Using old X-Fujinon lenses on new Fuji X-mount?

Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions
MatW Senior Member • Posts: 1,470
Using old X-Fujinon lenses on new Fuji X-mount?

Hi everybody

I own three X-Fujinon lenses from a Fujica camera (28mm/3.5, 50mm/1.6 and 200mm/4.5) and was wondering whether anybody knows of an adapter which would allow me to use them on a camera with the new X-mount?

Searching Ebay and Google was not netting any results, unfortunately. So I am beginning to fear that there really is no adapter available. Fuji's decision to name the two mounts nearly the same does not make things simpler. :/

The finish and feel of the old lenses is wonderful, it would be great to finally be able to put them to use again.

MatW's gear list:MatW's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
oking23 Regular Member • Posts: 267
Re: Using old X-Fujinon lenses on new Fuji X-mount?

I actually have the same question.  I purchased all of the old bayonet lenses and used them with the, AX-1, AX-3, AX-5, and Multtprogram.  Remember those cameras?  Anyway, I ordered the XE-1 and would love to use those lenses again, especially the 50mm(1.2), the 35-70mm(2.8-3.7), and the 100mm(2.8). I hope the new lenses are of similar quality to those classics.

oking23's gear list:oking23's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +18 more
Vic Chapman Veteran Member • Posts: 9,433

If your lenses are early screw thread Fujinons then yes, get the adapter for Fuji X mount to 42mm screw fitting.

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 +12 more
OP MatW Senior Member • Posts: 1,470

Vic Chapman wrote:

If your lenses are early screw thread Fujinons then yes, get the adapter for Fuji X mount to 42mm screw fitting.

I wish they were, but they have Fuji's old proprietary X mount: http://www.billead.com/fujinon/

There is an adapter for the Fujinon X mount to m4/3 and the NEX system, hopefully such an adapter will follow for the new x-mount.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Bad Pic kev Veteran Member • Posts: 8,759

one of the things i hope for. i have about 12 old x mount lenses, including a 60-300 f4-5.6

-- hide signature --

I have a picture, pinned to my wall. An image of you and of me and we're laughing and loving it all.

Bad Pic kev's gear list:Bad Pic kev's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more

Help!  Anyone?

Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +18 more
Heritage Cameras
Heritage Cameras Contributing Member • Posts: 993

Unfortunately there don't seem to be any commercial adapters yet for using X-Fujinon lenses on the X-Pro1 or XE-1. I'm sure it's only a matter of time, as such adapters are already available for Micro Four Thirds and Sony NEX, and there are no additional technical challenges. I can't think of any combination of existing adapters that would work, either.

In the meantime, perhaps you could make something yourself using parts from (for example) a Fujica X tele converter or extension tube?

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

JasperD
JasperD Senior Member • Posts: 2,662

I´d ask Kipon, Novoflex and the like about that and see what comes out of it. Sometimes, those guys only need to see a market for it to produce one...

Heritage Cameras wrote:

Unfortunately there don't seem to be any commercial adapters yet for using X-Fujinon lenses on the X-Pro1 or XE-1. I'm sure it's only a matter of time, as such adapters are already available for Micro Four Thirds and Sony NEX, and there are no additional technical challenges. I can't think of any combination of existing adapters that would work, either.

In the meantime, perhaps you could make something yourself using parts from (for example) a Fujica X tele converter or extension tube?

Thanks for the response.  I wish I were that talented to create my own adapter.

Heritage Cameras

oking23 wrote:

Thanks for the response.  I wish I were that talented to create my own adapter.

There are photo engineering companies that could make one for you, but the cost for such a one-off is likely to be much higher than the value of the lenses. Here are a couple that undertake such work:

SK Grimes (USA)

SRB-Griturn (UK)

...but the best solution (and almost certainly the least expensive) is probably just to wait. We'd be surprised if someone didn't produce one of these adapters soon.

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

OP MatW Senior Member • Posts: 1,470

Heritage Cameras wrote:

...but the best solution (and almost certainly the least expensive) is probably just to wait. We'd be surprised if someone didn't produce one of these adapters soon.

I agree, this and writing to the usual adapter manufacterers to show them that there is a market for such adapters is the probably the best thing to do right now.

Heritage Cameras

There might be a combination of existing products (rings, adapters) which will do the job... I'll think about this some more, and experiment with some bits and pieces to see what I can come with.

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

PG Thomas Contributing Member • Posts: 688

The Kipon adapters are reasonably priced if you want to experiment. Perhaps the X to Pentax K mount would be a start.

On that the K mount is held in place with 4 equaly spaced screws. Centred on a diameter of 55mm. The K mount itself is a shade under 60mm diameter.

It just might be possible to pick up an old (broken) Fuji camera with a mount, which could be machined to fit the Kippon when the Pentax K mount is removed....

Peter

PG Thomas's gear list:PG Thomas's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm X10 Pentax K20D Pentax K-1 Fujifilm X-T2 +17 more

I am trying to keep this discussing alive, in case anyone locates useful information.  It would be appreciated.

JamF New Member • Posts: 9

This may help. The link below shows an X-Pro1 with an adapted M42 lens (EBC Fujinon 50mm f1.4).

http://www.flickr.com/groups/xpro/discuss/72157629299261806/

Also check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance, where it says the FFD for Fujinon FX lenses is reported to be 43.50 mm, that's identical to Minolta MD lenses. So you can try an M42 to XP1 adaptor or Minolta MD to XP1 adaptor to see if your lenses fit.

oking23 wrote:

I am trying to keep this discussing alive, in case anyone locates useful information. It would be appreciated.

I am trying to keep the "discussion" alive.  Sorry about that.

JamF wrote:

This may help. The link below shows an X-Pro1 with an adapted M42 lens (EBC Fujinon 50mm f1.4).

http://www.flickr.com/groups/xpro/discuss/72157629299261806/

Also check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance, where it says the FFD for Fujinon FX lenses is reported to be 43.50 mm, that's identical to Minolta MD lenses. So you can try an M42 to XP1 adaptor or Minolta MD to XP1 adaptor to see if your lenses fit.

Thanks.  I have seen adaptors for the M42 (screw mount) lenses.  However, the X-Fujinon were the beyonet mount lenses.

Good news!!  After several email exchanges, I finally convinced an Ebay seller to produce an adapter that allows the old Fujinon X mount lenses to be used on the X-Pro 1 and X-E1.  I received an email today, indicating that they were now available, and made an immediate purchase.  I expect to receive it within the next two weeks, since they are being mailed from China.  The seller is Dreamhouse403.  I believe they are also sold under Discoverdigi168.  For those who are interested, I will update this thread after I have received and tested it.  The price was $30.00

Heritage Cameras

oking23 wrote:

Good news!! After several email exchanges, I finally convinced an Ebay seller to produce an adapter that allows the old Fujinon X mount lenses to be used on the X-Pro 1 and X-E1. I received an email today, indicating that they were now available, and made an immediate purchase. I expect to receive it within the next two weeks, since they are being mailed from China. The seller is Dreamhouse403. I believe they are also sold under Discoverdigi168. For those who are interested, I will update this thread after I have received and tested it. The price was $30.00

Excellent news - well done! Are these adapters listed on eBay?

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

JasperD
JasperD Senior Member • Posts: 2,662

Perform a search on ´Lens mount adapter for FUJI X-FUJINON Lens to Fujifilm X-Pro 1 Mount Adapter´ (without the quotes) and it should show it right away. 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads