PhotoPlus Expo: GH3 and O-MD are the highlights

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions
Maverick_
Maverick_ Senior Member • Posts: 1,170
PhotoPlus Expo: GH3 and O-MD are the highlights

I spent a few hours on Thursday at the NY's PhotoPlus Expo.  I checked out the whole show and saw every booth more or less. The two cameras that popped for me where the Panasonic GH3 and the Olympus O-MD.

I went to this expo primarily to check out the GH3 and I took my GH1 with me.  My GH1, although works great and is in like-new condition, wouldn't mind a companion camera of better image quality.

Frankly, I simply dislike the image quality of the GH1.  I think it's just a notch better than a point of shoot.  In the past few months I have come to terms with it though, by relying even more on PP.  You can say, "How to learned to stop worrying and like the GH1+PP"

Here's a latest image from my GH1.

BMW K1300S shot with GH1 and 14-140 lens.

To my surprise the GH3 was only a bit larger than the GH1.  Putting them side by side the size difference was negligible.  Just playing with the GH3, I didn't get a sense that this was a camera that I want.  I mean, it's just a very unexciting camera.  And looks basically, more or less similar to my GH1.  However, I know the image quality is much better, and so is the overall video quality.  Both are good points. But looks like a relatively cheap camera, specially for $1300.  In comparison, pick up a Nikon 600D and that's a camera.  Amazing view finder, by the way.  Of course the Canon 5D III is right up there.

I took a few minutes comparing the screens and although both have 3" the OLED on the GH3 is generations better.  The EVF on the GH3 is miles better than my GH1, it is incredibly smooth, but I almost never use the view finder.  I am always either shooting below or above eye level.  I almost never shoot at eye level.

So, I left the booth somewhat disappointed, specially since the GH3 body only is at $1300.  Then I remembered that they didn't have a battery grip on display and I definitely wanted to try the GH3 with the grip.  So I went back and they let me use one from the behind counter. Sort of like to-show-on-demand only.  (That was so weird, since the purpose of these shows is to sell the public on new cameras, why hide such an important option.).

As soon as the grip went on the GH3, its feel and my overall impressions jumped quite a few notches.  The GH3 with the grip feels great.  It brings a pro feel to the camera that IMO is missing on the 2 and the 1.  Also the grip only adds about 1" or so to the height, it's not that much of a increase in size.  I would add a GH3 to the line up, just to get that awesome grip.  Of course, plus better image quality, amazing screens and faster frame rates.

Toward the end of my visit, I stopped by the Olympus and briefly played with a O-MD without the grip.  I found it just too small.  So, one of the guys behind the counter told me to go to another section where they have the O-MD with the grip.  To be honest I had been a bit uninformed about this camera.  As a GH1 user, I don't pay too much attention on what Oly is doing.

The O-MD was simply the highlight of my visit to the show.   What an accomplishment!  9 frames per second, great LCD, and equally good EVF.  The kit 12-50 is a marvel.  When on video mode the focus ring moves smooth and electronically, when in photo it moves normal. I spent about 20 minutes playing with it and chatting it up with the Oly guy and a couple of other attendees who had come to see this camera.

And it's priced right.  About $1300 with the kit lens.

I would get the O-MD, except for my use, I think the GH3 with the grip would be a better option. It's larger, feel more pro and I know it has better video and equally good stills.  But the O-MD should get the camera of the year award.

Cheers, S

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JL Salvignol
JL Salvignol Senior Member • Posts: 1,610
Re: PhotoPlus Expo: GH3 and O-MD are the highlights

Maverick, thank you for sharing your comments and questions.
M. Reichmann's initials remarks on GH3 are here (It's a WIP):
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/panasonic_gh3_field_review.shtml
 They may interest you.

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Pentax K-01 +16 more
Maverick_
OP Maverick_ Senior Member • Posts: 1,170

Hi, Thanks for the link and I did check it out.

By the way, I was re-reading my post above and noticed that I had done a poor of job of proof reading.  Sorry.

-- hide signature --
Bob Meyer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,375
about that 9 fps....

Since you said you're not very well informed about the OM-D, you might not no that it only AFs for the first frame at that awesome 9 fps burst rate, which limits it's effectiveness a bit.

-- hide signature --

I've stopped thinking in terms of "equivalent" focal lengths on m43. 25mm is what it is, and what it might be similar to on some other format doesn't matter to me any more. We need to learn what to expect from our current equipment, not keep mapping it to the old. No one refers to their 50mm FF lens as "equivalent to 80mm on MF."

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +6 more
Maverick_
Re: about that 9 fps....

Hi, Thanks, I was aware of that, but it is still very impressive that it can shoot at full resolution at 9FPS.

-- hide signature --
Savas Kyprianides Veteran Member • Posts: 3,619

Maverick_ wrote:

I spent a few hours on Thursday at the NY's PhotoPlus Expo. I checked out the whole show and saw every booth more or less. The two cameras that popped for me where the Panasonic GH3 and the Olympus O-MD.

I went to this expo primarily to check out the GH3 and I took my GH1 with me. My GH1, although works great and is in like-new condition, wouldn't mind a companion camera of better image quality.

Frankly, I simply dislike the image quality of the GH1. I think it's just a notch better than a point of shoot. In the past few months I have come to terms with it though, by relying even more on PP. You can say, "How to learned to stop worrying and like the GH1+PP"

Here's a latest image from my GH1.

BMW K1300S shot with GH1 and 14-140 lens.

To my surprise the GH3 was only a bit larger than the GH1. Putting them side by side the size difference was negligible. Just playing with the GH3, I didn't get a sense that this was a camera that I want. I mean, it's just a very unexciting camera. And looks basically, more or less similar to my GH1. However, I know the image quality is much better, and so is the overall video quality. Both are good points. But looks like a relatively cheap camera, specially for $1300. In comparison, pick up a Nikon 600D and that's a camera. Amazing view finder, by the way. Of course the Canon 5D III is right up there.

I took a few minutes comparing the screens and although both have 3" the OLED on the GH3 is generations better. The EVF on the GH3 is miles better than my GH1, it is incredibly smooth, but I almost never use the view finder. I am always either shooting below or above eye level. I almost never shoot at eye level.

So, I left the booth somewhat disappointed, specially since the GH3 body only is at $1300. Then I remembered that they didn't have a battery grip on display and I definitely wanted to try the GH3 with the grip. So I went back and they let me use one from the behind counter. Sort of like to-show-on-demand only. (That was so weird, since the purpose of these shows is to sell the public on new cameras, why hide such an important option.).

As soon as the grip went on the GH3, its feel and my overall impressions jumped quite a few notches. The GH3 with the grip feels great. It brings a pro feel to the camera that IMO is missing on the 2 and the 1. Also the grip only adds about 1" or so to the height, it's not that much of a increase in size. I would add a GH3 to the line up, just to get that awesome grip. Of course, plus better image quality, amazing screens and faster frame rates.

Toward the end of my visit, I stopped by the Olympus and briefly played with a O-MD without the grip. I found it just too small. So, one of the guys behind the counter told me to go to another section where they have the O-MD with the grip. To be honest I had been a bit uninformed about this camera. As a GH1 user, I don't pay too much attention on what Oly is doing.

The O-MD was simply the highlight of my visit to the show. What an accomplishment! 9 frames per second, great LCD, and equally good EVF. The kit 12-50 is a marvel. When on video mode the focus ring moves smooth and electronically, when in photo it moves normal. I spent about 20 minutes playing with it and chatting it up with the Oly guy and a couple of other attendees who had come to see this camera.

And it's priced right. About $1300 with the kit lens.

I would get the O-MD, except for my use, I think the GH3 with the grip would be a better option. It's larger, feel more pro and I know it has better video and equally good stills. But the O-MD should get the camera of the year award.

Cheers, S

-- hide signature --

I stumbled onto the O-MD at PhotoPlus Expo by accident, asking about Olympus cameras on behalf of a coworker. One of the salesman pointed me in it's direction and I was impressed with it. I'm starting to count how much I can reclaim by my DSLR and related gear sales; put it into this system, then bank the rest.

Mike Ronesia
Mike Ronesia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,034

Savas Kyprianides wrote:

I stumbled onto the O-MD at PhotoPlus Expo by accident, asking about Olympus cameras on behalf of a coworker. One of the salesman pointed me in it's direction and I was impressed with it. I'm starting to count how much I can reclaim by my DSLR and related gear sales; put it into this system, then bank the rest.

I think a lot of open minded people will see the benefits of the system and we will see more of this. I am still looked at funny by the canokon people where I live but the ones that take better pictures then me do so because of their skills and not the camera. It's a formidable system and getting stronger all the time.

I've been torn between the EM5 and GH3 and am leaning towards the GH3 but now part of me is hoping that Oly will introduce the pro-level OMD before the GH3 is available so I can get something even better when I upgrade.

-- hide signature --

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sigma sd Quattro +12 more
Maverick_
Panasonic booth really standoffish

I wasn't also looking to go the Oly section, but got pulled in and stayed there a while.  I also found the guys behind the counter at Panasonic a bit too standoffish. The guys at Oly were great.

Example 1: At Olympus I was allowed to put my own 14-140 lens on the OM-D, use my own memory card in the OM-D to test out the video and have my day with the camera basically.

Example 2: At Panasonic when I asked to look at the grip on the GH3, then acted like they were doing me a favor.  As if I am not worthy.  And the guy, Matt, couldn't wait to get the system back from me, even though I was there on Thursday and it wasn't that crowded and no one was waiting.  Also when I asked if I could try the 12-14 collapsible lens on my GH1, the girl behind the counter said don't walk away with it and I totally flat out told her that I was offended by that comment.

Note to Panasonic, If you read this:  The Photoplus Expo is by registration only, it's not a mall that anyone can just walk in.  If you are there to sell me on the GH3, tell your people to stop acting so unfriendly.  It will backfire on you.

-- hide signature --
Maverick_

Mike Ronesia wrote:

I think a lot of open minded people will see the benefits of the system and we will see more of this. I am still looked at funny by the canokon people where I live but the ones that take better pictures then me do so because of their skills and not the camera. It's a formidable system and getting stronger all the time.

I've been torn between the EM5 and GH3 and am leaning towards the GH3 but now part of me is hoping that Oly will introduce the pro-level OMD before the GH3 is available so I can get something even better when I upgrade.

-- hide signature --

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

The OM-D system is truly amazing, but frankly it is a bit too small.  However, working with it, the camera functions great and in hand doesn't actually feel smallish, but I can tell how DSLR users would look down on it. 

-- hide signature --
StevenN Senior Member • Posts: 1,223
Re: Panasonic booth really standoffish -- I agree!

Savas,

I had the same experience at the Panasonic booth as you did (see my post on this forum). You would think Panasonic would be eager to have potential purchasers check out their new cameras. The representative who I was waiting to talk to wouldn't even give me the time of day. And, yes, people over at the Olympus booth were very friendly.

-- hide signature --

StevenN

StevenN's gear list:StevenN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Fujifilm X-A1 Nikon D750 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +10 more
Maverick_
Re: Panasonic booth really standoffish -- I agree!

StevenN wrote:

Savas,

I had the same experience at the Panasonic booth as you did (see my post on this forum). You would think Panasonic would be eager to have potential purchasers check out their new cameras. The representative who I was waiting to talk to wouldn't even give me the time of day. And, yes, people over at the Olympus booth were very friendly.

-- hide signature --

StevenN

I thought that was really weird.  When you make people feel like you are doing them a favor, you are doing great disservice to the brand.  I think the guy that was snubbing me his name was Matt.

-- hide signature --
Maverick_

On your note above.  I played around with the Canon 1DX and although it's extremely impressive and I have been attracted to it in the past, the weight alone dissuaded me from wanting it anymore.  We have come a long way since we needed very large and extremely heavy cameras to use to get great quality shots.

-- hide signature --
pdelux Contributing Member • Posts: 696

I liked your unbiased review, both great cameras, aimed at different users and desires.

The 5 Axis makes the OMD legendary. Olympus would do well to export it to all their cameras.

pdelux's gear list:pdelux's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
Maverick_

pdelux wrote:

I liked your unbiased review, both great cameras, aimed at different users and desires.

The 5 Axis makes the OMD legendary. Olympus would do well to export it to all their cameras.

Hi, Thanks.  Yes, the OM-D has a stabilized sensor too.  overall a real nice piece of equipment.

-- hide signature --
Ulfric M Douglas Veteran Member • Posts: 4,775

Good mini-review, I like to see your unique perspective.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads