645 PRO

Started Oct 10, 2012 | Discussions
Teddy Senior Member • Posts: 1,844
645 PRO

Anybody used this app yet?

Any thoughts?

I know it's been featured in DPReview before:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04/20/645-PRo-offers-camera-control-and-uncompressed-output

But can't find any reviews yet.

-- hide signature --

just me
Teddy

Teddy's gear list:Teddy's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +4 more
cosmoxl Contributing Member • Posts: 597
Re: 645 PRO

I have used it and compared the output to regular camera app output and could see no difference in either compression artifacts or "dynamic range".

cosmoxl's gear list:cosmoxl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +5 more
Richard Earney Regular Member • Posts: 120

I find it to be a really great app, quality wise. Despite the previous poster, I do notice the difference (paste a JPG on top of the TIFF and do a Difference Layer in PS).

The only thing I dislike is that the interface is a bit cluttered, and fiddly to use. For example the dial selector for choosing film size takes a fair amount of precision to swap quickly. And the controls are a little overwhelming. Ideally some of the functions could be dispensed with in the primary interface (ie: if you are going for ultimate quality would you really use flash? Is grid something you really want to change all the time?) Again for an app boasting about the best quality - go for the Less is More approach (like their other apps 6x6 and 6x7).

Having said all that, it does capture great images, and the variety of formats is great, I tend to use 6x6, 6x7, 645 and 6x17 and as with the best of apps the 'quality' factor makes me slow down and think about my photography, which is always a great way to approach a shoot.

-- hide signature --
 Richard Earney's gear list:Richard Earney's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Zeiss Touit 50mm F2.8
Allan Crowson Regular Member • Posts: 209

I agree with the second responder. It seems to me there is a difference in quality between the TIFF available via 645 Pro and the normal output of Apple's Camera app. That said, the camera on the 4s is already a big improvement over what came before, so it's not going to look like a comparison between a terrible photo and a great one.

I also agree that the interface could stand a little help, although I like the idea of the dials and buttons in general. It's designed to appeal to people who knew their way around a film camera. It would be interesting to see what it would look like with no tip of the hat to "the good old days," however. Mostly, I think it suffers from the (Apple-imposed?) restriction of having to use a button on the screen to activate the shutter. It would be great to be able to use one of the hardware buttons.

-- hide signature --

Allan Crowson

WoodWorks Senior Member • Posts: 1,408

Allan Crowson wrote:

Mostly, I think it suffers from the (Apple-imposed?) restriction of having to use a button on the screen to activate the shutter. It would be great to be able to use one of the hardware buttons.

-- hide signature --

Allan Crowson

Go to the Settings app on your iPhone and scroll down to the 645 PRO app. One of the available settings there is "Hardware Shutter." Turn it to ON, and hey presto! The volume button shutter is activated.

My guess is that the developer doesn't mention this in his user guide because he managed to sneak the feature past the app police at Apple, and he doesn't want to bring any unwanted attention to it. But it's there, and it works.

Here's hoping now that Scott Forstall has been shown the door at Apple, these sorts of petty annoyances will be history.

David

-- hide signature --

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows --Epictetus

Allan Crowson Regular Member • Posts: 209

Thanks, WoodWorks! I should have looked there already, but had assumed that Apple still had it nixed.

Here's hoping that setting stays there.

-- hide signature --

Allan Crowson

Bruce McL Senior Member • Posts: 1,399

Allan Crowson wrote:

I also agree that the interface could stand a little help, although I like the idea of the dials and buttons in general. It's designed to appeal to people who knew their way around a film camera. It would be interesting to see what it would look like with no tip of the hat to "the good old days," ...

The interface puts me off a bit as well. Have you seen the "FieldCam" iPad app by the same developer? It has a serious throwback interface, along with two filters: you have your choice of wet or dry plate! As one of the reviewers said, "Almost felt like throwing a coat over my head and iPad for the full early photo time effect."

http://jag.gr/fieldcam/

Clearly this developer has a sense of humor, and is not quite aiming for a clean, useable, high tech interface.

RStyga
RStyga Regular Member • Posts: 298

This app produces the best image quality photos I've seen produced by a camera phone. Full stop. Highly recommended. It delivers what it claims: dRAW output (TIFF), lossless JPEG.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads