SX50 UV filter...what are the options?

Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions
pworden New Member • Posts: 4
Re: SX50 UV filter...what are the options?

Bev,

I've been searching for information about the Canon or Bower 67mm lens adaptors for the SX50. I have an SX40 and a new SX50. The filter adaptor fits well on the SX40 but not the 50. I can attach it but the adaptor and filter comes off really easily. I have an investment in four 67mm filters and hate to give up and buy the 58mm Lensmate that, I guess, was specifically made to fit the different SX50 lens.

So, that's why I'm writing - have you had no problem fitting the Canon 67mm lens adaptor to your SX50? I don't know what I'm doing wrong and would like some advice. I don't want to force it onto the lens barrel and would like to keep my lens adaptors on each filter, then just pop 'em on and off as needed, but right now, I don't see how that's practical.

I'm hoping someone makes a good-fitting 67mm adaptor, or to get a good answer about how to fit this onto the SX50 regularly, without potential damage. Thanks for any advice.

DC Alford Veteran Member • Posts: 4,144
Re: pworden...

pworden wrote:

Bev,

I've been searching for information about the Canon or Bower 67mm lens adaptors for the SX50. I have an SX40 and a new SX50. The filter adaptor fits well on the SX40 but not the 50. I can attach it but the adaptor and filter comes off really easily. I have an investment in four 67mm filters and hate to give up and buy the 58mm Lensmate that, I guess, was specifically made to fit the different SX50 lens.

So, that's why I'm writing - have you had no problem fitting the Canon 67mm lens adaptor to your SX50? I don't know what I'm doing wrong and would like some advice. I don't want to force it onto the lens barrel and would like to keep my lens adaptors on each filter, then just pop 'em on and off as needed, but right now, I don't see how that's practical.

I'm hoping someone makes a good-fitting 67mm adaptor, or to get a good answer about how to fit this onto the SX50 regularly, without potential damage. Thanks for any advice.

Sorry I can't help you with this.

Hopefully someone that can help you will look in, but since this thread is two months old there is a chance your question might go unnoticed.

Maybe start a new thread & ask your questions to the forum directly?

There are alot of SX50 shooters here, I almost guarantee you would get a positive response.

Good luck,

Dan.

 DC Alford's gear list:DC Alford's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD950 IS Kodak EasyShare C875 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR +1 more
lanef Forum Pro • Posts: 10,317
Re: SX50 UV filter...what are the options?

Does the SX50 come with a lens hood? I would like to know as mine is coming in a couple of days.

lanef Forum Pro • Posts: 10,317
Re: Nearly

lanef wrote:

Does the SX50 come with a lens hood? I would like to know as mine is coming in a couple of days.

Actually, it will land at my door steps in any minute, just checked the tracking number, it is on board with the delivery guy. So anytime soon. Santa is coming to town right now.

Dansby Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: SX50 UV filter...what are the options?

Has anyone tried a screw on hood on a filter ?

lanef Forum Pro • Posts: 10,317
Re: SX50 UV filter...what are the options?

Dansby wrote:

Has anyone tried a screw on hood on a filter ?

I guess the collapsible rubber hood could be not bad.

Dansby Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: SX50 UV filter...what are the options?
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 22,684
Re: SX50 UV filter...what are the options?

lanef wrote:

Dansby wrote:

Has anyone tried a screw on hood on a filter ?

I guess the collapsible rubber hood could be not bad.

Collapsible rubber hoods are next to useless.  Theyr'e too generic - just because it screws on to the filter doesn't mean it's right for the lens.  The petal or round shape of lens hoods designed for a specific lens shade the lens properly from flare.

Also, rubber hoods really don't offer much protection.  A plastic hood saved an 80-400mm zoom mounted on my DSLR when it went down lens first.  A rubber hood would have collapsed and done nothing.

Mark

Seno Soetanto New Member • Posts: 1
Re: SX50 UV filter...what are the options?

Using a 67mm filter on Canon SX50HS is a must. Because if you use 58mm filter, it will cause vignetting on your picture. That's why Canon, Inc. recommend a 67mm filter adapter instead of 58mm.

You can't use 58mm filter directly on your camera because there is no thread for filter in the lens barrel.

saycheese
saycheese Contributing Member • Posts: 589
Re: SX50 UV filter...what are the options?

Seno Soetanto wrote:

Using a 67mm filter on Canon SX50HS is a must. Because if you use 58mm filter, it will cause vignetting on your picture. That's why Canon, Inc. recommend a 67mm filter adapter instead of 58mm.

You can't use 58mm filter directly on your camera because there is no thread for filter in the lens barrel.

For Sale: (SX50 model) Lensmate adapter and 58mm Hoya polariser, apparently I can't use it on the SX50.

 saycheese's gear list:saycheese's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS +1 more
CARREGAL70 Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: SX50 UV filter...what are the options?

I have an SX50 and obtained a 58mm adaptor from Lensmate - I think Richard Franiec makes them.

I screwed a Hoya UV filter (58mm) onto it for protection.

Hope this helps.

 CARREGAL70's gear list:CARREGAL70's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Sony a6000 Sony a6300
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads