Anti-pixel peeping thread: Post your favorite "imperfect" photos

Started Oct 9, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
MarcusBrody Regular Member • Posts: 315
Anti-pixel peeping thread: Post your favorite "imperfect" photos

Give me your blurry, unsharp, noisy photos, yearning to be free!

We talk a lot about finding a camera that performs perfectly.  Sometimes looking back through my shots, I find that some of the ones that I like best aren't the sharpest, or the most noiseless, or the most perfectly focused.

This is the thread for them.

MarcusBrody's gear list:MarcusBrody's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
MarcusBrody OP Regular Member • Posts: 315
Re: Anti-pixel peeping thread: Post your favorite "imperfect" photos

Outside Kanha National Park, India.

MarcusBrody's gear list:MarcusBrody's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
malabito
malabito Senior Member • Posts: 1,986

-- hide signature --

Nikon 20mm 2.8, nikon 28mm 2.8 manual focus, Nikon 50mm 1.4, nikon 105mm 2.8 VR, nikon 70-200mm 2.8, sb-900, sb-800, SB-600, ...fuji x100, Leica M6
www.ailukewitsch.com
http://ailukewitsch.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malabito

malabito's gear list:malabito's gear list
Leica Q Fujifilm X70 Leica M Typ 240 Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica APO-Summicron-M 75mm f/2 ASPH +8 more
DRabbit
DRabbit Veteran Member • Posts: 4,721

Taken with the old inferior EP-1 with it's noisy sensor and no viewfinder + a manual focus lens (old Pen 40mm f/1.4).

The All American - EP1 + 40mm f/1.4 Pen

Amy

-- hide signature --

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
on Google+... on Twitter... on Facebook
My PAD Project and My Gallery

DRabbit's gear list:DRabbit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II +24 more
BrianY Regular Member • Posts: 246

Sometimes imperfect is - well.... perfect.

-- hide signature --

Though we may have precious little, it's still precious...
http://brilophoto.smugmug.com/photos/216133340-Th.jpg

BrianY's gear list:BrianY's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
Johann D
Johann D Contributing Member • Posts: 623

MarcusBrody wrote:

Give me your blurry, unsharp, noisy photos, yearning to be free!

We talk a lot about finding a camera that performs perfectly.  Sometimes looking back through my shots, I find that some of the ones that I like best aren't the sharpest, or the most noiseless, or the most perfectly focused.

This is the thread for them.

OH! BRAVO!

lambert4
lambert4 Senior Member • Posts: 1,951

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
zkz5
zkz5 Contributing Member • Posts: 665

Wild guess at focus:

Timur Born
Timur Born Veteran Member • Posts: 4,647

Timur Born's gear list:Timur Born's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
efg40
efg40 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,179

Took this with my old Pentax K-x (I think with the Tamron 28-75 at my sister's wedding, of my niece and her then boyfriend. Highlights are blown and her eyes are closed but I loved it and took creative license editing it....

And another of them, not taken by me but by a friend of hers, with a cheapo camera of some kind, when they eloped and married on 11-11-11 at 11:11 am.   I did edit it, but it's still perfectly imperfect.....

-- hide signature --

Elizabeth
efg40

efg40's gear list:efg40's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Jeanadriane Senior Member • Posts: 1,651
Imperfection is my trademark

Really, it is. I love blur, tilted angle, movement, dynamics, unclearness, even some noise, and I love to flash people full in the face from a short distance.

So here are three misfits that made me happy, the first from a while ago and the two others recent:

Jeanadriane's gear list:Jeanadriane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
napilopez
napilopez Regular Member • Posts: 322
Great idea!

C-Mount 35mm f1.7 Obviously mis-focused!

I meant to focus on the man, but focus on the child instead. Worked out well! Also, ISO was too high, and I further cranked it up in post.

Shot from my car window, smudges caused flairing, focus is off.

Focus is off, shutter speed too low

Timur Born wrote:

Timur, you're a happy daddy - and this one is priceless!!!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more

Niiiiiiiice!!!!!

Anthony Curcione Regular Member • Posts: 300

Anthony Curcione's gear list:Anthony Curcione's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
Timur Born
Timur Born Veteran Member • Posts: 4,647

Jeanadriane wrote:

Timur, you're a happy daddy - and this one is priceless!!!

Yes, I am a happy and sometimes exhausted daddy!

You could call that photo a family collaboration, my lady on iPhone camera, my boy running towards the camera into touch distance (like so often) and me post-processing in Lightroom to work out the flaws of the image even more and turn it into an extra artificial shot.

Of course I realize that these are all just family snapshots and that most other shots here are "imperfect" art. Nevertheless it's a show of that some expressions on small kids' faces often can only be catched with an imperfect snapshot, because usually they are rather unwilling targets.

Timur Born's gear list:Timur Born's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more

MarcusBrody wrote:

... We talk a lot about finding a camera that performs perfectly.  Sometimes looking back through my shots, I find that some of the ones that I like best aren't the sharpest, or the most noiseless, or the most perfectly focused...

Actually, I started taking an interest in movement blur from the moment I got really good glass, my Carl Zeiss MM T* lenses for Contax SLR in the mid 90's. Over the years it kinda came to dominate most of my photography, either because I took pics from racing trains, or because I got addicted to fill-in flash with slow shutter speed. And today I realized that - although I always think I want FF, etc. - I maybe want to stay with µ4/3 because I've become addited to its imperfections too. Funnny.

Re: Great idea!

Love that colourful first one, señor!

Timur Born wrote:

Of course I realize that these are all just family snapshots and that most other shots here are "imperfect" art. Nevertheless it's a show of that some expressions on small kids' faces often can only be catched with an imperfect snapshot, because usually they are rather unwilling targets.

I wouldn't call that Big Blue Eyes a "family-snapshot-as-opposed-to-other-pics-here"! It really is very well done!

Atwater Forum Member • Posts: 83
fairytale moment at the farmer's market

little red or snow white?

This was a walk-by, grab shot, and the camera absolutely nailed the focus on the pavement just beyond the little one.  I fell in love at first sight after I got home and looked at the picture, but the subject was badly blurred-- and the moment was unrecoverable too.  I don't know whether the OOT processing provides a happy ending or not.  C&C very welcome :^)

Atwater's gear list:Atwater's gear list
Lytro Light Field 8GB Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads