New to Panasonic G5 and M43 - a couple of questions?

Started Oct 13, 2012 | Discussions
Lawrence Becker Regular Member • Posts: 395
New to Panasonic G5 and M43 - a couple of questions?

I'm a Canon 5DII shooter with lots of nice L glass, nice HEAVY L glass, and wanted a good travel camera that wasn't too expensive - The Olympus OM-D fit the bill but was more than I wanted to spend (started out looking at the Canon G1X, but the G5 14-42 Kit lens, with $100 rebate, fit the bill.  With that and the 45-175 (local store matched Amazon), I think I'm set to travel light. (I know, not L lens quality, but they seem ok and up to 8x10's print well from raw captures/pp in PS6).

I was reading a review of the G5 here: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_g5_review/

...and saw this: "On the left of the G5 is the MIC / Remote socket for use with the optional remote shutter release and external microphone, and two connection ports, including a HDMI port for connecting the G5 to a HD television or monitor."

Not a deal-breaker for me, but this doesn't seem to be true. The manual doesn't mention it, and trying it in the store with a Sennheiser video mic, the jack doesn't seem to function as a MIC input. I don't see anything in the menu system either. Am I missing something here, or does the jack not work as an external mic input and the reviewer is wrong? I saw that someone asked about it on the review site a while back but the question wasn't answered.

Again, not make or break - primary function for the camera is for vacation and casual photos, but it would have been a nice plus.

Second question - Flash... the pop-up is ok, but maybe the Panasonic FL-360? Seems a little, well, older technology, but maybe ok. Or the Metz 50 Af1? Or???

Thanks for your patience with the M43 newbie...

-- hide signature --

Larry Becker

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
grumpyolderman Senior Member • Posts: 1,085
Re: New to Panasonic G5 and M43 - a couple of questions?

Hello Larry

The G5 has no jack for an external mic, just plain wrong....they must have thought, hey this looks like the right thing....works well for a remote!

I have a 25 years old Centon FG105D, works as good as it gets with manual flash, bounce and so on, twive as heavey as the camera, but very strong and ideal for bounces....I can use it at 1/16 of the max and fire a flash as fast as the camera will shoot, no end... and it cost me a 5-er on ebay, to replace the old one that fried when it was turned on before i slipped i on the camera, this one was 15 pounds.

The video quality is really good, imho, i use it with some old canon manula lens from a broadcast video set, brilliant!

JL

robonrome
robonrome Senior Member • Posts: 2,219

Hi - I bought the G3 as a lightweight travel supplement to my 5D2 and have just upgraded to the G5 (and 5d3). Try this link below - it says that the G5 doesn't have the remote jack functioning as a mic jack as it does apparently with the GH2.

http://www.digitalversus.com/digital-camera/panasonic-lumix-g5-p13837/test.html

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M1 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +14 more
DElliott Senior Member • Posts: 1,058

While my G2 has a mic jack, I believe they removed it starting with the G3.  From what I've read, the G5 maintains the lack of mic jack.

As for an external flash, I'd avoid the generally more expensive Panasonic flashes, given that they are twins of Oly flashes (Panasonic FL-360 = Oly FL36, Pany FL-500 = Oly FL50).  What I'd recommend is the newish Oly FL-600R.  I'm likely to eventually replace my Oly FL36 with it.

OP Lawrence Becker Regular Member • Posts: 395

Thanks for the link- yup, no jack. Probably to differentiate the G5 from the more video-oriented GH models? My guess... Not a priority for me, though.

-- hide signature --

Larry Becker

I remember that old Canon flash-it's HUGE!

Going for the light, more travel-friendly version of my camera kit-small, light camera, lenses and flash...

when I need to shoot good video, I use my Canon XF300. Now THAT'S a beast!

-- hide signature --

Larry Becker

That Olympus flash looks pretty good - lodes it actually work with the Panasonic G5?  Cursory Googling suggests some features are supported, but not all. I wonder if Panasonic is coming out with its own version...

-- hide signature --

Larry Becker

dezignman Senior Member • Posts: 1,591
That error was cut and pasted...

..from their review on the G3 where it is also an error.  No mic jack on the G5.  I guess they feel it would take away sales of the GH2 and new GH3.  The video on the G5 is really great though.

DElliott Senior Member • Posts: 1,058

Yes, Oly flashes are compatible and provide TTL metering with Pany bodies.  The existing Pany models are simply re-badged Oly models.

As for a Pany version of the FL-600, I suspect that the forthcoming Pany FL-360L is the twin of theFL-600.  See:

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh3/still_expandability.html

But if past history holds, the Pany version will be more expensive.  But I've little additional information about the FL-360L at this point.

One FL-600 feature that will definitely not be supported by the G5 is wireless flash control.  The GH3 is the first Panasonic camera to allow for that feature.

Significant advantages the FL-600 has over the FL-36 and the FL-360 are:

1) takes 4AAs, and provides much faster flash recycling

2) head rotates a full 360 degrees, rather than the 90 in one direction and 180 in the other.

3) tilt and rotation only requires one button push, rather than two

4) Video light (not entirely sure if/how this works with the G5 - I'd be interested in knowing as well).

Re: That error was cut and pasted...

Looks like that to me as well -

The new Panasonic flash will probably be introduced with the GH3. I find myself wishing I'd waited for that one, but it's more money than I wanted to spend, and for my use, the G5 is going to be really good. Hoping that the new flash functions otherwise correctly with the G5.

-- hide signature --

Larry Becker

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads