LR4/CS6 with Kodak files?

Started Oct 13, 2012 | Discussions
Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,606
LR4/CS6 with Kodak files?

Hi Folks,

Yes, I know I could try this stuff myself .... but its nice to start new threads here so ....

Anyone done any comparisons with the new(ish) 2012 ACR process engine to see how Kodak files fare? I've noticed that some things light highlight recovery are vastly improved with some cameras, not so much with others.

Curious to hear other peoples experiences so far.

Cheers

Ga.

John Nollendorfs Contributing Member • Posts: 814
Re: LR4/CS6 with Kodak files?

Hi Big Ga!

I just got CS6, but haven't installed yet. Maybe next week. But I sure like the results from CS5 on the Kodak much better than CS4. I'll  give you an update later in the week.

Got the D800E several months back. The 14nx has been sitting unused since. Amazing how good even ISO 3200 files look. I hate tripods!

-- hide signature --

John

Mescalamba Contributing Member • Posts: 856

I have only few RAWs from SLR/n, but it seems as pretty nice improvement to me. LR4 is really nice step up in processing for pretty much every camera. Even my old KM 7D.

AlexeyD Senior Member • Posts: 1,118

On your D800 try to shoot near saturation point  (not the specular lights of course) and the recover details. Do the same on Kodak and then compare the results colour wise  - you may be in for some interesting discoveries about what D800 does not do so well.

OP Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,606

AlexeyD wrote:

On your D800 try to shoot near saturation point  (not the specular lights of course) and the recover details. Do the same on Kodak and then compare the results colour wise  - you may be in for some interesting discoveries about what D800 does not do so well.

Ok, will try at some point (really busy at the moment though).

Care to share your findings though? It wouldn't surprise me if the SLRn does allow a little more highlight recovery. I always found that the metering was biased for this (again, surprising given how poor the shadow noise is). Or are you talking about something like banding/posterisation ??

If you want to see a modern camera that's pretty incredible for this though, try and Oly EM5. They have pretty much set it to underexpose by one full stop less than normal. Headroom recovery is really excellent.

Cheers

Care to share your findings though? It wouldn't surprise me if the SLRn does allow a little more highlight recovery. I always found that the metering was biased for this (again, surprising given how poor the shadow noise is). Or are you talking about something like banding/posterisation ??

I would (not my findings though but those tests are easily repeatable) - you may need to use Google translator from Russian on this link and this link. There is also quite a few other forums where studio shots are discussed and examples shown of what goes on with colours closer to the point of saturation. I recall seeing an interesting studio shot of a model with reflection of light on her cheek where colours gone to a very strange hue. From what I seen so far the colours on D800 are definitely better than say D700 but still not up to what Kodak can do and having strange things going on in highlights range really put me off. I was thinking to go for D800 but after trying it out and a chance to try Kodak - I went for Kodak. Not having any regrets (apart from not doing it earlier ).

If you want to see a modern camera that's pretty incredible for this though, try and Oly EM5. They have pretty much set it to underexpose by one full stop less than normal. Headroom recovery is really excellent.

I love Oly's m4/3 cameras - some of them have really good colour. But I am not at a position to change camera system now and I really wanted a full frame for the Nikon lenses I have so Kodak was really my only choice in terms of a good colour.

I always found that the metering was biased for this (again, surprising given how poor the shadow noise is).

Just wanted to comment on this. In my experience with Kodak shadow noise is only "poor" if you are using the wrong convertor. Stop using ACR/LR and move onto RPP and you may be in for a surprise at Kodak shadows performance. I for one found it favourably comparable to Nikon's D200 (the one I used a lot before). D300 shadows are cleaner at higher ISOs but not really any better at the base ISO (if not worse in some cases I encountered).

This is especially admirable if you remember that SLR/n does not have a high ISO so to speak (Kodak does not use a hardware ISO amplifier). Any shots say at ISO 320 will be simply shot at base ISO 160 underexposed by stop. This is why for Kodak the choice of raw convertor is paramount to get a good results.

buggz Regular Member • Posts: 165

I tried the Kodak Photodesk app, and like ACR/CS6 better.

I don't like the Photodesk software because you are FORCED to pick from "looks".

I just wanted a native linear output with NO adjustments, and then send the resultant file to ACR.

Oh, I use a SLR/C, I only shoot RAW.

I don't like the Photodesk software because you are FORCED to pick from "looks".

You can always create perfectly linear look yourself - its like preset. Also if you think that LR/ACR will give you a neutral settings when everything is 0 - that is not correct. There are silent exposure corrections (differing per-camera model) and blurring of the channels that you cannot take off.

Mescalamba Contributing Member • Posts: 856

Its bit harder way, but you can convert RAWs to DNG and then process with anything you like. For example DCraw will give you completely flat output (well it should), or what Im using is RawTherapee. DNG from SLR/n processed with RawTherapee are completely flat.

Dunno about other way as Kodak RAWs are not much supported..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads