Sony RX100 Sensor Dust Blob at F11 (photo "blue sky" tests)

Started Oct 18, 2012 | Discussions
carlgt1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,152
Sony RX100 Sensor Dust Blob at F11 (photo "blue sky" tests)

Sony does seem to have a predeliction for sensor dust - this is a basically brand new camera.  While it's not horrible, ie I probably will avoid f11 anyway due to diffraction, and I can't see anything at f5.6.  Although it is a little annoying that my brand new camera ships with so much dust (and there's no way to clean it).

I had this problem with my NEX-7 which seemed to be a sensor dust magnet and I was so disgusted I threw it off a cliff in southern California; after a day of shooting and careful lens changing and I had 100 pictures of the beautiful coast with "blue blobs"!

The first pic is f5.6, where I can't notice anything, but stop down to f11 and you see a sensor dust blob (second two pics)

f5.6:

at f5.6 seems all clear

f11 note sensor blob upper right (probably speck of dust or oil on sensor)

another look at the f11 sensor blob

carlgt1's gear list:carlgt1's gear list
Sony RX100 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RM3 Regular Member • Posts: 113
Re: Sony RX100 Sensor Dust Blob at F11 (photo "blue sky" tests)

I think your only solution is to throw this one off a cliff also!!! if you decide to do that route can you post the date and time on here so one of us can stand below and catch it? 

RM3's gear list:RM3's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max
DWMurf
DWMurf Senior Member • Posts: 1,249

I share in your frustration. The "UFO" (for unwanted foreign object I suppose) marks the dark spot I was getting in all the telephoto shots from my HX30V. I was trying to get attention to it from Sony Support, but did far better with Amazon who sent me a replacement by overnight delivery.

I had been very careful about keeping the camera in a dust-free case in my pocket. I think something blew into the camera lens while photographing on a windy beach.

I don't know what the answer is. I was thinking a changeable lens camera would allow me to clean out the dust, but based on your experience I don't want to end up throwing it off a cliff.

-- hide signature --

David

DWMurf's gear list:DWMurf's gear list
Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Utltimate Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +39 more
OP carlgt1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,152

yeah, it's a tough compromise - but I can live with avoiding high f-stops on bright open scenes ie with a lot of blue sky.  I think it's just always going to happen with these "built-in lenses" that are zooms as they will eventually bring in dust, and eventually some may make it's way past the shutter to the sensor.  And there's no easy way to clean ie no way to remove the lens or get to the sensor without major disassembly.

But on the other side, I found the mirrorless design of the Sony NEX series awful for dust - sure you can take the lenses off but it seems without a mirror to block things, even carefully changing lenses I had a hell of a lot of dust on the sensor.  The best camera I've had so far with sensor dust prevention/cleaning has been a Pentax K5 DSLR (with mirror - plus the Pentax "sensor shaking" or whatever seemed to do an incredible job cleaning the sensor).

I guess (hope) by the time the RX100 has much more dust in it there will be a "next best thing" camera I'll pick up anyway!

carlgt1's gear list:carlgt1's gear list
Sony RX100 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
IceBrkr Regular Member • Posts: 198

I had a dust blob on a new RX100, also visible at F11, and sony was great about exchanging it. It seems that the issue is not with dust in the lens, but rather on/near the sensor itself. If that's the case, it might make sense to add a sensor-cleaning feature, like most SLRs have these days...

Hoping the new one will stay dust free for a bit.

Liz Z.
Liz Z. Senior Member • Posts: 1,273

I sent mine back to Sony when I found some kind of speck inside the lens, which they repaired (they called it a "point in lens" [??]). It doesn't seem quite right that your camera can't be used at f11 w/o displaying a blob. You're showing more equanimity than I did!

-- hide signature --

Liz

Liz Z.'s gear list:Liz Z.'s gear list
Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Apple iPhone 13 Pro +1 more
mikekiwimike Junior Member • Posts: 36

Wow, that is just horrible! Just stick to taking photos of brick walls!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads