Did we concede this forum to D600?

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions
herbymel Veteran Member • Posts: 6,076
Re: Did we concede this forum to D600?

I think they're still trying to get their head around all the changes they've made and then perhaps worry about rearranging forums...I do see it becoming a bit crowded in here and interesting threads disappear too quickly. I'd say perhaps break them up into two forums D600-800 and D3-4 and the older Pro DX models get moved to the Pro DX SLR talk. There really isn't that much conversation about those cameras as it is, and I don't think moving them is going to make that much difference and that forum could use a little extra life injected into it as well.

-- hide signature --

Herby

herbymel's gear list:herbymel's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF II +6 more
Luke Kaven Veteran Member • Posts: 5,705

Users with FX bodies are also users of FX lenses in FX format.  Many issues here involve body-lens pairings.

Also:  Increased traffic here means that many more people will see your work when you post it.

Back in the days when this forum had a $5000 membership due, it wasn't any better.  The influx of young artists with D700s and D600s has been a welcome addition.

rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 24,858
No more forums Re: The only problem is...

Robin Casady wrote:

The only problem with the D600 being in this forum is that its feature set and control layout is much more different than D800 vs. D4. So for some technical questions the forum divides between those who have experience with the D7000/D600 features, and those with D800, D700, D4, D3... experience.

However, if the D600 was removed from this forum it wouldn't fit any better in any other forum. Sometime in the future when there have been more FX models with D600 build and features, it may make sense to split it off.

-- hide signature --

It's just the big wave after release, in a couple of months it'll be back to normal. It belongs here, it's good to have new blood, people asking all kinds of questions. If someone doesn't like the relatively beginners' questions, just skip them.

People that get the D600 may eventually get a D800 or its successors, FF is where the real enthusiasts belong. Pros have other ways to get their info from, but may help here as well.

-- hide signature --

Renato. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/ OnExposure member http://www.onexposure.net/ Good shooting and good luck (after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
KnightPhoto2
OP KnightPhoto2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,976

Ron E Trees wrote:

KnightPhoto2 wrote:

I'm not going to get all proscriptive about where the D600 naturally belongs, I just don't think it should be here as the first part of the conversation - what are your thoughts 

I am new to this forum because of the D600, but that does not mean that I am new to photography. But since I have the D600, I may not be as knowledgeable about photography as you and I sure may not know anything about 'really advanced stuff'. Whatever "stuff" is. That is probably an advanced term that I can't possibly understand!  Am I reading into your post wrong? Thanks for making me and possible other D600 owners feel welcomed.

Ron

-- hide signature --

'The question is not what you look at, but what you see'. Henry David Thoreau http://ront.smugmug.com/

Point taken Ron and no disrespect intended.  I think part of my unease is D600 shares no DNA such as metering, AF module, sensor, build, form factor, etc. with earlier cameras on this forum.   The only shared attributes are sensor physical size and price greater than 2K.

It feels like dpreview misaligned this call and I missed where we had a good discussion about this.

Good shooting to you, and like I say - great camera!

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +21 more
CFynn Veteran Member • Posts: 5,224
Re: In the beginning, there was only the D1. And it had its own

xjassa wrote:

The D4 does not need 200 topics per day.  Most of the owners are professionals and don't care what F2.8 zoom to get, they are interested in more advanced topics, so expect not as many, yet longer, threads in a D4 forum.  Just like the D1/D2 forum.

I don't know what the percentage is for the D4 - but historically Nikon have sold far more of their top end "pro" cameras to enthusiasts than they do to working  professionals. Many professionals also use "lesser" cameras.

The point is to avoid clutter, which dpreview is failing at.

Clutter? - There are probably already too many forums on DPR. A dedicated Nikon site could have more model specific forums but I think it is a bit much to ask for that here

One problem here is that DPR have to keep the old forums - even if they get renamed - they can't reliably predict which models will come out in future so the arrangement sometimes ends up less than ideal.

To make a new D3, D4 or "integrated grip" forum they would ideally want to take out all the existing posts for those cameras and put them in that new forum. That would probably be very difficult to do

DPR could make a new D600 forum - but making a new forum for every camera people think is a different type would eventually lead to an unmanageable number of forums - unless maybe they had a tree structure for the forum menu.  Where would the D800 go with the D4 or D600? I can see arguments both ways.

For a start people could make posts easier to find in the existing forum if they simply started their subject lines with D4: subject ; D800: subject or D600: subject for model specific posts

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Biological_Viewfinder Senior Member • Posts: 2,207
Like your subject line idea!

CFynn wrote:

For a start people could make posts easier to find in the existing forum if they simply started their subject lines with D4: subject ; D800: subject or D600: subject for model specific posts

That should be a law! Also, if it has a picture then correctly state what it is. If it's a little kid or a pet, then I don't want to see it. You might love your little kid or you silly little pet, I do not. And I don't want to see it. So a subject line should correctly state what the contents of any photos are, like "D600 kid, pet, flower in my backyard, my roof, a picture of my TV during a Friends episode, and a picture of my lens cap which shows some important test result".
Then I would know not to bother.
-
Oh yeah, I forgot, anyone who posts a thread with a single word, a mystery phrase, or a partial statement should be banned from posting new threads in the future.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

CFynn Veteran Member • Posts: 5,224

KnightPhoto2 wrote:

It "feels wrong" to me.

Just imagine over in the Leica Talk forum, M and S users have to endure posts from people using only an X2 or Digilux camera. After spending all that money for a realLeica they are stuck with people shooting a glorified Panasonic P&S or super-zoom.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,494
Many would say the D800 AND D600 are not true pro cameras

I do not consider the D800 as "pro" as the D4.

This is always a problems when the cost of admission draws in a crowd of users.

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica Q Leica M9 Nikon D4
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery Veteran Member • Posts: 3,735
No, we wasn't ... Re: Did we concede this forum to D600?

KnightPhoto2 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, the D600 looks great!  But do topics pertaining the D600 really belong in this forum?  It "feels wrong" to me. ...

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange

Agreed, but it was DPR who has arm the rifle for a second time. I miss the D2+D200 forum before its first split, those photographers had the same philosophy, professional or not, but the same philosophy, obtaining or not money from their pictures, but the same philosophy.

Everything is already classificated + qualified by Nikon , their bodies are : Professional (FX+DX), Consumer (FX+DX), Nikon1 (CX) and Coolpixes (add them a forum for Nikkor lenses) ... that's all.

-- hide signature --

Un saludo.

Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,494
Glad to see something OTHER than the D800

Nothing but complaints and rants and now that the D600 arrives you "pro D800" users are tossing sour grapes!  LOL!

I suspect more than a few wish they would have bought a D600 rather than the D800!

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica Q Leica M9 Nikon D4
Sigimini
Sigimini Regular Member • Posts: 231
 Sigimini's gear list:Sigimini's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5

Sigimini wrote:

Snob...much?

As much snobbery as Nikon pages, they (and the most of us) care about the ergonomics intended to professional or consumer bodies "philosophy"...  at last every F-mount FX is DX too

-- hide signature --

Regards.

AlephNull Senior Member • Posts: 1,485

Generally speaking, the newest camera will get a lot of new threads - that's perfectly normal.

Also, the D600 brings in a new crowd of people who haven't had an FX DSLR before, and because they are new to full-frame, they may well have more questions.

I know I had more than a few questions when I switched to Nikon (I was coming from full-frame, but full-frame Canon - the control system is substantially different).

FX cameras do have a fair bit in common, particularly in terms of lens dynamics, but there are plenty of differences, too.

I'm not bothered with the current forum layout, although I wouldn't mind it if they added another forum for "new to FX"

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Sony Alpha a7R II Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art
Sigimini
Sigimini Regular Member • Posts: 231

A Pro in my book is the one who takes great pictures and often...with whatever camera. This whole thread by the OP is silly, and self aggrandizing.

Sigimini's gear list:Sigimini's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
hypercore360 Contributing Member • Posts: 961

Oh yes, prior to the D600 and all the threads relating to it, the topics were so high brow around here...

hypercore360's gear list:hypercore360's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more

Sigimini wrote:

A Pro in my book is the one who takes great pictures and often...with whatever camera. This whole thread by the OP is silly, and self aggrandizing.

Fred, your book is right ... but this thread and the Nikon's pages are talking about the cameras, not about their owners.

-- hide signature --

Regards.

sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 8,594
I'm curious why you think we get a vote?

Of course we can express opinions, but seems to me the deal is done.

And just for the record, the D600 is in the right place IMO. This is where the talk and questions have been, its FF, and certainly pro caliber. As pro as the highest end, no, probably not, but certainly the IQ alone, which is arguably as good or better than any Nikon or DSLR made, is enough to put it here.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +10 more
KnightPhoto2
OP KnightPhoto2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,976
Re: I'm curious why you think we get a vote?

sandy b wrote:

Of course we can express opinions, but seems to me the deal is done.

My OP goes back to the point of separate forums - why is there are separate forum for the D100/200/300 then?  Please somebody attempt to use logic why the D300 doesn't belong with the D700, but the D600 belongs with the D2?  And whatever those reasons are, why do they not equally apply to the D600?

D600 is being lumped with the other current cameras (D4/800/800E) from which it shares no metering, AF, sensor, or body style, button styles etc. but solely shares a sensor size.

That's why I raised the topic.

dpreview also poorly named the forums.  The only forum with the word "Pro" in it is the D100/200/300 forum.

And this forum is called "full frame" but includes a bunch of legacy crop cameras - so tell me, when Nikon comes out with the equivalent of a D5100 set of features in a FF camera, dpreview is going to lump that camera here too judging by the poor name of the forum? This is a motley collection of cameras for a single forum.

I don't think dpreview used clear logic in setting their forum boundaries, except for I guess the *people* of this forum are probably all serious shooters because these cameras are >2K.  But then the *people* in the D300 forum are serious shooters too.

I can also say, what set me off was a couple threads by new D600 owners with dirty sensors treating it as some kind of conspiracy.  Just clean the darn thing and move on!

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads