Thom Hogan's complete guide to the D800/E

Started Oct 7, 2012 | Discussions
Astrophotographer 10 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,871
Thom Hogan's complete guide to the D800/E

I bought this book and I just wanted to say how good it is. It is super comprehensive and I am conquering aspects of the camera I did not fully understand how to use.

Its great when he evaluates the various functions but then gives a professional recommendation on which one is best.

For the first time I got the AF working properly on video! I have taken a few videos and the autofocus was a real issue and a lot of my videos were out of focus as a result!

Great value and unless you are very well seasoned with Nikon cameras its a great accessory and leaves the supplied manual for dead.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
UncleLJ Contributing Member • Posts: 893
Re: Thom Hogan's complete guide to the D800/E

I have purchased this ebook as well, have read a bit, very hard for me, but well worth it.

-- hide signature --
 UncleLJ's gear list:UncleLJ's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Octane Senior Member • Posts: 2,993

Thanks for letting us know. I'll look into it.

-- hide signature --

-------David-------

GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 12,749
Unfortunately

Unfortunately only available as a download.  There is no bound and printed version.  If there was I would buy it.  I just cannot stand reading books/magazines on a computer screen.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +46 more
mrpevets Regular Member • Posts: 167
Re: Unfortunately

GodSpeaks wrote:

Unfortunately only available as a download.  There is no bound and printed version.  If there was I would buy it.  I just cannot stand reading books/magazines on a computer screen.

So, I purchased the download & went today to my local print shop to have it printed & bound.

It cost me $43.00 but I am starting to read through it. I am looking for a few tips on how to use the camera better & I am sure to find them as I have purchased other Thom manual before.

He has never let me down!

eternal camper

MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 13,830

Agree - Thoms' e-book are very useful.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +5 more
Anthony123 Regular Member • Posts: 101

GodSpeaks wrote:

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

There has now been a book released, Amazon carry it here in UK but I think the US has had it on offer before us.

Anthony123's gear list:Anthony123's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +4 more
GeneZh Junior Member • Posts: 33
Bought the book after reading this post, to find AF in video, but disappointed.

Why didn't he post the book's table of contents?

Talarspeed Regular Member • Posts: 111

I too bought Hogan's ebook.  It is very good and very technical.  Aspects of it I skip for later reading because of the detail he goes into.

I also just bought David Busch's guide to the D800 from Amazon.  I'm liking this book more than Hogan's.  There is a chapter dedicated to customizing the shooting banks. These are only recommendations, but they seem very logical as a starting point. The customized scenarios include Landscape, Portrait, Indoor sports, Outdoor sports, Concert, Night photography amongst others.

And this book is thick!

Talarspeed's gear list:Talarspeed's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +1 more
u007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,681

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

I bought this book and I just wanted to say how good it is. It is super comprehensive and I am conquering aspects of the camera I did not fully understand how to use.

Its great when he evaluates the various functions but then gives a professional recommendation on which one is best.

For the first time I got the AF working properly on video! I have taken a few videos and the autofocus was a real issue and a lot of my videos were out of focus as a result!

Great value and unless you are very well seasoned with Nikon cameras its a great accessory and leaves the supplied manual for dead.

Greg.

Specifically, what have you learned about the camera that you didn't already know and couldn't have learned from the internet or the instruction manual?

I just don't get the point in paying for a book about a camera when you have a chunky instruction manual, the internet AND help functions built into the camera itself (the ? button which you can press on almost any menu option)

-- hide signature --

My travel photography blog - http://www.frescoglobe.com

RicAllan Contributing Member • Posts: 795

u007 wrote:

Greg.

Specifically, what have you learned about the camera that you didn't already know and couldn't have learned from the internet or the instruction manual?

I just don't get the point in paying for a book about a camera when you have a chunky instruction manual, the internet AND help functions built into the camera itself (the ? button which you can press on almost any menu option)

-- hide signature --

The power of the book is that it supplies background and context for each aspect then the particulars...

-- hide signature --

Ric

RicAllan's gear list:RicAllan's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +2 more
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery Veteran Member • Posts: 3,735

Talarspeed wrote:

I too bought Hogan's ebook.  It is very good and very technical.  Aspects of it I skip for later reading because of the detail he goes into.

Not me, since the "?" button, all my manuals have the plastic cover ... why to buy more?

I also just bought David Busch's guide to the D800 from Amazon.  I'm liking this book more than Hogan's.  There is a chapter dedicated to customizing the shooting banks. These are only recommendations, but they seem very logical as a starting point. The customized scenarios include Landscape, Portrait, Indoor sports, Outdoor sports, Concert, Night photography amongst others.

And this book is thick!

There's nothing like a NCSETUP8.bin file for customized it, but you have to like what they like. by example ... & do not forget to save yours before.

-- hide signature --

Un saludo.

GeneZh Junior Member • Posts: 33

u007 wrote:

Greg.

-- hide signature --

Agree.  I bought it because OP mentioned AF in video.  I thought he had some trick.  But I'm totally disapointed.  The pdf has 851 pages, but noting new.  And, is the concise well-organized and well-indexed printed manual prepared by the reputable manufacturer more readable or this thick pdf?   I must say he's a very good business man.  He didn't post his table of contents, otherwise I guess a lot of people won't buy it.

GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 12,749

Anthony123 wrote:

GodSpeaks wrote:

-- hide signature --

- Rayna Butler

There has now been a book released, Amazon carry it here in UK but I think the US has had it on offer before us.

Really?  I will have to check that out.  If it is available in bound print I would buy it in a heatbeat.

I check Thom's site daily as I think he has a lot of very useful information/insights into Nikon.

-- hide signature --

- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +46 more
OP Astrophotographer 10 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,871

I found it useful for setting up ideal AF for different scenarios.

I found it useful for the best settings for AF in video.

I agree its probably all in the manual but its quite abbreviated in the manual without any description about how something works so you can understand more easily.

I also found it valuable for maximising quality in images and best settings.

Its a AUD$3700 camera, the manual is so so, $29 or whatever it cost is chicken feed compared to the cost.

YMMV.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
herbymel Veteran Member • Posts: 6,083

u007 wrote:

Greg.

-- hide signature --

For the price it's always good to have more information...the manual is fine and should be gone through, but it is a bit cut and dried and with the internet you always get a variety of information that can be great, but is generally conflicting depending on who you listen to.

-- hide signature --

Herby

herbymel's gear list:herbymel's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF II +6 more
PaulBearer Senior Member • Posts: 1,719
Much Easier to Read, and Easier to Find Info....

This is my third Hogan manual, and although the factory manuals have gone from unintelligible to readable, his have always been easy to read and understand, explain the why of certain controls, and tell us what choices Nikon made that may have been based on certain assumptions that may not be accurate in the real world.

PaulBearer's gear list:PaulBearer's gear list
Nikon D810 Sony a6500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
rgolub
rgolub Senior Member • Posts: 2,061

The Nikon manuals tend to be minimally helpful, impressively simplistic.  A brief example:

Nikon manual:

- 21-point dynamic-area AF: Choose when photographing subjects that are moving unpredictably (e.g., players at a football game)

Hogan's description:

-- hide signature --

RG www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
tonganqn Regular Member • Posts: 160

Anthony123 wrote:

GodSpeaks wrote:

-- hide signature --

- Rayna Butler

can you give us the link to the Amazon's book page? I've just check and Amazon.co.uk doesn't have it. I think you got confused with this other [1]

G.

[1] http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Buschs-Nikon-Digital-Photography/dp/1285084519/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349714746&sr=8-1

DiverX
DiverX Senior Member • Posts: 2,327

Download it to your smart phone or Ipad. I have my D4 manual on my Iphone just in case I ever have a question, works like a charm.

-- hide signature --
 DiverX's gear list:DiverX's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D500
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads