Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions
Cenk
Cenk Senior Member • Posts: 1,608
Re: Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

D700 is a very good and reasonable choice IMO; very mature, problem-free & a classical body for professionals...

-- hide signature --

Cenk Ogurtani
www.facebook.com/CenkOgurtaniWildlifePhotography

Cenk's gear list:Cenk's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D5000 Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS 70D +25 more
Rumi Siddiqui
OP Rumi Siddiqui Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: Did I get ripped off based on mileage?

Thanks so much for your feedback. And I feel better about my purchase for the most part. There is one thing that has been bothering me. Before I had placed my bid on Ebay for the D700, the auction had about 40 minutes left and bid was at $1500. I kept using the "Ask a seller a question" feature to ask about the shutter count and some question about the battery grip. The seller responded twice, only addressing the battery grip. It got to the point, where there was only 3 minutes left in the auction; I figured if this camera was purchased this year, shutter count may not be too high, and I semi-impulsively bid on the item, and won. After I won, I asked the seller the same question, what's the shutter count, and can you ship this camera by tomorrow. He ignored my first question, and only answered the shipping question.

Today, I asked only the shutter count question, and brought up the fact that he didn't respond to it before, despite me asking several times. He responded today, letting me know the item shipped, and told me it has 60,000 shutter count.

Did I get the short end of stick? I feel he purposely didn't answer the question, initially. I'm assuming the D700 has a 150,000 cycle, which would leave me with 90,000, which is still plenty, but still. Was $1600 a good deal for 60k actuations?

Rumi Siddiqui's gear list:Rumi Siddiqui's gear list
Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +10 more
tomnorth
tomnorth Contributing Member • Posts: 881

I had been out checking prices for used D700s on eBay when I was briefly considering selling mine to help finance the D800 purchase. My D700 has fifty-some thousand shutter releases. Based on what I saw, $1,600 would be a fair price for 60K actuations, especially including the battery grip. You are correct in assuming that the D700 shutter is rated for 150,000 actuations. One thing to keep in mind is that replacing a shutter is only a few hundred dollar repair, so it's not as if your camera will be a boat anchor once the shutter dies (which might be well past 150,000 actuations).

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +5 more
chipmaster
chipmaster Senior Member • Posts: 2,822

Ebay is notable in what sometimes isn't posted... that is a bit of milage and factor that in IMHO you probably just paid market price, not a screaming deal; relatively new, but higher milage but excellent camera.  If you check Fredmirranda or other sites many D700s with similar mileage going for that.

D700 is a fine camera and will ikely serve you well and the combo with the VRII will produce very nice images to 16x20 and 6400 ISO with care.

Not sure if budget or the fact you thought you had a deal swung you to Nikon versus Canon.

No question if sports is what you want the D700 is still very high performing.   The 5DMKIII is worthy competitor with more pixesl, slightly better noise but a LOT more expensive, and its a canon so lots of minus there 

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +20 more
Rumi Siddiqui

tomnorth wrote:

I had been out checking prices for used D700s on eBay when I was briefly considering selling mine to help finance the D800 purchase. My D700 has fifty-some thousand shutter releases. Based on what I saw, $1,600 would be a fair price for 60K actuations, especially including the battery grip. You are correct in assuming that the D700 shutter is rated for 150,000 actuations. One thing to keep in mind is that replacing a shutter is only a few hundred dollar repair, so it's not as if your camera will be a boat anchor once the shutter dies (which might be well past 150,000 actuations).

That's good to know, thank you for that. I guess I never factored shutter repair as a solution, I just assumed that was the end of the camera life overall. I guess the price was somewhat reasonable, considering it's mileage. Sadly, with respect to the battery grip; I came to find out it's not the stock, like I originally thought. It's a vello's 3rd party one that doesn't even take the Nikon batteries which the seller supplied. Regardless, I'm still happy, and still excited.

Tommot1965 Senior Member • Posts: 1,026

Rumi Siddiqui wrote:

tomnorth wrote:

That's good to know, thank you for that. I guess I never factored shutter repair as a solution, I just assumed that was the end of the camera life overall. I guess the price was somewhat reasonable, considering it's mileage. Sadly, with respect to the battery grip; I came to find out it's not the stock, like I originally thought. It's a vello's 3rd party one that doesn't even take the Nikon batteries which the seller supplied. Regardless, I'm still happy, and still excited.

pays to really research ebay deals before bidding...so we have gone from a screaming deal, to a ok one in a few short posts..its a bummer also about the grip as that would have still added a little sugar to the pot. but alas not

but..and its a BIG but..you have still bought a great camera in the D700 and with the coupled lenses you have earmarked it will serve you well...and unless your a pro, 90000 shutter actuations will take a age to use up

as long as the camera is not knocked around..Id still love it..Id rather have a 60000 shutter and perfect body that 10000 and a rough outside

any pics of the camera..or a link to the closed auction ?

Tommot1965's gear list:Tommot1965's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Lisa O
Lisa O Senior Member • Posts: 2,505

5D3 to D700 seems like a downgrade to me. D600 would be the happy medium.

-- hide signature --

see about me in my profile for more info
http://500px.com/LisaOsta
http://www.flickr.com/photos/losta

Lisa O's gear list:Lisa O's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus E-M1 Nikon D810 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D7200 +27 more
Rumi Siddiqui

pays to really research ebay deals before bidding...so we have gone from a screaming deal, to a ok one in a few short posts..its a bummer also about the grip as that would have still added a little sugar to the pot. but alas not

but..and its a BIG but..you have still bought a great camera in the D700 and with the coupled lenses you have earmarked it will serve you well...and unless your a pro, 90000 shutter actuations will take a age to use up

as long as the camera is not knocked around..Id still love it..Id rather have a 60000 shutter and perfect body that 10000 and a rough outside

I can't upload the pics at the moment since I'm typing this from my iPhone but the link to auction is below.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=160900088874&globalID=EBAY-US

thanhuy Regular Member • Posts: 288

Rumi Siddiqui wrote:

I've been debating for the past several months between the 5D3 and D800, and then between the D800/D600, but I don't know what came over me, last night. I was on eBay, and I saw a mint condition D700 that was purchased in early 2012 with warranty remaining, and I nabbed it for $1600, which included the grip and two batteries. I had plenty of funds leftover, and went ahead purchased the 70-200 VRII. aI think I'm going to grab an SB-910 today too. I just got to thinking, I don't feel like dealing with the headache of a questionable D800 which costs $3000, which will force me to change my technique, and I wasn't too fond of the D600 ergonomics and button placement. I know the D700 is old tech, but the consistency of beautiful pics produced by this machine is amazing. I just like the way the images look, and my Mac Pro will slice through 12mp like i better. I figured this time around, I'd opt for better glass, and maybe hold out for a true D700 successor in the mean time. I can't wait for it to arrive. This will be my first Nikon. What do you guys think? I'm second guessing myself a bit, and I've never actually used a D700. I think I'm looking more forward to the 70-200mm VR II.

You did the right thing.  Invest on glass instead of camera.  D700 is still the one for many photographers out there doing their job to earn money.  I own both D700 and D800E and after awhile of playing D800 I think it does force me to upgrade few things such as memory card and my HDD.  I use to shoot all day or at least half day with my 24GB card but now that 24GB is filling up so quickly that I have to bring extra 16GB not mention about the writing speed.  With my D700 I can snap all day long and no worry about memory card or weird WB issue like D800.

Get D800 if you're more in landscape photography...

Rumi Siddiqui

Tommot1965 wrote:

Rumi Siddiqui wrote:

tomnorth wrote:

Sorry, if the first link didn't work, this one should.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-d700-Mint-Extras-/160900088874?nma=true&si=cqymxHyKRU0Sr4FObby8tpVNt34%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Rumi Siddiqui

Lisa O wrote:

5D3 to D700 seems like a downgrade to me. D600 would be the happy medium.

Canon 5D Mark III is a fantastic camera, and for low light video, it's amazing. But here's how I look at it. There are those who are the "jack of all trades;" they are good or decent at lot of things, but not great at one particular thing. Video was the most neglected feature on my Mark III. When I did make use of it, it wasn't up to par. I decided to shift my focus to pure image quality in photography alone for the time being, and Nikon fits the bill. Canon tends to give me more overblown highlights, and the noise handling can tend to soften the images too much at the sacrifice of detail. Some say that canon images can look "plastic" with respect to skin tones, as a result. I've witnessed this myself, even with good L-series lenses.

I have compared thousands of images side-by-side from Canon and Nikon, and most of the time, I'm amazed at what the D700 produces from 12mp. The colors and pleasant film grains are a treat. Yes, I probably could use light room to make my canon images look more like that, but would I want to sit there an post process all day, when I can get it right the first time, directly from the D700.

I know the D600 is no slouch either, but having used it personally, I found the ergonomics, crippling. With the D700, I'm getting the semi-pro body that's comfortable for me with a better autofocus system. Plus, if I can get one of the most respected workhorse camera's for $1600, I can put the rest of the money towards glass, speed lights, etc. The best part, I can sell the body, and keep the glass for the next D700 successor.

I really wish Nikon released a true competitor to the 5D Mark III, but they have not. The D800 is overkill for the most part, and D600 is just not what I'm looking for. The D700 just feels like more value, fewer megapixels, less hassle, takes up less memory, faster post processing, less post processing, less headache. No QC issues, high reliability, budget for better lenses, better image quality, better metering; if I could talk about my wife like this, she'd cry with tears of joy.

001FJ Regular Member • Posts: 359
Re: My uncle's thoughts exactly...

I have the D700 and my uncle bought the D800 two months ago (he doesn't like the ergonomics of the D600; and he switched to Nikon from Canon after trying my D700.) Anyway, his D800 (an AMAZING camera) has been in service for the last month because of the left focus point problem. He now says, "The D700 is the best!"
Anyway, regardless of what camera you bought there is no right and wrong answer; this is not a moral issue. So just love your camera, whatever camera and whatever brand, and go out and take photos.

Kabe Luna
Kabe Luna Veteran Member • Posts: 9,493

As long as 12 MP meets your needs, you will love the D700. It's one of the greatest DSLRs I've ever used. And I've used a lot of them.

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon 85mm F1.8G +8 more
Rumi Siddiqui

001FJ wrote:

...regardless of what camera you bought there is no right and wrong answer; this is not a moral issue. So just love your camera, whatever camera and whatever brand, and go out and take photos.

Words of wisdom. Unfortunately, the only photos I'll be taking, will be with my iPhone, until this Tuesday when the D700 arrives. I photographed my Canon 50mm 1.4 to sell on eBay with my  iPhone 4S. Not bad for a phone camera.

Rumi Siddiqui wrote:

Tommot1965 wrote:

Rumi Siddiqui wrote:

tomnorth wrote:

Sorry, if the first link didn't work, this one should.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-d700-Mint-Extras-/160900088874?nma=true&si=cqymxHyKRU0Sr4FObby8tpVNt34%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

link worked ok..the camera looks to be in mint condition, all the rubbers look unused..so there must have been a terrific shot rate in the studio where it was used..., obviously it would have been better emotionally if it was only a 5000 shutter actuation ..but its not.. I wouldn't be worried at all

the only point Id make is I hope the little rubber block that is removed when the grips attached is in the box, as I couldn't see it amongst the gear shots

Olympus E-M1
Joe Tam Contributing Member • Posts: 914

I love the D700 it was the best camera for a long time.   But I wish Nikon introduces a D700 w/ 23 megapixels, better low light sensitivity and with a shutter as quiet as the MK3.  The 800 is too slow and too big.  The d600 is a toy as it is too small for my hands.  The d4 is too big and only an incremental upgrade in megapixel compared to my D3s.

My biggest problem with the D700(and other Nikons) is the loud shutter.  The MK3 shutter is like a leica shutter especially in the quiet mode.  Wish they made it as quiet as the Q mode on the D7000.

I'm had the D700 since 2008 and only wish it had more megapixel as editors want freedom to crop or make horizontal into vertical etc.

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Rumi Siddiqui

Tommot1965 wrote:

the only point Id make is I hope the little rubber block that is removed when the grips attached is in the box, as I couldn't see it amongst the gear shots

What rubber block?? Do you have a pic?

UPDATED:

Are you talking about the little rubber "L" shaped piece that covers the terminals? I just asked the seller if that's included, and I'm waiting on his response.

stevedigiphoto
stevedigiphoto Regular Member • Posts: 317

Rumi Siddiqui wrote:

tomnorth wrote:

Bear in mind that the 150k figure is just a guide - have seen many D700s on sale in the Uk with 300-450,000 actuations and still working (MPB sold a batch of them a few months ago for around £1000 mark). Sure you will never regret buying a D700!

-- hide signature --

D800E/14-24/24-70/50f1.4G/105VRMicro/Bigma OS/EPL3/14-42II

stevedigiphoto's gear list:stevedigiphoto's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Leica Q Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +12 more

Rumi Siddiqui wrote:

Tommot1965 wrote:

What rubber block?? Do you have a pic?

UPDATED:

Are you talking about the little rubber "L" shaped piece that covers the terminals? I just asked the seller if that's included, and I'm waiting on his response.

yes

Olympus E-M1
TheoC Contributing Member • Posts: 812

So you expect the arrival of the d700 and haven't thought about the 50/1.4 Nikkor!?:-))) You can find the 1.4 d version quite reasonably priced, around 200 USD. Also have a look at the 35/2 AFD Nikkor, very cheap and wonderful. Enjoy your camera!

Theo

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads