just some times depending on the angle of light. There is a good reason why the mirror box is painted that way, not just for the cool look.

The fact that you never inspected your camera is totally irrelevant to the readers.

BTW, wouldn't you care if a brand new car you just bought had a scratch on the paint? ...and in that case it would definitely not have anything to do with the function of the car, as opposed to this case with a camera.

I used to work for car dealers. I hate to tell you this, but just about every new car has had a scratch (or a lot more) either buffed out, or touched up. And -- this was expensive European luxury cars that got delivered in special trucks and whatnot.

That's OK, I won't buy those and anyway, I think it depends which country you are talking about and which dealer. Surly not everyone is the same...

This is being blown way out of proportion -- if you're worried about flare, take a black sharpie and make it black.

OK, if you think so, but let's agree about one thing that is that we disagree. I don't have the D600 and my D800 is free of any visible scratch but if it would have I would not hesitate to send it in and let Nikon fix it. Touch up paint or whatever, as long as it is done by them and documented by them so that the warranty is still valid.

 olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,075
Re: Nikon repair center

lock wrote:

has no idea about this issue. I'm the first one reporting it. They adviced me to take the retailer route so that, if neccessary, exchanging it for a new one would be possible.

I want to have it fixed. Either because I will continue to use the camera, or because I will sell it within a month or so. I cannot sell it knowing this damage exists.

That's the attitude I would have as well. Flare is one thing, but by having this damage the second hand value is lower as well and you can't really tell a buyer that the camera is in mint condition if you know it is scratched inside the mirror box.

 olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads