Just renewed my vows with Canon.......

Started Oct 23, 2012 | Discussions
DFPanno
DFPanno Veteran Member • Posts: 5,485
Just renewed my vows with Canon.......

Just ordered a 50 1.2 L, essentially renewing my vows with Canon.

I've shot Canon digital since 2002 (came up on Nikon).  I waited for years for the 5D3 and reflexly pulled the trigger for a 5D3 kit last spring.

Like many others I've held off on new lenses as I have been considering a switch to Nikon.

No more.

It is a fabulous sensor but my impression after reading countless threads on a dozen forums is that the D600/D800 have too many problems.  In some cases seemingly intractable problems.

Cameras DOA, AF issues, particulate matter and oil on the sensors.  It goes on and on.

The problems seem to be compounded with less than ideal service to boot.

Photography is something I do to relax; not to get wound up over.  I do not want the potential hassle and heartache no matter how good the imagery.

Not trying to "dis" Nikon.  I have a lot of respect for what they have done but I really want the complete package and that includes a high level of predictability in the QA area.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
henrikbengtsson Senior Member • Posts: 1,074
Re: Just renewed my vows with Canon.......

Congrats. It's one sweet lens and paired with the 5D3 AF system it is nothing but a joy to use. Keep it wide open

henrikbengtsson's gear list:henrikbengtsson's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM +1 more
DFPanno
OP DFPanno Veteran Member • Posts: 5,485
Thanks! Never shot a 1.2.....

Some people seem to find it too challenging; others have no problem.

I will work through it any case; a dream lens for me.

qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

Congrats!  It's a great lens.

-- hide signature --
grammieb14 Senior Member • Posts: 2,673

I recently acquired that combo & I love it.  I don't know about the 501.2 with other bodies, but I have had great success so far with the 5Diii.  I love the combo.  Enjoy. Bab

grammieb14's gear list:grammieb14's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M5 +38 more
sfischer Forum Member • Posts: 53

I share your view.  I just recently upgraded my 5dmk2 to a mk3, and wow! what a camera!

I was generally happy with the mk2 and the quality images I have been able to capture with it.  But the 5Dmk3 seems like it just refines or improves on so many of the camera's attributes, that I continue to be very pleased with each new photographic outing.  In my mind Canon has hit another home run with this body.

Alton (TN) Senior Member • Posts: 1,092
I guess I did too...

I might not put it that way (married to Canon), but I did add the 5D MKIII to my collection of Canon gear. I have a 7D, 5D MKII, and now the MKIII. I was also intrigued with the D800 and still would love to have one, but I have always been satisfied with the results I get with my Canon gear and I already had everything I needed to continue. Flashes, lens, batteries, etc.

I have been delighted with the 5D MKIII. It was much more than an incremental upgrade to the 5D MKII. I like it better than any camera I have owned. There is just something about this camera and the images from it that I didn't see coming. I'm glad I decided to go with it now.

I also recently added the 50 F1.2L. So far it seems like a great addition. This winter I'll see if it performs well for what I bought it for when I shoot church basketball at close range. I am pretty sure it will do fine with the 5D3 AF.

I am beginning to understand how difficult it would be to build a camera body to satisfy everyone's  needs. For me though, the combination of the 7D and 5D MKIII has me more than content. I would love to see some of the features of the 5D3 added to a 7D replacement, like the locking mode dial, silent shutter, AF, less noise at high ISO to name a few. But the 7D is pretty good the way it is also and I like having a cropped sensor with high pixel density for wildlife. That is about the only possible thing I might need that the 5D3 don't have.

I know Nikon makes great cameras and that makes things good for all of us. If I had Nikon gear I would probably be content with it. Just like Canon, there are always things that come up with photography gear, but they have a great line up right now. So does Canon, and after those two everyone else still are pretty far back. Even so, there are others out there will nice offerings.

So I don't think I could say I'm married to Canon, but I am set up with them for the next year or so at least.

-- hide signature --

Alton

Alton (TN)'s gear list:Alton (TN)'s gear list
Nikon D500
Volksgti81 Contributing Member • Posts: 792

50 1.2 won't disappoint.

Volksgti81's gear list:Volksgti81's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
DotCom Editor Veteran Member • Posts: 7,243
Canon, Nikon; both great, both problematic

Both platforms a superb. To suggest otherwise is ill-informed. That said, neither company is immune from screw-ups. We've seen problems from both. I've been shooting Canon since the 35mm A-1 in the early 1980s. And, I see no reason to switch.

DotCom Editor's gear list:DotCom Editor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +3 more
José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 18,487
Congrats, it's an awesome lens!!! (nt)

DFPanno wrote:

Just ordered a 50 1.2 L, essentially renewing my vows with Canon.

I've shot Canon digital since 2002 (came up on Nikon).  I waited for years for the 5D3 and reflexly pulled the trigger for a 5D3 kit last spring.

Like many others I've held off on new lenses as I have been considering a switch to Nikon.

No more.

It is a fabulous sensor but my impression after reading countless threads on a dozen forums is that the D600/D800 have too many problems.  In some cases seemingly intractable problems.

Cameras DOA, AF issues, particulate matter and oil on the sensors.  It goes on and on.

The problems seem to be compounded with less than ideal service to boot.

Photography is something I do to relax; not to get wound up over.  I do not want the potential hassle and heartache no matter how good the imagery.

Not trying to "dis" Nikon.  I have a lot of respect for what they have done but I really want the complete package and that includes a high level of predictability in the QA area.

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +12 more
Marx81
Marx81 Regular Member • Posts: 434
Re: I guess I did too...

I had before 400d , 40d , 5d2  , I got now 5d3 and Fuji x100 .

And no experience with any 1 series model .

In this limited perspective I consider 5d3 the sweetest cam made by Canon .

Being often on the move in countries with no direct service available , I trust more Canon quality control than Nikon : I refer to the latest models in the medium/high range of the line up .

About the glass I still make it do with 50 f1.4 , so got no direct input about 50 f1,2 .

I can say my 50 f1.4 works great on 5d3 . So I guess will be for 50 f1,2 .

For walk around glass I use now days minute 40mm pancake .

Marx81's gear list:Marx81's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
Rocker44 Junior Member • Posts: 39

DFPanno wrote:

Photography is something I do to relax; not to get wound up over.

Prob not a good idea to hang around in these forums too much then

Gmshots Junior Member • Posts: 34

Congrats n hv fun shooting.

wanted to get one after trying it out but stopped due to it being a fixed lens.

now looking at the 24-70ii...looking and salivating only.

Regards

Guna m

Gmshots's gear list:Gmshots's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
DFPanno
LOL; good one.
DFPanno
Really?

Other than the initial "light leak" issue what problems has the 5D3 had?

Gosh; I hate to appear "ill-informed".

I have no vested interested in diminishing any brand let alone a company whose products have provided me with thousands of beautiful images.

I have spent hours researching their products since the D800 introduction.  I am a reasonably bright guy and I think my conclusions are valid; at least for me.

My guess is that Nikon is overwhelmed at the moment and QA has taken a hit.

Hopefully they will get back on track.  The D800E is a techno tour-de-force and in the right hands produces astonishing images.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads