Is sony Alpha DSLT/DSLR the right platform for learning photography and growth?

Started Oct 21, 2012 | Questions
sensibill
sensibill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,401
Re: Is sony Alpha DSLT/DSLR the right platform for learning photography and growth?

Maxeyesore wrote:

Is it a coincidence that nearly all the replies here are FOR sony? Take it for what its worth Mr Cool, check other forums and do web searches.

I've owned Canon, Nikon, Samsung, Olympus, Panasonic, etc. - there's no reason to doubt what's been said here. Solid advice, no outright advocacy or bashing of the other brands.

I have a long history with this forum and if you disagree with them, all you get is insults.

One wonders WHY you have a 'long history'. I was highly skeptical of the SLT and never liked the NEX myself, but did I troll this forum like you do? No. So the fanboy agenda here is all you, man. Only that mentality thinks they have something to prove by starting arguments in the forum of a brand they dislike.

Just today I read Nord say he lost a $1300 a77 due to shooting too long in the rain. If you want the best per dollar photo quality, go pentax or nikon.

If you need weather sealing. That isn't automatically the sign of superior 'photo quality'.

Which you choose is up to you, check everything you can find from as many sources as you can find. Anybody who tells you to trust them and ignore others is a fanboy with an agenda.

I think you're the only fanboy with an agenda here.

My only personal advice is, if you do choose the a57 as you seem to be leaning towards, hold off on buying a slew of lenses until you know this is the system you want to stay with.

Minolta AF lenses like the Beercan and 50mm 1.7 can be had cheaply enough. Just those two lenses right there plus a kit or 28mm gives plenty of range and excellent image performance.

You really aren't helping anyone here, just proving what others are saying about you already...

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha a7 II
phaedin
phaedin Senior Member • Posts: 1,619
Re: Is sony Alpha DSLT/DSLR the right platform for learning photography and growth?

I got my A57 about 6 months ago.

The biggest problem you may encounter, as far as lenses and accessories, is that your local camera shops may not have them on-site for you to test. whereas they do have Nikon and Canon lenses on-site.

I like the A57, as I can see what affect changing the settings has BEFORE I take a shot. I think I have been able to pick up the basic concepts (ISO, aperture and shutter speed) easier because I can change them and see the affect in real time and have feedback if I am changing the settings the correct way

In fact I have turned off the 2 sec review so that I can take shots faster if I need to, because I know before I press the shutter button if the shot will be over or under exposed - the only thing I really need to check is if I got the focus correct.

whatever camera you decide to go with, I am sure you will be happy with it

phaedin's gear list:phaedin's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR
AMM66 Regular Member • Posts: 134

I switched from P&S to the a33 and now am a happy owner of the a57.  They have been very satisfactory cameras to learn on and I have plenty of lens options.  Others who have replied to you have shared some very good points/thoughts.  I just wanted to say that my personal experience of making the transition has been good and with no regrets.  Well, if I had it to do over again I would have bought the a55 instead of the a33.

jjk58 Forum Member • Posts: 75
lens/stabilization/rental/school

a few items: (adding to comments already stated)

About the only time I can think of that having sony may be a disadvantage is if you were enrolled in a photo school.  I was at visiting RIT over the weekend and didn't get a chance to check out the photo cage to see what I could borrow.  I would guess that nikon and canon would be the 35mm/dslr choice.

-- hide signature --

Otherwise you can rent Sony lenses that you may not have and want to try.

A reminder that Sony is the sibling of Minolta which means there is equipment out there...

--

If stabilization is important to you, EVERY lens you have will be stabilized.  You will NOT have to pay extra so C or N for that feature.

==

RIT=Rochester Institute of Technology

joe

--
jkagenski.smugmug.com

jjk58's gear list:jjk58's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II +1 more
George Evans Senior Member • Posts: 1,591

Ash, my first camera was the Sony F717 with an EVF and you will find it easier and quicker to learn photography by using the A57 with an EVF.

A friend new to photography asked me to help him understand his new camera which had an OVF and to take better photos and it was easier to show him the basics of photography and how to shoot in manual using my A77.

Because WYSIWYG I was able to show him via the LCD how to read a live histogram, to understand the EV scale and the effect that changes made to ISO, aperture and shutter speeds had on it and the image before pressing the shutter. When you can see the effect of the changes you're making to a camera live then you will learn photography quicker.

I started with cheap Minolta lenses backed up with Tamron and Sigma and have now added the cheap and very sharp Samyang 8mm fisheye (manual only) lens to my bag. I'm planning to buy the Samyang 10mm UWA (manual only) lens when it's released in the new year. On an SLT camera they're easy to use. With old cheap Minolta lenses and third party lenses you won't go short of the right lens for a Sony SLT.

There are 40 members of our photo society and two of us use the Sony A77. We have a bit of fun at times winding up the Canikon owners, guest speakers and judges, but when I'm taking photos at club meetings for the blog and talk them through the Sony A77 features they don't laugh. The Sony SLT is not inferior to any other camera brand.

Good luck with your choice.

George Evans
www.wirralpix.com

OP MrCool77 Junior Member • Posts: 44

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful responses.

While i am convinced on Sony now, I am still deciding the right camera and due to a deal i am getting a77 at just 250 USD more than a57. I am getting tempted about A77 now and wanted to know your thoughts on the same.

i have raised this as a separate thread here http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3289021 as well.

i will look forward to your opinion.

Thanks

Ash

MrCool77's gear list:MrCool77's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a6000 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +1 more
rickztahone
rickztahone Contributing Member • Posts: 527

MrCool77 wrote:

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful responses.

While i am convinced on Sony now, I am still deciding the right camera and due to a deal i am getting a77 at just 250 USD more than a57. I am getting tempted about A77 now and wanted to know your thoughts on the same.

i have raised this as a separate thread here http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3289021 as well.

i will look forward to your opinion.

Thanks

Ash

As an entry level photographer you honestly can not go wrong w/ either the a57 or a77. Add a Sony 16-50 2.8 & Tam 70-300 and you can cover almost all of your basic shooting styles. If you change your mind you can always sell most of these items for a small loss.

rickztahone's gear list:rickztahone's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +19 more
OP MrCool77 Junior Member • Posts: 44

Finally got my A57 added a few first pics here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50186242

Thanks everyone for your help.

MrCool77's gear list:MrCool77's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a6000 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +1 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 32,233
Agreed(nt)
-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony RX10 III +9 more
AlNikon New Member • Posts: 10
Re: As a Nikon Shooter

I have to agree totally here. As a Nikon owner myself (D600), I see a lot of good goings on in the Sony DSLR lineup, especially the new @99. It actually has a little in common with the D600, I believe from what I've been reading. I am no pro at photography and I was introduced to Nikon (of that I am happy) but I am never too blind to not keep an eye open on other camera brands,, not to keep an eye on the opposition and stay one-eyed towards them, but to see if there is potentially anything worth owning in the future or even the present.

Sony's new @99 is certainly a camera that has caught my eye and I had looked at the possbility of owning one just before I bought the D600. It just so happened that the D600 showed up a lot earlier than the @99 so it was the one I bought. I'm not suggesting that the @99 and the D600 should be compared for which is the best for me and my sort, as I am not interested in that. I am saying that for many of us, photography is a hobby in which many of us seem to think we are the best at, when infact most of us probably couldn't take advantage of what most high end DSLR's have to offer. It's amazing how many EXPERTS there are in the world of photography. Don't count me in with them. I'd be quite happy with a @99, I'm sure. The only other thing that may have made me scratch my head with the @99 is the availability of lenses for them. I don't see anywhere as many Sony lenses around compared to the big two and even with me and my learning cuve, I have learned the importance of good lenses and having many to choose from.

To be honest, I'd love to try an @99 out... I'd also love to try a Canon 6D but I have a D600 and that's what I have to live with - happily so far...!!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads