I love my D7000,,,,,,,,,but!

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions
Footski
Footski Senior Member • Posts: 2,036
I love my D7000,,,,,,,,,but!

I have had my camera for about a year and love it. Recently I decided to look at the video recording side of things which again, the camera does very well. My 'but' is this. The video records the horrible grinding noise of the auto focus motor, to a degree where any original sound track is useless. I set it to AF-F and it is unusable.

Is this a common complaint when using auto focus in video mode or is there something wrong with my machine?

Footski's gear list:Footski's gear list
Leica V-Lux 4 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm MX-700 Fujifilm FinePix F601 Zoom Samsung NV10 +15 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Seancho Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: I love my D7000,,,,,,,,,but!

Normal, unfortunately.    Either manual focus or get an external mic.     Also, it's not as noticeable when you record louder scenes.

mdiphoto Regular Member • Posts: 149

This is a common problem with DSLR as the microphone records all the noice of the focus motor.

I have this sound recorder to record the sound external (distance to the camera) and syncronize it with the video in post:

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h1

I've also learned to focus manually as the auto-focus in live view is nearly not useable for video.

EYeye Regular Member • Posts: 289

My D600 records clicking sounds, +/or metal on metal soft screech when auto focusing in video with onboard microphone.

Manual focus pretty easy in live view, as is zooming.

EYeye's gear list:EYeye's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon D80 +6 more
Jimmy K.
Jimmy K. Contributing Member • Posts: 859

Another trick is to use smaller aperture and wider DoF.  I try to shoot video at f/11 to f/16.  Works well filming my daughter running around.

Downside.  Dust on sensor shows up in video with smaller aperture.  Might not be as cinematic with shallow DoF.

Footski
OP Footski Senior Member • Posts: 2,036

That's a good idea. I will give it a try...

Footski's gear list:Footski's gear list
Leica V-Lux 4 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm MX-700 Fujifilm FinePix F601 Zoom Samsung NV10 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads