Sigma 17-50 EX OS HSM (Nikon) w/ defective AF: Repair or Refund???

Started Oct 6, 2012 | Discussions
Josh Jones Regular Member • Posts: 141
Sigma 17-50 EX OS HSM (Nikon) w/ defective AF: Repair or Refund???

Hi everyone,

I purchased a "used" Sigma 17-50 OS HSM from Amazon and received it today.  The listing actually stated "New - Open Box" from the seller and "used - very good" with Amazon.  Nothing was missing from the box and the warranty information had never been filled out.

Upon opening and after inspection, I attached the lens to my D7000  to verify it was in proper working condition.  I was indoors (lots of lighting, so not exactly low light), set the camera to aperture priority, F 2.8, ISO 800, 17mm spot focus and zoomed in on a flower arrangement.  The camera would not focus after 20 seconds.  It continued to "hunt" for focus and never locked.  I decided to back up a bit and zoom to 50mm and found the same end result.  I then switched from AF to manual and was able to lock focus quickly and the focus indicator accurately noted proper focus.  Took the shot and it appeared (on the lcd) to be fairly correct (may require a little fine tuning).

To verify that this was just not due to the low light in the house, I went outside (@ 2pm) and set it to AF, 50mm, F4, aperture priority, spot focus and pointed it at a pole.  I had the same findings as above, it continued to hunt for focus and would never lock.

The company I purchased the lens through states a 100% satisfaction, 30 day money back guarantee.  With that, I am debating on chancing it by sending it off to Sigma for warranty repair or just send back and get my money back.  If I send it back, I am debating on just saving and purchasing a Nikkor, however, I was really hoping this lens would work out as I would save a little extra cash that I could put toward a few other accessories.

Thank you,

Josh

Josh Jones's gear list:Josh Jones's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +2 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dockil Forum Member • Posts: 77
Re: Sigma 17-50 EX OS HSM (Nikon) w/ defective AF: Repair or Refund???

I had a similar experience with my brand new Sigma 17-50 out of the box about ten days back. I got it exchanged, second copy is great. You can see my post in Nikon dx forum. Poor QC by Sigma.

dockil's gear list:dockil's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
OP Josh Jones Regular Member • Posts: 141

thanks dockil, I will search for your post.  My only problem is that I purchased the lens as "used" or "new - open box," so they will take it back, but I will have to pay extra to get another lens as this is the only one they had.  I was thinking about adding an extra 300 (on top of the extra cost to purchase this one new) and picking up a used Nikkor 17-55, but now hearing that your second lens is in perfect working order, I may give it another try.

How fast is the AF on your new one?

Thanks

Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +2 more
dockil Forum Member • Posts: 77

Hi Josh, The auto-focus  speed on Sigma 17-50 is good and accurate . I own Nikon 40 mm micro, Nikon 85 mm 1.8 G , Nikon 70-300 AFS VR and Tokina 12-24. Out of this bunch, Nikon 70-300 is the quickest to lock on focus, while focus speed of Sigma is comparable to 40 mm and 85 mm Nikkor. However the OS of Sigma takes longer to settle as compared to Nikon VR, Today I took some test shots to evaluate OS, with good hand-holding, the keeper rate was good down to 1/8th at wider focal lengths.But battery drains faster with is lens than my other lenses ( about 25% )

So far I haven't taken lens out to shoot landscape so can't say much about corners, but center sharpness is very good even at 2.8. I will say it is comparable to my 40  mm micro at all focal lengths except 50 mm, where it is slightly softer but still very usable, which is a sharp lens. What I gather from reviews is Nikon is better in corners.

For me the deciding factor was price, stabilization and lighter weight as compared to Nikkor 17-55. Of course there are more QC control issues with third party lenses. I was very frustrated to find a defective lens out of the box, but after exchange I am happy so far. Here is shot that I took yesterday.

dockil's gear list:dockil's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
victorian squid
victorian squid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,391
I'd refund or exchange it

Unless you want to start something with Sigma, it's best to deal with the seller first used or not.

I've had incredible luck with my Sigma's, I'm apologetically in love with the brand now.

The 17-50 is a great lens, and one of the best that Sigma (or anyone) makes. I'd keep at it, as it really is the optical equal (or better) of both Nikkor and Canon's 17-55's.

Below are 2 shots at f2.8, the top one showing sharpness all the way to the edges. Top shot on windy day - showing the EXIF window and focus point. Below shot in live view so the focus point is a bit off.

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +37 more
Gary Dean Mercer Clark
Gary Dean Mercer Clark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,578

Josh Jones wrote:

Hi everyone,

I purchased a "used" Sigma 17-50 OS HSM from Amazon and received it today.  The listing actually stated "New - Open Box" from the seller and "used - very good" with Amazon.  Nothing was missing from the box and the warranty information had never been filled out.

Upon opening and after inspection, I attached the lens to my D7000  to verify it was in proper working condition.  I was indoors (lots of lighting, so not exactly low light), set the camera to aperture priority, F 2.8, ISO 800, 17mm spot focus and zoomed in on a flower arrangement.  The camera would not focus after 20 seconds.  It continued to "hunt" for focus and never locked.  I decided to back up a bit and zoom to 50mm and found the same end result.  I then switched from AF to manual and was able to lock focus quickly and the focus indicator accurately noted proper focus.  Took the shot and it appeared (on the lcd) to be fairly correct (may require a little fine tuning).

To verify that this was just not due to the low light in the house, I went outside (@ 2pm) and set it to AF, 50mm, F4, aperture priority, spot focus and pointed it at a pole.  I had the same findings as above, it continued to hunt for focus and would never lock.

The company I purchased the lens through states a 100% satisfaction, 30 day money back guarantee.  With that, I am debating on chancing it by sending it off to Sigma for warranty repair or just send back and get my money back.  If I send it back, I am debating on just saving and purchasing a Nikkor, however, I was really hoping this lens would work out as I would save a little extra cash that I could put toward a few other accessories.

Thank you,

Josh

Return the lens.  Sigma warranty covers new purchases not lenses purchased used by third parties, unless it is a refurbished lens from a Sigma authorized dealer and those are usually shorter warranties.  If there is a repair to be made to that lens--you'll have to foot the bill.  You deserve a new lens with a full warranty!  These people should be ashamed for selling a lens--labeling it new--but opened box. What a load of crap.  Once it is resold--it is USED!  Goodluck.

Gary Mercer

Gary Dean Mercer Clark's gear list:Gary Dean Mercer Clark's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sony a77 II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +17 more
OP Josh Jones Regular Member • Posts: 141

Thanks.  I returned the lens the week for last and am still waiting for a refund though.  It seems that at each step in their process they give you a 1-2 business day.  However, I did notice this weekend that they posted the same lens back for sell on Amazon.  I can not prove it, but its described the same way in the listing and it is set for the same price.  Actually, I have to say it was set at the same price, because they have now increased the price by $15.  Another reason I believe it is the same lens is because I asked if an exchange would be possible and they said no because it was the only one they had in stock.

Needless to say, once I get my refund, I am going to report them.  This is bad business all the way around.

I am just waiting for my refund now to purchase a new  Sigma 17-50 OS HSM or a used Nikkor 17-55

pixelless Contributing Member • Posts: 612

I´m pretty sure it was just a question of re-chipping it. It´s due to the back engineering done by third party makers on the AF system.

I also think you should give it another try. The lens is definitely a keeper. Very sharp, contrasty, great colors and a nice bokeh.

Eyeman7 Junior Member • Posts: 41

It's interesting to read this post - I bought the same lens second hand on Monday - it arrived tuesday and exactly the same problem. It's been sent back and I await another second hand one (from the same company) to arrive tomorrow.

I did ask them to try it out on a D7000 (as I have one). They were able to do this and confirm that it was problem free.

I've also read that it's a chip/bios issue and can easily be fixed by Sigma - it's a shame that people don't get this done before selling them - it only serves to increase returns and complaints.

Like many though - the lens is ideal for what I need so will persist as I only hear good things from those who have a good one! The combination of 2.8 and OS is exactly what I need for low light video.

Eyeman7's gear list:Eyeman7's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +4 more
magicarm New Member • Posts: 9

I've had the same problem with the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM (Nikon Mount). The lens that I purchased was new and arrived in a seal box.  I took a few test shots and it look ok maybe a little soft. Then I shot a wedding at the weekend and to my horror a large proportion of the shots the focus is in on the background and not the subject. This is a complete nightmare and terrified to have to brake the news to the couple. Going through the images at the moment and seeing which ones are usable.

I'd read really good reviews about this lens and sadly I can't back those up.  With the money I'm going to have to reimburse to the wedding couple I could have bought the nikon 17-55mm.

I´m sory to hear that. But what were you thinking going into a paid job with a lens you had never used?

A working unit focus fine... big crop

Driving my rib at 15 knots and bouncing around...

Eyeman7 Junior Member • Posts: 41

As a follow up to my last post (for anyone interested in this lens).

I recieved my second copy of the lens and it's fantastic. No focus problems (quick and silent) and is sharp enough for my liking - the OS is great for stills and hand held video so worth persevering

Eyeman7's gear list:Eyeman7's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +4 more
Enjoy it!
Marvin P New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Enjoy it!

I  just sent my copy of this lens,Canon mount, to Sigma service Center for the second time for AF problem. When this lens works it is great, it takes wonderful photos, but the AF is so erratic. It searches and searches and some times even if it does lock on the photo is or can be out of focus. I bought the lens new in Feb. 2012 from B&H so it is covered for 4 years. First time they replaced GMR sensor ( whatever that is?) and adj AF data. Can't wait to see what they do this time. I have a feeling this lens will travel between me and Sigma for 4 years!!! Took this photo today with AF locked on, using Canon 40D.

AF locked on?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads