How many of you here are waiting for the 6D?

Started Oct 21, 2012 | Discussions
nofumble Senior Member • Posts: 1,887
How many of you here are waiting for the 6D?

I know I am.

I am not paying full-price, but I am not sure how many months I want to wait.

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Digirame Forum Pro • Posts: 34,139
Re: How many of you here are waiting for the 6D?

At this point a crop camera (not full frame like the Canon 6D) suits my type of photography better.  If Canon offered the rumored 70D, that might be one I'd consider in a year or two.

leroyvanhee Senior Member • Posts: 1,828
Re: How many of you here are waiting for the 6D?

Me too., but I want to see how good the low light (low noise) improvement is. I already have lens that will work file on a full-frame. I need to tell my wife I want something really expensive so I can 'settle' for the 6D

Oilman
Oilman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,374
I am in no hurry
1

The 7D is a fantastic camera and does what I wnat it to do. My money will continue to be spent on lenses. I would really like a 600 mm prime. I just can't get over the sticker shock.

-- hide signature --

The first camera bag you buy is always too small
http://www.flickr.com/geofiz

 Oilman's gear list:Oilman's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +7 more
Dave Throgmartin
Dave Throgmartin Contributing Member • Posts: 871
Re: How many of you here are waiting for the 6D?

I'd love the 6D, but am not planning to make a move soon.

Dave

Edymagno Veteran Member • Posts: 3,347
Re: Waiting for the 6Di.

6D with a swivel screen.

Eduardo

 Edymagno's gear list:Edymagno's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6000 +1 more
Y0GI Veteran Member • Posts: 5,230
Re: I am in no hurry

Oilman wrote:

The 7D is a fantastic camera and does what I wnat it to do. My money will continue to be spent on lenses. I would really like a 600 mm prime. I just can't get over the sticker shock.

-- hide signature --

The first camera bag you buy is always too small
http://www.flickr.com/geofiz

I'm in the same boat as Oilman: Satisfied with my current kit.  I couldn't afford a new camera even if I wanted one anyway.

A 600 mm?  One can always dream!

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

 Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Jim222 Regular Member • Posts: 239
Re: How many of you here are waiting for the 6D?

I might spring if there is a very noticeable improvement in dynamic range. I think dynamic range improvements are more important than super low light performance. Holding more detail in the highlights and more detail in the shadows - more shades of grey - that would work for me.

Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,588
Re: I am in no hurry

Oilman wrote:

The 7D is a fantastic camera and does what I wnat it to do. My money will continue to be spent on lenses. I would really like a 600 mm prime. I just can't get over the sticker shock.

Ditto.  The *40D* is a fantastic camera and does what I want it to do.  I mostly have all the lenses I need, though I do lust for a "native" 400mm.  2x on my 70-200L is servicable, but not ideal.

Full frame 6D holds no appeal for me.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

 Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
leroyvanhee Senior Member • Posts: 1,828
Re: How many of you here are waiting for the 6D?

My issue with low light performance is not really about low light. My usual mode of operation is hand holding a 400mm telephoto.  Without a tripod I need a fast shutter speed. That usually translates into high ISO settings. With lower noise, I can use higher ISO settings without high noise.

Y0GI Veteran Member • Posts: 5,230
Re: How many of you here are waiting for the 6D?

leroyvanhee wrote:

My issue with low light performance is not really about low light. My usual mode of operation is hand holding a 400mm telephoto.  Without a tripod I need a fast shutter speed. That usually translates into high ISO settings. With lower noise, I can use higher ISO settings without high noise.

But if you go for the 6D, your 400 mm lens will "become" a 250 mm lens (effectively).  What will wifey say when you inform her that you also 'need' a 600 mm lens to go with the expensive new camera?

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

 Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
leroyvanhee Senior Member • Posts: 1,828
Or..

:-DY0GI wrote:

leroyvanhee wrote:

My issue with low light performance is not really about low light. My usual mode of operation is hand holding a 400mm telephoto.  Without a tripod I need a fast shutter speed. That usually translates into high ISO settings. With lower noise, I can use higher ISO settings without high noise.

But if you go for the 6D, your 400 mm lens will "become" a 250 mm lens (effectively).  What will wifey say when you inform her that you also 'need' a 600 mm lens to go with the expensive new camera?

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

I could use a doubler and get 800mm (500mm efectively).

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-2-0X-III-Telephoto/dp/B0040X4PV8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350940240&sr=1-2&keywords=canon+doubler

Y0GI Veteran Member • Posts: 5,230
Re: Or..

leroyvanhee wrote:

:-DY0GI wrote:

leroyvanhee wrote:

My issue with low light performance is not really about low light. My usual mode of operation is hand holding a 400mm telephoto.  Without a tripod I need a fast shutter speed. That usually translates into high ISO settings. With lower noise, I can use higher ISO settings without high noise.

But if you go for the 6D, your 400 mm lens will "become" a 250 mm lens (effectively).  What will wifey say when you inform her that you also 'need' a 600 mm lens to go with the expensive new camera?

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

I could use a doubler and get 800mm (500mm efectively).

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-2-0X-III-Telephoto/dp/B0040X4PV8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350940240&sr=1-2&keywords=canon+doubler

Are we talking about the 400mm f/5.6 or 400mm f/2.8, because that 'doubler' will make the 400mm f/5.6L into an 800mm f/11, and that will not AF on the 6D (Unless you use Live View, Live Mode AF).  The 400mm f/2.8 will become 800mm f/5.6 which 'should' AF normally on the 6D.

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

 Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
leroyvanhee Senior Member • Posts: 1,828
Re: Or..

Y0GI wrote:

leroyvanhee wrote:

:-DY0GI wrote:

leroyvanhee wrote:

My issue with low light performance is not really about low light. My usual mode of operation is hand holding a 400mm telephoto.  Without a tripod I need a fast shutter speed. That usually translates into high ISO settings. With lower noise, I can use higher ISO settings without high noise.

But if you go for the 6D, your 400 mm lens will "become" a 250 mm lens (effectively).  What will wifey say when you inform her that you also 'need' a 600 mm lens to go with the expensive new camera?

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

I could use a doubler and get 800mm (500mm efectively).

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-2-0X-III-Telephoto/dp/B0040X4PV8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350940240&sr=1-2&keywords=canon+doubler

Are we talking about the 400mm f/5.6 or 400mm f/2.8, because that 'doubler' will make the 400mm f/5.6L into an 800mm f/11, and that will not AF on the 6D (Unless you use Live View, Live Mode AF).  The 400mm f/2.8 will become 800mm f/5.6 which 'should' AF normally on the 6D.

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

It's f5.6 so I won't be doing that. Good to know.

Antonio_2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,861
Happy with 450D and 5d1

The 6D is interesting but not tempting enough to buy.

Actually I am quite happy with 450D for its portability and 5d1 (I bought used at < 1k) for its IQ that blows away any aps camera, especially when used with primes.

Unfortunately the 5d stays 80% of outing at home because is heavy (almost 2x 450d) and require ext. flash, so until Canon make a sort of FF rebel (possibly with ef-s compatibility and builtin flash) i have really  no reason to buy another camera with fanstastic IQ that stays most of the time at home because it's not travel/hike friendly

There has been a lot of competition and innovation recently, so I feel new revolutionary and more affordable  FF cameras might come out. I can wait and be happy with my current setup.

VincentWSLim Forum Member • Posts: 69
Re: How many of you here are waiting for the 6D?

nofumble wrote:

I know I am.

I am not paying full-price, but I am not sure how many months I want to wait.

Nope.. not me.  I am trying to dump my 600D and family of lens to move over to Nikon.  the 6D is the SECOND bad business decision they made this year.  First the EOS-M that is barely competitive against the M43 and now the 6D, later and lower specs than Nikon D600 and likely for the same price.

They are so worried about protecting their ricebowl until that they broke their own ricebowl by ignoring us customers. :-X

 VincentWSLim's gear list:VincentWSLim's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Canon EOS 600D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic G85 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +9 more
OP nofumble Senior Member • Posts: 1,887
Re: How many of you here are waiting for the 6D?

The grass is always greener ...

Albert Silver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,312
Wish list for 6D: silent shooting

nofumble wrote:

The grass is always greener ...

It is not actually that green. When the Nikon D600 came out, I admit I was envious after seeing their DXO scores. Still, if you read the forums, the camera has a major issue of oil and dust, due to design issues. According to LensRental, the shutter gap is a bit wider thus dust gets in on one area very fast and all the time. According to Nikon, the 30+ oil spots appearing on their sensors are due to some issue with the mirror, and people are seeing the 30+ spots reappear after less than 1000 shots.

Is Canon perfect in comparison? Nah. Each have their issues, but clearly nor is Nikon. I find the prospect of the FF 6D actually quite attractive frankly, and two things stick out to me:

1) size/weight. No one has made any issue on this, but for long-term usability/portability this could be huge.

2) Sensor obviously, and though I'd be fairly shocked if it produced any DXO records, I do expect it to be closer to the 5D3 than the 7D.

One thing that would almost guarantee make it a best-seller though IMHO would be if they included the silent shooting of the 5D3, even with an inferior sensor. I may not be able to make myself invisible while covering events, but I sure wish I could muffle that shutter sound.

A FF combination of small AND silent... I'd be saving pennies for that.

 Albert Silver's gear list:Albert Silver's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Kevin C Ross
Kevin C Ross Regular Member • Posts: 476
Re: Wish list for 6D: silent shooting

Albert Silver wrote:

One thing that would almost guarantee make it a best-seller though IMHO would be if they included the silent shooting of the 5D3, even with an inferior sensor. I may not be able to make myself invisible while covering events, but I sure wish I could muffle that shutter sound.

A FF combination of small AND silent... I'd be saving pennies for that.

According to the DPreview preview here: http://forums.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/

It does include silent shooting.

 Kevin C Ross's gear list:Kevin C Ross's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM +4 more
Kevin C Ross
Kevin C Ross Regular Member • Posts: 476
Re: How many of you here are waiting for the 6D?

Y0GI wrote:

leroyvanhee wrote:

My issue with low light performance is not really about low light. My usual mode of operation is hand holding a 400mm telephoto. Without a tripod I need a fast shutter speed. That usually translates into high ISO settings. With lower noise, I can use higher ISO settings without high noise.

But if you go for the 6D, your 400 mm lens will "become" a 250 mm lens (effectively). What will wifey say when you inform her that you also 'need' a 600 mm lens to go with the expensive new camera?

Instead of letting the sensor crop for you, you can always crop in software to match the 1.6x of the cropped sensor.  Now you're back to 400mm.

Sure you're throwing away pixels by doing this, but you're going from a 18 MP sensor to a 20 MP sensor, so that will offset it somewhat.  If you're coming from one of the older 12 MP or 15 MP Rebels, then you can crop and still gain pixels.

 Kevin C Ross's gear list:Kevin C Ross's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads