Bummed, but returning D600

Started Oct 7, 2012 | Discussions
jabilson007
jabilson007 Regular Member • Posts: 293
Bummed, but returning D600

All was going good, happy with low light, fps, AF, resolution etc. On a lark, I decided to test for sensor dust. Well, what a mess. Spots all over the place! But these did not look like dust spots. So I cleaned the lens and ran the auto sensor clean. Still there. Did it all again. No change. Tried a different lens. Still there.

At this point I know it is serious, but I really like this camera. So, I go to the local camera store and buy a sensor cleaning kit. I do a cleaning. Still there. Three tries later and no improvement. (I'll post a photo later for reference)

So now I am in the process of returning the D600 and the 24-85 vr and looking to find a D600 without this flaw. I have never seen anything this bad and could not be cleaned. You may me asking why the 24-85? Here's the rub while in the camera store I tested the D600 with a 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 vr ii. Gotta have them!

Don't expect any gifts from me this year, I won't have any money!

On a side note how is the TC-20eiii on the 70-200 for kids sports and wildlife?

-- hide signature --

"If you can't say something nice...go **** yourself"
-unknown

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,697
Re: Bummed, but returning D600

It might be oil on the sensor - quite common on new bodies and easily cleaned by a store (or by yourself with the right gear).

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4
bocajrs
bocajrs Senior Member • Posts: 2,411

not a deal breaker..that's fore sure..

bocajrs's gear list:bocajrs's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Samsung Galaxy Note9 +2 more
jabilson007
OP jabilson007 Regular Member • Posts: 293

inasir1971 wrote:

It might be oil on the sensor - quite common on new bodies and easily cleaned by a store (or by yourself with the right gear).

I bought the cleaning kit the store recommended and followed their advice and the product instructions. It did not help. I am within the return time frame, so it is going back. I will get another though because I seriously like the camera. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

-unknown

jabilson007

bocajrs wrote:

Deal breaker for me on this one. I will try another. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

-unknown

jabilson007

Here is a sample of what I am seeing on the sensor. I may be overreacting, but I could not get it cleaned in 4 attempts and the store wants $50 to do it. There are more than 15 spots. For this kind of money it should be cleaner.

-- hide signature --

-unknown

caspianm Senior Member • Posts: 2,475

jabilson007 wrote:

Here is a sample of what I am seeing on the sensor. I may be overreacting, but I could not get it cleaned in 4 attempts and the store wants $50 to do it. There are more than 15 spots. For this kind of money it should be cleaner.

Those look like dust and I suggest rather than returning it learn how to clean it.

This kinda issue will happen again.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Nikon D800E Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix B700 Sony a7 +19 more
RDMSguy Forum Member • Posts: 86

jabilson007 wrote:

inasir1971 wrote:

I bought the cleaning kit the store recommended and followed their advice and the product instructions. It did not help. I am within the return time frame, so it is going back. I will get another though because I seriously like the camera. Thanks.

What brand and type of cleaning kit did they sell you?

Your sensor needs a simple wet cleaning.

A few things to keep in mind.. If your going to continue with Nikon.. Chances are your going to get the same issue with any new body you buy. The first couple thousand clicks tend to be the worst for both oil and dust, but after that it's not a big deal.

I was scared the first time I did a wet cleaning for my D800. I didn't just have dust, but I had spots that looked to fall more in line excess oil deposits as well. I used an eclipse kit I purchased from amazon for 20 bucks. I watched some highly rated youtube videos showing how to use the sensor swabs, then did it myself. It ended up being fairly easy.

I'd get used to the concept of cleaning your sensor.. Sooner or later you will have to do it, or pay someone else to do it. Might as well start doing it now.

RDMSguy's gear list:RDMSguy's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 50R
vagtanklan Senior Member • Posts: 1,466

Dust is best sorted as a DYI.

I have cleaned my D800 once (and my other dSLR hundreds of times), and before I got it I did my homework.

2 packets of Visible Dust 1.0x VSwabs (the best there is)

http://visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=451

1 bottle of Dust Aid cleaning fluid. (the fluid in this kit)

http://www.dust-aid.com/08dustwandkit.html

Visible dust fluid takes too long to dry IMO - that's why I prefer the Dust Aid one.

1. Put your camera in cleaning mode (mirror up for cleaning)

2. Seat camera on a desk or table with the lens on facing down (on the hood)

3. Apply two or three drops on the wand

4. Release the lens, and twist it so camera stays aligned relative to you

5. Gently lift off the camera and hold it at a 90 degrees angle so you can peer into the sensor

6. Wipe twice, once from each direction

7. Gently seat the camera on to the lens mount ant twist it back on.

8. Check, and if needed, rinse - repeat

P.S. I have no problems reusing the swabs, but use discretion as it might lead to a damaged sensor-filter if there's any residue hard enough to scratch it left on the swab.

P. P. S. I always switch lenses with the camera facing down, and never remove the lens unless I really need too. Makes my sensor much less prone to gathering dust.

vagtanklan's gear list:vagtanklan's gear list
Nikon D40 Sony a7R II Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +7 more
spbStan
spbStan Senior Member • Posts: 1,959

Why not just have the store do a wet cleaning? I am sure they would prefer to do that for you than take the loss on the camera that can only be resold as used since there is no defect so Nikon will not take it back for full credit.

Dust happens so learn to do normal maintenance and preventative maintenance.  It is no big deal.

-- hide signature --

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

leighton w
leighton w Senior Member • Posts: 2,061

Wonder why there's a problem with some, and not all? I have one little dust bunny on mine with 300 shots on it. And I change lenses all the time.

u007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,681

Gotta love America where you an return a dslr for having dust on the sensor. LOL

No wonder so many of you guys get suckered with used cameras and all the paranoid threads about whether the camera you got has been used before.

It's a dSLR - it's always going to get dust and oil on the sensor. Just learn to clean it - get eclipse cleaning fluid and sensor swabs (type 3) from amazon, then clean it. Are you going to return every single camera when it gets dusty?

-- hide signature --

My travel photography blog - http://www.frescoglobe.com

Toccata47 Senior Member • Posts: 2,800
Not wrong to expect a product that is ready to use

bocajrs wrote:

I disagree. Oil on the sensor renders a camera unusable out of the gate and it can't always be remedied by the end user, particularly if they don't recognize what is causing the issue. If a $2,100 camera needs to be serviced prior to use isn't a deal breaker, where should one draw the line?

eNo
eNo Forum Pro • Posts: 11,744
About that flaw

It is possible your camera came with extra oil and it is splattering. This should diminish over time, or you could have Nikon service address it. Or just do wet cleanings until it diminishes to acceptable, non-existent levels. Returning a DSLR because it has dust or oil spots and expecting you will get one without the "flaw" is not going to lead anywhere. Sooner or later, you will have to clean your sensor the old fashion way. It's part of having a digital SLR.

maljo@inreach.com Veteran Member • Posts: 7,679
Learning curve...

...to cleaning sensors.  It isn't easy but it can be done.  All cameras get dust on the sensor.  This isn't a flaw in your camera.  The smaller the aperture you shoot at the more noticeable the dust spots are.

maljo

maljo@inreach.com's gear list:maljo@inreach.com's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D500 Nikon D850
papparazzi Senior Member • Posts: 1,996

jabilson007 wrote:

You must be joking...all this fuss for that? LOL

Welcome to FF.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/jdfeos

papparazzi's gear list:papparazzi's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600 +10 more
zzzzzzzzzzz Senior Member • Posts: 2,636

This is not a reason to return a perfectly good camera.  Most new D-SLRs may end up doing this.  My D7000 did it and my D800 did it.  My D90 and D50 did not.  Just clean it and move on.

zzzzzzzzzzz's gear list:zzzzzzzzzzz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D800 Nikon D5500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +24 more
Denis of Whidbey Island
Denis of Whidbey Island Senior Member • Posts: 1,244

Yup. Irritating fact of life.

My D800 arrived in need of sensor cleaning (a little dust, some oil spots), which I've done on previous cameras but still don't enjoy it. This is my fifth DSLR and all have needed sensor cleaning ... from occasional to frequent.

My procedure, escalating as required:

1. Hold camera lens mount down and blow out with a rocket
  2. Use a sensor brush (see if a static charge will lift the dust)
  3. Wet clean (typically takes several times)
  4. Go after problem spots with a LensPen SensorKlear

YMMV, but this has worked for me. and if you want to be sure your sensor is uber clean, do a small aperture HDR of the sky and every minute booger will show.

Denis

-- hide signature --

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list:Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II YI M1 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +3 more
Nippondenso Regular Member • Posts: 367
You got that right!

u007 wrote:

Gotta love America where you an return a dslr for having dust on the sensor. LOL

No wonder so many of you guys get suckered with used cameras and all the paranoid threads about whether the camera you got has been used before.

It's a dSLR - it's always going to get dust and oil on the sensor. Just learn to clean it - get eclipse cleaning fluid and sensor swabs (type 3) from amazon, then clean it. Are you going to return every single camera when it gets dusty?

This is just another example of why America has to pay more for our products, to pacify the clueless when they think they have an earth-shattering problem.  No wonder we have cornered the market on stupidity, we have the highest rate of clueless individuals per capita than any other county in the world.

Nippondenso Regular Member • Posts: 367
Thank you for proving most complaints on this forum are baseless!

jabilson007 wrote:

So now I am in the process of returning the D600 and the 24-85 vr and looking to find a D600 without this flaw. I have never seen anything this bad and could not be cleaned. You may me asking why the 24-85? Here's the rub while in the camera store I tested the D600 with a 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 vr ii. Gotta have them!

What a waste of time and resources.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads