Spidey

Signature Spider with Four Signatures

Don t know the ID of this Spidey

The Giant Wood Spider

The Caterpillar

The Wasp.......

and the Damsel

Hello,

Posting some macro shots taken with the 50-200mm lens with my beloved E-620.All are JPEGs straight out of the camera taken hand held-some have been resized for the reduction of size.These are almost my first shots with this superb lens so please feel free to comment or criticize my work.Hoping you like them.

Thanking you in anticipation.

-- hide signature --

Makarand Saraf.

makarandsaraf's gear list:makarandsaraf's gear list
Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +2 more
Olympus E-620 (EVOLT E-620)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Airmel
Airmel Senior Member • Posts: 1,285
Re: Macro Work with the 50-200mm Lens:Cs & Cs Please

Great shots!.Congrats on a real winner.

I love using my 50-200mm for "stand off" macro work. It's a fabulous lens.

-- hide signature --

AirMel

Airmel's gear list:Airmel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +17 more
vadimraskin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,596

Nice shots but a bit soft, which is totally understandable being handheld. I, too, love this lens but for macros the camera needs to be either on the tripod or stabilized some other way to get sharper images. But this is a lot of fun taking pictures from afar and seeing results come to life.

Good try and keep posting.

vadimraskin's gear list:vadimraskin's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +3 more
19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 28,894

Nice series.

sunisri
sunisri Senior Member • Posts: 1,444

Very nice macro work Makarand. I like all of them did you use EX-25 or just ZD 50-200mm lense. Its a pretty nice lense I own it use it most of the times for tele + macro work.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

-- hide signature --

Sri

sunisri's gear list:sunisri's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +7 more
JiminDenver Veteran Member • Posts: 5,190
I think you did great

For being hand held and not post processed, they look fine. I hope you join us in the Weekly Close Up.

My macro is either handheld or with a monopod. The 50-200 and EX 25 is my long range set up but it's with a mono pod. It's just easier to get the best focus that way. (and to hold it)

-- hide signature --

JimB
Bug Whisperer
Join us in The Weekly Close up every weekend

JiminDenver's gear list:JiminDenver's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-5 Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +14 more
OlyChamp
OlyChamp Veteran Member • Posts: 4,451
You make Macro look easy.

Super shots.  Can I ask a question though?  How many shots did you take in this set to get these results?

Thane

-- hide signature --

The digital image is a dozen or so words
positioned carefully to paint a picture
that challenges the eye
and tricks the mind
into thinking, light is a title
and the palette a taste bud
worth tasting.

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,180

That is indeed an exquisite lens (I purchased mine last month).  I've yet to use it for macro type shots, but it should do fairly nicely.  Yours overall do look pretty good, and thanks for sharing.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus PEN E-P5 +1 more
Denjw
Denjw Veteran Member • Posts: 5,879

Very nice series and good use of this lens. Maybe try taking some with a tripod/monopod as close up shots should be as sharp as possible. Also I would give them a bit of contrast and sharpen them in PP.

Cheers

Dennis

-- hide signature --
 Denjw's gear list:Denjw's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 6,934

The spider shots are really nice Makarand.
The others are good compositions and well framed, however the soft light renders them a little too flat-toned particularly the  Lizard and the 2nd damsel, and  being green on green loses even more clarity.

I agree with Dennis, with a little PP to increase contrast and clarity the images will really stand out.

I have noted that you seem to favour out-of-camera jpg, however I have found that with macro work the closer I get to a subject the more important the PP becomes to deal with lighting constraints

regards

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 +12 more
OP makarandsaraf Senior Member • Posts: 1,229
Thank you ....

for taking out the time to watch my work and commenting on it.

-- hide signature --

Makarand Saraf.

Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +2 more
Thanks a lot for the tips......

Thanks for watching and commenting on my work.I do have a tripod and find it a bit difficult to carry around-I am not a very big person ,neither very muscular- so have actually never used any tripod for my work-but yes I do understand its necessity for getting sharpness in my work.For macro shots we need to be sometimes level with the ground or  the subject is at awkward angles so have never really used a tripod for macros-but yes I have seen people using a monopod for their macro work and plan to acquire one soon.The butterfly was shot almost lying down on the ground- so in that case even a monopod i believe would have not helped much.

Thanks for watching.

-- hide signature --

Makarand Saraf.

Only the lens .........

was used as having spent almost 490 USD on the lens I am on a tight budget and looking forward to sell my 70-300mm lens to finance the EX-25 and the EC-14.Thanks for the watching and commenting on my work.

-- hide signature --

Makarand Saraf.

Thanks Jim........

I do post sometimes in the Close up thread but not as regularly as I do in the bird forum,yes I have posted these shots as well this week.Thanks for your kind comments.

-- hide signature --

Makarand Saraf.

You make Macro look easy:Thank you

I took only two shots of the butterfly and the fly before they were off and two shots of the caterpillar as well, the lizard allowed 4 shots,the giant wood spider and the other large spider I took two shots.The signature spider needed some 6-7 shots as did the other small spider.Of the wasp I took around 10-12 shots but I am still not very happy with that result,the Damsel I took 4 shots.

Thanks for watching and the kind words.

-- hide signature --

Makarand Saraf.

Thanks Roger........

the lens I am simply loving it and I am yet to come to terms with its capabilities.So it may need a lot of practice before I can get the best out of this lens.Thanks for watching.

-- hide signature --

Makarand Saraf.

Thanks a lot Dennis............

yes I am thinking of getting a monopod now as per your and other members' suggestion.Not sure about the PP though as neither do I have the time for it(This is just a hobby and my wife will kill me for being constantly on the PC),nor do I have the inclination to learn it just now.Maybe down the line sometime I will surely do it.

Thanks again.

-- hide signature --

Makarand Saraf.

Thanks a lot Peter...........

.. yes I will definitely learn to do PP but maybe sometime later.The monopod and the EX-25 are on my priority list.Hope to get them soon.......... and thanks for being so supportive.

-- hide signature --

Makarand Saraf.

CollBaxter
CollBaxter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,724

Very nice and the spiders are superm. I do agree with others on the contrast on some of the other shoots. Well done.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-5 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-500 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads