X-E1 pre-order; yet another zoom or prime question

Started Oct 4, 2012 | Discussions
dbbarron Contributing Member • Posts: 548
X-E1 pre-order; yet another zoom or prime question

I pre-ordered an X-E1 today at a local store and faced the inevitable kit or body question (kit for now).

These days, I seem to only reach for (on my D7k) my 11-16; 35/1.8 or 80mm+ primes and zooms; even though I have many other lenses including an 18-55 and 18-70.  Thus it would stand to reason that I should get the X-E1 body and 35 to start (and later fill with the zeiss 12mm).

But....the zoom appears (not tested yet) to be such a bargain; particularly since the kit is a one time discount option.  However, it is near 3 stops slower with less DOF control than the zoom.  This difference would frustrate me.  It also seems wasteful to buy the 35 later and have the zoom sitting around doing nothing.

Any consensus or comments on what others are thinking?

(I will also post a poll question - oops - can't find polling in new forum platform....).

db

dbbarron's gear list:dbbarron's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Balthazar B Forum Member • Posts: 89
Re: X-E1 pre-order; yet another zoom or prime question

Just speaking personally but FWIW:

• The zoom is priced well, and the fact that there should be some demand for it from current XP1 owners means you'll probably at least break even on it if you sell on Ebay, etc.
  • The lenses I really want -- the 14mm or CZ 12mm, and the 23mm -- are not out yet. I'd get the 27mm pancake for times I want a pocketable camera. I don't have much use for the 35mm, as I've never enjoyed working with a normal prime. The 60mm macro is something I'm likely to get (unless a longer macro comes out), but would not want that as my only lens until the wider primes are released.
  • So I've ordered the X-E1 with the kit zoom, which I figure will tide me over until the primes I want show up. At that point I can decide to keep it or sell it, depending on whether I feel it has some unique uses the primes don't.
sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717

dbbarron wrote:

I pre-ordered an X-E1 today at a local store and faced the inevitable kit or body question (kit for now).

These days, I seem to only reach for (on my D7k) my 11-16; 35/1.8 or 80mm+ primes and zooms; even though I have many other lenses including an 18-55 and 18-70.  Thus it would stand to reason that I should get the X-E1 body and 35 to start (and later fill with the zeiss 12mm).

But....the zoom appears (not tested yet) to be such a bargain; particularly since the kit is a one time discount option.  However, it is near 3 stops slower with less DOF control than the zoom.  This difference would frustrate me.  It also seems wasteful to buy the 35 later and have the zoom sitting around doing nothing.

Any consensus or comments on what others are thinking?

(I will also post a poll question - oops - can't find polling in new forum platform....).

db

Get the kit zoom. The 35mm is great but it is relatively slow to focus. The zoom will be faster to focus and with the kit it seems a great deal (I seriously doubt this will be in the same category as your average kit zoom) - as an x-pro1 owner I would buy it from you tomorrow!

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
BillyInya
BillyInya Senior Member • Posts: 1,453

Yes, the 18-55 is an unknown quantity at this moment, however, I think it would be worth getting even if it were to turn out a little 'soft' at various points. It covers a great range, can't argue about that.

Even if you decide primes are the way to go, having the 18-55 gives you unequaled flexibility. And you are right, it is super value for money bundled in the kit.

Images won't be the quality you get from a prime but my bet is Fujinon will not disappoint with this lens.

I am hunting through this forum daily hoping to check out some images taken with the 18-55, but so far very few to actually examine. I'm keeping an eye on Roel, he seems to be right up there with things Fuji and posts very interesting and detailed info pretty quickly on his blog.

Cheer

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7000 Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
pkincy
pkincy Contributing Member • Posts: 808

The 35mm f1.4 may be one of the best lens available from any mfg.  I could not pass it up at any price.

I have ordered the XE1 with the zoom but only because I already have all the primes.

Do you want convenience or a truly great lens?  Only you can decide that answer.

Perry

simon
simon Senior Member • Posts: 2,351

Hi Db,

I (like others here) have gone for the kit deal (body + 18-55mm zoom)

I have come from a background of selling ALL my Nikon DSLR's and primes and have changed direction in photo work.

The X-E1 looks a really exciting camera.  Although I am a "prime lens type" from Nikon days I went for the zoom for two reasons:

• the packaged price, seems like great value to me
  • the desire to lessen my stock of carry everywhere lenses and have an all-round body and lens that don't weight a lot and are of a high quality

The 18-55 does seem a little oversized for the small X-E1 body 8^)

I'm so wanting to see samples from this zoom too.

-- hide signature --

- Simon, Sydney

SeanWasHere Junior Member • Posts: 33

i'm in the same boat as you.  I pre-ordered the body only, AND the kit.   I haven't decided what to cancel yet.  I have the 18-55 kit lens for my canon rebel and I never, ever, ever use it (I generally use my primes).
I'm positive the fuji kit lens will be of much better quality than the canon kit lens (big price difference, it better be), so I'm leaning towards getting it, and then selling it if it turns out I don't use it that much.

Now the harder question - which prime lens should i get first?  I'm thinking 35 to hold me over till next years lineup is released.

TitusXIII
TitusXIII Regular Member • Posts: 449

Silver, kit zoom and M-mount adapter for me.

TitusXIII's gear list:TitusXIII's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Pentax Optio W90 Canon PowerShot S110 Ricoh GR Nikon D80 +5 more
chris24net Regular Member • Posts: 289

I was lucky in that they had a Hong Kong Special Edition Pack with the XE-1 and 35mm that I bought Friday.  Which was great because I didn't have to wait to buy the XE-1 and I wanted the 35mm anyway.  But I will definitely be buying the 18-55 when it comes out.  It's a great range, fairly fast, pretty small, and offers OIS.  Plus the faster focus.  Different tools for different occasions.  Love primes and the 35mm, but sometimes a zoom is best.

-- hide signature --

www.chris-sorensen.com

threeOh Regular Member • Posts: 325

If for no other reason than to save money, the zoom. I tend to mount one lens, either a 35 or 50 equivalent on my camera and it has a permanent home. For travel, during the day I like a zoom.

I ordered the zoom for travel.  If you don't want it, sell it and your body cost will likely be below what it's selling for.  If its really good, as it may be, a lot lower.

mngsmt Regular Member • Posts: 303

My personal take on the matter: while I usually prefer primes, I'll probably buy the zoom kit and get some primes later. My main reasons:

• Occasionally I do some conference coverage and I'm hoping that the relatively bright zoom, in combination with the very good high ISO of the sensor and the OIS will have me covered for those occasions.
  • If the distortion characteristics of the zoom (maybe even with SW correction) are satisfactory, I'll probably keep it.
  • Good value of the kit. Still can sell the zoom if it doesn't satisfy me.
  • Hope for a second generation 35/1.4 with faster focus motor and waiting for the 56/1.4
Jordan Norris
Jordan Norris Regular Member • Posts: 201

I find myself in a similar boat... I'm looking at selling my nikon gear to switch to the x-system but I'm put in a sort of a pickle with lens options while working on my budget.

I've shot with the D7000(D300s before it) and 3 primes for the past few years. I had the Sigma 18-50mm macro and the nikon 70-210 f/4 before my total to conversion to primes. I basically found myself enjoying shooting with my 35mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.8 more, and the zooms sat at home collecting dust(thus started my journey towards the X-mount system before its existence); so I sold the zooms and got the 105mm f/2.8 macro.

In selling my gear it looks like I'll only have enough money to get 2 lenses.

-I miss shooting wide angle, but $600 for 18mm f/2 is a stretch for me in terms of value.

-The 35mm f/1.4 seems like a shoe-in, but with 27mm pancake coming out next year I suspect that the convenience of size and slightly wider perspective may win out in that battle(of course the lens isn't yet in existence).

-On the longer end the 56mm f/1.4 looks tempting but probably going to one of the $900+ lenses.

Right off the bat I think I'd go for the X-E1 body + 35mm f/1.4 and maybe a few Manual Nikon AI lens to use with an adapter(50mm f1.8 AI = $80 + 105mm f/2.5 AI = $200). There might be money left for the 18mm f/2.

The bother(maybe the win) is that the 27mm pancake kind of splits the 18mm and 35mm in two. I could see myself potentially leaving the 27mm lens on the camera 90% the time, essentially becoming my X100 that I've wanted for over a year, with an X-Trans sensor and the ability to change lenses when I want to shoot something in specific.(Maybe I answer my own questions but thanks for allowing me to process with you guys.)

So obviously I want the pancake(which I'll have to wait for), but if you could choose one more fujinon lens which would be? 18mm, to reopen the door to wide-angle? 35mm, for f/1.4 sharpness and pop? 18-55mm for versatility( I suspect it would stay at home like my previous zooms)? 14mm ultra-wide could be an option(maybe less useful because of size and price)? Size is a big deal for me as it's the whole reason I'm switching systems. Decisions decisions, I can't complain though, all wonderful options.

-- hide signature --

Finally coming to the simple realization that a decent camera that is with me always, would be much better than precision tool that I leave at home.

Jordan Norris's gear list:Jordan Norris's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
armanius Contributing Member • Posts: 869

I pre-ordered the black with the zoom lens.

But wondering whether to get the 35/1.4 right now, or wait for the Zeiss 32/1.8. I get the feeling the Zeiss will be at least twice the price of the 35/1.4.

The lens that I'm really waiting for is the 23/1.4 ... drool ...

-- hide signature --

Armanius
Total Noob Photographer

armanius's gear list:armanius's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha a7
JohanP Senior Member • Posts: 1,138

I ordered a black X-E1, kit zoom and the 35/1.4. I will buy the 55-200 when it's available. Maybe later a wideangle  but I have noticed that I don't use them much. I will replace my huge photo backpack with the light weight Lowepro Sport 200AW. The X-E1 with 35/1.4 can then always be with me wherever I go.. whatever I do!

JohanP's gear list:JohanP's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +2 more
steve mallen Regular Member • Posts: 399
Body only + 35mm f/1.4

For me, I've just pre-ordered the body only.  Will probably pick up the 35mm f/1.4 at the same time, even though it's more expensive.  The zoom does look versatile and good value, but the 3 things that lead me in the direction of the 35mm (apart from the f/1.4 speed advantage) are: size (barrel length),  weight and last but not least, minimum focus distance:

• 35mm f/1.4 R : 54.9mm, 187g, 28cm
  • 18-55mm F2.8-4 R: ~84mm, 310g, ~35cm

Note that 35mm is around half-way between the zoom range, so I've approximated the barrel length and min focus distance at that point (assuming a roughly linear scale and using Fuji's specs for the wide and tele ends).

So, with the 35mm I get 2 extra stops speed and can focus about 3 inches closer while the lens itself is nearly half the weight and over an inch shorter.  53mm (equiv) is a nice focal length.  It's similar to an outstanding lens I had for my Contax Aria years ago: the Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 60mm f/2.8 (without the Macro abilities of course).  If this Fuji 35mm is half as good as that, I'll be happy.  I'll just zoom with my feet!

I will probably need a wide option later on, probably the 18mm f/2.  The upcoming 55-200 zoom looks like an interesting proposition at the tele end...

Cheers,

-Steve

armanius Contributing Member • Posts: 869
Re: Body only + 35mm f/1.4

I had a XPro1 with the 35/1.4, and did like the 35/1.4 very much. But I just keep wondering if that Zeiss 32/1.8 is going to be far superior (or not) than the 35/1.4. If it is, it might be worthwhile for me to ride the zoom lens until next year for its versatility, and then get the Zeiss 32/1.8 when it's out. If I get the 35/1.4 now, I'm going to have to root that the Zeiss won't be any good (so that I don't have to go through the hassle of selling the 35/1.4 before buying the Zeiss)!  

-- hide signature --

Armanius
Total Noob Photographer

armanius's gear list:armanius's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha a7
nawknai Senior Member • Posts: 1,043

Do you want to zoom, or not?   This is the only thing you need to ask yourself.

And my view is, if you don't want something, then paying ​anything​ for it is too much.

The only reason I'd get it is to sell it later, but I'm lazy, so I wouldn't deal with  the shipping.

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
steve mallen Regular Member • Posts: 399
Re: Body only + 35mm f/1.4

armanius wrote:

I had a XPro1 with the 35/1.4, and did like the 35/1.4 very much. But I just keep wondering if that Zeiss 32/1.8 is going to be far superior (or not) than the 35/1.4.

Hmm, interesting.  Good point.  I had forgot about the upcoming Zeiss 32mm.  I may have to reconsider... Will need to see the exact specs (size, weight, min. focus etc) along with the cost (I expect it to be more expensive than the Fuji 35mm - some sources say around 1000 Euros =~ £800, 300 quid more expensive than the Fujinon).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads