Autumn in the Alps

Started Oct 7, 2012 | Discussions
Pixnat2
Pixnat2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,816
Autumn in the Alps

This was the first sunny day from a long time, nice time to go out.

EM-5 + ZD 7-14mm

EM-5 + 12-50mm

EM-5 + ZD 12-60mm

EM-5 + 12-50mm

C&C welcomed.

-- hide signature --
 Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +15 more
Oli4D Regular Member • Posts: 459
Re: Autumn in the Alps

Lovley pictures!

Especially the first one!

Where have you shot them?

Oli4D's gear list:Oli4D's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
eques Senior Member • Posts: 2,689

Oli4D wrote:

Lovley pictures!

Yes, where?

Great use of the WA lens!

Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Pixnat2
OP Pixnat2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,816
Thanks Oli4D and eques : Montorge and Val d'Arpette in Valais, Switzerland

eques wrote:

Oli4D wrote:

Lovley pictures!

Yes, where?

Great use of the WA lens!

Peter.

Thank you!

Those pics were taken in Valais, Switzerland

The lake is in Montorge near the town of Sion and the other in Val d'Arpette, near the ski station of Champex.

-- hide signature --
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +15 more
Oli4D Regular Member • Posts: 459
Re: Thanks Oli4D and eques : Montorge and Val d'Arpette in Valais, Switzerland

Switzerland was clear. I live here too

Nice spot, got to visit it once

Oli4D's gear list:Oli4D's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
Pixnat2
Re: Thanks Oli4D and eques : Montorge and Val d'Arpette in Valais, Switzerland

Oli4D wrote:

Switzerland was clear. I live here too

Ah yes, I've missed it, cool!

Nice spot, got to visit it once

You should go there, a great place to hike if the weather is good. The nearby sation of Champex is a very nice place to visit too. It has the charm and the soul of an old-fashioned alpine ski station, by contrast of Verbier or Montana which have lost their souls, IMHO. And at the restarant near the lake you can eat delicious bluberry cakes, be sure to try it miss it if you go there

-- hide signature --
BrightEyesOnFire Junior Member • Posts: 38

Tremendous images. You have a great understanding of depth and how to make the images look three-dimensional. Fantastic colors. My favorites are the first one and the 12mm one with the rocks in the foreground. My one critique is that the 39mm one right below it looks overexposed, especially in the mountains. Overall great work.

gskolenda
gskolenda Senior Member • Posts: 1,068

Nice images but I hope they are Raw, they need the exposure adjusted by up to 2 stops I think, many of the sky details are blown out, as well as some of the distant mountain ranges.

Also maybe a slight increase in Saturation, considering that these are fall shots. (that could be a personal taste thing.) But the exposures really need adjusting. I have very good dual 22" monitors that are color corrected and exposure balanced.

If your not sure process them as I have suggested, post along with the originals and get OP here from viewers.

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
Pixnat2

BrightEyesOnFire wrote:

Tremendous images. You have a great understanding of depth and how to make the images look three-dimensional. Fantastic colors. My favorites are the first one and the 12mm one with the rocks in the foreground. My one critique is that the 39mm one right below it looks overexposed, especially in the mountains. Overall great work.

Thanks for your nice comment.

You're right about the 39mm one, I've probably used the local adjustment brush a bit too much. Spent quite a long time working on this one, probably too much :-). On the original, the montains look darker and less contrasty. I will re-work it, thanks for the critique, much appreciated!

-- hide signature --
jaylive Regular Member • Posts: 291

these are brilliant! thank you..

jaylive's gear list:jaylive's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
Pixnat2
Thanks, one question?

gskolenda wrote:

Nice images but I hope they are Raw, they need the exposure adjusted by up to 2 stops I think, many of the sky details are blown out, as well as some of the distant mountain ranges.

Also maybe a slight increase in Saturation, considering that these are fall shots. (that could be a personal taste thing.) But the exposures really need adjusting. I have very good dual 22" monitors that are color corrected and exposure balanced.

If your not sure process them as I have suggested, post along with the originals and get OP here from viewers.

Hi gskolenda,

Thanks for your observations!

One question, as I'm not sure about what you mean about 2 stops exposure adjustments.

Here are the original RAW loaded in LR 4.2

And here is the processed pictures

As you see, the histogram doesn't show any blown out highlights. I took care about it when I post-processed the pictures. I work on an iMac, but I didn't correct the monitor yet.

So except the last picture which has an unrecoverable blown-out sky, the others don't seem blown out, judging by the LR4 histogram and my computer screen.

One more indication : some shots like this one were made toward the sun (the sun was just left of the picture), so the light conditions were not ideal.

When I post processed, I tried local adjustments (exposure - 0.5 to 1 EV) to darken the sky, but it looked not natural anymore.

So here's my question : how can I ameliorate the post processing?

Sorry to ask a lot, but I'm keen to learn, thanks!

-- hide signature --
Pixnat2
Thank you! (n/t)
-- hide signature --
gollywop
gollywop Veteran Member • Posts: 8,241

Pixnat2, what a wonderful shooting opportunity.  I'm sure others are as envious as am I.

I particularly like the second to the last, and, since you ask C&C, I felt it was too warm and hard. Since it's difficult to describe what I'd do differently, I took the liberty of reworking it to show.  I made changes to WB, highlights, vibrance, shadows, contrast, and a slight crop to bring the cottages more to the fore.

Here is a reply of your original

And here is my redo; I wish I were there.

I don't know if you were using AutoWB when you took the shot, but it has a tendency to produce a hyellowie cast in such circumstances.

Pixnat2

gollywop wrote:

Pixnat2, what a wonderful shooting opportunity.  I'm sure others are as envious as am I.

Sure it was :-). The only sunny day from a long time, i wouldn't had missed it!

I particularly like the second to the last, and, since you ask C&C, I felt it was too warm and hard. Since it's difficult to describe what I'd do differently, I took the liberty of reworking it to show.  I made changes to WB, highlights, vibrance, shadows, contrast, and a slight crop to bring the cottages more to the fore.

Here is a reply of your original

And here is my redo; I wish I were there.

I don't know if you were using AutoWB when you took the shot, but it has a tendency to produce a hyellowie cast in such circumstances.

Nice proposal. I use LR4.2 + Huelight EM-5 profile, and leaved the WB as is. In your picture, I like the crop (nice idea!) and the slightly recovered details in the sky. The WB is a bit too cold for my taste, (or maybe I should profile my monitor once ;-)). I don't mind the slighlty warm color, which is siutable for Autumn, IMHO. Of course, to each his taste.

But thanks for the time you took for commenting and for your excellent suggestions!

-- hide signature --
mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094

Oops I didn't realize that was the 4/3s Olympus version of the lens. I am not sure if that lens operates like the Panasonic lens does.

Excellent images. Great processing done on those as well. However, there is one important thing to remember. The 7-14mm F4.0 lens is best wide open at all but 14mm. You really shouldn't stop that lens down unless you find that depth of field is too shallow and that is nearly impossible to achieve.

Here are the dpreview test results.

7-14mm F4.0 test results

Again great shots.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
spacenegroes Regular Member • Posts: 135

the main thing i would do differently is not push up the clarity slider so much. everything has a harsh dramatic look to it, very different from the feeling i imagine you'd want. the clarity slider looks kind of cool for a while, but it gets stale and cheap looking the more i use it personally, so i've laid off it recently.

19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,171

Very nice series.  Like 1, 2, and 4 best.

Pixnat2

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Oops I didn't realize that was the 4/3s Olympus version of the lens. I am not sure if that lens operates like the Panasonic lens does.

Excellent images. Great processing done on those as well. However, there is one important thing to remember. The 7-14mm F4.0 lens is best wide open at all but 14mm. You really shouldn't stop that lens down unless you find that depth of field is too shallow and that is nearly impossible to achieve.

Here are the dpreview test results.

7-14mm F4.0 test results

Again great shots.

Thank you very much!

I don't know about how the Panasonic operates, but the Olympus is sharpest wide open in the center, but I usually have to stop down to F/5.6 -6.3 to get the sharpest edge possible in landscapes.

But, well, this little Panasonic is sooo tempting... It would be the first lens I would buy if I abandon completely the 4/3 system...

-- hide signature --
Pixnat2

spacenegroes wrote:

the main thing i would do differently is not push up the clarity slider so much. everything has a harsh dramatic look to it, very different from the feeling i imagine you'd want. the clarity slider looks kind of cool for a while, but it gets stale and cheap looking the more i use it personally, so i've laid off it recently.

Thanks for your suggestion. I never use the clarity slider. All I usually use are shadows, highlights, contrast, black, white sliders. Sometimes I lower the saturation too. Here's a typical PP :

The "clarity" comes from the great light that we have in the Alps, and maybe from a bit too much sharpening the resized pictures

But thanks for your constructive comment.

-- hide signature --
mazzuccato
mazzuccato Senior Member • Posts: 2,472

Beautiful shots!

-- hide signature --

Stefano

mazzuccato's gear list:mazzuccato's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads