Other Systems dream of this performance at f/5.6 - but at f/2.0?

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions
philosomatographer
philosomatographer Contributing Member • Posts: 539
Other Systems dream of this performance at f/5.6 - but at f/2.0?

I've been doing some focus calibration testing with the Zuiko Digital 35-100mm f/2.0 on a very difficult subject (a gauzy curtain) and it dawned upon me again how mind-bendingly good the Olympus E-5 and this peerless lens is at capturing fine detail like fabrics without the faintest sign of moire, yet with the lucidity of fine detail that makes it difficult to believe the image was captured by a Beyer-pattern sensor at all. At f/2.0 already, at 100mm, this sensor is soundly out-resolved across the frame with near-perfect contrast levels.

If depth of field is sufficient (say, distant landscape) the image detail you can capture hand-held at f/2.0 already across the frame is perfectly suitable for the most stringent of professional or artistic needs. The only reason to change your aperture is for depth of field, a trait that absolutely no other system's zoom lenses can boast.

Example image here (DPReview rendering will screw up the image for sure). Processed with RawTherapee on Arch Linux.

Moire/Sharpness/Focusing test image

Oh man, I am humbled to be able to use a lens like this to play around with.

philosomatographer's gear list:philosomatographer's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +3 more
Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,318
Re: Other Systems dream of this performance at f/5.6 - but at f/2.0?

I had the opportunity to use the 35-100 lens for a couple of hours (well nearly four hours) a few weekends back. It is an impressive piece of optics, so long as the shooter remembers to allow for the movement of the subject while at the zoo.  The shot the f/11 setting produced here would have no doubt been better closer to f/2.0.  Never use a lens unprepared.

Elephant Exhibit at the Denver Zoo, Denver, Colorado

-- hide signature --

E-5 and E-620
7-14, 9-18, 11-22, 12-60, 14-42, 14-45, 17.5-45, 18-180, 35, 40-150, 50, 50-200, 70-300

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II +10 more
faith_ps
faith_ps Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

This lens is indeed a dream lens. My savings went to this lens. Love and proud owning it.

Me and Daughter

Jakop

-- hide signature --

The saxophone is a very interesting machine, but I'm more interested in music.
Steve Lacy quotes

faith_ps's gear list:faith_ps's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP3 Merrill Leica X Vario Olympus Stylus 1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +17 more
esco Senior Member • Posts: 1,787

philosomatographer wrote:

I've been doing some focus calibration testing with the Zuiko Digital 35-100mm f/2.0 on a very difficult subject (a gauzy curtain) and it dawned upon me again how mind-bendingly good the Olympus E-5 and this peerless lens is at capturing fine detail like fabrics without the faintest sign of moire, yet with the lucidity of fine detail that makes it difficult to believe the image was captured by a Beyer-pattern sensor at all. At f/2.0 already, at 100mm, this sensor is soundly out-resolved across the frame with near-perfect contrast levels.

If depth of field is sufficient (say, distant landscape) the image detail you can capture hand-held at f/2.0 already across the frame is perfectly suitable for the most stringent of professional or artistic needs. The only reason to change your aperture is for depth of field, a trait that absolutely no other system's zoom lenses can boast.

Example image here (DPReview rendering will screw up the image for sure). Processed with RawTherapee on Arch Linux.

Moire/Sharpness/Focusing test image

Oh man, I am humbled to be able to use a lens like this to play around with.

-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

philosomatographer
OP philosomatographer Contributing Member • Posts: 539

You didn't really look at my f/2.0 crop, did you? If you think a competitor's 70-200 can do this, even at f/4.0, you have probably not used them all (I have) and are completely mistaken. There is practically no fixed-focal length lens that can beat this. If you are in posession of illustrative samples, please post them.

Then there is the great colour-rendering, perfect contrast at all apertures, and edge performance which make us owners of the Zuiko 35-100 really appreciate it over the alternatives. We can even forgive the slower, noisy focus. The SHG Zuikos are optically peerless, and it certainly took me a number of years to realise this.

Others are catching on... Even DigitalLoyd (in his paid subscription reviews) demonstrates the superiority of the SHG zooms over Leica M lenses in absolute terms.

Ahyway, I don't want to force you to use anything, my post was just a shout out to this wonderful optic.

Peace out.

philosomatographer's gear list:philosomatographer's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +3 more
Jos Bleau
Jos Bleau Forum Member • Posts: 84

You didn't really look at my f/2.0 crop, did you? If you think a competitor's 70-200 can do this, even at f/4.0, you have probably not used them all (I have) and are completely mistaken. There is practically no fixed-focal length lens that can beat this. If you are in posession of illustrative samples, please post them.

Try this

http://upload.pbase.com/mascular/image/145803573/original

at the aperture that you can not even attain.

Then there is the great colour-rendering, perfect contrast at all apertures, and edge performance which make us owners of the Zuiko 35-100 really appreciate it over the alternatives. We can even forgive the slower, noisy focus. The SHG Zuikos are optically peerless, and it certainly took me a number of years to realise this.

Others are catching on... Even DigitalLoyd (in his paid subscription reviews) demonstrates the superiority of the SHG zooms over Leica M lenses in absolute terms.

Ahyway, I don't want to force you to use anything, my post was just a shout out to this wonderful optic.

Peace out.

-- hide signature --

jos

illy
illy Forum Pro • Posts: 12,160

Peace out.

My Nikon 50mm/1.8D can do that, not knocking the wonderful Zuiko lenses, but they don't have a monopoly on good glass

-- hide signature --

I WIN BY SHOUTING LOUDEST

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846

illy wrote:

Peace out.

My Nikon 50mm/1.8D can do that, not knocking the wonderful Zuiko lenses, but they don't have a monopoly on good glass

50/1.8 D at f/2, havent checked myself, but maybe you should

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
John King
John King Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941

Rriley wrote:

illy wrote:

Peace out.

You mean like this?

Nikon f/1.8 50 D

Perhaps something to compare it with?

Or stopped down a tad

Shame about the CA and lack of evenness across the frame ...

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +17 more
Rriley

John King wrote:

Rriley wrote:

illy wrote:

Peace out.

You mean like this?

Nikon f/1.8 50 D

ok you made me hunt for it, actually I think its what I saw here

thats on D200, apparently this is D3x

and to quickly add 35-100/2

but before anyone gets too excited

what these MTF show IS the difference between lenses

to get actual resolving results you need to compute with sensor height

but still, zoom vs prime... good result

Or stopped down a tad

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.

-- hide signature --

Riley

Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
illy

Rriley wrote:

illy wrote:

Peace out.

already checked it with a shot, it actually surprised me by it's edge performance which is supposed to be really poor

-- hide signature --

Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
illy

John King wrote:

Rriley wrote:

illy wrote:

Peace out.

You mean like this?

Nikon f/1.8 50 D

Or stopped down a tad

for an £80 lens i think it performs rather well, i highlighted the in focus areas for you as DOF is pretty limited wide open on this lens, as usual view original for full size goodliness

i uploaded to my smugmug account cuz DPR obliterated the detail

this is the one to check out not the dpr massacred one

-- hide signature --

Rriley

illy wrote:

Rriley wrote:

illy wrote:

Peace out.

already checked it with a shot, it actually surprised me by it's edge performance which is supposed to be really poor

well the first MTF should be exactly what you are seeing. The edge and centre plots are agreeably close, not sure how that makes it 'good' or 'comparable' but there we are.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Riley

illy

Rriley wrote:

John King wrote:

Rriley wrote:

illy wrote:

Peace out.

You mean like this?

Nikon f/1.8 50 D

ok you made me hunt for it, actually I think its what I saw here

thats on D200, apparently this is D3x

and to quickly add 35-100/2

but before anyone gets too excited

what these MTF show IS the difference between lenses

to get actual resolving results you need to compute with sensor height

but still, zoom vs prime... good result

Or stopped down a tad

with the price difference between the 2 lenses you could buy a D600 as well and still come in cheaper than the Oly lens, not bad i think

-- hide signature --

illy

Rriley wrote:

illy wrote:

Rriley wrote:

illy wrote:

Peace out.

well the first MTF should be exactly what you are seeing. The edge and centre plots are agreeably close, not sure how that makes it 'good' or 'comparable' but there we are.

well the OP claimed it couldn't be done except by Oly lenses, it was a blank statement

-- hide signature --

John King
I didn't realise ...

I didn't realise that we were talking about cheapie lenses.

Maybe it does compare favourably with (say) a 17.5~45 ...

The "argument" that some have been putting here is that it is comparable to other than a lousy kit lens ...

Pardon my misunderstanding, but I thought that the OP was talking about comparisons with an SHG lens, with which there is no comparison at all, of course ...

-- hide signature --

-

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +17 more
illy
Re: I didn't realise ...

John King wrote:

The "argument" that some have been putting here is that it is comparable to other than a lousy kit lens ...

Pardon my misunderstanding, but I thought that the OP was talking about comparisons with an SHG lens, with which there is no comparison at all, of course ...

"Other Systems dream of this performance at f/5.6 - but at f/2.0?"

-- hide signature --

Rriley

illy wrote:

John King wrote:

it doesnt seem to occur to you that the plots are polar opposites

i think you might be holding a chart upside down

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Riley

illy

Rriley wrote:

illy wrote:

John King wrote:

it doesnt seem to occur to you that the plots are polar opposites

i think you might be holding a chart upside down

i must be holding the lens upside down too

-- hide signature --

John King

illy wrote:

i must be holding the lens upside down too

Now why would that not surprise me ... ?

-- hide signature --

> I WIN BY SHOUTING LOUDEST

Certainly agree with you about your "shouting"; hadn't noticed you "winning"; must have missed that post ...

--

-

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads