Fungus on Lens - Help me

Started Oct 7, 2012 | Discussions
craige4u New Member • Posts: 8
Fungus on Lens - Help me

I think, i have got fungus on the inside of my lens of Nikon D80.

Please can you guys, have a look at the pic and confirm it.

http://i47.tinypic.com/24pwfo6.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/1tsnzl.jpg

I have also called a camera shop who undertakes this kind of cleaning jobs and he said it will take atleast 7 days and price can vary.

Does it actually takes this long ? is it really expensive ?

I heard keeping the lens in sunlight can help - shall i ?

Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
NikonHaoleboy
NikonHaoleboy Contributing Member • Posts: 973
Re: Fungus on Lens - Help me

It looks like fungus and appears to be very pervasive. Was the lens ever submerged in water or subjected to extreme humidity or spray? Judging by the front element condition, I would expect the interior elements to be similarly effected. I would replace the lens. UVC light can kill fungus but since the glass elements in the lens block UV light, it will have no effect.

NikonHaoleboy's gear list:NikonHaoleboy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +26 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624

Hi,

I am no expert by far, but seeing as you only have one other reply, here is my 2 cents:

- yes, that looks like fungus.

- it may not affect image seriously, mainly contrast, depends on how the other inside and back elements look

- gt the repair guy to give you a quote, which lens is it, the quote may be more than a replacement lens from Adorama or B&H or Cameta Camera (or Ebay). However, if an expensive lens, may be worth it. Or, the quote may not be much, I wont know,t he repair guy will.

- A lens does not ened to be immersed to have fungus. A humid environment and time will do this.

- In future, try to acquire a few packets of silica gel (electronic stores should have a few to give away.Keep them in the camera bag when not in use.

- Siilca gel is a drying agent and will keep you lenses clear, but you will have to refresh it by putting in oven (not microwave) every few months (assuming packaging can take the heat (not plastic obviously).

- Silica gel is also poisonous by the way, only if you ingest, not to handle (I say this just in case you have little ones around).

Hope that helps in some way. No liability accepted for wrong information...  

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.”

ron_9
ron_9 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,705

something that hasn't been said and that is fungus can also etch the glass, making it almost impossible to rid the lens completely of the "fog"---get a quote but I would toss it if any large percentage at all of new or good used.  By the way just keeping your lenses in your bag can lead to this, in fact5, almost assured of that if for long periods of time---ron s.--
Keeping it sane in an insane world is an inconvenience at an inconvenient time!!
www.pbase.com/ron9ron

aus4ever
aus4ever Forum Pro • Posts: 10,427

Fungus or not, I would try to clean both front and rear elements with some good lens cleaning products first, then check the inside by pointing it towards a light source and looking through from the rear element.  If it is a G lens, there is a lever on the lens mount that you can move to open up the aperture blades.  If there is indeed fungus or dust inside the lens, you might want to have it serviced.  Whether it is worth the money, you have to decide.

Electronic dry-boxes are now very affordable.  It is therefore highly recommended to have one.  Once you have the right humidity set, you don't need to worry any more.  It can also be used to keep dry other personal items, not just photographic equipment.

-- hide signature --

Australia, home forever.

aus4ever's gear list:aus4ever's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 13,250
Re: If in doubt - ask Nikon

This is the standard guidance on Nikon web sites

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16404/kw/fungus

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +20 more
wasserball Veteran Member • Posts: 3,984

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

This is the standard guidance on Nikon web sites

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16404/kw/fungus

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

I am taking precaution...

How can I prevent fungus from growing on my lens?
The possibility of fungus growth can be minimized by storing the equipment in well-lit and well-ventilated environments with moderate temperatures and low humidity. We recommend removing equipment from carrying cases during storage and not storing cameras or lenses with clothing.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Ian Regular Member • Posts: 487

Once you have Fungus in a lens, it can not be cleaned out, it is normally in the Bolsam between the elements.

In truth its a replace elements job, but a new lens it will possibly be cheaper in the long term

It sounds as though the lenses may have been stored somewhere damp..

michael1234 Regular Member • Posts: 193

My suggestion is next time use this http://www.walmart.com/ip/FG01K-DampRid-Refillable-Moisture-Absorber-10.5-oz./15033112 I buy them at walmart and they are cheap and lasts up to three months. You can also buy selica gels but are harder to find. I put two damp rids in the closet.

ponger Junior Member • Posts: 27

Additional products include Drierite and stuff used to dry flowers sold at the local craft store like Joann's or Michaels Drying Crystals .

ZoneV Regular Member • Posts: 209

Ian wrote:

Once you have Fungus in a lens, it can not be cleaned out, it is normally in the Bolsam between the elements.

In truth its a replace elements job, but a new lens it will possibly be cheaper in the long term

It sounds as though the lenses may have been stored somewhere damp..

I have cleaned ~20 lenses with fungus. Sometimes the glass is etched permanently. And on one lens I tried to clean, the fungus was inside a lens group - in the glue. Canada balsam is not used in modern lenses. But even on my old lenses with most likely Canada Balsam I did not find fungus inside there.

-- hide signature --

Camera DIY repair and modification linklist: http://4photos.de/camera-diy/index-en.html

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 13,250

I am taking precaution...

The USA where you live is a big place.

Leaving camera gear in a canvas camera bag in a "freeze thaw" climate, living near the sea or a big lake, or places where you get high humidity increase the risk of fungus starting to grow.

I cannot say how or why fungus started to develop in yours lens, but as it has for the future I would look at ways of reducing the risk.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +20 more
Leif Goodwin Senior Member • Posts: 1,390

craige4u wrote:

I think, i have got fungus on the inside of my lens of Nikon D80.

Please can you guys, have a look at the pic and confirm it.

http://i47.tinypic.com/24pwfo6.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/1tsnzl.jpg

I have also called a camera shop who undertakes this kind of cleaning jobs and he said it will take atleast 7 days and price can vary.

Does it actually takes this long ? is it really expensive ?

I heard keeping the lens in sunlight can help - shall i ?

High humidity will lead to fungus. If for example you regularly shower, and the bathroom becomes foggy inside, when you open the door, that damp air will spread out, and the damp will settle on cold surfaces, including cold lenses at the bottom of cupboards. Drying clothes indoors is just as bad. The safest way to store lenses is in a sealed box, with large pouches of silica gel, which you heat to drive off moisture when needed. Some people say that once a lens has fungus, it should not be stored with other lenses. I do not know if that is true, but if a lens gets fungus, the humid atmosphere is the issue.

The cost to treat a lens varies. It might need a new lens element, or it might just need cleaning. Nikon will charge more than a local independent camera technician.

Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads