What "IF" no D300 replacement? What next?

Started Oct 4, 2012 | Discussions
str8pipe
str8pipe Regular Member • Posts: 326
What "IF" no D300 replacement? What next?

I'm only an amateur photographer that shoots purely as a hobby and just like a big percentage on here waiting for the D300 replacement. I gave myself a deadline of Spring 2013 before making a decision at what will be my next purchase. My only decent option so far is a D800 and will be used mostly in DX mode for the same reason why we use DX camera.

If there is no replacement which is not impossible, what are your plans?

str8pipe's gear list:str8pipe's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS +30 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
torags Senior Member • Posts: 1,574
Re: What "IF" no D300 replacement? What next?

To do nothing  & keep shooting with the 300S.

Ain't no big thing...

-- hide signature --

Rags

n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,525

Get a spare D200 or D300

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +7 more
Stevbrkr
Stevbrkr Forum Member • Posts: 55

I will just keep using my D300 until it dies.

Stevbrkr's gear list:Stevbrkr's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Gazeomon
Gazeomon Contributing Member • Posts: 552

There is still a lot of life left in my D300s. It's hard to know what kind of cameras will be around in about 2-3 years from now. If Nikon decides to let the semi pro DX line die, I'll probably switch brands, maybe mirror less Fuji X pro 'whatever', they make great lenses. I won't go FX, too heavy/big, expensive. Not sure if I could do nature and action photography the way I do it now with the Fuji system. A D400 would be the 'logical' upgrade to the D300/s and not the 'half @rsed' D6oo. It is a different photographic platform. Shooting The D800 in DX mode must be like driving a Mac Laren stuck in 2. gear on a goat track (I am only guessing of course). I am not worried about camera bodies (there are plenty of good cameras around). It's the lenses which give me 'pain' and pangs of desire. Cheers, Hans

-- hide signature --

Hans

Gazeomon's gear list:Gazeomon's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Samsung NX500 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +10 more
Ronan_M
Ronan_M Senior Member • Posts: 1,414

I'm not planning to upgrade my D300s in the short / med term. And when I do, I will take a very close look at what's available on the mirrorless front.

Cameras such as the new Olympus OM-D 5 are now providing superb IQ and features and can only get better. I'm kind of tired of carrying around a big camera with big lenses. Sometimes, I find myself leaving the D300s behind and picking up my old D80 with a cheap 28-80 lens as "just in case" camera, which is much better than no camera at all.

For me - a complete amateur- this is the direction I will likely follow some years from now. I dont see a D400 in my future.

Kerry Pierce
MOD Kerry Pierce Forum Pro • Posts: 19,757

str8pipe wrote:

I'm only an amateur photographer that shoots purely as a hobby and just like a big percentage on here waiting for the D300 replacement. I gave myself a deadline of Spring 2013 before making a decision at what will be my next purchase. My only decent option so far is a D800 and will be used mostly in DX mode for the same reason why we use DX camera.

I too, am hoping for the d400 by spring of 2013.  But, I don't see a d800 being a replacement for the d300.   If I do get a d800, it will be after they have fixed the AF problems and any other issues and it will be for use only as a general purpose, but primarily landscape, camera.  Actually, I'm more attracted to the d600, at this point in time.

If there is no replacement which is not impossible, what are your plans?

It's too early to make plans. Spring of 13 is many months away and lots of time for more information to come out, not only on Nikon but Canon and other brands.  Until more "factual" information, from trusted sources, is available, I won't be making any plans for a new body.

Kerry

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 10,244
There will be no next ...

str8pipe wrote:

I'm only an amateur photographer that shoots purely as a hobby and just like a big percentage on here waiting for the D300 replacement.  ... If there is no replacement which is not impossible, what are your plans?

.. Life and the planet as we know it will surely end if there is no D300 replacement. I am not one of the "big percentage" and am perfectly happy with my newly-acquired D300.

David

backayonder Senior Member • Posts: 1,227
Re: There will be no next ...

Why are you waiting for a D300/S replacement? What can't you do with your current camera that you hope to achieve with a D400?

As consumers we have all been taken for a ride I think.

Cheers

-- hide signature --
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 10,244
Wrong person!

backayonder wrote:

Why are you waiting for a D300/S replacement? What can't you do with your current camera that you hope to achieve with a D400?

As consumers we have all been taken for a ride I think.

I think you meant to reply to str8pipe, not me - so you were preaching to the converted.

David

seahawk
seahawk Senior Member • Posts: 2,874
There will be a replacement

It is hard to believe that Nikon will have no camera between 2000$ and 1000$. It is hard to imagine that you can take the D600 sensor and cut the specs of the body down to a D3200 level to fill this price range.  But it is easy to imagine that you can take the D3200 sensor and put it in a D800 body to fill that price range.

-- hide signature --

hobby aviation photographer

Antony John Senior Member • Posts: 1,252

A newly designed forum with a dedicated 'Pro DX'  would seem to indicate that the D300 is 'alive and kicking' and maybe DPR know something more

We all live in hope.

-- hide signature --

AJ
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

Antony John's gear list:Antony John's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon D810 +22 more
Gazeomon
Gazeomon Contributing Member • Posts: 552

Ronan_M wrote:

I'm not planning to upgrade my D300s in the short / med term. And when I do, I will take a very close look at what's available on the mirrorless front.

Cameras such as the new Olympus OM-D 5 are now providing superb IQ and features and can only get better. I'm kind of tired of carrying around a big camera with big lenses. Sometimes, I find myself leaving the D300s behind and picking up my old D80 with a cheap 28-80 lens as "just in case" camera, which is much better than no camera at all.

For me - a complete amateur- this is the direction I will likely follow some years from now. I dont see a D400 in my future.

I often get my old D50 out, mostly with a SIGMA 70mm f2.8 macro and it does a darn good job. These big cameras maybe on their way out. Somehow I sense a change in the way we take images in a not too distant future. The future has already arrived to some degree (MILC, m4/3 etc.), but I think this is just the beginning of things to come. I am not too worried if a D400 arrives or not but I like to stay with my shooting style (nature, b.i.f., surfing action). The D300s is still plenty good enough for an amateur like me. Do I further invest in NIKON glass? No! It's 'wait and see' time. Good luck and Cheers, Hans

-- hide signature --

Hans

Gazeomon's gear list:Gazeomon's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Samsung NX500 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +10 more
str8pipe
OP str8pipe Regular Member • Posts: 326
Re: There will be no next ...

backayonder wrote:

Pretty simple, better ISO performance to increase my shutter speed.
I sold my D300 prematurely in 2010 where I thought depreciation was still low. Got a D90 for a few months and was replaced for a D7000. It became a question of priorities, focus speed or image quality? I still have my D7000 and I would buy another D300 if the price would come down to $6-700.

str8pipe's gear list:str8pipe's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS +30 more
ForeignerOnEarth Regular Member • Posts: 224

I asked in the beginning of 2010 year one of the local Nikon rep when will come D400.

He answered: "D400 will appear very, very late, I do not know it exactly, but my tip is February 2013." I did not believe him, three years seemed to be unbelievable long time. But now I know - he was exact right.

I believe the propability of D400 next year is 90%.  But the question here is what to do if not.

I have DX 10-24, DX 16-85 VR, DX 17-55/2.8, DX 35/1.8,  DX 55-300 VR, FX 85/1.8 and FX (but better for DX) 70-200/2.8 VR I.   I am not pro and NO WAY OUT FROM NIKON DX TO ME.

What can I do?

1. Use D300 long time, I have it 5 years and I can continue next 2-5 years

2. After long time I will buy:

- the best DX body, but not worse than D7x00,

- or FX body for DX crop

Both possibilities are not optimal - FX body has only 0.70x viewfinder magnification for DX crop and D7x00 has worse ergonomy, worse handgrip, not solid AF, ....

3. I can switch to another system include another company only in the time I will feel all my DX lenses are merited, obsolete, scuffed.  I will not sell my pretty lenses for low price.

Now I do not have alternative I must wait for the new situation after 2-5 years, because:

I do not need and want FX equipment.

I do not believe Canon that the Canon APS-C destiny will be much better than Nikon DX destiny.

I do not believe Pentax can ever have Nikon power, Nikon AF force and Nikon quality of lenses.

I do not like any Sony strategy and their products and I consider many Sony lenses as bad and only very few of them are perfect (some Minolta inheritance)

I do not believe Olympus and Panasonic m43, but I must admit they make very intensive development.

But .... I love optical viewfinder, no EVF. I love phase detection AF and I have unfailing equipment now.

I would not like the descision making:  Nikon FX classic DSLR, but heavy and very expensive OR Olympus (Panasonic) m43 with EVF, small sensor, not-Nikkor lenses.....

ForeignerOnEarth's gear list:ForeignerOnEarth's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +16 more
Inars Forum Member • Posts: 55

Yeah, my deadline is spring 2013. On general photography, all is ok. My D200 has a half of life.

I'm ended up indors sports shooting, some youth activities - dance, etc. Some kind's moms have newest technique I wish to come back with D400...

If not, what next? PanaFuji, maybe D800X with 24Mp and 8Fps

Inars's gear list:Inars's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
Inars Forum Member • Posts: 55

Oh, ja. Wrong person, don't like this forum structure, sorry

Inars's gear list:Inars's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
gl2k
gl2k Veteran Member • Posts: 3,232

high end DX models like the D300s won't come any more. dead meat.

obviously it's Nikons strategy to cover the market with low to mid level models in the DX segment while delivering the high end models only in FX format.

this wouldn't be a problem if it were only about IQ. unfortunately a camera is more than IQ. it's also about handling, durability and features. with respect to these properties low and mid level models suck. often enough they are artificially crippled to not cannibalize their bigger sisters.

that said. i'm afraid but the serious enthusiasts will be forced to go FX if they want to enjoy pro like properties (durability, features, ...)

pinkydeh Regular Member • Posts: 108

stick with the camera i have no need to buy UP. i can even buy DOWN by getting d7000 to go with d300s

mstar Contributing Member • Posts: 536

If Nikon doesn't release a successor to the D300s, I will just keep shooting with my D80, and spend the camera fund on lenses or other hobbies.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads