D600 v's D3x

Started Oct 18, 2012 | Discussions
Zvonko
Zvonko Regular Member • Posts: 341
D600 v's D3x

why would anyone buya D3x now... not at the price difference surely the new camera is the winner??

Zvonko's gear list:Zvonko's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +14 more
Nikon D3X Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Zardoz
Zardoz Senior Member • Posts: 1,249
Re: D600 v's D3x

Hey bro,

Pro body, dual CF, full size grip.

Karld70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,553
if you don't know

Zvonko wrote:

why would anyone buya D3x now... not at the price difference surely the new camera is the winner??

Then the D3x is certainly not the camera you need.  the D600 looks like a good camera, but it does not replace the D3x

Zvonko
OP Zvonko Regular Member • Posts: 341
Re: if you don't know

I understand the difference... but not for the price. I can still use my D300, D700 and D2hs for my needs. I was thinking about the pixels and the ISO support. The price difference her is 7K.

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 21,060

You've obviously never held or used a D3X

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 +16 more
chipmaster
chipmaster Senior Member • Posts: 2,823

Zvonko wrote:

For those that only care about the sensor there is a lot to like about the D600, for others where body build and ergo trumps the superior sensor maybe not so much.

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D5 Nikon D810 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +20 more
Riker D
Riker D Contributing Member • Posts: 809

Different needs for different folks. If all you are after is the image quality that 24mp will give you and you don't need high speed, tank build and enjoy the agility of a smaller camera the the D600 should meet your expections.

The D600 does not have the build quality of the D3/4 cams but if you shoot less than 10/20,000 pics a year who cares if the D600 build is not as good. Mined you the D600 is not a junk build either and does provide some weather sealing and some metal chasis. Provided you don't subject the cam to harsh use ALL the time it should give you good service for many years. So say in about 5 years of use you most likely be moving to a newer upgraded model anyway.

It could be that the D600 having later technolgy could prove to have better IQ that the D3X? The verdict is not in yet on that one and only time will tell.

-- hide signature --

Photo eye

Riker D's gear list:Riker D's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony a7R +6 more
Zvonko

Dave Luttmann wrote:

thanks Dave, I've used the F5, D2hs, sold the D1x and D2x... why bother?

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 21,060

Zvonko wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

thanks Dave, I've used the F5, D2hs, sold the D1x and D2x... why bother?

If you've used those cameras, then you should understand.  I still use an F5 and just bought a D2x because the experience with it is very different from my D700.  And at 100-400 iso, where I reside, it's IQ is as good as the d700.

Sonetimes the experience of using the camera is as inportant as the end result.  sorry if i soubded harsh, but if you've had those other nikon pro bodies,  I cant even see why you'd need to ask.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 +16 more
Zvonko

it's fine Dave, no issue in any regard but I feel my point is valid.

I've considered the D3s and D4 recently but even those cameras are around 5-6K give or take a few bucks.

With the D800 and the D600 out I just think it's a little rude of Nikon to make the difference in price so large. The D3x hasn't come down in any way price wise. I just think it should.

I'm talking about 7K. I can't beleive no-one can see it.

Zvonko wrote:

I've considered the D3s and D4 recently but even those cameras are around 5-6K give or take a few bucks.

With the D800 and the D600 out I just think it's a little rude of Nikon to make the difference in price so large. The D3x hasn't come down in any way price wise. I just think it should.

you mention a D800 now, that is a little different, that is a least approaching the D3x as far as capability.  Before you were talking about the D600 and D3x only.

I still don't see your point.  You are asking why would anyone buy a D3x over a D600.  The simple answer (and I will not go into a long laundry list of differences)

D600= least expensive with least feature set FX model

D3x = true full size pro camera with all of the features.

It's not about the sensor, it's the whole camera.  It's like asking why would anyone buy a D300s over a D3100.

Luke Kaven Veteran Member • Posts: 5,705

Zvonko wrote:

I don't think anyone in their right mind would pay $8k for a D3x.  But if it were available for $3k used and clean, I feel it would be worth it.  This coming from someone who had one, sold it, and kind of regrets it.

Zvonko

Karld70 wrote:

Zvonko wrote:

you mention a D800 now, that is a little different, that is a least approaching the D3x as far as capability.  Before you were talking about the D600 and D3x only.

I still don't see your point.  You are asking why would anyone buy a D3x over a D600.  The simple answer (and I will not go into a long laundry list of differences)

It's not about the sensor, it's the whole camera.  It's like asking why would anyone buy a D300s over a D3100.

sorry, my point is that the D3x is 9K...why?

PatFahey Regular Member • Posts: 453

Zvonko wrote:

Because in the right hands it is capable of producing better IQ than any DSLR ever made.

-Pat

Zardoz
Zardoz Senior Member • Posts: 1,249

Hey bro,

No.

van Ark Forum Member • Posts: 87

PatFahey wrote:

Zvonko wrote:

Because in the right hands it is capable of producing better IQ than any DSLR ever made.

-Pat

So can the D600
I think I understand the OP.
The D3X should fall in price - arguing that its a pro body - is valid.
But you shouldnt pay that much extra for a pro body.. A D3 is of the same build, and a lot cheaper.
And the Sensor in the D3X isnt that unique any longer.
Best Regards.

marcio_napoli Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

Just a different aprouch to the common answers...

Now you have a camera that has endured the test of time.

Unlike cameras before its generation (when passage of time would reveal or amplify its shortcomings), the D3X is a near perfect machine.

The sensor is fine by any standard you might have, resolution, DR, noise wise.

The body itself is second to none, matched only by other D# series cameras.

It's as reliable as it gets (and that's enough for most pros to prefer the D3X over the D800 and D600).

AF? Among the best.

There you have it. A near flawless camera.

Everyone here whines all the time how digital gear drops its value like a rock. Right?

And when you finally see a camera that holds its value, you say it shouldn't?

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

glo Senior Member • Posts: 1,752

amen!

glo's gear list:glo's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Nikon D3X Nikon D810 Nikon D4S Nikon D750 +27 more

Zvonko wrote:

Karld70 wrote:

Zvonko wrote:

It's Nikon's only true high res /full pro body/.  It's still not dated after 4 years.  Why would the price drop if it is still selling well?  I guess not everyone thinks the D600 is just as good as you feel

showmetheprime
showmetheprime Regular Member • Posts: 193
Re: I'd still buy the D3X over the D600 any day

Zvonko wrote:

The D600 is definitely not a pro body

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads