A taste of Cuba / D800. Lots of pics.

Started Oct 22, 2012 | Discussions
winter1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,990
A taste of Cuba / D800. Lots of pics.

Just back from  2 weeks Vacation in Cuba.  Had a fantastic time and found the varied landscape, Wildlife and people very interesting (and above all very Friendly).

Below are a number of shots using the D800 and 28-300VR.  Went for convenience with this kit and found the 28-300vr to be the vesatile tool that it is.  No complaints from me re this kit!

Anyone considering the D800 / 28-300vr combo may wish to take a look below.

Cheers, Mark.

winter1's gear list:winter1's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7 III Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
exposure
exposure Contributing Member • Posts: 957
Re: A taste of Cuba / D800. Lots of pics.

Mark,

Looks like it did the job very well.  Love the car shots.  Thanks for sharing.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

www.andrewatkinsonphotography.co.uk
http://andrewatkinson.aminus3.com/

Fastmikefree Regular Member • Posts: 428

Very nice pics indeed! Did you feel anytime at risk with your Nikon or was it safe to be around with such of valuable gears?

Cheers

Phil

OP winter1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,990

exposure wrote:

Mark,

Looks like it did the job very well.  Love the car shots.  Thanks for sharing.

Andrew

Hi Andrew.

Thanks for viewing.

Yes can't complain and happy with the combo.  I have printed some to A3 size and have to say the detail is phenomenal but unfortunately lost when viewing here.   That's why I always like to print!

Cheers, Mark.

Fastmikefree wrote:

Very nice pics indeed! Did you feel anytime at risk with your Nikon or was it safe to be around with such of valuable gears?

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for viewing.

At no time whatsoever did I / we feel at any risk of anything!  Some of the Friendliest people you could ever wish to meet.  Of course standard security measures should be taken when visiting any foreign Country but our experience was 100% positive.

Cheers, Mark.

pieces
pieces Regular Member • Posts: 164

I love the expression and mood of the "older" man on the donkey, its a beaut. I love the ? "donkey operator id" and the 2 spare cigars in the top pocket.

pieces's gear list:pieces's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
camerashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,503

A great set of images, Mark, love the cars and want to buy the donkey!!

looks like you are enjoying the D800, do you have a link to any more please.

Hope you and Family are all well.

Dave

-- hide signature --

pbase supporter at www.pbase.com/dav4184
for equipment see profile

camerashy's gear list:camerashy's gear list
Nikon D800
mothergoose
mothergoose Senior Member • Posts: 1,235

There's a lot to be said for having one lens with a wide focal range when traveling. If you fuss around with changing lenses too much you miss out on the enjoyment. Quite often you don't have the time anyway.

Nice shots. Gotta love the decor of the place--like the alligator on the piano.

The old man with the donkey for rent--what was he renting out? Donkey rides? Baggage/pack handling?

mothergoose's gear list:mothergoose's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +10 more
caspianm Senior Member • Posts: 2,410

Nice shots. I like them a lot.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +14 more

:-)pieces wrote:

I love the expression and mood of the "older" man on the donkey, its a beaut. I love the ? "donkey operator id" and the 2 spare cigars in the top pocket.

Thanks for looking.  The old guy with the Donkey is second best to the shot I wanted to get of the old Lady with a big fat Cuban Cigar on the go!  Just none around!

Cheers, Mark.

camerashy wrote:

A great set of images, Mark, love the cars and want to buy the donkey!!

looks like you are enjoying the D800, do you have a link to any more please.

Hope you and Family are all well.

Dave

Hi Dave,

All good here thanks, hope the same with you?

Yes the Cars are something else and very "Cuban" I feel.

First real outing with the D800 and have to say very pleased with what I am seeing in print (A3).  All detail seems to be lost when viewing here but when printed you do get the "wow" factor.  I was also very pleased with the performance of the 28-300.  No doubt I would have preffered to take my 24-70 and 70-200 but for flexibility / travel the 28-300 is great.

Still working on the rest so may post some more later.

All the best, Mark.

mothergoose wrote:

There's a lot to be said for having one lens with a wide focal range when traveling. If you fuss around with changing lenses too much you miss out on the enjoyment. Quite often you don't have the time anyway.

Nice shots. Gotta love the decor of the place--like the alligator on the piano.

The old man with the donkey for rent--what was he renting out? Donkey rides? Baggage/pack handling?

Thanks for looking.

Yep the 28-300 is a great 1 lens solution for travel.  There is a lot to be said for covering that range in a all in one.  As this was our Vacation, Photography was not our / my prime goal here but simply to record some memories (holiday snaps) and the 28-300 does that very well.

The old Man on a Donkey, well I am guessing he is renting out the photo oportunity as cost me a couple of Pesos.  Guess you can also go for a ride if desired but we passed on that!

Cuba is quite unique, Architecture, Landscape, the Cars of course but above all the people are some of the friendliest you may ever wish to meet and it is this that we will always remember.

Cheers, Mark

ugotvijay New Member • Posts: 17

winter1 wrote:

Just back from  2 weeks Vacation in Cuba.  Had a fantastic time and found the varied landscape, Wildlife and people very interesting (and above all very Friendly).

Below are a number of shots using the D800 and 28-300VR.  Went for convenience with this kit and found the 28-300vr to be the vesatile tool that it is.  No complaints from me re this kit!

Cheers, Mark.

Great shots! I'm particularly interested in these pics above. Did you have to do much PP on these two.....to get the detail on the bird and the building? I'm interested to see the SOOC image without any PP....do you mind sharing those, pls?

I shoot with a Canon 600D (T3i) and I have a feeling the sky would have blown out in the last shot (in my Canon), to get this much detail from the building....

ugotvijay wrote:

winter1 wrote:

Cheers, Mark.

Great shots! I'm particularly interested in these pics above. Did you have to do much PP on these two.....to get the detail on the bird and the building? I'm interested to see the SOOC image without any PP....do you mind sharing those, pls?

I shoot with a Canon 600D (T3i) and I have a feeling the sky would have blown out in the last shot (in my Canon), to get this much detail from the building....

Thanks for looking.

Not much pp at all on any of these.  All shot RAW and converted with Capture NX.  Minor adjustments and a very small amount of sharpen at the end.  Finish with a crop on the Bird shot which was taken in DX mode on the D800.  Here's the two shots out of Camera and simply converted to jpeg for viewing here (no further pp).  Worth noting Capture NX keeps all settings as in Camera at the time of shooting.  ADL (active D lighting) was set to Normal.  Picture setting Std.  Sharpness set to 5.

Cheers, Mark.

immanis Junior Member • Posts: 32

ugotvijay wrote:

Great shots! I'm particularly interested in these pics above. Did you have to do much PP on these two.....to get the detail on the bird and the building?

I don't think so. At least the one with the bird doesn't look processed at all, some cropping perhaps but thats about it. As for the building, is hard to tell for sure, but this last crop of Nikon cameras have an amazing DR and shots like that shouldn't be a problem at all.

immanis wrote:

ugotvijay wrote:

Great shots! I'm particularly interested in these pics above. Did you have to do much PP on these two.....to get the detail on the bird and the building?

I don't think so. At least the one with the bird doesn't look processed at all, some cropping perhaps but thats about it. As for the building, is hard to tell for sure, but this last crop of Nikon cameras have an amazing DR and shots like that shouldn't be a problem at all.

Hi,

You may have missed my reply in the post above re pp.  I have also posted the originals (RAW converted to jpg) without any pp / sooc.

Yes the D800 has amazing DR and ADL works very well in these type of shots.

Cheers, Mark. (Winter1)

M Lammerse
M Lammerse Forum Pro • Posts: 11,428

Hi Mark,

Wonderful images. Especially this one below is one of my favorites of your series. Love to see more if you have!

Michel

winter1 wrote:

Cheers, Mark.

-- hide signature --

- To observe without evaluation is the highest form of human intelligence -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05/ (my pixel mess on flikr)

immanis Junior Member • Posts: 32

Yep, sorry for that, is started the reply but in the middle of it my wife came calling for breakfast, I  noticed your reply only after posting my comment  lol

ugotvijay New Member • Posts: 17

winter1 wrote:

ugotvijay wrote:

winter1 wrote:

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks for looking.

Not much pp at all on any of these.  All shot RAW and converted with Capture NX.  Minor adjustments and a very small amount of sharpen at the end.  Finish with a crop on the Bird shot which was taken in DX mode on the D800.  Here's the two shots out of Camera and simply converted to jpeg for viewing here (no further pp).  Worth noting Capture NX keeps all settings as in Camera at the time of shooting.  ADL (active D lighting) was set to Normal.  Picture setting Std.  Sharpness set to 5.

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks for the reply, Mark. Looking forward to more of these great stuff!

immanis wrote:

Yep, sorry for that, is started the reply but in the middle of it my wife came calling for breakfast, I  noticed your reply only after posting my comment  lol

Not a problem my friend.

Kind regards, Mark.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads