Are people jumping on 5N deals?

Started Oct 14, 2012 | Discussions
JohnyP Contributing Member • Posts: 958
Are people jumping on 5N deals?

Seems like the price is right to pick one up, but i'm personally hesitant. Even though i think the quality is great, the form factore and the size with some of the lenses makes it an awkward camera. Especially when trying to travel light.

Jefenator
Jefenator Senior Member • Posts: 2,411
Re: Are people jumping on 5N deals?

I'd be a liar if I said I hadn't thought about it. (As a second body to my N7, eventually dedicate it to use with the CV15mm?.) Then I remind myself of what my dad used to say: it's not a good deal if you don't need it.

If the N5 is too large for your needs, you might want to wait for the RX100 to get discontinued.

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Canon EOS M +3 more
Robert Morris Contributing Member • Posts: 767

I had decided to try a Nex when I read about the 6 but with the deals going on I pick up the 5n and a  few lenses to hold me over till the 6 ships. I got a Nex 5n with kit lens, a 55-210, 16 and extra battery and 32 Gb Class 10 card for $900.00

-- hide signature --

RM

Robert Morris's gear list:Robert Morris's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony RX100 II Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Nikon D90 +36 more
fozz12 New Member • Posts: 6

i jumped on a refurbashed 5N with kit lens and all accessories at a Wisconsin Sony outlet last week for $369.

losangeles Contributing Member • Posts: 655

I got my 5R and the dynamic range and sharpness of the sensor is outstanding. I suspect that it will test as good or better than the sensor of the 5N, but we have yet to see what the professional testers come up with.

cactusgeorge
cactusgeorge Regular Member • Posts: 124

I bought a second 5N body from Adorama for $369.00.  Free postage.

SimonV Regular Member • Posts: 261

JohnyP wrote:

Seems like the price is right to pick one up, but i'm personally hesitant. Even though i think the quality is great, the form factore and the size with some of the lenses makes it an awkward camera. Especially when trying to travel light.

I sold my 5d Mk II for a Nex-5n, one of the major reasons being the lighter weight. If you compare it to a DSLR, you can't really find a lens that will make the Nex be nearly as heavy. Even with a clunky 18-200 on there, you'll get a combined approximate weight of only a DSLR body. And while it may occasionally look awkward, there's really no way to avoid this if you want a small camera with a quality lens.

I'm not telling you that it's perfect for you, but I personally really like the light weight and image quality I get from the Nex, especially when comparing to my former 5d2, which of course has superior image quality, but it's pretty obvious that it would. I used to get neck pains and dizzy spells from carrying around a 5d2 with lenses (close to 20 pounds of gear), but with the Nex I honestly sometimes have to check my bag since it's so light it feels like it's empty. If you want a light camera with great image quality, the deals on the 5N are indeed very good right now. Only obvious downside to the Nex is the limited lens selection, but I still think it's decent, and it's slowly getting better.

oowtfmang Regular Member • Posts: 118

JohnyP wrote:

Got mine for $420 at Adorama.. Such a great deal for an amazing camera.

Oxheart Contributing Member • Posts: 876

Yep, I picked up a 2nd 5N.   Faster AF of the 5R is not really that tempting, since I mostly use NEX for still subjects.  That saves me a chunk of change toward the Zeiss 12/2.8 for next year.

Miwok
Miwok Contributing Member • Posts: 711

oowtfmang wrote:

Got mine for $420 at Adorama.. Such a great deal for an amazing camera.

Lucky you!

I ordered the $419 promotion (NEX 5N + 18-55) the first october at Adorama.

Today (Oct 15), I got this message from them.

"We are sorry to inform that we just ran out of stock while the promotion is ongoing. 
We turly apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you--"

Not cool, Adorama. How did you discount items you don't have in stock!

Good for me I didn't sale my NEX-3 yet or I will be without camera

I'm not happy at all about Adorama.

Philippe
http://www.flickr.com/photos/miwok/

Miwok's gear list:Miwok's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | A
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads