Which one is the least discussed 4/3 (AF) lens ?

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions
goblin
goblin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,496
Which one is the least discussed 4/3 (AF) lens ?

Just a little brain teaser for everyone. I've seen a lot of lenses discussed here throughout the years, but there are quite a few I've never seen mentioned.

So give your two cents:

1) What is (are) the 4/3 lens(es) which YOU have NEVER seen discussed/mentioned here ? (like - if it has been mentioned - you missed it).

2) What is (are) the 4/3 lens(es) which you think has(have) gotten the least attention ?

3) What is (are) the ZUIKO 4/3 lens(es) which you think has(have) gotten the least attention ?

4) Which 4/3 lens do you think should have deserved more attention ? Why ?

5) Which one did you want to see released, but never saw it happen ?

6) What is your white whale ? Which one would you like to see forgotten at $99 in that dark pawn shop around the corner ?

Note: SHG lenses need no apply here. It's well known we all dream of them, so let's agree that we want all of them more than anything else, and keep it more exotic with what's left).

Note 2: All 4/3 lenses count, those in production as well as those no longer in production

Note 3: AF lenses only, or at least - lenses with a dedicated exif chip from the factory.

To start, here's my take:

1) Sigma 300-800mm.

2) Sigma 18-125mm, Sigma 18-50mm 3.5-5.6, Sigma 55-200mm.

3) Zuiko 8mm Fisheye

4) Somehow I think the Sigma 10-20mm slipped through the cracks. Yes, 9-18mm is there, but still.

5) Olympus: A 400mm 4.5 or 5.6.; 80mm. Sigma: would have loved to see the 8-16mm in 4/3 mount.

6) The Sigma 300-800mm, indeed.

Your turn

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro +73 more
rednefed Contributing Member • Posts: 828
Re: Which one is the least discussed 4/3 (AF) lens ?

goblin wrote:

Just a little brain teaser for everyone. I've seen a lot of lenses discussed here throughout the years, but there are quite a few I've never seen mentioned.

So give your two cents:

1) What is (are) the 4/3 lens(es) which YOU have NEVER seen discussed/mentioned here ? (like - if it has been mentioned - you missed it).

Definitely the kit-grade Sigma zooms. 18-50 (non-EX), 55-200, etc.

2) What is (are) the 4/3 lens(es) which you think has(have) gotten the least attention ?

"Sigmonster" 300-800

3) What is (are) the ZUIKO 4/3 lens(es) which you think has(have) gotten the least attention ?

Outside of the SHG's, I'd say the 9-18mm. Sure, it was the newest Zuiko, but it punches above its weight. A pity about the slow aperture and non weather sealing, though.

Let me be honest. I'll have to break the rule and say the 90-250 SHG. Every thread that comes up about the SHG superteles basically says, "use the ZD 300 for pure optical bliss." However, the flexibility given by the ability to zoom - from 180mm all the way out to 500mm - shouldn't be glossed over. It's not like the 90-250 wasn't sharp, either. It's basically the most unique lens 4/3 shooters had. No other system had a 200-500mm equiv. that was this good. On APS-c, maybe the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 (which actually isn't bad, but not SHG level of course).

Among non-Zuikos, definitely the Sigma 24mm f/1.8. Assuming you got one that didn't front focus or back focus, it was the only game in town for a while. Great close focus ability and a unique "look" (bokeh, sharpness profile, etc.) made it a fun lens to play around with. I'm tempted to break it out over the weekend instead of the m4/3 Panny 25mm f/1.4.

A fast Zuiko 17.5mm or 24mm SWD lens. The pancake's cute and sharp, but only f/2.8. I wasn't going to get angry about never seeing the 100mm macro, because Sigma's entries are already quite good enough.

Sigma: their very good bang-for-the-buck 300mm f/2.8. I've got the older variant, non-DG, on my D3s, and it delivers. Or the 10-20mm f/3.5 -- I'd value the extra wideness over the 11-22's half-stop.

Wouldn't have minded a re-hash of the 7-14mm with SWD. Maybe with some optical tweaks to make it f/3.5 constant (it's brighter than f/4 natively).

6) What is your white whale ? Which one would you like to see forgotten at $99 in that dark pawn shop around the corner ?

Now that I'm on E-M5, I'd rather see the 75mm in that pawn shop corner, but ehhh... the 90-250 (SHG) or 14-150 (non-SHG; who remembered *this* lens?!).

Note: SHG lenses need no apply here. It's well known we all dream of them, so let's agree that we want all of them more than anything else, and keep it more exotic with what's left).

Note 2: All 4/3 lenses count, those in production as well as those no longer in production

Note 3: AF lenses only, or at least - lenses with a dedicated exif chip from the factory.

1) Sigma 300-800mm.

3) Zuiko 8mm Fisheye

4) Somehow I think the Sigma 10-20mm slipped through the cracks. Yes, 9-18mm is there, but still.

5) Olympus: A 400mm 4.5 or 5.6.; 80mm. Sigma: would have loved to see the 8-16mm in 4/3 mount.

Your turn

rednefed's gear list:rednefed's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D810 Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +6 more
dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,183
The least discussed 4/3 (AF) lens

goblin wrote:

So give your two cents:

Good question.

1) The Panasonic 14-50 mm f/2.8-3.5 (right f-stops?). I hear it's a good lens but know little about it.

2 & 3) Olympus 11-22 mm f/2.8-3.5 - What a great lens that hardly gets much of any mention. Surely it beats the 9-18 in IQ and value and does things you can't do with the 7-14 or 8 mm FE, like add filters. The Olympus SG 35 mm f/3.5 macro lens is an exceptional lens that gets little mention.

4) Sorry, I have to side with the SHG lenses here. I want to know more about why I should buy them. The 7-14 and 8 mm FE should be disgussed more so people learn how to use these extreme lenses without introducing uneccassary distorion. I'd like to hear more about the 90-250 mm f/2.8. How is this so much better than the 50-200 mm lens? I know this question was raised very recently and it was helpful.

5) I used to long for the 100 mm f/2 macro that was once on the lens road map, but I eventually decided the 50 mm + EC-14 is plenty long and I didn't need a longer macro lens. But if the 100 mm was 1:1 then maybe... I'd like to see a long tele such as a 250 mm or 350 mm f/4 that's affordable and light weight. The 350/4 might still be a big lens?

6) Sigma 30 mm and 24 mm. With the far better Panasonic 25 mm f/1.4 available, there's little reason to discuss lenses with inconsistent IQ. Oh yea, the Sigma 300-800 mm monster. Who needs 1600 mm EFL in a 50 lb lens?

-- hide signature --

Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
WhyNot
WhyNot Veteran Member • Posts: 7,413

Interesting idea...........   I don't know about 1,2,3,4,or 6 but 5 is surely the 100mm macro that Olympus announced, at least, twice !!!! ..........  and never delivered.

TrapperJohn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,488
One I would love to know more about...

is the Sigma 150 F2.8 Macro.

Saw one pop up for sale used last year, it was the first I had heard of it in a 4/3 mount. It sold quickly, and I haven't seen one for sale since, at least not on the used market.

Is it really a cost effective substitute for the ZD 150F2? Worth getting if another one turns up? Inquiring minds want to know...

Never had much interest in the short focal length Sigmas, as we have the trimvurate of 7-14, 8FE, and 9-18, all are as good as you can get in that focal length and price range.

gfraser7
gfraser7 Regular Member • Posts: 414
Re: The least discussed 4/3 (AF) lens

Just wondering why your post garnered, at this time, four negative votes?  The system is gay, not that there's anything wrong with being gay, right boys?

-- hide signature --

"Convictions are the enemies of truth..."

dave gaines
Re: Funny thing

Yes, why would anyone give a negative vote on a subjective response to an opinion survey. There's obviously no right or wrong answer, just opinions.

Funny thing, at least one thumb down is from the OP, who has taken an offensive & verbally abusive tone with me several times recently.

I'm also getting flack from people I've reminded that Oly DSLR Talk is not the forum to try to convince us all to switch from our much-loved Olympus DSLR and come over to the Dark Side by adopting m4/3. Fanboy posts about Canikon are not welcome here for the same reason. It's my badge of courage for trying to maintain a friendly environment for Olympus DSLR Talk. See the over-reactions posted in the "Strange Voting Behaviour" thread.

Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
gfraser7
gfraser7 Regular Member • Posts: 414

Six is an awful amount of answers. Sorry. 

But, a 300mm f4, or the like, would be nice.

-- hide signature --

"Convictions are the enemies of truth..."

Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875

goblin wrote:

So give your two cents:

Your turn

1) I was thinking the Oly 17-45, but I have seen that mentioned once or twice... so I'll go w the Sigma 70-200/2.8 don't think I've ever see that mentioned on the forum.

2) the above lens plus the Sigma 135-400

3) 17-45, 14-45... and maybe the most exotic, the 90-250... because so few actually have it?

4) Hmm, maybe those two Sigmas? Maybe the 14-42?

5)  Zuiko 100mm macro, 400mm f4 or 5.6

6) My 12-60mm.  Not just because it was my favorite lens, but it might help track down the b*stard that stole it, or help recover my OM-4.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +2 more
R2elk
R2elk Senior Member • Posts: 1,188
Re: One I would love to know more about...

TrapperJohn wrote:

is the Sigma 150 F2.8 Macro.

Saw one pop up for sale used last year, it was the first I had heard of it in a 4/3 mount. It sold quickly, and I haven't seen one for sale since, at least not on the used market.

Is it really a cost effective substitute for the ZD 150F2? Worth getting if another one turns up? Inquiring minds want to know...

IMO The Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro is not a substitute for the ZD 150mm f/2.  The Sigma is what it is and that is an excellent macro lens.  Even with the focus limiter it is a slow focusing lens.

-- hide signature --

Comments and critiques always welcome.
Bob K.

CollBaxter
CollBaxter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,724

The sigma 300-800 ( Its out of most peoples reach) and The Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 ( It was considered rubbish ) to most Olympus users in the old days. ( Now after looking at some of the Olympus offerings it was a fine bit of glass. )

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-5 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-500 +15 more
CollBaxter
CollBaxter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,724
Re: One I would love to know more about...

I can still kick myself about the Sigma 150. I did a sort of "She loves me" , " She loves me not" between that and the 105.  I bought the 105 as it was a bit cheaper. The Sigma 150 is a big lens but it has a tripod mount and is an internal focusing lens ( So it does not grow on you) with a swd type motor , slowish but quite.

Cynops did some wonderful macros with this lens.

The 105 is a nice lens but I still wonder about the 150.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-5 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-500 +15 more
Braxton7
Braxton7 Contributing Member • Posts: 882

I don't see the 18–180 1:3.5-6.3 discussed much. If it is it's usually pretty negative. I wonder though because that is a pretty cool range.

Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +7 more
jev2000 Junior Member • Posts: 45

Braxton7 wrote:

I don't see the 18–180 1:3.5-6.3 discussed much. If it is it's usually pretty negative. I wonder though because that is a pretty cool range.

The 18-180 is little discussed and much criticized when it is. I personally liked that lens and got a load of perfectly good pictures from it.

The Sigma 70-200 is another good one that gets negative comments, mostly from people who haven't actually used one.

Best lens in my stable is the 12-60.

faith_ps
faith_ps Senior Member • Posts: 1,102
Re: The least discussed 4/3 (AF) lens

dave gaines wrote:

goblin wrote:

So give your two cents:

Good question.

1) The Panasonic 14-50 mm f/2.8-3.5 (right f-stops?). I hear it's a good lens but know little about it.

2 & 3) Olympus 11-22 mm f/2.8-3.5 - What a great lens that hardly gets much of any mention. Surely it beats the 9-18 in IQ and value and does things you can't do with the 7-14 or 8 mm FE, like add filters. The Olympus SG 35 mm f/3.5 macro lens is an exceptional lens that gets little mention.

4) Sorry, I have to side with the SHG lenses here. I want to know more about why I should buy them. The 7-14 and 8 mm FE should be disgussed more so people learn how to use these extreme lenses without introducing uneccassary distorion. I'd like to hear more about the 90-250 mm f/2.8. How is this so much better than the 50-200 mm lens? I know this question was raised very recently and it was helpful.

5) I used to long for the 100 mm f/2 macro that was once on the lens road map, but I eventually decided the 50 mm + EC-14 is plenty long and I didn't need a longer macro lens. But if the 100 mm was 1:1 then maybe... I'd like to see a long tele such as a 250 mm or 350 mm f/4 that's affordable and light weight. The 350/4 might still be a big lens?

6) Sigma 30 mm and 24 mm. With the far better Panasonic 25 mm f/1.4 available, there's little reason to discuss lenses with inconsistent IQ. Oh yea, the Sigma 300-800 mm monster. Who needs 1600 mm EFL in a 50 lb lens?

Hi Dave,

A bit strange that this has 5 thumbs down. Your writings is very informative.

Jakop

-- hide signature --

The saxophone is a very interesting machine, but I'm more interested in music.
Steve Lacy quotes

faith_ps's gear list:faith_ps's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus Stylus 1 Leica X Vario Olympus E-5 +17 more
faith_ps
faith_ps Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

goblin wrote:

So give your two cents:

Oly 18-180mm is rare for discussion. Oly 25mm pancake. Oly 35mm macro.

Remember the Oly kit 17.5-45mm. And odd lens. I havent got the chance to even touch it.

Remember the Oly kit 17.5-45mm. And odd lens. I havent got the chance to even smell it.

Its the ZD40-150mm f3.5-150mm 1st gen with bigger body size. Very high quality lens. Has a lens hood.

100mm macro.

Don't know.

Jakop

-- hide signature --

The saxophone is a very interesting machine, but I'm more interested in music.
Steve Lacy quotes

faith_ps's gear list:faith_ps's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus Stylus 1 Leica X Vario Olympus E-5 +17 more
Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,310

I use that lens and have found it to produce pictures of good quality, provided the shooter is on his or her game with it.  I for one am glad that I have it.

-- hide signature --

E-5 and E-620
7-14, 9-18, 11-22, 12-60, 14-42, 14-45, 17.5-45, 18-180, 35, 40-150, 50, 50-200, 70-300

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus PEN E-P5 +10 more
Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,310

goblin wrote:

So give your two cents:

The ZD 17.5-45, ZD 18-180 and 35 macro seem to seldom come up for discussion.

I seldom see discussions on the ZD 150 or the ones mentioned above.

Same as above, but them I seem to focus on the Zuiko lenses personally. I don't see much discussion on the 8 mm fisheye either.

Several of the lenses produced by Sigma and other 3rd party lens makers. They can offer a unique perspective, and many of the shots shared are very nice indeed. As for the Zuiko line, most of the SG series, as those are the staple for many with the 4/3 system.

I had not heard about the 100 mm macro, but that would be something to see and use.

Only the ones where I really blew the shot, but then maybe I should be in the dark pawn shop around the corner, but $99 might be too high an asking price.

I just purchased my first SHG lens, the 7-14, and welcome any and all insight and experience into that or any of the SHG lenses.

1) Sigma 300-800mm.

3) Zuiko 8mm Fisheye

Your turn

Roger.

-- hide signature --

E-5 and E-620
7-14, 9-18, 11-22, 12-60, 14-42, 14-45, 17.5-45, 18-180, 35, 40-150, 50, 50-200, 70-300

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus PEN E-P5 +10 more
dave gaines
I noticed that too

faith_ps wrote:

Hi Dave,

A bit strange that this has 5 thumbs down. Your writings is very informative.

Jakop

Yes, why would anyone give a negative vote on a subjective response to an opinion survey? There's obviously no right or wrong answer, just opinions.

Funny thing, at least one thumb down is from the OP, who has taken an offensive & verbally abusive tone with me several times recently.

-- hide signature --

Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

goblin
OP goblin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,496
Re: I noticed that too

dave gaines wrote:

Nope. Try again.

I value your input in this thread just as much as I believe your position on the topics we discussed in the other thread was narrow minded, lacking any solid logic and based on personal subjective discontent rather than calm thought. An opinion which I made clear and which I stand by. I don't need anonymous childish instuments to play with in unrelated threads to make a point.

If you really care and wonder about thumbs down votes - you might want to look in the direction of people who value Trevor's position in the other thread.

While I've been in this forum for years, I don't write that often. I'm not that much known. Thus, when you and your pals ganged around me in the other threads in the previous days, no one noticed.

Thinking that the same will work in Trevor's thread might have come to bite you in the ar$e this time. Maybe the lack of reaction in the other threads left you with the illusion that everybody shares your extreme views on the matter discussed. Too bad that was not the case.

In any event - that was a different topic, and my position on it is clear. As I said, I value your input in this one and thank you for it. Long story short - you might want to reconsider the presumption that you're always right.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro +73 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads