Next toy; macro, flash, or prime?

Started Oct 13, 2012 | Discussions
ranger604 Regular Member • Posts: 123
Next toy; macro, flash, or prime?

All three have merits, but assuming that I only have my beloved a77 and a 18250, what (in your opinion) should be my next upgrade?  I'm leaning towards flash at the moment.

any advice/considerations readily accepted..

thanks in advance..

ranger604's gear list:ranger604's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Minolta DiMAGE X Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-A3 +8 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
brian14478
brian14478 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,703
Re: Next toy; macro, flash, or prime?

http://www.amazon.com/Metz-MZ-36356S-Digital-Cameras/dp/B004Q9SXTQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1350099233&sr=8-4&keywords=metz+flash+sony   metz flash and a minolta 50mm1.7 would run around $200 together...the flash is firmware upgradeable.two purchases you probably will never 'outgrow'....good luck,brian

rickztahone
rickztahone Contributing Member • Posts: 527

Flash opens so much more photographic opportunities, well over what a Macro or prime may get you, although every photographer should have at least one prime.

SO,

Flash

Prime

Macro

In that order.

rickztahone's gear list:rickztahone's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +19 more
gooseta
gooseta Contributing Member • Posts: 707

It depends what you plan to do with a flash. But I would go for the prime personally as I hate using flash.

-- hide signature --

Angad S. aka gooseta
Amateur photographer
NEW SITE : angadsrin.zenfolio.com

gooseta's gear list:gooseta's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +1 more
iHedo
iHedo Regular Member • Posts: 199

gooseta wrote:

It depends what you plan to do with a flash. But I would go for the prime personally as I hate using flash.

Same here. But when I do use flash I just put a piece of paper and tape on it so I can get a good flash at least. Aperture of 1.4 and 2.8 give space from buying flash.

But all in all we do need flash, though its not my priority.

iHedo's gear list:iHedo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 50mm F1.4 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
OP ranger604 Regular Member • Posts: 123

Thanks all, for the input..

i think the Sony 43 is at the top of the list..

Thanks again..

Olympus Tough TG-4 Minolta DiMAGE X Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-A3 +8 more
Wilesmith New Member • Posts: 6

hi there

Great to hear you have an a77, but you need decent glass to do it justice. What type of photography do you do? Because if you want a prime and a macro you could get the 50mm f2.8,  otherwise I would seriously recommend either the 16-80cz or the 18-50kit as they are both great lenses and you need that before you start getting into flashes, just my opinion

Regards George

Wilesmith's gear list:Wilesmith's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +6 more
realgeek Senior Member • Posts: 1,395
Macro = prime

On the one hand, a flash is pretty important -- depending on what you shoot.

On the other hand, a macro lens is (or at least, should be) a prime.  So, you kill two birds with one stone.  Moreover, if you make it a 90mm or 100mm macro, then you also have a a great portrait lens.  (50mm, a little less so.)

realgeek's gear list:realgeek's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +3 more
dNick33 Forum Member • Posts: 81

I'll second what George says. I have the A77 also, and bought it with the 16-50, which I love! I made the mistake of buying the 18-250, thinking it would be a nice all-round lens, before I understood the limitations of making a lens with a wide zoom range (this was my first interchangeable lens camera). I still use it when I need >50mm, but the results are nowhere near as sharp as the 1650 through much of the range. If I were doing it again I wouldn't bother with the 18-250 and I would get a zoom that didn't go so wide to go with the 16-50. I know that's not quite what you're asking for, but the 16-50 my double up and give you what you're looking for out of a prime.

dNick33's gear list:dNick33's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM
Dangerous Lee Junior Member • Posts: 47

I went with macro (SAL50M28) then flash (HVL-F43AM). I would do this route again if i had to do it over. Although, I only waited 3 months between. It is my main lens and I always have the flash on hand.

Dangerous Lee's gear list:Dangerous Lee's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II Sony SLT-A33 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +2 more
Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,010

Screw flash, go with a prime. Flash, when you're talking about simple on-camera strobes, produces trashy images unless you're really careful and understand what you're doing, and even the "nice" ones tend to be dicey. When going for strobes, the way to go is off camera dedicated units and probably an assistant to help get it all set up.

A prime, on the other hand, is just plain fun and tends to turn out stellar images almost by itself.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a99 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +7 more
RandyPD Regular Member • Posts: 259
Re: Macro = prime

Actually with APS-C sensors, 50mm is an almost ideal portrait lens (75mm equivalent). If you want to experiment with shallow DOF for portraits, a 50 1.4 is a good lens. You can get a used Minolta 50 1.4 cheap in Ebay if you get lucky.

OP ranger604 Regular Member • Posts: 123

dNick33 wrote:

I'll second what George says. I have the A77 also, and bought it with the 16-50, which I love! I made the mistake of buying the 18-250, thinking it would be a nice all-round lens, before I understood the limitations of making a lens with a wide zoom range (this was my first interchangeable lens camera). I still use it when I need >50mm, but the results are nowhere near as sharp as the 1650 through much of the range. If I were doing it again I wouldn't bother with the 18-250 and I would get a zoom that didn't go so wide to go with the 16-50. I know that's not quite what you're asking for, but the 16-50 my double up and give you what you're looking for out of a prime.

Yup,  same boat.  Don't know that I would call the 18250 a 'mistake' though.  I toiled long and hard over buying the a77 with the 'kit' lens, and regret it now that I didn't. C'est la vie.

ideally this decision might be easier if somebody came up with some more options when it comes to weather-sealed lenses.  I live in western Canada where once in awhile ~ahem~ it rains.

I had never really considered the 50mm macro due to lack of HSM (or SSM, or whatever).. kids are speedy.

thanks again, everyone.  I was close to the flash decision, but now I'm not so sure.  Perhaps Santa's pockets are a little deeper this year.

alphacam
alphacam Contributing Member • Posts: 949

ok i'm voting for deeper pockets!!

- short range f/2.8 zoom lens
- some book
- flash
- prime or macro lens
- photo class/training 
- longer zoom lens
- another tripod
- another camera bag