Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions
Rumi Siddiqui
Rumi Siddiqui Regular Member • Posts: 201
Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?
1

I've been debating for the past several months between the 5D3 and D800, and then between the D800/D600, but I don't know what came over me, last night. I was on eBay, and I saw a mint condition D700 that was purchased in early 2012 with warranty remaining, and I nabbed it for $1600, which included the grip and two batteries. I had plenty of funds leftover, and went ahead purchased the 70-200 VRII. aI think I'm going to grab an SB-910 today too. I just got to thinking, I don't feel like dealing with the headache of a questionable D800 which costs $3000, which will force me to change my technique, and I wasn't too fond of the D600 ergonomics and button placement. I know the D700 is old tech, but the consistency of beautiful pics produced by this machine is amazing. I just like the way the images look, and my Mac Pro will slice through 12mp like i better. I figured this time around, I'd opt for better glass, and maybe hold out for a true D700 successor in the mean time. I can't wait for it to arrive. This will be my first Nikon. What do you guys think? I'm second guessing myself a bit, and I've never actually used a D700. I think I'm looking more forward to the 70-200mm VR II.

 Rumi Siddiqui's gear list:Rumi Siddiqui's gear list
Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +10 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Onetrack97 Senior Member • Posts: 1,953
Re: Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?
1

Assuming that the D700 is not heavily worn, sounds like a good deal.

The 70-200 VRII is a great lens.

I have a D3 and D800.  They are both great.  I only use the D800 for portraits and headshots.

-- hide signature --

Scott

 Onetrack97's gear list:Onetrack97's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon D810
Rumi Siddiqui
OP Rumi Siddiqui Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

Onetrack97 wrote:

Assuming that the D700 is not heavily worn, sounds like a good deal.

The 70-200 VRII is a great lens.

I have a D3 and D800.  They are both great.  I only use the D800 for portraits and headshots.

-- hide signature --

Scott

Well, per the guys description, no scratches, scuffs, or any signs of wear. So we'll see. Yea, I'm still feeling butterflies in my stomach, because I was supposed to get the D800. In a last minute frenzy, I just jumped on the D700, put the rest of the funding toward glass.

 Rumi Siddiqui's gear list:Rumi Siddiqui's gear list
Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +10 more
Bruno3
Bruno3 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

Hi Rumi !

What a funny circumstance, I am a new member of the dpreview and, I entered the forum in order to ask the same questions as you just had, the only difference between us is that, I haven't purchased the D700 model yet, but seriously consider the move. I have question to members who are experienced photographers, especially Nikon owners. What should I do then...? I have never owned a high class , full frame camera like D700 or D800. I recently visited a local photo shop and had a close look and touch on D600, D700, and D800, and must honestly say that the highest number impressed me most in therms of handling, the grip and size of the body (slightly thicker) and significantly lighter than its predecessor. Still, I am not much into video, that feature on D800 is not important to me, also the price difference makes sense, since I could purchase for the difference a good quality lens. All in one, is it worth in my situation pay over thousend dollars more for the advanced technology, which also will require more investment in new generation laptop and other accessories ? Besides the body handling advantage, I also enjoy the two slots for SD and CF cards, but is that enough to pay so much more, especially if I am only an amateur photographer.

The 36.3 Megapixels count is good for professionals and those who really have had enough experience with high end cameras, possibly users of D700.

My plan is to purchase a new D700 camera and after several years of use, I will change for something much smaller in size, mirrorless technology that certainly will be in place  on the market in the next few years as the best option to all.

Please let me know what you think, thanks.

Brunon

tomnorth
tomnorth Contributing Member • Posts: 752
Re: Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

The D700 is an excellent camera with fabulous ergonomics, especially with the grip. I recently bought the D800 but am keeping my D700 (bought 4 years ago).  For action photography I will go to the D700. I may also go for the D700 for event work. For portraiture, nature and travel work I will use the D800. I think the D700 is still a marvelous camera. It is a joy to shoot with. I would just shoot with it and enjoy it. The fact that there is still a decent market for the D700 ought to tell you something.

 tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +6 more
Rumi Siddiqui
OP Rumi Siddiqui Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

Hey Bruno,

I came from the owning the Canon 5D Mark II and Mark III, both prosumer full frame cameras; but I have always had a fondness for Nikon images. While the D800 seems to have superior resolution w/ resolving detail, it requires a lot of adjustment/shot discipline to take advantage of that massive sensor...from what I've heard. As exciting as the D800 is, in all honesty, I think it's overkill for my needs. I'm not a pro, and I rarely print anything. Additionally, I have a two year old son, and I'm not so sure the D800 would be that kind of grab'n'go camera. While the D600 may fit some of that criteria, i don't like the ergonomics, and it feels semi cheapy to me. To be fair, I've never held a D700 in my life, but I'm assuming it has that nice heft that I enjoyed with the 5D Mark III.

I figured having come from full-frame, the D700 would be a wise choice, as the real investment is in the 70-200mm VR II, that will go with me, to whatever body I move to. Plus the D700 is well respected camera that will be less revealing of my limited hand holding technique. It's a good place for me to start, and maybe i'll build up my talent and discipline and move to a D800. Who knows, but for now, I think the D700 is plenty. I hope it comes soon, it hasn't even shipped yet

Bruno3 wrote:

Hi Rumi !

What a funny circumstance, I am a new member of the dpreview and, I entered the forum in order to ask the same questions as you just had, the only difference between us is that, I haven't purchased the D700 model yet, but seriously consider the move. I have question to members who are experienced photographers, especially Nikon owners. What should I do then...? I have never owned a high class , full frame camera like D700 or D800. I recently visited a local photo shop and had a close look and touch on D600, D700, and D800, and must honestly say that the highest number impressed me most in therms of handling, the grip and size of the body (slightly thicker) and significantly lighter than its predecessor. Still, I am not much into video, that feature on D800 is not important to me, also the price difference makes sense, since I could purchase for the difference a good quality lens. All in one, is it worth in my situation pay over thousend dollars more for the advanced technology, which also will require more investment in new generation laptop and other accessories ? Besides the body handling advantage, I also enjoy the two slots for SD and CF cards, but is that enough to pay so much more, especially if I am only an amateur photographer.

The 36.3 Megapixels count is good for professionals and those who really have had enough experience with high end cameras, possibly users of D700.

My plan is to purchase a new D700 camera and after several years of use, I will change for something much smaller in size, mirrorless technology that certainly will be in place  on the market in the next few years as the best option to all.

Please let me know what you think, thanks.

Brunon

I'm really looking forward to the D700. I think I got a fantastic value at $1600, and I'm excited to explore this new Nikon territory for myself. I have seen many images taken from the D700 online, and I'm just consistently amazed that it continues to produce beautiful images.

tomnorth wrote:

The D700 is an excellent camera with fabulous ergonomics, especially with the grip. I recently bought the D800 but am keeping my D700 (bought 4 years ago).  For action photography I will go to the D700. I may also go for the D700 for event work. For portraiture, nature and travel work I will use the D800. I think the D700 is still a marvelous camera. It is a joy to shoot with. I would just shoot with it and enjoy it. The fact that there is still a decent market for the D700 ought to tell you something.

 Rumi Siddiqui's gear list:Rumi Siddiqui's gear list
Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +10 more
rpps Senior Member • Posts: 1,684
Re: Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

The D700 is a great camera I moved up to one from a D300s and going FX was the difference or I should say the IQ I have been searching for in a DSLR.

I sold my D700 for $1800 with 4,000 activations on it last week to get the D600, I was so nervous waiting for the D600 to arrive, wondering if I had done the right thing as I haven't even seen one or use one in a shop .

But it arrived from Hong Kong this week and I'm really impressed with it the IQ, White Balance and Exposure they are spot on and the detail I can abstract from the shadow areas is amazing. One main reason for going to the D600 and the 24MP sensor was to give me the option to crop tighter without any loss in IQ .

I was a bit shocked with the weight of the D600 compared to the D700 but after a few days I don't really notice much difference now.

I loved my D700 but this D600 to me is a big improvement.

 rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +4 more
Rumi Siddiqui
OP Rumi Siddiqui Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

rpps wrote:

The D700 is a great camera I moved up to one from a D300s and going FX was the difference or I should say the IQ I have been searching for in a DSLR.

I sold my D700 for $1800 with 4,000 activations on it last week to get the D600, I was so nervous waiting for the D600 to arrive, wondering if I had done the right thing as I haven't even seen one or use one in a shop .

But it arrived from Hong Kong this week and I'm really impressed with it the IQ, White Balance and Exposure they are spot on and the detail I can abstract from the shadow areas is amazing. One main reason for going to the D600 and the 24MP sensor was to give me the option to crop tighter without any loss in IQ .

I was a bit shocked with the weight of the D600 compared to the D700 but after a few days I don't really notice much difference now.

I loved my D700 but this D600 to me is a big improvement.

Oh my, buyer's remorse is rearing it's ugly head. I'm wondering if I should have not been so quick to dismiss the D600 over the ergonomics. What were your complaints about the D700 that you find improved in the D600? I hate second guessing myself.

 Rumi Siddiqui's gear list:Rumi Siddiqui's gear list
Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +10 more
rpps Senior Member • Posts: 1,684
Re: Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

Look I had buyers remorse getting the D600 and selling my D700, it's a great camera and the IQ is amazing, the Auto Focus is one of the best out there much better than the D600. But my main reason selling my 4 month old D700 was I wanted the option when I crop a RAW photo I would end up even after a severe crop a photo without too much image quality loss. The biggest thing I have found is that when editing RAW files and when you brighten up the shadow areas in CNX2 is how much detail you can abstract and without any noise, so thats really impressed me.

As far as IQ goes I find the D700 just as good as the D600 and I haven't found much difference, so realax you will still love your new camera as much as I did.

 rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +4 more
Astrophotographer 10 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,608
Re: Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

Sounds like very little downside. Worst case if you decided you want something else you could simply sell it and get most of your $s back.

Greg.

 Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +7 more
KOsterman New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

Can any past/present D700 owners speak about the banding that can be present at higher ISO's?  This is the only issue that would keep me from picking up a D700 over a D600/D800.

rpps Senior Member • Posts: 1,684
Re: Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Sounds like very little downside. Worst case if you decided you want something else you could simply sell it and get most of your $s back.

Greg.

Very little downside don't let the 12MP  worry you, it's a great camera and just wait until you try it out before thinking about selling it. If you look at my Gallery photo most of the photos there except for the last 7 were from my D700 and you would be hard pressed to tell any difference in the IQ wise when compared to the D700

 rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +4 more
Fred Mueller Senior Member • Posts: 2,528
I have a D700, bought a D600 a few weeks ago ...
1

Let me just say the sensor in the 600 is clearly a step up; resolution obviously, but also better noise handling, and particularly, for what I do (property photography), higher dynamic range.

But do I think you made a mistake getting a mint 700 for $1600 - not at all.

First of all the D700 sensor and the files that come from it are still the same great thing they have been right from the start ... and in a number of ways the 700 is still a better camera - the finder is a little bigger, and just a little brighter.  The 700 focus system tracks better, and with the grip, the 700 shoots at 8 fps, and the 51 point coverage is more effective than the crowded 39 point setup in the 600. And the ergonomics of the 700 are just great.

Can you pull up shadow detail in 700 files - sure, and by a lot. Remember, when that camera (and the D3) first appeared, it too was a dynamic range breakthrough, and it is still a really terrific sensor by any standard.  I have decided after a few weeks of shooting the D600, that it really has a better JPG engine.  The tone curves in the 700 have always been quite steep ...  the 700 is really a RAW shooters body, and the 700 NEFs really respond terrifically in post ...

I bought a 600 for price, and the great sensor - and because I can keep my 700 and don't have to give up it's better attributes.  I really don't get, in some cases, 700 owners who are selling it and picking up a 600 - that, to me, is a sideways step ...

Fred

Rumi Siddiqui
OP Rumi Siddiqui Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: I have a D700, bought a D600 a few weeks ago ...

Fred Mueller wrote:

Let me just say the sensor in the 600 is clearly a step up; resolution obviously, but also better noise handling, and particularly, for what I do (property photography), higher dynamic range.

But do I think you made a mistake getting a mint 700 for $1600 - not at all.

First of all the D700 sensor and the files that come from it are still the same great thing they have been right from the start ... and in a number of ways the 700 is still a better camera - the finder is a little bigger, and just a little brighter.  The 700 focus system tracks better, and with the grip, the 700 shoots at 8 fps, and the 51 point coverage is more effective than the crowded 39 point setup in the 600. And the ergonomics of the 700 are just great.

Can you pull up shadow detail in 700 files - sure, and by a lot. Remember, when that camera (and the D3) first appeared, it too was a dynamic range breakthrough, and it is still a really terrific sensor by any standard.  I have decided after a few weeks of shooting the D600, that it really has a better JPG engine.  The tone curves in the 700 have always been quite steep ...  the 700 is really a RAW shooters body, and the 700 NEFs really respond terrifically in post ...

I bought a 600 for price, and the great sensor - and because I can keep my 700 and don't have to give up it's better attributes.  I really don't get, in some cases, 700 owners who are selling it and picking up a 600 - that, to me, is a sideways step ...

Fred

Speaking stepping sideways, let me ask you something - I purchased the D700 and ordered the 70-200 2.8 VR II, and I have about $900 leftover. I'm debating if I should order 1 or 2 SB-910's or save towards the 24-70mm 2.8. I know it's a matter of my needs and personal preference, but I was curious to hear what others recommend. I shoot indoors and outdoors quite a bit. I like shooting candid photos of babies, toddlers, and families. I'll be getting a speedlite or two, regardless, but i'm having trouble prioritizing which to get first. Having the 24-70 will complete my lens quota for years to come, as my focal range will be essentially fulfilled with top glass; however, the flashes will allow me to properly light a scene. Coming from Canon, I previously shot a 5D Mark III with two fixed focal length lens, 50mm 1.4 and an 85mm 1.8. I had two speedlites, but I usually carried only one, when traveling.

 Rumi Siddiqui's gear list:Rumi Siddiqui's gear list
Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +10 more
polizonte
polizonte Contributing Member • Posts: 817
Re: I have a D700, bought a D600 a few weeks ago ...

After using using D700's for a few years, I tried a 5Dmkii for a week with two lenses, a 35mmL and 135L.  One week later, I bought the Nikon 35mm f1.4 G  for my D700 which has become my most used lens while the 70-200mm VRii is still my favorite.

Comparing the two camera bodies, I find the D700 ergonomics/controls are easier than the 5Dmkii. IQ: I see less noise in shadow areas with the Nikon.

If you want to stretch your $900, take a look at the SB700.

-- hide signature --

Es mejor pescar que ser pescado.

 polizonte's gear list:polizonte's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon 28mm F1.4E
Jeddd Forum Member • Posts: 58
Re: I have a D700, bought a D600 a few weeks ago ...

hi all, i have heard many comments that the d700 AF is faster than that of the d600. however, i do find my d600 focus faster than my d700 in dim light(without AF assist light, i nv like to use that). in bright light, they are both too fast to spot a different. I use AFs and AFc most of the time. And strangely i find my d600 AF even faster than my d3 which is faster than the d700(dim light).

Tommot1965 Senior Member • Posts: 1,015
Re: Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

Rumi Siddiqui wrote:

I've been debating for the past several months between the 5D3 and D800, and then between the D800/D600, but I don't know what came over me, last night. I was on eBay, and I saw a mint condition D700 that was purchased in early 2012 with warranty remaining, and I nabbed it for $1600, which included the grip and two batteries. I had plenty of funds leftover, and went ahead purchased the 70-200 VRII. aI think I'm going to grab an SB-910 today too. I just got to thinking, I don't feel like dealing with the headache of a questionable D800 which costs $3000, which will force me to change my technique, and I wasn't too fond of the D600 ergonomics and button placement. I know the D700 is old tech, but the consistency of beautiful pics produced by this machine is amazing. I just like the way the images look, and my Mac Pro will slice through 12mp like i better. I figured this time around, I'd opt for better glass, and maybe hold out for a true D700 successor in the mean time. I can't wait for it to arrive. This will be my first Nikon. What do you guys think? I'm second guessing myself a bit, and I've never actually used a D700. I think I'm looking more forward to the 70-200mm VR II.

you sir have bought a good deal....last year I had to decide between a D800 or a D700 and the 24-70..I bought the latter and have never looked back

instead of a Nikon SB910..look at the  SB 700..not a lot of difference in  coverage when used in anything under a football stadium, also they are smaller and more manageable.

but if I had to choose between the 24-70 or two flash heads..Id buy the lens and let the flash heads wait a while ...the 70-200 is a fantastic lens, the 24-70 is also a great lens and much needed in a photographers bag.

as for buyer remorse..LOL..as far as I can see you have bought with a bit of intelligence..which makes a refreshing change around here

 Tommot1965's gear list:Tommot1965's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Fred Mueller Senior Member • Posts: 2,528
700 vs 600 focus speed

In single point AF the 600 is quick, maybe just a nick faster than the 700 in good light. I judge the low light ability to be about the same - ie the point at which they both begin to hunt. But the 600 does not track nor is it as accurate in 39 point "auto" as the 700 in 51 point "3d" - and this is by a pretty wide margin. I need to play with this more, but initially, based on shooting at a cycling event, the 700 just works more accurately, it was actually no contest.  The 700 just locks and then tracks with out effort. The 600 appears to be jumping all over its 39 pt grid nervously, "unable to make up its mind", and would return whole strings of shots where the camera had focused several feet behind the target even though I was quite sure I had placed and held the grid correctly (done my part) on the target. The 700 otoh would produce  strings of shots and maybe one or two shots would be not quite there, out of 6-10 shots, but then the rest would be good.  It never returns a whole string back focused ...

Also, the 700 VF is really noticeably larger and brighter - and the focus points light up much more brightly and obviously (the red flash).

That is my impression so far - couple the 700's 8 fps with grip, and you have a clearly better atheletically inclined rig in the D700 (with the grip).

Considering we are talking about a 4 year old camera, that is saying something about how strong the 700 has been all along ...

But for me, these attributes do not matter as much as the increase in dynamic range which has a direct benefit to me in the things I shoot - so for the most part the 700 is now my backup body ...

Also, the addition of the MB14 grip turns the 600 into an almost perfectly sized camera for me - really counters the "cheap" comments for me, the camera looks and feels great and "just right" in hand.  In fact when I go back to the 700 - it feels a little large, and the shutter is much louder than the 600 (a real drawback in some situations).

I am just lucky to not have had to choose between the two ...

Fred Mueller Senior Member • Posts: 2,528
Rumi ...

Of course only you can really decide - but if it was me, and I had the funds, I would get the 24-70, or the 24-120 first ... get the bigger expenses out of the way.

Also, since it is so inexpensive, pick up a 50mm 1.8 D - yes, the other Nikon 50s all have some area where they are "better", but not by much or anything that you can actually see most of the time - a great little optic ...

I have 3 SB 700s - they suit my needs when I need to do head shots - I rarely shoot "events" - if I did, I would have an SB 910 for the ability to have a battery pack and the power to bounce into a big room ...

Fred Mueller Senior Member • Posts: 2,528
headshot: D600 / 50mm 1.8 D / 2 sb 700s - key + hair

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads