Question: Best Nex to EOS Adapter?

Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions
Vibhav Regular Member • Posts: 351
Question: Best Nex to EOS Adapter?

Hi,

With so many adapters on the market for NEX to Canon EOS, Which from your experience is a good adapter? I am looking for camera controlled aperture control but not auto focusing...

I am about to buy the Nex-6 and have tons of EOS lenses, therefore would be good to have this!

Please let me know... Thanks!

-- hide signature --
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ChefAlex
ChefAlex Contributing Member • Posts: 683
Re: Question: Best Nex to EOS Adapter?

I too would like to know. I was about to buy the Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro USM but could't decide on which adapter to get. I also was not planning on spending 100+ for a basic adapter from B&H

ChefAlex's gear list:ChefAlex's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II
ET2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,110

Vibhav wrote:

Hi,

With so many adapters on the market for NEX to Canon EOS, Which from your experience is a good adapter? I am looking for camera controlled aperture control but not auto focusing...

http://www.metabones.com/sony/buy-eos-nex-adapter

OP Vibhav Regular Member • Posts: 351

ET2 wrote:

Vibhav wrote:

Hi,

http://www.metabones.com/sony/buy-eos-nex-adapter

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,412
re: currently there are four smart EF to E-mount adapters...

Vibhav wrote:

I am about to buy the Nex-6 and have tons of EOS lenses, therefore would be good to have this!

...also some months ago Kipon announced intention to release one, but so far there were no further news; you can check here:

jpr2

Steven-T
Steven-T Veteran Member • Posts: 3,385

Vibhav wrote:

Hi,

Please let me know... Thanks!

-- hide signature --

The Metabones is a bit expensive, and no AF.  There are new ones with EXIF data, aperture control, IS, and (slow) AF, and much cheaper.  Check the "bay".  Kipon is coming out with one soon.

With EOS, you want / new "smart" adapter.  I myself am waiting to get a cheaper better quality one.  No hurry for me.

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Leica M9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony Alpha a7R II +6 more
re: I wonder whether the Zhuoming one is a clone of Conurus?

Steven-T wrote:

The Metabones is a bit expensive, and no AF.  There are new ones with EXIF data, aperture control, IS, and (slow) AF, and much cheaper.  Check the "bay".  Kipon is coming out with one soon.

With EOS, you want / new "smart" adapter.  I myself am waiting to get a cheaper better quality one.  No hurry for me.

What I'd really like to see is a direct comparison, done by an experienced DPR'er, between Conurus and Zhuoming adapters in action, esp. concerning how both handle various communication compatibility issues of translating Canon EF lens protocols to NEX, and E-body protocols to EF lenses. And how well ZM's firmware works together with N7. Preferably compared with the latest Green Mode version of Conurus FW.

Anyway, notice how they did lift the whole descriptive part of lenses compatibility and tests straight out of Conurus pages. For ZM see this: e-bay page

jpr2

re: basic adapter over 100+ from B&H?

ChefAlex wrote:

I also was not planning on spending 100+ for a basic adapter from B&H

it would make little to no sense = add more and have a full Av & IS control + some rudimentary AF as well although with the current state of CDAF on NEX'es AF isn't going to work great

jpr2

Don Christie Regular Member • Posts: 397
Re: re: currently there are four smart EF to E-mount adapters...

Has Anyone had a chance to play with the Kipon yet?  The Kipon Canon FD to NEX adapters, though pricey, are very good quality.  I keep toying with the idea of getting the Metabones, but the thought that the Kipon is around the corner makes me wait.

Knallberto Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478

Haha, the works-only-half-adapter for millionaires ....

re: it was almost exactly three months ago when...

Don Christie wrote:

Has Anyone had a chance to play with the Kipon yet? The Kipon Canon FD to NEX adapters, though pricey, are very good quality. I keep toying with the idea of getting the Metabones, but the thought that the Kipon is around the corner makes me wait.

...they did announce it with a big fanfare Kipon electronic EOS to E-mount adapterbut since then virtually nothing, despite making noises that Photokina booth this year will display one already functional - might not be worth to wait, I-st snows are already in EU, waiting for fine EF lenses on N7 !!

jpr2

ChefAlex
Re: re: it was almost exactly three months ago when...
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II
re: update - currently there are five smart EF to E-mount adapters...

jpr2 wrote:

Vibhav wrote:

...also some months ago Kipon announced intention to release one, but so far there were no further news; you can check here:

just for the sake of completeness, as I'm collecting all infos on EF to E-mount smart adapters - here is yet another from China - the R.J. adapter for $270 + $25 extra for AF R.J. brief blog, not much data, but with YT videoit is being discussed elsewhere already, with a link in the previous post

jpr2

ChefAlex
Re: re: update - currently there are five smart EF to E-mount adapters...

jpr2 wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

Vibhav wrote:

just for the sake of completeness, as I'm collecting all infos on EF to E-mount smart adapters - here is yet another from China - the R.J. adapter for $270 + $25 extra for AF R.J. brief blog, not much data, but with YT videoit is being discussed elsewhere already, with a link in the previous post

jpr2

Also, if you look up Cheeseycam I believe, they have a review of that adapter but without the AF.  I will be getting mine around next Friday

re: it'd be very interesting to compare notes on the R.J. one vs. Conurus

ChefAlex wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

Vibhav wrote:

Also, if you look up Cheeseycam I believe, they have a review of that adapter but without the AF. I will be getting mine around next Friday

your subject line on the thread abt. the R.J. one was so misleading, that it has slipped past my attention entirely, and only now that thread got "recovered"

I'd like to compare how well CDAF on NEX works with EF lenses, although I remain not very hopeful: some caveats are rather obvious , but my main reservation stems from a fear to loose some very fine features that Conurus adapter's FW (ver. 03) already provides. So... should the R.J. indeed support them all as well as Conurus does already, then it would make it a little more reasonable to obtain yet another adapter - IFF... indeed AF will work at least semi-decently (and allowing DMF, of course, without DMF it will be more of hindrance than help IMO)

jpr2

ChefAlex
Re: re: it'd be very interesting to compare notes on the R.J. one vs. Conurus

jpr2 wrote:

ChefAlex wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

Vibhav wrote:

Also, if you look up Cheeseycam I believe, they have a review of that adapter but without the AF. I will be getting mine around next Friday

your subject line on the thread abt. the R.J. one was so misleading, that it has slipped past my attention entirely, and only now that thread got "recovered"

I'd like to compare how well CDAF on NEX works with EF lenses, although I remain not very hopeful: some caveats are rather obvious , but my main reservation stems from a fear to loose some very fine features that Conurus adapter's FW (ver. 03) already provides. So... should the R.J. indeed support them all as well as Conurus does already, then it would make it a little more reasonable to obtain yet another adapter - IFF... indeed AF will work at least semi-decently (and allowing DMF, of course, without DMF it will be more of hindrance than help IMO)

jpr2

As I have stated before, when I receive it, I will do a video to demonstrate the adapter at work. I will post another thread for anyone having questions about it.

re: another update - currently there are six smart EF to E-mount adapters...

jpr2 wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

Vibhav wrote:

cornucopia opened, and finally the mysterious MX (which was hinted some weeks back by Alpha Rumors) revealed although there are some pointers that Zhuoming and MX might be the same product

jpr2

re: Conurus notes on AF with their Smart EF to E-mount adapter Mk-II

jpr2 wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

Vibhav wrote:

cornucopia opened, and finally the mysterious MX (which was hinted some weeks back by Alpha Rumors) revealed although there are some pointers that Zhuoming and MX might be the same product

again, for completeness sake:

Autofocus is supported, with the following known limitations.

• Autofocus speed is very slow and inadequate for most moving subjects. The autofocus speed is unfit for professional use for sure, and it would disappoint most enthusiasts.
  • Only Canon-branded lenses introduced in or after 2006 are officially supported. Autofocus is disabled for older Canon lenses and most third-party lenses, including most Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses and all Contax N lenses modified by Conurus.
  • On NEX camera bodies in camcorder form factor (e.g. FS series), autofocus may be available only in photo mode but not in movie capture mode.
  • Continuous AF is not supported.
  • For non-camcorder camera bodies (e.g. NEX-7), during movie capture, if the subject moves to a different distance, half-press the shutter release button to re-activate autofocus and lock onto the subject again. Since autofocus speed is slow, there may be visible disruption in the resulting footage.
  • The first two autofocus attempts are used to calibrate the lens and as a result may not lock successfully on the target. Half-press the shutter release button again and autofocus will lock successfully.
  • Autofocus may have difficultly locking onto subjects which are very close to the nearest focusing distance of the lens.
  • Autofocus accuracy depends heavily on the working condition of the lens. Lenses with hidden problems which may not be apparent on Canon DSLRs will lead to inaccurate and unreliable autofocus on Sony NEX. Typical problems of this kind that we have seen include an unsmooth/erratic autofocus mechanism (e.g. getting stuck intermittently at a certain focusing distance), a faulty/worn-out distance encoder or other faulty/worn-out internal sensors.
  • Autofocus is supported only on Mark II Smart Adapters but does not work on the older Mark I version.
  • Firmware version 14 or above is required. There is no firmware download but firmware update is a factory service procedure. Firmware version 14 is our first attempt at autofocus and we anticipate further improvements and bug fixes in future versions. Therefore, we advise existing Mark II Smart Adapter customers to wait for our next firmware release before sending in your adapter for firmware update.

more, with a partial list of lenses tested

jpr2

Amidst The Ruins
Amidst The Ruins Forum Member • Posts: 56
Re: re: Conurus notes on AF with their Smart EF to E-mount adapter Mk-II

I own an EOS prime: a Sigma 50/1.4.  I'm guessing AF will be disabled with these adapters since it's third party.  Can anyone recommend an adapter that enables control of the aperture of the lens?  I don't need AF as it will probably be disabled anyway.  Hopefully, it'll be a lot cheaper than the AF adapters listed above.

Many thanks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads