A taste of Cuba / D800. Lots of pics.

Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions
OP winter1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,003
Re: A taste of Cuba / D800. Lots of pics.

Hi

Hi Michel,

Thanks for taking a look.  I am working on more so may post a few in "Cuba 2" but will have to see if they are too "holiday snapish" first!!

Cheers and best regards, Mark.

M Lammerse wrote:

Hi Mark,

Wonderful images. Especially this one below is one of my favorites of your series. Love to see more if you have!

Michel

winter1 wrote:

Just back from  2 weeks Vacation in Cuba.  Had a fantastic time and found the varied landscape, Wildlife and people very interesting (and above all very Friendly).

Below are a number of shots using the D800 and 28-300VR.  Went for convenience with this kit and found the 28-300vr to be the vesatile tool that it is.  No complaints from me re this kit!

Anyone considering the D800 / 28-300vr combo may wish to take a look below.

Cheers, Mark.

-- hide signature --

- To observe without evaluation is the highest form of human intelligence -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05/ (my pixel mess on flikr)

winter1's gear list:winter1's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7 III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
Here's a few more. A taste of Cuba 2

Hi Guys,

Here's a few more.  I hope I haven't over stepped the mark and gone into holiday snap mode!

Have many more but they contain Family and really are holiday (memories) snap shots.

As before all shot with D800 (RAW) and 28-300vr.

I hope they give a "further taste of Cuba" as inteneded.

Cheers, Mark.

Click to enlarge.

Sony RX100 V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7 III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
Joseph C Parisi DVM Contributing Member • Posts: 512
Re: Here's a few more. A taste of Cuba 2

Great series Cuba2.

Joe Parisi

-- hide signature --

Underwater photography: Keep the oceans clean for all to enjoy.
http://www.pbase.com/image/60285018.jpg

Manny82 Contributing Member • Posts: 633

I always enjoy reading your post-holiday threads Mark. Again, another lovely set of snaps. Thanks for sharing these. I must admit, the 28-300 is pretty impressive for what it is - i dismissed it earlier this year when i purchased the 24-120 f/4 instead - but even that went back.

One question though, i notice all of your shots were captured in f/9 or f/10. Was that purely because that's what suits the optics best on this lens?

Manny82's gear list:Manny82's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
camerashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,503

Some wonderful images there, Mark, good clean lighting makes all the difference in creating fantastic shots, I'm sure you have fond memories of the place and people, its a Country that is on my 'to visit' list.

Thanks for sharing Cuba2

Dave

-- hide signature --

pbase supporter at www.pbase.com/dav4184
for equipment see profile

camerashy's gear list:camerashy's gear list
Nikon D800
raptureall Forum Member • Posts: 57

Thanks for sharing.  I was surprised the quality from this lens.  Keep up the good work!

raptureall's gear list:raptureall's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR
Scott Oberle Regular Member • Posts: 255

Spent 10 days in Cuba last January, shooting with a D700 and 28-300. 5 days in Havana, 5 days in Trinidad. Really enjoyed your images. Cuba is an amazing photo enviornment and the people are wonderful. I felt much safer there than at home... Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Scott Oberle

Scott Oberle's gear list:Scott Oberle's gear list
Nikon D810

Joseph C Parisi DVM wrote:

Great series Cuba2.

Joe Parisi

Thank you Joe.

Regards Mark.

Manny82 wrote:

I always enjoy reading your post-holiday threads Mark. Again, another lovely set of snaps. Thanks for sharing these. I must admit, the 28-300 is pretty impressive for what it is - i dismissed it earlier this year when i purchased the 24-120 f/4 instead - but even that went back.

One question though, i notice all of your shots were captured in f/9 or f/10. Was that purely because that's what suits the optics best on this lens?

Thanks for taking a look.  It was certainly my pleasure to be in Cuba and have the opportunity to take some holiday memories home with me.

Re the 28-300vr.  f8-f11 is where I like to be with this lens and I feel that's it's sweet spot.  I purchased this as a go light travel lens that has incredible flexibility and it does the job very well in my op.  However if IQ is your main concern then of course you need to take your primes and 24-70 and 70-200 etc etc.  It's not hard to beat the 28-300 re IQ with the aforementioned lens but racking out from 28-300 with the flick of the wrist does it for me, especially when I am on Vacation!

How many photo ops may I have missed whilst changing lens?  Those Dragon flies don't hang around for long!!

Cheers mate, take care and all the best, Mark.

raptureall wrote:

Thanks for sharing.  I was surprised the quality from this lens.  Keep up the good work!

Thank you for looking.

Used as intended I think the 28-300 has adequate to good IQ but above all it is a very flexible piece of kit.  Jack of all, master of none of course.  But it is the King of flexibility in my book.

Kind regads, Mark.

Mike Stratil Contributing Member • Posts: 875

Mark,

What are the current US travel restrictions regarding Cuba?

How did you get permission?

-- hide signature --

Michael S

Scott Oberle wrote:

Spent 10 days in Cuba last January, shooting with a D700 and 28-300. 5 days in Havana, 5 days in Trinidad. Really enjoyed your images. Cuba is an amazing photo enviornment and the people are wonderful. I felt much safer there than at home... Thanks for sharing.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for viewing.

Yes agree 100% re Cuba.  Great place to visit, very friendly people and very safe.  We did not go to Havana but the places we did visit all seemed very safe.  Agree re safer there then at Home!

Most have nothing but a smile on their face and little in the way of possesions.  Do you ever wonder if maybe it's us that have it all wrong?

Cheers mate.  Take care and all the best, Mark.

Mike Stratil wrote:

Mark,

Hi Mike,

I am from the UK so no restrictions for us Brits, just Visa application which was handled by our Travel Agent.

Lot's of Canadians visiting but I am guessing not too easy for you guys in the USA?

Regards, Mark.

immanis Junior Member • Posts: 32

Mike Stratil wrote:

Mark,

Regular travel is still restricted due to the obsolete (and probably inconstitutional) application of the Trading with the Enemy Act, but last year US government approved a limited people-to-people program, meaning that you can use one of the licensed companies to travel legally over there, but there are some restrictions about what you supposedly do over there (basically no government owned stuff, no rum, no tobacco and no dance :p)

Of course, cuban government is not interested in applying US laws, specially those opposed to their own interests, so I guess there is some latitude in the application of the program once you get there.

Additionally, Cuba immigration officers don't stamp visas in US citizens passports for the same reason, so is fairly common to find US citizens visiting privately via third country, but thats still illegal in US and people doing so may get large fines and even prison for doing so.

Scott Oberle Regular Member • Posts: 255

. Do you ever wonder if maybe it's us that have it all wrong?

Cheers mate.

They have very little, want very little, and are amazingly happy. Certainly makes me question my values...

-- hide signature --

Scott Oberle

Scott Oberle's gear list:Scott Oberle's gear list
Nikon D810
Ray Soares Veteran Member • Posts: 3,121
Great set! Congrats! nt
-- hide signature --

Ray Soares
See my pictures at www.pbase.com/raysoares

Ray Soares's gear list:Ray Soares's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +1 more
Re: Great set! Congrats! nt

Ray Soares wrote:

Thanks for taking a look Ray.

Cheers, Mark.

Mike Stratil Contributing Member • Posts: 875

Immanis,

Thanks for this very informative post.

Mike

-- hide signature --

Michael S

Gene J. Paull Senior Member • Posts: 1,754
Comment on '55 and '56 GM vehicles!

Hi!

I'm joining this thread late.  Got linked to it by a 28-300 thread.  Those 55-56 GM Chevies, Pontiacs, and the Olds would be worth a fortune in the classic car market today.  Are the owners aware of that?
Where do they get the parts to keep them running?  How do they keep them so faithfully restored?

Excellents phots, by the way!

-- hide signature --

Gene in Deep South Texas
http://www.pbase.com/lahuasteca/

Gene J. Paull's gear list:Gene J. Paull's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D80 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 118
Re: Comment on '55 and '56 GM vehicles!

Gene

I spent 10 days in Cuba a year ago... As the story goes, most/many of the old chevys have Russian rear ends and many have Russian engines..

BTW.. My pics at..  I think this goes to the Cuba gallery.. if not kill the /f.....

http://patrickleahyphotography.zenfolio.com/f962001158

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads