I'm thinking about switching to NEX from K5+

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions
Boris
Boris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,257
Re: I'm thinking about switching to NEX from K5+

Don`t switch, Compliment if you can afford it.

I have the K5, Nex7 and Oly OMD-5. The Nex 7 rarely gets any use, the menu system is a nightmare and I cannot get used to the EVF being placed all the way on the left end of the camera. The OMD5 is a heck of a responsive camera! I have since purchased the very sharp Oly 45f1.8 and Oly 12mm f2. My 77mm f1.8 works fine on both the Sony7 and OMD5 with a adapter.

Boris

Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II +40 more
Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,425
Re: Good point about NEX lens, Jim

il_alexk wrote:

Russell Evans wrote:

How about money to put the systems together?

Sony

• Nex-6, US $848
  • SEL1018, US $848
  • SEL24mm, US $1,098
  • SEL35mm, US $448
  • SEL50mm, US $298
  • Total US $3540

Pentax lighter weight system

• K-5IIs, US $1,299
  • DA 12-24, US $730
  • DA 21mm f3.2, US $647
  • DA 35mm f2.4, US $217
  • DA 50mm f1.8, $247
  • Total US $3140

Trying to be a bit more fair with the apertures:

Sony

• Nex-6, US $848
  • SEL1018, US $848
  • Sigma 19mm/2.8, US $200
  • Sigma 30mm/2.8, US $200
  • SEL50mm, US $298
  • Total US $2394

• K-5IIs, US $1,299
  • DA 12-24, US $730
  • DA 21mm f3.2, US $647
  • DA 35mm f2.4, US $217
  • DA 50mm f1.8, $247
  • Total US $3140

Pentax

• K-5II, US $1,199
  • Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, US 479
  • Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, $449.00

• Total US $2127

Thank you                                                                                                                                  Russell

il_alexk Senior Member • Posts: 2,326

Russell Evans wrote:

Sony

• Nex-6, US $848
  • SEL1018, US $848
  • SEL50mm, US $298
  • Total US $2394

• K-5IIs, US $1,299
  • DA 12-24, US $730
  • DA 21mm f3.2, US $647
  • DA 35mm f2.4, US $217
  • DA 50mm f1.8, $247
  • Total US $3140

Pentax

• K-5II, US $1,199
  • Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, US 479
  • Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, $449.00

• Total US $2127

Thank you                                                                                                                                  Russell

Sorry I lost you with this race of comparing Sony primes with Pentax zooms. I guess you've won, right?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +3 more
Jim in Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 2,130

il_alexk wrote:

Russell Evans wrote:

How about money to put the systems together?

Sony

• Nex-6, US $848
  • SEL1018, US $848
  • SEL24mm, US $1,098
  • SEL35mm, US $448
  • SEL50mm, US $298
  • Total US $3540

• K-5IIs, US $1,299
  • DA 12-24, US $730
  • DA 21mm f3.2, US $647
  • DA 35mm f2.4, US $217
  • DA 50mm f1.8, $247
  • Total US $3140

Sony

• Nex-6, US $848
  • SEL1018, US $848
  • SEL50mm, US $298
  • Total US $2394

• K-5IIs, US $1,299
  • DA 12-24, US $730
  • DA 21mm f3.2, US $647
  • DA 35mm f2.4, US $217
  • DA 50mm f1.8, $247
  • Total US $3140

Let's subtract $450 from the Pentax side as the NEX-6 is comparable to a K-30 in features.  Now who really wants to give up OS just to use those cheap Sigma primes?

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more

il_alexk wrote:

Sorry I lost you with this race of comparing Sony primes with Pentax zooms. I guess you've won, right?

I thought you changed the discussion to apertures and third party to show what options were available? Since the OP already included a zoom in his assessments of what he would want in a Nex system, I didn't think there would be an issue with a zoom that matched the aperture of the Sigmas on Pentax as well. I'm sorry if that offended in some way.

Thank you                                                                                                                                  Russell

Jim in Hudson wrote:

Let's subtract $450 from the Pentax side as the NEX-6 is comparable to a K-30 in features.  Now who really wants to give up OS just to use those cheap Sigma primes?

The reason I picked the K-5IIs to match the Nex-6 is my perceived excitement value. The Nex-6 is the small body APS-C with EVF that I think a lot of people want, and the K-5IIs is the first APS-C body without an AA filter I can buy.

As far as the Sigma lenses go, I'm one of the ones that will give up OS. I just bought a Nex-5n, had it about a week now, and my plan was to buy the 16mm f2.8 and the 16-50mm powerzoom when it came out in Jan. The 16mm f2.8 was for the eBay, 40m, underwater case, and the 16-50mm powerzoom is so my wife could use the camera for her needs.

I bought the 16mm a few of days ago and have had it to play with the last couple, and it's not bad, even without OS. I'm thinking the 16mm, 19mm, 30mm, and 50mm (with OS) will be a fun kit to have. I'll probably buy the 30mm next year, the 50mm the next, and then finally the 19mm the next year. A couple hundred or so a year extra isn't bad for me, and I'm in no hurry as I have a Pentax kit already.

Thank you                                                                                                                             Russell

Chuck Fralick Regular Member • Posts: 445

I'll give you a couple of reasons.

1) While certainly very good, I don't think the IQ of the NEX-6 is as good as the K-5 (or any other quality APS-C DSLR). It's not a matter of Sony's engineering it's a matter of compromises in making an APS-C camera the size of the NEX. The very things you say are your main interests such as landscapes often involve wide angle lenses. The NEX series has had a problem with wide angles both in geometry compromises and in lens quality. My belief, based upon DPR and other comments, is that ultimate IQ would be better with a DSLR. Not trying to create a firestorm over this issue since people tend to get testy if their opinion is not supported in the forums, but I think if you research it you'll find this consistent with the engineering science of smaller cameras using large sensors.

2) I think most people who have used a DSLR for any length of time will always come back if they go to small cameras. I did a couple of times. Number one I can't stand looking at LCDs. Nothing beats a bright, big optical viewfinder image. I LOVE small, quality cameras. I have a Leica X1, a Fuji X100 and X10, and a couple of the better P&S cameras. I always say I want to lighten my load, sell my DSLR gear, and then end up buying more. Yes, I know, not everyone will do this, but the motivations I believe are sound. The screen on the X1 is particularly bad but I love the feel of the camera.

3) The size difference is not as great as people make it out to be. The lenses are not any smaller really.

I say they best approach is to own both. After I got back into DSLRs yet again, I bought the K5 and am steadily buying lenses. I also plan on buying a NEX-6 or 7. I'm no longer trading one for the other and I really do like the K5 better than any DSLR I've had. Just enjoy whatever you do and best of luck.

Chuck Fralick's gear list:Chuck Fralick's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +3 more
il_alexk Senior Member • Posts: 2,326

Russell Evans wrote:

il_alexk wrote:

I thought you changed the discussion to apertures and third party to show what options were available? Since the OP already included a zoom in his assessments of what he would want in a Nex system, I didn't think there would be an issue with a zoom that matched the aperture of the Sigmas on Pentax as well. I'm sorry if that offended in some way.

Thank you                                                                                                                                  Russell

No problems, Russel.

I thought you were trying to compare a similar set of primes with both systems to see the prices in both cases. I only pointed out that the comparison should be done with primes of a similar quality (which is sort of related to apertures) and updated the Sony table with two Sigmas.

I guess I missed your original point, sorry about that.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +3 more
dustybunter Regular Member • Posts: 169

I bought a 40mm XS for my K-5 and a small Lowepro Rezo110 bag and put it in my holdall backpack when I need something simple.

I find the K-5 with 40mmXS is also pocketable, but I usually have a bag of some kind with me.

dustybunter's gear list:dustybunter's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL +7 more
bzx Regular Member • Posts: 231

Boris wrote:

The Nex 7 rarely gets any use, the menu system is a nightmare and I cannot get used to the EVF being placed all the way on the left end of the camera.

Just because you can't get used to the menu system and the EVF doesn't mean everyone will feel the same... in fact it's the opposite

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

bzx's gear list:bzx's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
Jim in Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 2,130

bzx wrote:

Boris wrote:

The Nex 7 rarely gets any use, the menu system is a nightmare and I cannot get used to the EVF being placed all the way on the left end of the camera.

Just because you can't get used to the menu system and the EVF doesn't mean everyone will feel the same... in fact it's the opposite

The "opposite" implies that no one would feel the same as Boris.  Surely that's not the case, either.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
OP Babka08 Regular Member • Posts: 246
Not thinking about switching to NEX from K5

After some consideration, and with the help of some of the earlier comments in this post, I have decided to stay with my K5. I'm further orienting my lenses around just primes, and will be making a few changes. I'm also hoping to liquidate enough that I can get a Sony RX100. I figure it will take the place of a mid-range zoom, and I'll always keep it in my pocket. I'll turn to Pentax and primes for more thoughtful photography.

In particular I appreciated Zvonimir Tosic's very sarcastic comment above about switching. I really like the lens selection with Pentax. Small quality. Unique. There will be lots of camera bodies coming and going over the years ahead. These lenses will still be what they are. Carrying around the 21mm is very rangefinder like. So that's the dslr experience I'm going to commit to.

Babka08's gear list:Babka08's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Voigtlander 20mm F3.5 Color Skopar SL II +3 more
JoeDaBassPlayer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,591
Re: Not thinking about switching to NEX from K5

I always liked the smaller bodies in the Pentac line up. The lenses are something I have appreciated more as I have upgraded my cameras.

The K5 is great. I have a K2000 (DSLR) as well as a K 01. The latter has caught a lot of flak for being large, as well as the position of the green button. I have no issue with either. It is a great addition/replacement for a DSLR. In my case, the K 01 is the main camera, the DSLR is backup or extra. It is rather small with the DA21 and XS40. It is very range finder looking. Also, the focus peaking allows it to operate a lot like one.

Keep the K5. Think about getting the K 01. It is more fun, for me, than a DSLR. For close up and macro shooting, it is king. I also prefer it for street and event shooting. The K 01 with DA21 is quite high end looking, yet less intimidating to others than the DSLR. It is also more quiet.

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

Cane Veteran Member • Posts: 6,900
Re: Not thinking about switching to NEX from K5

I am as well considering replacing my k-r with a k-30 and also getting a NEX 6. Why the NEX 6? I find what I actually shoot most is my toddler. I took my in-laws bridge camera with a dedicated record button and articulating screen to shoot pics of her last weekend, and it was a whole new world. I wasn't shooting blind or laying in the dirt to get to her level. Way more keepers. And way more video's I took. I actually like composing with an LCD.

Having the NEX 6 with better video options, articulating screen, focus peaking, and the ability to use adapters for any lens is tempting, along with the size, seems to give me what I want. If the k-01 had an articulating screen, I'd probably rather just get that. Pentax doesn't seem to want to ever do this though. Why not a M4/3? Well, the Oly's have dropped their on board fill flash on all articulating screen models, and the Panny's that do have that have no focus peaking. I want it all, yes, and NEX is the only one to do that.

It all depends what your needs are. Do I need the greatest glass ever to take toddler pics? No. I think there's 'good enough' for that type of shooting. I can use the k30 when I need more portrait type 'best glass' stuff, for bad weather/winter/beach pics with my current limited's and for 'other' subjects, and probably the NEX 6 for what I shoot most.

I will of course have to play with the NEX first and see how it feels. I am not an old timer with a lot of pre-conceived notions of what a camera has to be, so maybe it will work for me.

Ari Aikomus
Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,225
NEX is great, but it isn't a proper DSLR camera!

I have a lot of Pentax SLR gears, but also NEX-C3.

I like compactness of NEX system when I don't want to carry the big camera equipment with. I also have Pentax K (+M42 & Nikon) adapter to NEX. Sometimes I enjoy use my Pentax 100/2.8 WR macro with NEX, and that's because of tilting screen and focus peaking.

However, small NEX camera can't replace proper DSLR camera like my Pentax K-5! With big tele lenses NEX it's awful small and impractical (even NEX models with EVF).

There aren't any fast normal AF zooms for NEX system (like 17-50/2.8). And, presumably, one would be too big anyway.

Small NEX camera can't offer that kind of ergonomics as DSLR camera.

After all, I really like my NEX, as I like my Pentax DSLR gears - you just need choose a suitable tool for what you are doing.

Ari

-- hide signature --

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tidis/AAikomus.jpg
- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

JoeDaBassPlayer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,591
Re: NEX is great, but it isn't a proper DSLR camera!

Some may prefer the flip screen and thinner body of the NEX. I like the thicker body and shape of the K 01 grip. I have a more positive hold on it than I did with my DSLRs.

Focus peaking is a must once you get into macro, close up, and more creative shooting.

It really comes down to what fits your hands and style. For me, I like keeping the AF, having IBIS, and the functionality/usability. I do admit that the designer look of the K 01 is a factor for me as well. It looks and feels much more expensive than it is.

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 13,261
Add a Q?

I see from your later post that you've decided to stick with the K-5.  I've been using mine for almost two years now and have no reason to get rid of it.  However, there are definitely times when it's too big to carry around.

I bought a Q back in April; I use it much less than my K-5 but it's very convenient for those times when I don't want to carry a DSLR.  Its IQ is certainly not as good, but most of the time it's good enough.  I bought only the 01 Prime (47mm equivalent) to keep as small as possible (and because I prefer primes).

I'm keen to try the K-Q adapter: I'll be fascinated to see what detail I can get using the DFA100/2.8 macro + extension tubes on it.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads