K-01 firmware update - how great is that?

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions
Daedbird Regular Member • Posts: 221
K-01 firmware update - how great is that?

So I have been waiting for some response on here about K-01 owners and their thoughts on the new firmware update and what they think of their cameras now.

I am a K-01 newbie, just gotten a great deal on one a few weeks ago. In fact, I got it a few days before the firmware was released. When I first tried out the camera, some of the reasons I waited (until I got a deal) before buying showed up. Slow AF, rolling shutter - things that got it panned in nearly every review which seemed to have the same qualifier "if you have Pentax lenses, it may make sense for you."

After the firmware update - and getting a feel for the camera - I have to say this is the most disrespected cameras out today. The AF is now fast, at least faster than my K-10. I am really surprised at how fast it can throw through the range of a long lens like my Tamron 70-200 2.8. I will have to see how things go in a darker atmosphere, but students on a poorly lit stage did not give it any problems.

As far as the rolling shutter issue, I kind of think this was overblown, at least from my testing. I get rolling shutter more if I have SR running. I turn SR off, it practically disappears. But SR really does a good job of reducing shake in video mode.

In all, my only concern is the grip on the camera - it feels slightly unnatural right now, but maybe I will grow accustom to it over time - I just wish it was shaped with a real grip.

Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083
Re: K-01 firmware update - how great is that?

Hi,

i'm not using AF a lot with my K-01, i mainly use it in MF because of the focus peaking. Some lenses are faster now, others show less improvements but it was worth the update!

More responsive now and still very accurate.

I have small hands  so i don't have trouble holding my K-01, sure a DSLR is easier to hold but the K-01 is a lot more comfortable than holding an NEX camera !

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
JoeDaBassPlayer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,722

Yes, it is highly disrespected because of a few poorly conceived reviews. One must remember, that most who come to these forums just regurgitate what they read. It is too bad DPR never reviewed it.

The Firmware helps. AF is a bit zippier. Unlike PDAF, it is dead accurate all the time.  It will not do sports well but is great for other uses.

I like the grip. It allows the camera to be better handled away from the face, at different angles.

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

John Cal
John Cal Regular Member • Posts: 355

I could not agree more, it is a tremendous little camera so much fun to use and the results are outstanding.  I hope DPR will give an updated test/review with the latest firmware. This camera is a very misunderstood and much maligned photographic tool, it deserves to be better considered as such. I don't use my K7 or K10 much these days.

Regards

John Cal's gear list:John Cal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 +18 more
Cheezr
Cheezr Senior Member • Posts: 1,236

I mostly use my K-01 indoors and in the evenings and for me the AF has gone from unusable to pretty damn good with the firmware update. I also have become quite used to ISO 12800 which for web posting is quite acceptable as well (i do shoot raw).

The image quality of the K-01 is really excellent, IMO.

CZR

-- hide signature --

Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

Nick Savoiu Senior Member • Posts: 1,632
DPR review...
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,450
Did They Implement My Algorithm???

Daedbird wrote:

After the firmware update - and getting a feel for the camera - I have to say this is the most disrespected cameras out today. The AF is now fast, at least faster than my K-10. I am really surprised at how fast it can throw through the range of a long lens like my Tamron 70-200 2.8. I will have to see how things go in a darker atmosphere, but students on a poorly lit stage did not give it any problems.

HAH!

If the AF is really that much improved they might have actually implemented my CDAF algorithm i sent through channels at Pentax... I've got to find someone in Southern Ontario who has one to try out to be sure that is what they did! If it is my algorithm then those who have a K-01 with new firmware have a piece of MightyMike along with Pentax in their camera!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 6,802

Just ordered my K-01 and I appreciate the heads-up - I'll be installing the update before I start using it.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 26,088
Re: Did They Implement My Algorithm???

I would hope they had the decency to let you know if they did Mike.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more
Re: DPR review...

Nick Savoiu wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05/30/Pentax-K-01-review

My original statement is correct. Jeff Keller wrote a non review. DPR took it and added some appendices to it.

Going to the Pentax USA website and reading the review from the blog, The Fox is Black, will provide a far better idea of the utility of this camera as a photographic tool. Looking at photos from myself, Leopold, and Wesely Wong are also far more informative than the DPR "review."

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

Re: Did They Implement My Algorithm???

MightyMike wrote:

Daedbird wrote:

HAH!

If the AF is really that much improved they might have actually implemented my CDAF algorithm i sent through channels at Pentax... I've got to find someone in Southern Ontario who has one to try out to be sure that is what they did! If it is my algorithm then those who have a K-01 with new firmware have a piece of MightyMike along with Pentax in their camera!

Oh no! And I can not roll back the firmware either.

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

saralecaire Regular Member • Posts: 383

Was there any improvement made to the burst shooting rate or is it still 1fps (which is obviously artificially limited since the bracket shooting goes up to about 6fps)?

John Cal
John Cal Regular Member • Posts: 355

saralecaire wrote:

Was there any improvement made to the burst shooting rate or is it still 1fps (which is obviously artificially limited since the bracket shooting goes up to about 6fps)?

Unfortunately no change to 1fps in RAW it would great if this could be possible? I see the price has dropped on the K-01 a bargain for any Pentax shooters siting on the fence.

John Cal's gear list:John Cal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 +18 more

John Cal wrote:

saralecaire wrote:

Unfortunately no change to 1fps in RAW it would great if this could be possible? I see the price has dropped on the K-01 a bargain for any Pentax shooters siting on the fence.

I do see a difference in RAW shot to shot times depending on the card. I have a Sandisk 45mbs card and it is significantly faster than another fast card I have.

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

Nick Savoiu Senior Member • Posts: 1,632

I think that the DPR review is quite fair. IQ is very good, ergonomics/looks are subjective, about the only thing to fault might be the AF speed. I hear the updated firmware improves on that but it's not clear.

I looked at the Fox is Black review but it's not much of a review, mostly photos which goes to prove the IQ is great.

-- hide signature --

I strongly disagree on the ergonomics issue. The shape of the body is not an issue. the actual controls available, and access to settings are better than what you get on camparable priced cameras. Programable buttons, IBIS, a real battery, Focus peaking help it be an incredibly powerful photographic tool. it is not a sports  shooter. That is what the negatives say. I agree on that. For other shooting, especially low light, I will take it over anything else. When it gets really dark, focus peaking works when nothing else will.

This review is honest about some of the negatives but there are a lot of positives that truly are not addressed. Because of that, it is not a viable review.

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

MikeAusA200 Senior Member • Posts: 2,057

I've just given the 1.01 firmware a focus torture test and I am stunned at the improvement.

With Ver 1.00 it would frequently indicate focus lock even when focus was WAY off. This was particularly bad with the Sigma 17-50 2.8 EX HSM. I spent months wondering whether to return camera and lens for repair or wait for a firmware fix.

Tonight I went on a cemetery tour starting just before sunset. EVERY photo is in focus - from a plaque half a metre away lit by torchlight to a stormcloud lit by post-sunset light !

Backlighting, frontlighting, sidelighting even when I had to go to 25,600 ISO worked. Not a single zzzztzzztzzzzt as it searched back and forth for focus lock.

It really worked as well as PDAF on my K-20D.

If they'd had this firmware on initial launch, they wouldn't be selling off the K-01 at half price.

fyungc0803 New Member • Posts: 1

Didn't do "torture" test but surely have same experience - when I got K01 in mid of Sep my 16-50 always is kind of out of focus at 2.8 obviously at least. Luckily only 1 month later Pentax issues new firmware I think it does changes K01 (and 16-50) new camera (new combo) in name of CDAF, which I understand supposed to be more accurate than PDAF at cost of speed.

AF with 1.01 is deadly on spot and faster than 1.0 but we have to admit it is not fast enough to shoot kids, to be fair it is not even as fast as my 3 years Pana GH1 especially in low light.

Good with K01 is you have no problem set ISO 4000 to have faster shutter with kids shooting...

Nice move of Pentax and improvement of this serious firmware upgrading is very helpful for cultivating customer stickness.

duber3 New Member • Posts: 10

What about the video problem as discribed in the review

I have a Pentax K20 and I would like to buy the K-01 for the video capability

is the firmware solve the rolling shutter problem??

thanks!!

Cane Veteran Member • Posts: 6,900

Can anyone compare it to the K-r please?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads