Impressed with the Epson Stylus Pro 3880

Started Oct 20, 2012 | Discussions
tomnorth
tomnorth Contributing Member • Posts: 866
Impressed with the Epson Stylus Pro 3880

After reading online reviews from actual users I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my printer to the Epson Stylus Pro 3880. I had been using the Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II. The only reason I upgraded was to be able to print larger. I must say I'm pretty impressed with how quickly I have been able to start making prints that match my monitor, which I do keep profiled using a Color Munki Photo. I am finding that the color gamut of the 3880 is much larger than my Canon printer. I especially notice this when printing to photo rag paper. So far I have only been using the profiles provided by Epson and Hahnemuhle. Eventually I will try creating my own using the Color Munki to see what the difference is. Anyway, so far I am quite impressed with the Epson Stylus Pro 3880.

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +5 more
SaltLakeGuy
SaltLakeGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 13,816
Re: Impressed with the Epson Stylus Pro 3880

I concur completely. I've had mine now for 2 years and can't give it enough praise for it's output. It continues to deliver output true to what I see on my calibrated screen and processed in Lightroom 4. I tend to stick with the "Pearl" or "Luster" papers but also do some on glossy and it is simply wonderful Always gets comments from others I'm doing paid projects for. I'm also finding with it's coated heads I don't get the clogs that used to be associated with Epson's over the years. Even if it sits with the power off for months at at time. Very glad I got it when I did.

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +8 more
fft81 Contributing Member • Posts: 945

Epson 3880... Have it; Love it. I just wish it was easier to feed canvas into it. I live in FL, so due to humidity clogs are not an issue; but i hear that 3880 has best clog performance of epson printers. I print mostly 17x or 4x6 / 5x7.

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 8,705

the 38xx isn't really designed to feed canvas but there are number of workarounds, the most popular being to tape a paper leader onto the canvas to get the feed started.

Gerry Kiely
Gerry Kiely New Member • Posts: 16

Tom,

I agree the 3880 is a great machine. You should consider tying the Canson Infinity Rag Photographique. You can download the custom ICC profile at the website: www.canson-infinity.com

-- hide signature --

Gerard Kiely

Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 8,327
Comments about the 3880, R3000 and R2880

for anyone who doesn't need a 17 inch wide printer.

First, the 3880 is a great printer, but so are the R3000 and R2880.  All 3 printers use the same identical VM K3 ink set, have the same print head anti-clogging coating.

If you print the same identical photo on all 3 printers you will get the same identical print.

So yes the 3880 is a fabulous printer, but if you can't afford one, the R2880 at about $500 will give you the same print IQ.

Bob P.

danstern
danstern Regular Member • Posts: 251
Re: Comments about the 3880, R3000 and R2880

Petruska wrote:

for anyone who doesn't need a 17 inch wide printer.

First, the 3880 is a great printer, but so are the R3000 and R2880.  All 3 printers use the same identical VM K3 ink set, have the same print head anti-clogging coating.

If you print the same identical photo on all 3 printers you will get the same identical print.

So yes the 3880 is a fabulous printer, but if you can't afford one, the R2880 at about $500 will give you the same print IQ.

Bob P.

Bob- Thats great feedback and insight on the 3000/2880.... thanks-dan

Rkelac Regular Member • Posts: 466

Bob, what are the important differences between them. Why have two 13 inch printers?

Rkelac's gear list:Rkelac's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6
Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 8,327
Well the R2880 is an older design...

R2880....

1.  Manual cartridge switching between PK and MK blacks.

2.  Smaller capacity cartridges (but more reasonable cost for most owners).

3.  Slightly smaller overall size.

4.  No Wi-Fi connection.

R3000

1.  Auto switching between PK and MK blacks, both cartridges are always installed.

2.  Larger capacity cartridges, less changing and less purging of ink.

3.  Includes Wi-Fi connection.

Both can....

1.  Use roll paper.

2.  Print CD\DVDs.

3.  Easy to use refillable cartridges and 3rd party inks.

I'm sure that the R2880 will disappear in the near future as the R3000 is basically its replacement.

Bob P.

tomnorth
OP tomnorth Contributing Member • Posts: 866

Gerry Kiely wrote:

Tom,

I agree the 3880 is a great machine. You should consider tying the Canson Infinity Rag Photographique. You can download the custom ICC profile at the website: www.canson-infinity.com

-- hide signature --

Gerard Kiely

How does this compare to Hahnemuhle Photo Rag?

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +5 more
Macgupta Regular Member • Posts: 134
Re: Well the R2880 is an older design...

How long does Epson continue to support a discontinued printer?

Hugowolf Forum Pro • Posts: 12,674

tomnorth wrote:

Gerry Kiely wrote:

Tom,

How does this compare to Hahnemuhle Photo Rag?

It isn't as prone to recurling and doesn't muddy up dark greens. It is in my opinion better for color than the Hahnemühle paper. The surface texture is similar as is the paper white, but the Canson paper doesn't contain OBAs, although the OBA content of the Hahnemühle is quite low. dMax is also similar.

I notice that in Europe the Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308 is now available as deckle edged sheets (deckled on all four edges), but I haven't seen these in the US.

Brian A

kcbeatty Senior Member • Posts: 1,761

I'm on the fence about choosing between the 3880 and the 3000.  I'm just getting back into marketing my nature and wildlife pictures.  I don't know if the bigger size images will have a better market than the 13" images.  There is a difference of about 400.00 between the 2 printers.  So as a business expense goes this is not a big issue.  I have an R1800 currently but sometimes it gives me fits with clearing a clog. I think a backup printer would be a smart move. The 3000 would be better to have if I start selling Pano's.  It's a tough decision.

-- hide signature --

I wise man once told me that "Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect "
Kevin

Merlijn53 New Member • Posts: 24

I bought the 3880 a few months ago. about €400 more expensive than the R3000, but when you take the price of the ink in account it's easy. It's about 3x as much ink for about 2x the price, so with the initial set of ink included, there is no price difference (to get the same amount of ink, you have to buy 2 extra sets of €200 for the R3000) and after the next complete set, the 3880 is cheaper. and than you have the possibillity to print A2.

regards,

Frank

Hugowolf Forum Pro • Posts: 12,674

kcbeatty wrote:

... The 3000 would be better to have if I start selling Pano's. It's a tough decision.

I think the Epson r3000 is limited to a maximum print size of 13 x 44 inches. With the 3880, you can print 13 x 37 inches. You would have to cut from a 13 inch roll, or a 24 x 36 inch sheet, but that isn't a big deal if you have a paper trimmer. And you also have the possiblity of 17 x 37 inches.

Brian A

kcbeatty Senior Member • Posts: 1,761

Hugowolf wrote:

kcbeatty wrote:

... The 3000 would be better to have if I start selling Pano's. It's a tough decision.

I think the Epson r3000 is limited to a maximum print size of 13 x 44 inches. With the 3880, you can print 13 x 37 inches. You would have to cut from a 13 inch roll, or a 24 x 36 inch sheet, but that isn't a big deal if you have a paper trimmer. And you also have the possiblity of 17 x 37 inches.

Brian A

Thanks Brian and Frank.  Those are some good points that might help me decide.

-- hide signature --

I wise man once told me that "Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect "
Kevin

Tom-C Senior Member • Posts: 1,237

Hugowolf wrote:

kcbeatty wrote:

I think the Epson r3000 is limited to a maximum print size of 13 x 44 inches.

Actually, the R3000 can print up to 13x129 inches. At least with the Windows driver. The Mac driver is less, perhaps 90" or so.

Tom

Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Tom-C Senior Member • Posts: 1,237

Macgupta wrote:

How long does Epson continue to support a discontinued printer?

Depends on your definition of support. I can still get ink for my 7 or 8 year old R2400. But I suspect repair parts might be hard to get.

Tom

Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
irvweiner Contributing Member • Posts: 705

Search the posts on this forum for 3rd party refillable systems, there are 3-4 reliable vendors listed and recommended. Your refill cost for an 80 ml size cart will vary from $9-14 depending on vendor.

My print quality equals or exceeds the OEM results, my clog factor has been limited to nozzle checks or printing a color bar print for purging.

The 3880 has been a A+ performer since its turn-on 2 yrs ago!

enjoy irv weiner

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads