SX50 - pulled the trigger today

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions
VisionLight
VisionLight Veteran Member • Posts: 4,589
SX50 - pulled the trigger today

I know some of you are going to say you knew I would. Guilty as charged. All the great information all the early adopters around here have supplied over the last couple of weeks really kept my interest up. Much thanks to all. Getting a chance to play with one for an hour earlier this week (even though in the rain), which introduced me to the faster autofocus, shorter shutter lag, new second zoom assist button and of course longer optical zoom really impressed me. Really love that assist button. But what sealed the final deal? Actually, an e-mail I received this morning with a 20% in store coupon from Staples on any one item. Called them up, took a ride, and bought my new SX50 for $383.99. Just could no longer resist.

So I think my wife is going to be happy, since she occassionally eyes my SX40 (she carries her SX230 that sometimes is just not long enough for her.) But before I hand it over, I'll have to do some comparisons between the two big zooms. Should be fun. That's of course if we ever see the sun anytime soon. It's been a week or so and with the big storm on its way, don't know when I'll be able to get to it. Stay tuned.

But in the meantime, the SX40 has been a wonderful companion on my late afternoon walks at the preserve this fall. So here's a collection in its honor, starting with a stitched five image panorama of Swan Lake:

Swan Lake at Rockefeller Preserve

Now for various flora, fauna, landscapes and details, using focal lenghts from 40mm to 3360mm (full frame equiv) to show the beauty of the Lower Hudson Valley in the fall.

Five minutes before the rain.

Hope you enjoyed this tribute to the SX40. Obviously I really enjoy this camera. My new SX50 has a lot to live up to.

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome.

Vision

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8 Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +5 more
MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,729
Re: SX50 - pulled the trigger today

I like the reed shot (before the Heron).  Simple, elegant, beautiful colours and bokeh.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Canon EOS M100 +1 more
VisionLight
OP VisionLight Veteran Member • Posts: 4,589

MarioV wrote:

I like the reed shot (before the Heron). Simple, elegant, beautiful colours and bokeh.

Thanks for your thoughts, Mario. One of the wonderful qualities of a long lens is the ability to segregate a single element in time and space in order to bring out its own personality. This camera makes it easy and I look forward to finding new elements with the SX50.

Vision

Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8 Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +5 more
cnli Junior Member • Posts: 46

To Vision,

Congratulation!  No doubt I'll do the same with that price.  Here is selling around $500 though packaged with camera case, SD card, LCD protector, or even tripod (not factory made you could imagine).  Hope you get a good result from the comparison cause it means the new cam could  give me two big steps forward from my SX30!

I like the fungus most.  I never done a panorama and your is great.  I wish I could live in that beautiful and peaceful environment when retired!  

cn

cnli's gear list:cnli's gear list
PowerShot SX700
VisionLight

cnli wrote:

To Vision,

Congratulation! No doubt I'll do the same with that price. Here is selling around $500 though packaged with camera case, SD card, LCD protector, or even tripod (not factory made you could imagine). Hope you get a good result from the comparison cause it means the new cam could give me two big steps forward from my SX30!

I like the fungus most. I never done a panorama and your is great. I wish I could live in that beautiful and peaceful environment when retired!

cn

Thanks for your comments, cn. Hope you can find a good deal on the camera, especially with the holidays fast approaching us.

The fungus image was a surprise I found peering through the trees with the lens set to 1260mm (1.5TC). Some hikers passing by thought I had found a bird in a nearer tree. Besides the color and lighting on the fungus, I was intrigued by the way the growth on the farther away tree on the right parodied the fungus. The "Y" shaped branch in the middle then connected them in the composition. An image built on serendipity.

The panorama was only my second try with the camera, which makes it so easy, and I was happy with the outcome. The coutryside itself gives wonderful opportunities for such images and I am blessed to be able to walk its paths and trails. I also get to meet many interesting people and photographers and we share and enjoy each others' work and company. Even run into David Rockefeller from time to time. At 97 years old, he still likes getting around in his horse drawn carriage and greeting people visiting his "back yard" with his cheerful hello and gregarious smile.

Thanks again,

Vision

ijustloveshooting
ijustloveshooting Senior Member • Posts: 2,997
i pulled that trigger too :)

your photos look great,, i really liked bokeh of this cam,,,,i can't wait to get mine....

ijustloveshooting's gear list:ijustloveshooting's gear list
Fujifilm X-A1 Sony Alpha a7 II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +10 more
VisionLight
Re: i pulled that trigger too :)

ijustloveshooting wrote:

your photos look great,, i really liked bokeh of this cam,,,,i can't wait to get mine....

Thanks for the comment. The versatility of the SX40 really helped create these images. Heard the sun may try to peek out from the still heavy cloud cover today. So I may get a chance to try out my new SX50 today in something other than rainy weather.

Monicakm
Monicakm Senior Member • Posts: 2,352

VisionLight wrote:

ijustloveshooting wrote:

Thanks for the comment. The versatility of the SX40 really helped create these images. Heard the sun may try to peek out from the still heavy cloud cover today. So I may get a chance to try out my new SX50 today in something other than rainy weather.

VisionLight, is the 20% good for anyone or is it specific to you?  I went to the Staples website last night and they don't even have the SX50 llisted.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Monica/Canon S3

VisionLight

Monicakm wrote:

VisionLight, is the 20% good for anyone or is it specific to you? I went to the Staples website last night and they don't even have the SX50 llisted.

I'm a Staples Reward member and the weekly coupons are available to anyone on their e-mail list (though I don't think you have to be a member to use it). This limited time one must be printed out and used in store only on a single item. When I called the store, the manager checked to see if it was in their online store and, like you mentioned, it was not. But I asked him to check the store room. He said OK and when he came back on the phone he said they had one unit in stock. An hour later, that unit was mine with a $96 discount. Actually, I was going to use the 15% coupon I had from a previous e-mail that expired the day before. But my car was in the shop and my wife had my other car. Lucikly the 48 hr 20% coupon arrived yesterday morning, so I was almost happy about the car. Almost, because the car bill was a lot more than $96    .

Monicakm

Thanks.  I made two calls to Staples.com and no one could send me a coupon.  They come from the marketing dept and they're closed today.  But, my local (120 mile round trip) Staples doesn't have it anyway so I'm not quite so bummed   And I know, the savings is greatly reduced by the 120 mile round trip but I love driving my car so that wasn't a negative to me

-- hide signature --

Monica/Canon S3

DanManTX New Member • Posts: 6
Staples 20% Coupon

In case anyone wants to try Staples in the next three hours, here's the 20% off coupon.

This coupon expires at 9PM local time tonight - 10/27.

http://www.fatwallet.com/static/attachments/217810_staplesextra20_offanyoneitemexp10_27_2012.pdf

VisionLight
Re: Staples 20% Coupon

DanManTX wrote:

In case anyone wants to try Staples in the next three hours, here's the 20% off coupon.

This coupon expires at 9PM local time tonight - 10/27.

http://www.fatwallet.com/static/attachments/217810_staplesextra20_offanyoneitemexp10_27_2012.pdf

Nice find, DanMan. Didn't know about this site.

Hope someone else gets to use it at their local Staples and gets the same great deal I did. Time's a tickin'.

Monicakm
Re: Staples 20% Coupon

Arrrrrrrrgh!  There are 8 Staples in the Dallas area.  The one closest to me didn't have the camera but I'm sure one of the stores did.  Can't make 70 miles in 21 minutes

-- hide signature --

Monica/Canon S3

Susan Taylor
Susan Taylor Regular Member • Posts: 238

Beautiful photos!  I, too, ordered a SX50 today but have never had a bridge camera by Canon so this will be a new experience for me testing it.  I do have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 that I got a little over a year ago and which has performed well.  But I kept reading so many things on here about the SX40 and now the SX50 that I decided why not try it?  (I also have a Sony Alpha A57 DSLR but there are lots of times I prefer using a bridge camera with the zoom lens rather than the DSLR and attachments.)  Thanks for sharing the photos.  By the way, the one of the lake with the trees in their fall colors reminds me of photos I took with the Sony this week at Radnor Lake in the Nashville area:-)

VisionLight

Susan Taylor wrote:

Beautiful photos! I, too, ordered a SX50 today but have never had a bridge camera by Canon so this will be a new experience for me testing it. I do have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 that I got a little over a year ago and which has performed well. But I kept reading so many things on here about the SX40 and now the SX50 that I decided why not try it? (I also have a Sony Alpha A57 DSLR but there are lots of times I prefer using a bridge camera with the zoom lens rather than the DSLR and attachments.) Thanks for sharing the photos. By the way, the one of the lake with the trees in their fall colors reminds me of photos I took with the Sony this week at Radnor Lake in the Nashville area:-)

Thanks for the comment, Susan. Other then the great deal, it was also all the detailed discussion in this forum that convinced me to get the camera. I'd much rather hear the real world opinions of the people around here then read a "labratory" review. Now if I could just get a chance to put mine through its paces. Still haven't seen any sun and with the storm approaching don't expect any soon. So I have just spent some time adjusting all the settings based on the information written by the people here and shown in the EXIFs of their images. That'll probably be a good starting point.

Have you posted any of your fall pictures anywhere? I enjoy seeing people's interpretation of this colorful season in images.

Vision

topshot61
topshot61 Forum Member • Posts: 66
Re: SX50 - pulled the trigger today- lucky

it is good that you got the discount!, and best luck.

The pics from the Sx 40 are very nice!

topshot61's gear list:topshot61's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50
MOD Dale Buhanan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,277

Hi Vision,

Those are terrific pictures that you have posted from your SX40.  Just wonderful!

That being said, I still 'told you so', that you would be tempted and ultimately get an SX50.  It is just a way to broaden your horizons and lengthen your reach and get amazing pics that you haven't attempted before.  I look forward to seeing your accumulated SX50 potpourri when it is time for the new SX60.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 +35 more
Derek Oregon Contributing Member • Posts: 520

D@mn. A day late but not a dollar short.

VisionLight
Re: SX50 - pulled the trigger today- lucky

topshot61 wrote:

it is good that you got the discount!, and best luck.

The pics from the Sx 40 are very nice!

Thanks for the comment about my pictures. Took a look at your site and saw some very nice images as well. I particullarly like the oldest one, the Ambaji early morning panorama. The couple embracing in the window at Jodhpur Fort also caught my interest. I've never been to India, but it looks like a land with great photographic opportunity.

VisionLight

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Hi Vision,

Those are terrific pictures that you have posted from your SX40. Just wonderful!

That being said, I still 'told you so', that you would be tempted and ultimately get an SX50. It is just a way to broaden your horizons and lengthen your reach and get amazing pics that you haven't attempted before. I look forward to seeing your accumulated SX50 potpourri when it is time for the new SX60.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Hey Dale,

I was waiting for you to remind me. You knew.    And right now my wife has my (eh, her) SX40 around her neck, getting a feel for it. It has served me well. Thanks for the comment about the pictures. Now the SX50 will get its chance to live up to its older sibling's capabilities. Now if I can just get a chance to use it. Haven't had any sunshine for days and none is expected for at least 4 to five more days due to Sandy. I want to play with my new toy. 

Vision

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads