How many shots on average will NEX-5N last?

Started Oct 10, 2012 | Discussions
Kalainen Contributing Member • Posts: 693
How many shots on average will NEX-5N last?

I bought myself 5N about two months ago and I have already taken over 7000 shots (loving it!). I'm just wondering how long will my 5N last with this shooting-rate? Anybody have any ideas what is average count for this type camera before breaking?

pmow
pmow Contributing Member • Posts: 825
Re: How many shots on average will NEX-5N last?

Kalainen wrote:

I bought myself 5N about two months ago and I have already taken over 7000 shots (loving it!). I'm just wondering how long will my 5N last with this shooting-rate? Anybody have any ideas what is average count for this type camera before breaking?

Hard drive makers use MTTF (mean time to failure) rates to indicate the statistical probability of failure, although such numbers are meaningless from a practical stangpoint.

Taking 3500 shots a month is a good way to test the limits.  I've always thought that the power switch is a little iffy.  The shutter button seems to be what you're asking about.

You may want to get in contact with the Camera Shutter Life DB to get NEXs added:

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

pmow's gear list:pmow's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,560

Kalainen wrote:

Estimates vary from 25,000 to 150,000 and anywhere in between.

I would assume a minimum of 50,000 shots, and probably more like 100,000 shots are easily achievable. Using Electronic Front Shutter definitely should help, as only one curtain has to move.

At your rate, 100,000 shots would take a little under three years.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a7 II Sony a7R II +36 more
trekkeruss Veteran Member • Posts: 3,899

How in the world did you manage to shot 7000 pictures in two months?!

Robert Morris Contributing Member • Posts: 810

Don't worry you will probably be ready for a new camera before your shutter gives out. I have a D70 one of my first good digital from early 2004 and the shutter count on it is 200,000 +. I use it now when I go backpacking, boating, skiing etc and don't want to risk damage to a newer camera. Plus I am sure the newer shutters tech is much better now than in 2004.

Shoot-Shoot-Shoot and have fun and learn.

-- hide signature --

RM

Robert Morris's gear list:Robert Morris's gear list
Sony RX100 II Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Nikon D90 Nikon 1 V1 +42 more
linetest Regular Member • Posts: 308

7,000 photos already? Wow! Is every shot you take have burst mode enabled? I like taking pics, but that is like 5 years for me. What photo organizing software do you use?

ikewinski Junior Member • Posts: 49

I've got two NEX-5Ns that I bought last February, primarily for making time lapses. A quick count shows 258,623 photos in my archives. I've also deleted thousands that didn't come out for some reason and wouldn't be surprised if the real count is closer to 300k.

So I think that it's reasonable to assume "more than 125,000".

OP Kalainen Contributing Member • Posts: 693

ikewinski wrote:

I've got two NEX-5Ns that I bought last February, primarily for making time lapses. A quick count shows 258,623 photos in my archives. I've also deleted thousands that didn't come out for some reason and wouldn't be surprised if the real count is closer to 300k.

This is comforting answer, thank you for sharing your knowledge here. I can safely continue shooting as I like and not to worry if the camera will fail because of that.

OP Kalainen Contributing Member • Posts: 693

linetest wrote:

7,000 photos already? Wow! Is every shot you take have burst mode enabled? I like taking pics, but that is like 5 years for me. What photo organizing software do you use?

Well I only have 700 keepers, so about 10 % is alright for my purposes. I shoot mainly people (family, friends etc) and some nature. Coming from graphics design background I do have some ambition involved and I do use burst mode from time to time (getting right facial expression). So in reality its not so much, but there is some work involved when choosing shots later on..

For organizing things I chose Lightroom. Allthought it's a bit sluggish from time to time, I find it very nice for my needs - at least I dont have to tolerate Photoshop or windows filesystem for basic things.

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,150

Kalainen wrote:

ikewinski wrote:

This is comforting answer, thank you for sharing your knowledge here. I can safely continue shooting as I like and not to worry if the camera will fail because of that.

Yes, shutter life estimates are somewhat meaningless and more of one company trying to show they have a better shutter or something.  Bottom line is, shoot your camera how you want, if the shutter fails in a couple years a replacement used camera will likely be less expensive than a new camera.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
FuzzyQball
FuzzyQball Senior Member • Posts: 1,632

I am close to 4K and I bought in June.   I had a  job where I used to take 5000 a week with a well used Cannon point and shoot.  Think I took 70,000 or so I the course of a year.  Typically these things are built to last.  Have fun and don't worry.  Chances are you will be looking for a replacement in two years or so.

-- hide signature --

Glenn

FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
FuzzyQball
FuzzyQball Senior Member • Posts: 1,632

I have done 5000 in one week, or 20,000 in a month for work.  It is easy to do 7k!  

-- hide signature --

Glenn

FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads