Test Shot a 5DmkIII for the first time.

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions
RGL1215 Regular Member • Posts: 171
Test Shot a 5DmkIII for the first time.

I have had a 60D for not to long (coming from a 30D) and have come to the conclusion that I want something more advanced. I was intent on upgrading to a 7D. Well that changed today. I drove out to a store that stocks all the high end dslr's. All my local stores just have rebels and 60d's. I've held a 7D before and was impressed and was going to give it a test drive and then just for the halibut I had the salesman take down the 5DmkIII for me and I was floored. Wow, what a robust feeling body to hold. It really impressed much more than the 7D, so much so that I'm poo pooing the 7D now. I know the specs of both bodies but the price difference is huge. More than double. For all those that went the extra mile and got the 5DmkIII over say a 7D, was it worth the extra coin?

RGL1215's gear list:RGL1215's gear list
Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
plautoq Regular Member • Posts: 118
Re: Test Shot a 5DmkIII for the first time.

Dear RGL1215..

Yes, it does worth the extra money if you need the extra noise reduction, high ISO quality, full frame and you have EF lenses (EF-S is not compatible). I had my 60D for a year and I just recently purchased a 5D MKIII - and for me it worth every penny in IQ and high ISO - normally I shoot indoor sports with no flash allowed (gymnastics). Check out some pictures at worldphoto.smugmug.com. I'm no pro, and I intend not to be a pro - this is just my hobby. Cheers.

plautoq's gear list:plautoq's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
billythek Veteran Member • Posts: 5,260

If you get a decent deal on one, it is definitely worth the money.  But you should also check out the Nikon offerings while you are at it (D600 & D800).

And, frankly, many guys would take as good pictures using a point and shoot.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

billythek's gear list:billythek's gear list
DxO One Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
morrisng Junior Member • Posts: 38

I, too, came from the 60D world and made a jump to 5D3. My initial decision was purely because 5D2 was a few years old model with still a $2K price tag, where as 5D3 seems to be more fitted for moderate to heavy motion on the subject side.  Once I got a hold of it and actually took some pictures, I came to the conclusion that I can leave the EF-S behind. Was planning to pass my 60D to my wife, but end up getting her a 5D3 too as she also sees the big difference in IQ and AF success rate (which make the photo selection workflow A LOT tougher ;P ).

morrisng's gear list:morrisng's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
billythek Veteran Member • Posts: 5,260

Wow, my first negative vote, LOL!  Keep them coming!

You must be upset that I mentioned Nikon.  I actually do own a 5D3, BTW.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

billythek's gear list:billythek's gear list
DxO One Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Ecorone Regular Member • Posts: 323

morrisng wrote:

I, too, came from the 60D world and made a jump to 5D3. My initial decision was purely because 5D2 was a few years old model with still a $2K price tag, where as 5D3 seems to be more fitted for moderate to heavy motion on the subject side.  Once I got a hold of it and actually took some pictures, I came to the conclusion that I can leave the EF-S behind. Was planning to pass my 60D to my wife, but end up getting her a 5D3 too as she also sees the big difference in IQ and AF success rate (which make the photo selection workflow A LOT tougher ;P ).

Photo selection workflow doesn't have to be tougher. First, you can set the filenames from the two 5d3's differently.

Secondly if you're using lightroom, simply add a metatag depending on who's camera you're importing the images. Problem solved.

Ecorone's gear list:Ecorone's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
jrarsenault Senior Member • Posts: 1,150

I went from a 7D + 5D MkI combo to the 5D3. Never regretted it. I had been waiting for a full frame 7D and found it in the 5D3. The higher ISO capability plus the advanced auto focus system was a bonus.

Later I plan to add a 7D Mk2 which will serve as my back-up and go-to camera when I need reach.

kelpdiver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,458

jrarsenault wrote:

Later I plan to add a 7D Mk2 which will serve as my back-up and go-to camera when I need reach.

wait till it exists first!  the 6d may prove to be the better backup.

Don Ellis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,762

Ecorone wrote:

morrisng wrote:

Photo selection workflow doesn't have to be tougher. First, you can set the filenames from the two 5d3's differently.

Secondly if you're using lightroom, simply add a metatag depending on who's camera you're importing the images. Problem solved.

I think he means that because so many more photos are in focus, there are so many more photos to choose from.

Don Ellis's gear list:Don Ellis's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1
HenryL64 Contributing Member • Posts: 521

kelpdiver wrote:

jrarsenault wrote:

Not when the extra reach is needed as mentioned.

OP RGL1215 Regular Member • Posts: 171

jrarsenault wrote:

I went from a 7D + 5D MkI combo to the 5D3. Never regretted it. I had been waiting for a full frame 7D and found it in the 5D3. The higher ISO capability plus the advanced auto focus system was a bonus.

Damn, that would be one hell of a back-up.

jm67 Contributing Member • Posts: 913

RGL1215 wrote:

jrarsenault wrote:

It is.  In fact I kept one of my 7Ds when getting the 5D3 and I'll wait and see if the 7D2 is worth chucking the 7D.  Likely not but I'm not one to fret over cameras that haven't been invented yet.

I have to agree the 5D3 is the FF version of the 7D.  Sorry I can't help you to choose between the two.  You'll just have to figure out whether or not it's worth it in terms of tossing all your EF-s lenses and buying the FF equivalents.  Do you need speed/high iso/reach/print large and so on?  We all know the list by now and really only you can answer those along with the "can I really afford it?".  I haven't read all the posts but I'm sure someone must have mentioned waiting for the 6D and trying it out.

OP RGL1215 Regular Member • Posts: 171

jm67 wrote:

RGL1215 wrote:

jrarsenault wrote:

It is.  In fact I kept one of my 7Ds when getting the 5D3 and I'll wait and see if the 7D2 is worth chucking the 7D.  Likely not but I'm not one to fret over cameras that haven't been invented yet.

I have to agree the 5D3 is the FF version of the 7D.  Sorry I can't help you to choose between the two.  You'll just have to figure out whether or not it's worth it in terms of tossing all your EF-s lenses and buying the FF equivalents.  Do you need speed/high iso/reach/print large and so on?  We all know the list by now and really only you can answer those along with the "can I really afford it?".  I haven't read all the posts but I'm sure someone must have mentioned waiting for the 6D and trying it out.

Well thats an option. For the price of the 5dmkIII you can get a 7D and a 6D. 

cmaxwell23 Regular Member • Posts: 155
Wait for Adorama/Beach ebay deal 5D3 for $2800

That's what I did...worked out great.

kelpdiver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,458

HenryL64 wrote:

kelpdiver wrote:

jrarsenault wrote:

Not when the extra reach is needed as mentioned.

He already has a 7d.   If extra reach is less important than other features, the 6 may still be the better call.  It's so hard to tell when one product exists but hasn't been fully tested by outsiders yet, and the other product has been a non existent RSN product for years.  Just speculating on the price of a 7d/70d has been a wide range.

schatz Contributing Member • Posts: 633

I got the 2750 Deal a few weeks back.  I had my 7d and EFS lenses up for sale 2 days later.

Amazing camera , i'm just giddy.

-- hide signature --

www.greatschatz.com

grammieb14 Senior Member • Posts: 2,671

I love my 5Diii.  I sold my 5Dii & kept the 7D for birds & wildlife.  The only ef-s lens that I still have is a 17-55. It is a great lens, but I will be using the 5D for everything I used the lens for.  I really like the 5D enough to make me a little giddy too.  Well worth it for me.

grammieb14's gear list:grammieb14's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M5 +38 more
crasher7 Forum Member • Posts: 78

I went from a 7D to a 5D3, worth every penny. Actually paying for itself.

crasher7's gear list:crasher7's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
Dan Marchant Senior Member • Posts: 2,897

RGL1215 wrote:

Wow, what a robust feeling body to hold. It really impressed much more than the 7D, so much so that I'm poo pooing the 7D now. I know the specs of both bodies but the price difference is huge. More than double. For all those that went the extra mile and got the 5DmkIII over say a 7D, was it worth the extra coin?

The 7D and the 5DIII use the same body. There are just a couple of minor differences in the buttons.

Having owned both I would say that it is not worth the extra money.... unless you can tell me which specific feature of the 5DIII you need.

The 7D takes great photos, so does the 5DIII. Buying the 5D wont make you a better photographer. In fact, if you like to shoot sports or wildlife it will be worse as the extra reach of the 7D cropped sensor helps with those genres.

What would make you a better photographer would be to buy a 7D and then spend the difference on some really good photography lessons or better glass. You could also have an expensive holiday to some amazing far away destination where you can grab some great photos you will never get at home with a 5DIII.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 5DIII. It is a great camera but just having an expensive camera isn't all there is to photography.

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads