The Olympus 75mm, tell me why I "need" it.

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions
LPMILLER
LPMILLER Forum Member • Posts: 56
The Olympus 75mm, tell me why I "need" it.

I've been through numerous threads here regarding the Olympus "must have" primes, the 12, 40 and 75.  I must confess that I am a tried and true addict of zoom lenses as I find the versatility of them to be so useful and adaptable for any given situation.  I have had primes before, 50 mm macros and my first tele lens was a 135.  The only prime that I have very fond memories of, prior to shooting digital, was the Nikon AF DC-Nikkor 105mm f/2D.  This lens was absolutely gorgeous and the images it produced were of equal quality.  I utilized this lens for a lot of natural light shooting, portraits and weddings, and even landscapes, it was actually a pretty versatile lens.

I don't actually shoot a lot of ultra wide stuff, and, if I wish to use it, have the four thirds 14-35 f2 SWD at my disposal, so the 12mm doesn't have any siren call for me.  But I keep coming back to the other two after hearing so many glowing reports here and on other forums.  I'd like to hear some feedback from anyone on here who's had experience with the 75, and yes, the 45 as well, but I'm leaning in the 75 direction. Tell me why I "need" this lens.

cheers,

Lorne Miller

LPMILLER's gear list:LPMILLER's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +5 more
Boris
Boris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,257
Re: The Olympus 75mm, tell me why I "need" it.

Everything I shoot (DX/FX) is within the 50mm-135mm focal length. I have the Pentax 77f1.8, Nikkor 135f2dc, 85f1.4 and the new AFS 85mmf1.8G. For Canon 85mm f1.8 and 135f2L and for M4/3 the Oly 45mmf1.8 (a very,very good lens) and the Oly 12mm f2 (good lens but I rarely use) so for my type of shooting the 75mmf1.8 will fit right in. But I don`t need it... except I keep telling myself I miss too many shots manual focussing the Pentax 77f1.8...so looks like I need it!

Boris

Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II +41 more
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

I would say spend your money how ever your want to.  Its your photography and its subjective.  If money is burning a hole in your pocket and you want it buy it.

At the same time do you need any accessories, better tripod or flash. Will it improve what you do and will it make another lens obsolete.  I sold my Panasonic 20 1.7 for the 25 1.4, much better lens.  I wanted a macro & portrait length lens so the Panasonic 45 2.8 was the better choice.

tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 27,614
You don't........

what you need is a 52-55mm legacy lens and an adapter.  That is the ideal portrait focal lenght for indoor work;  75mm is a bit too long to use indoors, and a bit too short to use outdoors.  90mm is better for that.    75mm (140mm FF equivalent) is a bit of an odd focal lenght.   Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +8 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 13,824

Both the Olympus 45 and 75 are excellent lenses.  I love mine.  Still I am finding myself  using the 60 macro more than the 45 and 75 for portraits and general photos.  Still it is nice to have prime lenses faster than f2.8 for low light and isolation of the subject.  Both the 45 and 75 does this really well.  The faster Panasonic 25/1.4 can also do this.

When I finally buy the Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 lenses I will keep the Panasonic 25/1.4 for low light and the Olympus 60 macro for macros.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
phototransformations
phototransformations Senior Member • Posts: 2,846

The 75 doesn't call to me in any particular way as I seldom shoot at 150mm equivalent, so I can't help you justify buying it. But I can say that the 45 is a lovely little lens with great sharpness and bokeh and a big improvement over the manual focus legacy lenses I was previously using as portrait lenses, particularly wide open. And it can autofocus on a moving subject's eyes a lot faster than I can manually focus on the same subject. I mostly shoot with zooms, too, as I mostly shoot when I'm out an about during daylight and like the flexibility of zooms, but for doing portraits indoors the 45 is nice.

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +25 more
Iskender
Iskender Senior Member • Posts: 1,328

There are two real problems with the 75mm:

• The focal length.
  • The lack of a lens hood or anything else than caps.

Some would argue price is a problem too but you get what you pay for.

You appear to be prepared for the focal length, so the greatest problem is eliminated. As for the lens hood, I recommend not giving Olympus money for their ridiculous omission of it on a luxury lens: to add insult to injury their hoods have been hard to find at times. Do a search for 'olympus 75mm hood' and you'll find better options.

That being said, I hope you have fun with this lens. Some testers say it is the best there is, and there is no shortage of nice images.

Midnighter Senior Member • Posts: 1,727

Well, I used to use a 135mm f2 (full frame) for tight stage work, but 150mm (75mm four thirds) would have been a tad too long for that and too short anything else.

pinnacle Senior Member • Posts: 2,545

If you truly do a lot of portraits, get the lens and be done with the decision. I have the 45 and the 75. The combo is simply magic in a bottle. If you add the 25 Leica DG, even better.

Dan

-- hide signature --

Life is good.

pinnacle's gear list:pinnacle's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
jcharding Senior Member • Posts: 2,467

You don't need any lens.  The 75mm shows up on must have lists because of its optical quality.  That doesn't mean you need it.

-- hide signature --
 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
RStyga
RStyga Regular Member • Posts: 298

Hi Miller,

Keep in mind that the 75mm costs 3x the 45mm and it a telephoto lens; the 45mm is a mild telephoto lens, much smaller and lighter, and with exceptional optical performance.

howardfuhrman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,126

Lorne,

If you have to ask the question, you do not need it.  Save your money.

dcassat
dcassat Senior Member • Posts: 1,235

If you want the finest lens you can buy for micro four-thirds and you have a use for this focal length for landscapes or longer portraits then you should buy it.   It is the sharpest, most consistent lens across the frame at f5.6 -ff8.0.  The 45mm, while not quite as sharp (by a small margin), also has this same consistent performance at these fstops.

Those are the facts, I'll leave the subjective argument to others.

-- hide signature --

Dan

dcassat's gear list:dcassat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +8 more
grapher
grapher Senior Member • Posts: 1,119
I knew I needed it

I had the Pentax MX with the Pentax M 150/3.5 during the 80s, and I would have bought any halfway decent 75/1.8 due to me experience with that combo. As it turns out, it is an excellent lens and even better than the Pentax ever was. The same applies to the 45/1.8, much better than my ancient Pentax M 85/2.0.

Some snaps wide open:

grapher's gear list:grapher's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
eques Veteran Member • Posts: 3,469
No, you don't........

In a way, I agree - once you start using prime lenses you need so much time changing them every two minutes or so, you can as well use all manual lenses too. - Peter

P.S I begin to think about getting 2 bodies for 3 prime lenses, thus avoiding some lens changing hassel and gain speed. But what lenses this will be (pana or Oly) depends on who will produce the better built in EVF range-finder style body.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Absolutic
Absolutic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,522

well my 75 is coming in the mail to me.  I need it.

1) my 45 1.8 is amazing and sharp lens and I love it for 3/4 portraits and full body portraits, however, it is too short for headshots in my opinion.   75 1.8 would be great for head shots (as illustrated by numerous examples in this forum) and everything else would be a bonus.

2) it is considered the best and the sharpest lens, many claim that it is the sharpest lens they have ever used.  It is considered the best m43 lens currently in production.   How can I NOT get it?  I wish it was cheaper... but a new Canon 135L costs in the same ballpark, and Nikon's ancient 105DC and 135DC cost even more.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Panasonic G85 Sony a9 +14 more
clengman
clengman Senior Member • Posts: 1,968

LPMILLER wrote:

I've been through numerous threads here regarding the Olympus "must have" primes, the 12, 40 and 75.  I must confess that I am a tried and true addict of zoom lenses as I find the versatility of them to be so useful and adaptable for any given situation.  I have had primes before, 50 mm macros and my first tele lens was a 135.  The only prime that I have very fond memories of, prior to shooting digital, was the Nikon AF DC-Nikkor 105mm f/2D.  This lens was absolutely gorgeous and the images it produced were of equal quality.  I utilized this lens...

You didn't utilize it. You ​used​ it.

clengman's gear list:clengman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +6 more
phototransformations
phototransformations Senior Member • Posts: 2,846

clengman wrote:

LPMILLER wrote:

I've been through numerous threads here regarding the Olympus "must have" primes, the 12, 40 and 75.  I must confess that I am a tried and true addict of zoom lenses as I find the versatility of them to be so useful and adaptable for any given situation.  I have had primes before, 50 mm macros and my first tele lens was a 135.  The only prime that I have very fond memories of, prior to shooting digital, was the Nikon AF DC-Nikkor 105mm f/2D.  This lens was absolutely gorgeous and the images it produced were of equal quality.  I utilized this lens.ii..

You didn't utilize it. You ​used​ it.

I'm not a big fan of "utilize" over "use," but there's nothing incorrect about "utilized" here. "Utilize" means "put to use," which is exactly what the OP did with his lens.

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +25 more
Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,924
Need?

Does your paycheck depend on getting this lens?

Will it pay for itself in shots you couldn't get w another lens?

If not, then put 'need' out of the equation...

Now, do you have the cash for it? (that's not already allocated for house payment or food or credit card dept)

Do you want the lens more than something else you can buy w that cash? (trip?)

Will you get more out of that lens than you would something else? (classes, setting up a studio?)

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
Tim F 101 Senior Member • Posts: 1,020
If only someone would debate the relative merits of primes vs zooms.

Alas, this crowd is far too polite for such an important but - potentially! - fractious discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads