Canon SX40 brand new for $260. Still worth it or get the SX50?

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
NPPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,084
Canon SX40 brand new for $260. Still worth it or get the SX50?

I am in the process to obtain a second bridge camera. I already own the Z990 and while I love the output, I could use some more overall speed with respect to AF, writing to card and generally faster operation from frame to frame.

Is the SX50 much faster than the SX40? I saw a few posts comparing images but couldn't tell which one was necessarily better. I picked up the SX40 for $260 at Fry's and wanted some experts here to help me out.

-- hide signature --

Nick P

Kodak EasyShare Z990 (EasyShare Max)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lalew New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Canon SX40 brand new for $260. Still worth it or get the SX50?

I'm not an expert but I've tried them both.  The SX50 is slightly better but the SX40 is still a very good camera.  It looks like the photo quality is close but the SX50 also offers raw and it does focus faster.  The SX40 is the better value but if I had the extra money I'd go with the SX50.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Marty Too Senior Member • Posts: 1,145

Remember that you can get RAW for free on the SX40 with CHDK .

Stephen Ingraham Senior Member • Posts: 1,466

Both are great cameras...but unless the extra $200 is going to break the bank, the 50 has more to offer at what amounts to a very fair price. Of course this time next year the 50 will at least $100 cheaper...even if they don't release an SX60HS by then

Stephen Ingraham's gear list:Stephen Ingraham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony Alpha NEX-3N NEX-5T +3 more
HagaWaga Junior Member • Posts: 29

For $260 I would definitely buy SX40 even though my target is SX50. SX50 sells for ~$500 in Canada (even our dollar is stronger than US buck) while SX40 goes for ~$330.

So until prices get reasonable I could have a new toy to play with and enjoy snapping nice pictures. Eventually when prices get to ~$370 or similar level, Sx40 would be passed to the next of keen and SX50 will become main camera.

So you made right decision buying SX40 for $260. Lucky you!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads