Said Good Bye to my Canon 5D MK II today.

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions
Simon88 New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Said Good Bye to my Canon 5D MK II today.

Waiting for delivery of my em5. Thinking about moving on from the D7000, it's not that there's anything wrong with the Nikon apart from size, weight and massive expense if I want to take it diving. I'm hoping the Olympus will be up to the task of photography on land and under the waves. I can get the camera, all of the lenses I want and the underwater housing etc for what my Nikon kits worth second hand!

Simon88's gear list:Simon88's gear list
Nikon D7000
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,567
How to SELL stuff in Japan? Craigslist, Ebay???

Chris, I'm curious how you sell your gear in JAPAN.

In USA, I sell all my gear via Craigslist first, then eBAY.

In Taiwan, craigslist is practically useless as is eBAY.

How do you sell your stuff in JAPAN???

daddyo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,670
Trapper...

I have both, the ZD 8mm fisheye and the Samyang (actually mine is the Bower labeled version). I would have to say that I honestly can't see any greater sharpness with the ZD over the Samyang -- and the Samyang is very, very small and lightweight compared to the ZD.

I have not taken the time (and probably won't) to do duplicate shots to compare corner 100% crops, but the Samyang is amazingly sharp considering its price. I bought my Bower used, in mint condition for $235 and it was a huge bargain in my opinion.

The biggest advantage to the ZD 8mm is when shooting very, very close up the AF is fairly quick and accurate, whereas the Samyang takes a bit more time to get critical focus manually -- but at anything over a five feet away, infinity focus will nail it.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
g_r_w Regular Member • Posts: 385
Sweet - if you're in Osaka you should be able to get the 35-100

Yodobashis in Tokyo released them yesterday (26th) and if you have a foreign passport you can get them GST free (as I did).

I've done exactly the same think as you - sold all my Canon FF gear and moved to FF (2 years now), but the lack of fast zooms was always frustrating.

The 35-100 feels great, although I haven't had the chance to take any real photos yet, today was a landscape day in Hakone.

12-35 sits on my E-M5 mostly.

MatsP
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 2,307

Seems like many people do... I myself traded a 40D with 5 lenses or so from UWA to tele for an OMD with 12-50. So far I have also got a 40-150 and a Sigma 19/2,8, both to very good prices. As a former film slr user, among them Pen FT and OM-G, I recall the feeling from them when grabbing the OM-D. It's nice. And OMD has an excellent ability to produce pictures with high IQ, by the right photographer (which I not necessarily am myself). 40D is a very good camera, one of Canons best, maybe the best APS of that brand, but OMD is better, to my eyes anyway. But I'm not sure it betters a 5DII. Maybe close, but not better. But size and weight is also important.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
OP Chris_in_Osaka Veteran Member • Posts: 3,799

Brian Wadie wrote:

(Isn't it a nice return on the canon gear when you sell it too

Yes! I sold it back to the camera shop I always buy my gear from here in Osaka. They are always very fair. Got ¥165,000, or a little over $2,000. I'm not sure if I could have made much more selling it privately, but considering I don't have the hassle of doing that and got cash in hand, I'm happy.

Chris_in_Osaka's gear list:Chris_in_Osaka's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Re: Go for the Samyang Fisheye.

faith_ps wrote:

Its a fantastic toy. In fact I'm thinking also of the Samyang 85mm.

Jakop[

-- hide signature --

The saxophone is a very interesting machine, but I'm more interested in music.
Steve Lacy quotes

I'm leaning that way. I miss not having a fisheye lens. I tried the Olympus attachment for the 14-42mm, but was not happy.

Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ

goshigoo wrote:

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:

I've owned the Canon 5D Mark II since around the time the (disappointing) Olympus E-5 was released, a camera that prompted me to sell off all my 4/3's gear, stick with micro 4/3's for portability, and go full frame for my main camera.

Then came the O-MD and renewed faith in Olympus. I hadn't touched the 5D Mark II since I got my hands on the OM-D on morning of the release day in Japan. Over the months I've slowly sold off my FF gear (50mm f1.4, 100mm f2, 70-200mm f4, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8 etc.) until all that remained was the body, 24-105mm kit lens, and flash...all sitting unused and depreciating in value.

I toyed with the idea of getting rid of the 24-105 and picking up the 50mm f1.2 but in the end, the OM-D beat out the Canon in just about every way except, most obviously, the potential for more shallow DOF ( a crutch for many photographers if you ask me).
So, as of today, I am a m4/3's user only. And I've got a bit of cash in my pocket. Let's see....75mm f1.8? 12mm f2? 60mm f2.8? Maybe the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye?

May I know if the Bokeh/DoF is good enough on your OMD, comparing with your 5D2 + 50mm f1.4 / 100mm f2?

I think the main advantage for FF is shallow DoF

The Canon could give you shallower depth of field BUT there are also issues with that. First, with shallower depth of field the chances of missing a shot increase. There were many situations with the 100mm where I would shoot with the focus points locked on the subject's eye, only to check later and see that the focus was off. Second, wide open can also be sharp. The canon 50mm at f1.4 can be quite soft. I often found myself shooting at f2 or above, which defeats the purpose  of full frame, and it loses it's advantage over the 25mm f1.4.

Re: A brave choice

alatchin wrote:

, I just want a smaller AF box in the "pro" camera.

1/8000 shutter would be nice too.

Re: zd 8FE?

Of all the 4/3's lenses I owned ( close to 20 or so since the E-1) the one 2 I miss the most are the 8mm and the 50-200mm.

Of those two, the only one I wish I still had is the 8mm.

I have considered buying it back, but it is a bit chunky.

I tried the Olympus fish eye adapter but was not satisfied and got Eric of it. I've considered the Panasonic but I'm concerned about the need for in camera software correction. That leaves the samyang. No autofocus, but small and cheap.

Daddyo, thanks for that info (nt)
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 40,847
Yep.

SLOtographer wrote:

Congrats! I like having both FF and m43, but can see the allure of sticking with m43. The EM5 appears to be a landmark camera. It has raised the bar to the point, with good glass, that it meets a wide range of photographic needs.

Well if I had cash, and EM5, I'd be tempted to go with one of the magnificent 7 lineups.

Plan 1: 12/2, 17/1.8, 25/1.4, 45/1.8, 75/1.8, and 150/2.8 plus a macro, flash, batt grip.

Or Plan 2: 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300, two bright primes, macro, flash, batt grip.

That echoes my thoughts exactly, as I'm kinda in Chris' situation right now, and am debating which way I'll go.  Have to say that Plan 1 greatly appeals to me (I shoot all primes on FF), but feel that Plan 2 would be the better choice for most.

Question for Chris:  if the 5D3 had the D800 sensor (or even the D600 sensor), which way would you have gone?

Simon88 wrote:

Waiting for delivery of my em5. Thinking about moving on from the D7000, it's not that there's anything wrong with the Nikon apart from size, weight and massive expense if I want to take it diving. I'm hoping the Olympus will be up to the task of photography on land and under the waves. I can get the camera, all of the lenses I want and the underwater housing etc for what my Nikon kits worth second hand!

I think that once you've figured out the e-m5 and have it set up to your liking,  you'll be leaving your Nikon at home most of the time.

Re: How to SELL stuff in Japan? Craigslist, Ebay???

I sell my stuff at the same shop in Osaka where I buy most of my gear, Tokiwa camera.

http://www.tokiwa-camera.co.jp/

They are a small family businetach that have been in business since 1928 by offering competitive pricing ( they will match the lowest price if they already don't have it) and by offering fair prices for used gear. As a result, they've maintain a loyal customer base.

I got ¥165,000, or a little over $2000 for the kit lens, body and  430 II flash, very fair considering they still have to make some profit, and very welcome considering I don' t need the hassle of finding a buyer myself.

Re: Sweet - if you're in Osaka you should be able to get the 35-100

g_r_w wrote:

Yodobashis in Tokyo released them yesterday (26th) and if you have a foreign passport you can get them GST free (as I did).

this is only if you're a tourist with a valid entry stamp to a maximum of 3 months ( beyond that you are in Japan illegally). My passports full of old work visas and spousal visas.

I've done exactly the same think as you - sold all my Canon FF gear and moved to FF (2 years now), but the lack of fast zooms was always frustrating.

The 35-100 feels great, although I haven't had the chance to take any real photos yet, today was a landscape day in Hakone.

I'm considering the 35-100, but I've been patiently waiting to see if Oly will release a micro version of the 50-200mm, my all time favorite 4/3's lens.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,915

rrr_hhh wrote:

SLOtographer wrote:

Congrats! I like having both FF and m43, but can see the allure of sticking with m43. The EM5 appears to be a landmark camera. It has raised the bar to the point, with good glass, that it meets a wide range of photographic needs.

Well if I had cash, and EM5, I'd be tempted to go with one of the magnificent 7 lineups.

Plan 1: 12/2, 17/1.8, 25/1.4, 45/1.8, 75/1.8, and 150/2.8 plus a macro, flash, batt grip.

Or Plan 2: 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300, two bright primes, macro, flash, batt grip.

On plan 2, I'd skip the 100-300mm which isn't up to the standard of the 1-14mm or the 12-35mm; for the 35-100mm I haven't read enough to say something.

Plan 1 is the best looking one ! But would you take all those lenses with you in a bag on a single photo outing ? If not, how will you choose among all those lenses ? The more gear you have, the more difficult it will be to choose the right lenses before a photo outing, isn't it ?

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

That's a good point.  I'd have a big case/bag with all the gear, which isn't that big comparatively. Then have a smaller shoulder bag for when you go out. Each day you arm yourself according to your objectives. Think of Batman, before he goes out for a twirl around Gotham City

-- hide signature --

SLOtographer
"If we limit our vision to the real world, we will forever be fighting on the minus side of things, working only too make our photographs equal to what we see out there, but no better." -- Galen Rowell

MatsP wrote:

Seems like many people do... I myself traded a 40D with 5 lenses or so from UWA to tele for an OMD with 12-50. So far I have also got a 40-150 and a Sigma 19/2,8, both to very good prices. As a former film slr user, among them Pen FT and OM-G, I recall the feeling from them when grabbing the OM-D. It's nice. And OMD has an excellent ability to produce pictures with high IQ, by the right photographer (which I not necessarily am myself). 40D is a very good camera, one of Canons best, maybe the best APS of that brand, but OMD is better, to my eyes anyway. But I'm not sure it betters a 5DII. Maybe close, but not better. But size and weight is also important.

The last sentence is key. The images I got with the canon and 70-200mm f4 were a pixel peepers dream, but in the end if you can't be bothered to lug a suitcase around with all your gear, and end up not using it, then there is no point of continuing to own it.

@ Bustard

Great Bustard wrote:

SLOtographer wrote:

That echoes my thoughts exactly, as I'm kinda in Chris' situation right now, and am debating which way I'll go. Have to say that Plan 1 greatly appeals to me (I shoot all primes on FF), but feel that Plan 2 would be the better choice for most.

Question for Chris: if the 5D3 had the D800 sensor (or even the D600 sensor), which way would you have gone?

I still would have gone for the om-d.

The  Sony sensor they're using makes hi iso less of an issue compared to Oly cameras of days gone by. But, the main reasons for going with the om-d are the weight savings (I can carry the om-d in a messenger bag along with ALL my lenses, and it's still about same weight as the 5d2 and kit lens) and features (eye detect focus when doing portraits, 9fps, etc etc). The loss of slightly shallower DOF is a small trade off.

General consensus was that the 70-200 f4 non-IS was the sharpest of that batch - f2.8 vs f4 & IS vs non-IS.

Having said that I started selling all my gear to fund an f2.8 IS II, because it basically looked like the best zoom Canon ever produced... then I just kept selling and moved to m43.

Re: Sweet - if you're in Osaka you should be able to get the 35-100

:-PChris_in_Osaka wrote:

g_r_w wrote:

this is only if you're a tourist with a valid entry stamp to a maximum of 3 months ( beyond that you are in Japan illegally). My passports full of old work visas and spousal visas.

I'm considering the 35-100, but I've been patiently waiting to see if Oly will release a micro version of the 50-200mm, my all time favorite 4/3's lens.

Bummer on the whole "living in Japan" thing

The 35-100 feels like a great lens - nice and compact.  Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads