Defective viewfinder?

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Questions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
jamesbm Regular Member • Posts: 181
Defective viewfinder?

Hi

I recently bought a FDA-EV1S viewfinder for my NEX 5N. It was supposedly "new" but had no seal on the box, didn't come sealed in the packaging (its plastic bag inside the box was already open), and there was no plastic protector on the screen.
There is also a glue like residue round the edge of the viewfinder screen that I cannot remove. This is particularly obvious in the corners.

Can any other FDA-EV1S users tell me: does this read like a customer return or is this normal..?

Thanks in advance!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
kapanak Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: Defective viewfinder?

Return it ASAP.

Dirk W Senior Member • Posts: 2,401
Re: Defective viewfinder?

That does not sound good at all. I read that sometimes the little plastic frame at the front of the viewfinder breaks and then you cannot put it back on - for me this sounds as if someone broke the viewfinder, glued the frame back to hide that it is broken and sent it back.

 Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Sony Alpha a6300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +14 more
jamesbm OP Regular Member • Posts: 181
Re: Defective viewfinder?

Defective NEX FDA-EV1S

Thanks - the eye piece removes and reattaches fine - it is the ring of "glue" visible around the entire edge of the viewfinder screen that is alarming. Guess it is going back

kapanak Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: Defective viewfinder?

jamesbm wrote:

Defective NEX FDA-EV1S

Thanks - the eye piece removes and reattaches fine - it is the ring of "glue" visible around the entire edge of the viewfinder screen that is alarming. Guess it is going back

Just inspected my own EVF. Does not have that halo of haze.

There are two possible causes for that haze. One, something was glued externally, causing its gases to escape under the viewfinder lens. Two, something internally has either popped or been exposed to heat and released such gasses. It could just be water vapour, but it is definitely NOT normal. So get your refund, and if you can, buy from a legit dealer (B&H, Adorama, Sony's own site) even if it costs a little more. The price is down below $250 now, so definitely not as big a bite to buy it at full price from a reputable dealer.

jamesbm OP Regular Member • Posts: 181
Re: Defective viewfinder?

kapanak wrote:

Just inspected my own EVF. Does not have that halo of haze.

There are two possible causes for that haze. One, something was glued externally, causing its gases to escape under the viewfinder lens. Two, something internally has either popped or been exposed to heat and released such gasses. It could just be water vapour, but it is definitely NOT normal. So get your refund, and if you can, buy from a legit dealer (B&H, Adorama, Sony's own site) even if it costs a little more. The price is down below $250 now, so definitely not as big a bite to buy it at full price from a reputable dealer.

This actually came from Amazon.. and it is going back tomorrow morning..
Is the price drop because of the imminent arrival of the NEX6?

Helen
Helen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,547
Re: Defective viewfinder?

jamesbm wrote:

kapanak wrote:

Just inspected my own EVF. Does not have that halo of haze.

There are two possible causes for that haze. One, something was glued externally, causing its gases to escape under the viewfinder lens. Two, something internally has either popped or been exposed to heat and released such gasses. It could just be water vapour, but it is definitely NOT normal. So get your refund, and if you can, buy from a legit dealer (B&H, Adorama, Sony's own site) even if it costs a little more. The price is down below $250 now, so definitely not as big a bite to buy it at full price from a reputable dealer.

This actually came from Amazon.. and it is going back tomorrow morning..
Is the price drop because of the imminent arrival of the NEX6?

Are you in the UK or US?  Was the EVF actually sold by Amazon itself or by an independent trader using Amazon?  I ask because in my experience Amazon (UK in my case) is one of the few retailers I've always been confident of NOT receiving a customer return from when I purchase an item new, and it would be very disturbing if that changed.

jamesbm OP Regular Member • Posts: 181
Re: Defective viewfinder?

This actually came from Amazon.. and it is going back tomorrow morning..
Is the price drop because of the imminent arrival of the NEX6?

Are you in the UK or US?  Was the EVF actually sold by Amazon itself or by an independent trader using Amazon?  I ask because in my experience Amazon (UK in my case) is one of the few retailers I've always been confident of NOT receiving a customer return from when I purchase an item new, and it would be very disturbing if that changed.

Hi Helen,

The supplier was Amazon UK (not a marketplace seller). I have had other non-electronic items that were simmilarly defective previously, but Amazon customer care and returns policy has always been excellent. So fingers crossed..

Thanks

James

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads